Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

1 minute ago, SaveloyMush said:

That's because he's now got two proper number 10s in the middle 2 positions.

Tend to agree. Armstrong is a key player for us along with Romeu, in this system. However, Moy has given us something we’ve never had, and that’s a player similar to Armstrong (good on the ball can drop in the pocket) on the left side. 

Moi has really balanced the team. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dman said:

Tend to agree. Armstrong is a key player for us along with Romeu, in this system. However, Moy has given us something we’ve never had, and that’s a player similar to Armstrong (good on the ball can drop in the pocket) on the left side. 

Moi always had the technical ability, but no pace. I was harsh on him when he arrived, for trying to skin full-backs, when he clearly didn't have the skill-set. That led to a loss of confidence and a subsequent shipping off to Scotland.

He has returned as a more mature player, now used in a system that rewards intelligent play, into which he fits like a glove. He is not a winger, more of an inside attacking midfielder, perfect for the 4-2-2-2.

Wonderful to see.

Edited by SaveloyMush
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dman said:

Terrible miss today though

Just now, Sheaf Saint said:

Do you mean the header from the FK? I can only assume that he didn't fully commit at the last second to avoid taking Salisu's high boot in the face.

Yeah, to be fair Salisu boot was in the air but to not hit the target from 5 yards out with a free header isn’t great. He’s been great this season though, proved us all wrong 

14 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Life is good in the cult right now

I think we can all just be greatful we had semmens in charge as opposed to the boo boys. It's probably the biggest example of humble pie eating you'll see on this forum - that or the JWP boo boys going silent 😋). 

What Ralph has done with the team is extremely impressive given the financial constraints he's operated with. He's changed out so much dross from the playing staff, got us playing great football, and instilled a very determined winning mentality. I think the sings were always there, but it just took the final shipping out of slow plauers like bertie and vest to really unlock our attack.

Future looks good atm. Could see us challenging for top 8 over the coming fixtures, and maybe an cup run again? 

Edited by Saint86

I do think Elyounoussi has really helped as he can play as a 10. Does make me think we should look to invest in another class 10 ASAP. We can't really do with two which play the system well, one of which is very injury prone and the other prone to patchy form. Now we know wingers like Djenepo and Walcott don't work we should look to offload them and replace with players that do. Happy to keep Tella and Redmond incase we need players who can play wide as they also double as good forward depth.

34 minutes ago, TWar said:

I do think Elyounoussi has really helped as he can play as a 10. Does make me think we should look to invest in another class 10 ASAP. We can't really do with two which play the system well, one of which is very injury prone and the other prone to patchy form. Now we know wingers like Djenepo and Walcott don't work we should look to offload them and replace with players that do. Happy to keep Tella and Redmond incase we need players who can play wide as they also double as good forward depth.

Any suggestions?

12 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Any suggestions?

Jorge De Frutos is doing well in La Liga and we've been linked previously. I think he'd be a decent option.

If we are looking back in the Championship, I like the look of John Swift for Reading. Putting up very nice numbers from a central position. 

Tino Anjorin is still an option too ofcouse, although he has yet to start a game for Huddersfield so will have to see what his injury status is like.

Big budget option would be maybe we could convince Noni Madueke that the best thing for his career is to spend a couple of seasons starting regularly in the prem before making the step up to a top side. Play the "perfect stepping stone for young talent" card. Unlikely though unless we miraculously scrape our way to europe.

20 minutes ago, TWar said:

Jorge De Frutos is doing well in La Liga and we've been linked previously. I think he'd be a decent option.

If we are looking back in the Championship, I like the look of John Swift for Reading. Putting up very nice numbers from a central position. 

Tino Anjorin is still an option too ofcouse, although he has yet to start a game for Huddersfield so will have to see what his injury status is like.

Big budget option would be maybe we could convince Noni Madueke that the best thing for his career is to spend a couple of seasons starting regularly in the prem before making the step up to a top side. Play the "perfect stepping stone for young talent" card. Unlikely though unless we miraculously scrape our way to europe.

