Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

30 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

I would be utterly appalled at the idea of Rooney being our manager. He pledged loyalty to Deby and has just walked out

He said he'd stay if they were a fully functioning club. Which they weren't in time for pre-season. So it is harsh to be appalled by his resignation. 

What he said in mid-May... https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/wayne-rooney-sets-out-one-7084528

Edited by Matthew Le God

35 minutes ago, aintforever said:

I don’t get all this wanking over Rooney, if Derby hadn’t had the points deducted they would have finished I think 17th. Not exactly the sign of a managerial genius.

- The squad was stripped of players 

- He was only able to bring in loans and free transfers

- Hit with two points deductions and likely relegation motivating a team isn't easy

And yet he earned enough points (without the deduction) to finish comfortably safe. I'd say that is pretty impressive!

I'm not saying I do or don't want him at Saints should Hassenhüttl mess up, it is hard to know how Rooney would do at a higher level. But I certainly wouldn't be dismissive of what he did last season in extremely difficult circumstances. 

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, aintforever said:

I don’t get all this wanking over Rooney, if Derby hadn’t had the points deducted they would have finished I think 17th. Not exactly the sign of a managerial genius.

Ralph gets wanked over with far less to deal with.....

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

It'll be interesting to see how Rooney gets on without Liam Rosenior, who was his highly rated assistant at Derby. Nobody expected Rooney to be a good manager, because he's as dim as they come alongside his off pitch activities. However, he did well at a club with no expectations and he could be a surprise. But, then it could also be another Paul Ince/Ray Mathias situation.

28 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

- The squad was stripped of players 

- He was only able to bring in loans and free transfers

- Hit with two points deductions and likely relegation motivating a team isn't easy

And yet he earned enough points (without the deduction) to finish comfortably safe. I'd say that is pretty impressive!

I'm not saying I do or don't want him at Saints should Hassenhüttl mess up, it is hard to know how Rooney would do at a higher level. But I certainly wouldn't be dismissive of what he did last season in extremely difficult circumstances. 

It’s fair to say he did a decent job that’s for sure, I don’t know enough about the quality of his squad to say how well to be honest. Derby had obviously spent a fair bit to be in the position they are though. If his name wasn’t Wayne Rooney I doubt there would be many people thinking he’s done enough to land a Prem job.

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

He had threats of bankruptcy to deal with, he lost players, he couldn't sign, had concerns over players not getting paid, had one points deduction then another. It was an impossible situation and at one point at looked like he'd keep them up. He did well on any assesment - I don't get how you can't see that. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Kenilworthy said:

I would be utterly appalled at the idea of Rooney being our manager. He pledged loyalty to Deby and has just walked out

He stayed untill the end despite having the rug being totally ripped from under him and all his hard work being undermined - and despite that, he still gave it a very good go of staying up. The Derby fans loved him and have been all over the place saying that despite everything, rooney gave them the happiest season many could remember.

Given that, I'd say "Appalled" is a bit strong... 😅

They're on the cusp on being taken over now but have had their squad ravished and still aren't in a position to rebuild. I think it's fair enough that he feels exhausted by it and wants to step away having done all he could last year as a new manager. 

Regardless, he's a young manager to watch and it will be interesting what job he goes for next. 

Edited by Saint86

1 hour ago, egg said:

He had threats of bankruptcy to deal with, he lost players, he couldn't sign, had concerns over players not getting paid, had one points deduction then another. It was an impossible situation and at one point at looked like he'd keep them up. He did well on any assesment - I don't get how you can't see that. 

Its actually bizzare how some can be quite so negative about him. He's did well in the face of extreme adversity. Needs to be tested at a higher level (which clearly isn't league 1), but could have a bright future. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Its actually bizzare how some can be quite so negative about him. He's did well in the face of extreme adversity. Needs to be tested at a higher level (which clearly isn't league 1), but could have a bright future. 

I mean there are some on here who claim Howe was a failure / underachiever at Bournemouth, despite taking them from the bottom of the football league to a sustained period of time the in the premier league… 

predominantly the same bunch who will back till end a manager who has gone on runs of 20/30 games with a handful of wins and 2 9-0 defeats... 