Cheers

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Some guy called Marc on Twitter has done nothing but slag off RH, the players and the club for months now, if not at least a year.

It’s quite funny watching him trying to retract his previous statements 🤣🤣

What a nob.

Why can't he just do the honorable thing and disappear completely, like Duckhunter?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Some guy called Marc on Twitter has done nothing but slag off RH, the players and the club for months now, if not at least a year.

What a nob.

What's his name.....perhaps we can wind him up?😄

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

What a nob.

32 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

What's his name.....perhaps we can wind him up?😄

Marc Higgins

I've been pulling him up on his bullshit for years, he has now blocked me. 😁

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Saint86 said:

I think we can all just be greatful we had semmens in charge as opposed to the boo boys. It's probably the biggest example of humble pie eating you'll see on this forum - that or the JWP boo boys going silent 😋). 

What Ralph has done with the team is extremely impressive given the financial constraints he's operated with. He's changed out so much dross from the playing staff, got us playing great football, and instilled a very determined winning mentality. I think the sings were always there, but it just took the final shipping out of slow plauers like bertie and vest to really unlock our attack.

Future looks good atm. Could see us challenging for top 8 over the coming fixtures, and maybe an cup run again? 

What a load of f**king horseshit you post sometimes.

What humble pie? What boo boys - people who voiced an opinion that the manager for a massive run was beyond hopeless, weird tactics, refusal to change much at all and looking helpless on the touch line - at many points on that run Ralph was clueless and didnt appear to know what to do.

Ralph could have easily been shown the door long ago when we went on that truly awful run.

Very few people would have moaned had he been sacked had that happened.

It has turned out well that he wasnt, but that isn’t humble pie. 

You mention Bertie & Vesty unlocking our attack - well this is the same Ralph that was trying to get them to sign a new contract 😂

Like I said, it has worked out well, but who knows, Mr Hindsight, maybe we would be playing much better had someone else came in. For all you know, that is a possibility.

Apologies if you feel I’m singling you out, as you have suggested before - just you tend to go on about the people who moaned, rightly, about Ralph during the worlds worst run of results.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

What humble pie? What boo boys - people who voiced an opinion that the manager for a massive run was beyond hopeless, weird tactics, refusal to change much at all and looking helpless on the touch line - at many points on that run Ralph was clueless and didnt appear to know what to do.

Ralph could have easily been shown the door long ago when we went on that truly awful run.

You mention Bertie & Vesty unlocking our attack - well this is the same Ralph that was trying to get them to sign a new contract 😂

Like I said, it has worked out well, but who knows, Mr Hindsight, maybe we would be playing much better had someone else came in. For all you know, that is a possibility.

Apologies if you feel I’m singling you out, as you have suggested before - just you tend to go on about the people who moaned, rightly, about Ralph during the worlds worst run of results.

Exactly. 

The cult were so named because in their eyes he could do no wrong. Even when he admitted he had, they still refused to see it. Ralph was f**king woeful last season but a small slice of humble pie need to be eaten,  because nobody really thought he could change tactically. The antis didn’t and I don’t recall too many of the cult saying he needed to change tactics, they  were actually happy with his tactics last season. He’s shown a lot more flexibility this season and we’re a lot harder to beat, exactly what we were calling for. Personally I thought he was a one trick pony, he’s shown lately he isn’t. Long May it continue. 

As for the general running of the club, as you’ve pointed out the club wanted to keep Vesty, &  Ings (not so sure about Bertrand) so this isn’t some sort of plan that’s suddenly all come together. Broja has made a massive difference to how we can play, so let’s hope there’s a plan in place for next season because Armstrong just doesn’t offer us the same options. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

While I was on the side of Ralph, nobody should have a problem with alternative viewpoints and there were difficult times last year when I also had my doubts about his management. My only annoyance was the need of some to shout down those who supported Ralph by dismissing their views through insults; "the cult", "fanboys".  I am not suggesting that you are one of those individuals merely that I can understand why many people want to see those throwing the insults previously now taking their punishment and "eating humble-pie". 

One of the reasons that I stuck on the side of Ralph was all the positives that he brought to our team; leadership, vision, direction, style, entertainment (particularly when we were winning 🙂 ) and development of players. He was also hindered by legacy transfer mistakes, an uninterested owner, an uncompetitive transfer budget and an awful injury situation in the 2nd half of last season. Many of the negative points you make can be traced to those reasons; or were relatively minor when contrasted with the positives. 

He isn't perfect. Well - actually, I think he is perfect for Saints. Sure he has his faults, but I feel he has the right skills and attributes for us; if he was even a little better, the bigger team vultures would take him off us.   Let's enjoy his commitment and progression with Saints while he is here.... 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

nobody really thought he could change tactically. The antis didn’t and I don’t recall too many of the cult saying he needed to change tactics, they  were actually happy with his tactics last season.

Some thought he didn't need to change, we just needed to back him with a better and deeper squad. These people were correct and have been proven as such.

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Apparently joining up with Hudds next week. 

His injury status may well have been a reason we didn't push too hard for him in January, I guess we want to see how he recovers as well (He's been injured since Nov apparently).

He'll be going into a positive team though who look on the up, which can only be a good thing in order to showcase his talents.

Edited by S-Clarke

3 minutes ago, TWar said:

Some thought he didn't need to change, we just needed to back him with a better and deeper squad. These people were correct and have been proven as such.

I think that's it really, his tactical inflexibility kept being brought up but I'd say that was generally down to a lack of options to choose from. We were pretty rigid.

This is probably the first season that Ralph has had close too what I'd call 'his team' and the 'depth' he requires, and look at what he's doing with it.

It would have always been absolutely mental to ditch him and I'm glad the club didn't flinch. That's why I've got so much trust in Martin and co, they have their heads screwed on.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, WALK DMC said:

While I was on the side of Ralph, nobody should have a problem with alternative viewpoints and there were difficult times last year when I also had my doubts about his management. My only annoyance was the need of some to shout down those who supported Ralph by dismissing their views through insults; "the cult", "fanboys".  I am not suggesting that you are one of those individuals merely that I can understand why many people want to see those throwing the insults previously now taking their punishment and "eating humble-pie". 

One of the reasons that I stuck on the side of Ralph was all the positives that he brought to our team; leadership, vision, direction, style, entertainment (particularly when we were winning 🙂 ) and development of players. He was also hindered by legacy transfer mistakes, an uninterested owner, an uncompetitive transfer budget and an awful injury situation in the 2nd half of last season. Many of the negative points you make can be traced to those reasons; or were relatively minor when contrasted with the positives. 

He isn't perfect. Well - actually, I think he is perfect for Saints. Sure he has his faults, but I feel he has the right skills and attributes for us; if he was even a little better, the bigger team vultures would take him off us.   Let's enjoy his commitment and progression with Saints while he is here.... 

Whether you like it or not, Ralph is a class manager and you can see it right through his time here.

When we struggled last season we had a horrible injury list and next to no depth. That s not the manager s fault.

Also how people can say that they are fed up with Ralph ball? 
Pressing and working hard is what I always want from my team and how it should be going forward with our playbook irrespective whether Ralph is still here or not.

Having half arsed players playing for half arsed managers like Hughes and Pellegrino ismy worst nightmare.

When we go off form again because it happens to all teams, I hope fans don t get on the team s and manager s back again as you need a long term outlook just as I have been saying consistently here.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

I think that's it really, his tactical inflexibility kept being brought up but I'd say that was generally down to a lack of options to choose from. We were pretty rigid.

This is probably the first season that Ralph has had close too what I'd call 'his team' and the 'depth' he requires, and look at what he's doing with it.

It would have always been absolutely mental to ditch him and I'm glad the club didn't flinch. That's why I've got so much trust in Martin and co, they have their heads screwed on.

Bingo, also glad we didn't sell JWP like some of the anti Ralph lot wanted. He has been amazing of late.

• Like 3

On 14/08/2021 at 20:23, Lord Duckhunter said:

Personally, I’d go for John Terry. But of a gamble but may give us a bit of the leadership we need. 