We have a really odd bunch that support us. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

I mean there are some on here who claim Howe was a failure / underachiever at Bournemouth, despite taking them from the bottom of the football league to a sustained period of time the in the premier league… 

predominantly the same bunch who will back till end a manager who has gone on runs of 20/30 games with a handful of wins and 2 9-0 defeats... 

You mean the same fans who claims Howe can’t spend money look at how he got Bournemouth relegated with his terrible signings but also claim Howe only kept Newcastle up because he had money.

We do have a lot of odd fans,the camera on the stand at a games looks like someone’s opened the trap door 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Anyone playing the Dman drinking game is going to be feeling it now. 3 of the topics or sayings I had marked on my card all neatly tied up in one post.

Eddie Howe

9-0 defeats

The phrase "some on here"

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Kenilworthy said:

So you'd hang around that mess of a club and the situation.Did well to stick with it all season tbh

7 hours ago, Saint86 said:

I wouldn't be against Rooney as manager at some point. The annoying thing is that if he does well he'd be poached by Everton. Think he's going to make it as a good manager tbh. 

Well if he came into the club the media would recognise us as "Wayne Rooney's Southampton", that's for sure.

2 hours ago, The Cat said:

Anyone playing the Dman drinking game is going to be feeling it now. 3 of the topics or sayings I had marked on my card all neatly tied up in one post.

Eddie Howe

9-0 defeats

I’d already come a cropper on the Adam Armstrong thread.

Reference to a comment made by Twar that he won’t let go, even though the bloke hasn’t posted on here in weeks  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Cat said:

Eddie Howe

9-0 defeats

All true though… no? 

1 hour ago, ErwinK1961 said:

I’d already come a cropper on the Adam Armstrong thread.

Reference to a comment made by Twar that he won’t let go, even though the bloke hasn’t posted on here in weeks  

And isn’t the place better as a result

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dman said:

All true though… no? 

We lost 9-0 twice and Howe took Bournemouth from League 2 to Premier League. Yes they are both true and no one disputes they are facts.

However there are reasonable discussion points behind them (shit reffing, Bournemouth relegated) which people have debated.

You must have the self awareness to realise your relentless regurgitation of the same stuff over and over is pretty dull.

Anyway, enough of this. I'm going back to watching Kendrick Lamar smashing it at Glastonbury.

• Like 5

On 26/06/2022 at 23:33, The Cat said:

We lost 9-0 twice and Howe took Bournemouth from League 2 to Premier League. Yes they are both true and no one disputes they are facts.

However there are reasonable discussion points behind them (shit reffing, Bournemouth relegated) which people have debated.

You must have the self awareness to realise your relentless regurgitation of the same stuff over and over is pretty dull.

Anyway, enough of this. I'm going back to watching Kendrick Lamar smashing it at Glastonbury.

when you start a line of argumentation with "We lost 9:0 twice..." 

*yaawn*

The biggest question for me this season is will Ralph go back to super tight trousers he wore when we scored loads of points in 2020.

He needs to determine a fashion sense on match day, the most recent seasons of trying to be trendy seems to of had an impact on our performances, it's like Mrs H was dressing him.

Think he needs to go back to his beliefs, so am expecting super tight trousers, preferably tracksuit ones and a training kit top.

Animated GIF

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

So as we've spent a fair bit (not splashing the cash as such but we've clearly got a little bit more money than before) and are signing 18 year olds for £14 Million, just wondering, are people still insistent that we "can't afford to sack Ralph"? Because I always found that notion totally ridiculous and even more so now.

It's clear he's being backed this summer (we will hope the incomings aren't being offset with the sale of JWP) and he has a brand new backroom team, one you have to assume he's comfortable with. For me, there are no more excuses. Whilst every team (bar maybe City and Liverpool) goes through a poor run during a season and that can be largely overlooked if they recover well enough, there can't be the types of poor runs we typically have, with heavy defeats, shapeless play and (what looks like) a dearth of