Some say they were calling for more flexibility and being harder to beat, while others were calling for John Terry to take charge. 🤣

• Haha 7

26 minutes ago, WALK DMC said:

Agree with a lot of this, I wasn't calling for his head but I was hugely concerned. 

16 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Some say they were calling for more flexibility and being harder to beat, while others were calling for John Terry to take charge. 🤣

On 14/08/2021 at 20:23, Lord Duckhunter said:

Howe can’t organise a defence anymore than Ralph can. 

Personally, I’d go for John Terry. But of a gamble but may give us a bit of the leadership we need. 

Laughing Man Lol GIF

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

In modern football people seem to always blame the manager. People moaned about Benitez and now Lampard looks just as poor, people moaned about Dean Smith and now Villa fans call for Gerrards head due to one win in 9 and losses to Brentford, Watford and Newcastle. Eddie Howe is another example. Newcastles form barely changed when he took over, suddenly they are now looking a lot better, was it a new manager? Absolutely not, they just spent £80m+ on players (probably north of £100m when add ons are considered).

New manager bounces I think trick people into thinking a "sack first and ask questions later" mentality is right. People don't stop to think maybe the players are the issue, lack of quality, lack of depth, freak injuries etc.

Our board did and they deserve massive credit for it. The easy answer of "the buck stops at the guy picking the team, why didn't he simply pick a better team to play today?" is rarely correct.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, TWar said:

Mixing up his tactics which and formations have also been a factor.

He seems to have a team that plays two ways now and as you rightly say a lot is down to squad depth.

I do think Broja has made a massive difference to the way we play.

5 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Mixing up his tactics which and formations have also been a factor.

He seems to have a team that plays two ways now and as you rightly say a lot is down to squad depth.

I do think Broja has made a massive difference to the way we play.

Yeah I mean, we couldn't play one up top before Broja as we didn't have a striker who played well alone. We couldn't really do 3atb most of last season as we didn't have 3 fit CBs and a back up on the bench, we couldn't do a 3 man midfield as Diallo and Romeu weren't often simultaneuously fit and Smallbone was injured. We couldn't have an attacking formation where both fullbacks pushed on and Romeu sat in the back three as we didn't have two fullbacks who could meaningfully contribute to the attack (Bertrand was poor). Now we have three incredibly talented fullbacks so not only can we play like that but we can do so consistently as we have someone to step in if one gets injured.

We mix up our tactics and formations now, but I don't think it's because Ralph has suddenly realised thats a thing he can do. It's because now we have the players to do it effectively.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Speaking personally, I never said he would definitely turn it around, just that he had to be given more of a chance given the injury problems and his past successes. It was the "out" brigade who were so convinced of their own opinion that they would have got rid of our best manager since Poch

4 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The cult were so named because in their eyes he could do no wrong. Even when he admitted he had, they still refused to see it

But this just isn't true. Go back and read it and you'll see that even his most ardent supporters on this thread fully acknowledged that he has flaws and isn't infallible. 

Why don't you just admit that you were so blinded by your opposition to him you couldn't handle the fact that some people didn't see it the same as you so you came up with a bullshit label to apply to them to make you feel better.

Edited by Sheaf Saint
  • Like 4

51 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I agree mostly with this although I do think if you don't have the options for the tactic, you shouldn't be using the tactic. Thankfully, he now has the options so it's a mute point.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

But this just isn't true. Go back and read it and you'll see that even his most ardent supporters on this thread fully acknowledged that he has flaws and isn't infallible. 

Why don't you just admit that you were so blinded by your opposition to him you couldn't handle the fact that some people didn't see it the same as you so you came up a bullshit label to apply to them to make you feel better.

Yeah, but.... "cult"...."son-in-law"..."pony".... "John Terry".... innit? 😂

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Speaking personally, I never said he would definitely turn it around, just that he had to be given more of a chance given the injury problems and his past successes. It was the "out" brigade who were so convinced of their own opinion that they would have got rid of our best manager since Poch

I'm not sure there was this out brigade hing though.

Maybe a couple of die hard ones who may not change opinion, but not sure even who they were.

I'm sure people suggest Duckhunter is one of them, and I'm not sure he was, but likely people will think so.

2 hours ago, TWar said:

Yeah I mean, we couldn't play one up top before Broja as we didn't have a striker who played well alone. We couldn't really do 3atb most of last season as we didn't have 3 fit CBs and a back up on the bench, we couldn't do a 3 man midfield as Diallo and Romeu weren't often simultaneuously fit and Smallbone was injured. We couldn't have an attacking formation where both fullbacks pushed on and Romeu sat in the back three as we didn't have two fullbacks who could meaningfully contribute to the attack (Bertrand was poor). Now we have three incredibly talented fullbacks so not only can we play like that but we can do so consistently as we have someone to step in if one gets injured.

We mix up our tactics and formations now, but I don't think it's because Ralph has suddenly realised thats a thing he can do. It's because now we have the players to do it effectively.

We had the same players at the start of the season but the tactics didn’t work. Since Ralph dropped Armstrong and started with Broja our form has improved.

1 hour ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

We had the same players at the start of the season but the tactics didn’t work. Since Ralph dropped Armstrong and started with Broja our form has improved.

We have a complicated system, it takes a while for newer players to pick it up. They have been here a while now and they are nicely gelled and are doing great.

As for Broja vs Armstrong, ofcourse Broja had to wait to take his chance, he was much less proven coming into the season. He also had a poor cup game early on which probably set him back in claiming the spot. He fought for his spot and he claimed it, as it should be.

3 hours ago, Billy the Kidd said:

I'm sure people suggest Duckhunter is one of them, and I'm not sure he was, but likely people will think so.

I thought he should have gone in the summer. You’re right in one respect though, despite people claiming I’m constantly calling for his head, once the season started I’ve not been calling for his head, even after a pretty horrible start. Im sure the cult won’t, but the time to judge a managers performance in a season, is when you’ve played everyone twice. Let’s hope we’ve put the horrific tactical fuck ups to bed and continue with the consistent high standards of the past month. I’d love to see us make up for the lame semi final surrender by going one better this season. I’ll even allow him a little cry if we do. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, TWar said:

We have a complicated system, it takes a while for newer players to pick it up. They have been here a while now and they are nicely gelled and are doing great.

As for Broja vs Armstrong, ofcourse Broja had to wait to take his chance, he was much less proven coming into the season. He also had a poor cup game early on which probably set him back in claiming the spot. He fought for his spot and he claimed it, as it should be.

I admit that I was wrong with Ralph, although at the time he was losing faith from a lot of the fan base, but I don’t agree with your stance that it’s solely down to players at his disposal.

Not playing 90 minutes of a 4222 formation has helped. The little things like taking an injury break halfway through the second half. Foster being able to play it long knowing we have someone that can win it.

Being better shaped when we go down to 10 men, as we did against Spurs.

Lots of little things he’s without doubt changed that have improved us.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I thought he should have gone in the summer. You’re right in one respect though, despite people claiming I’m constantly calling for his head, once the season started I’ve not been calling for his head, even after a pretty horrible start. Im sure the cult won’t, but the time to judge a managers performance in a season, is when you’ve played everyone twice. Let’s hope we’ve put the horrific tactical fuck ups to bed and continue with the consistent high standards of the past month. I’d love to see us make up for the lame semi final surrender by going one better this season. I’ll even allow him a little cry if we do. 

Welcome Back sir, I was starting to worry. 

35 minutes ago, TWar said:

Neither were proven at this level and as shown, scoring in the championship doesn’t equate to goals in the premier league. 

it took me probably 20 minutes to see this guy is the real deal. 

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

Neither were proven at this level and as shown, scoring in the championship doesn’t equate to goals in the premier league. 

it took me probably 20 minutes to see this guy is the real deal. 

He had played significantly more senior football at a higher level and had come off the back of a significantly more successful season.

Judging a player on 20 mins and making your mind up isn't something to be proud of, even if you did happen to be right on this instance. It shows your judgement is based on the bare minimum evidence and any accurate observations were probably luck.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl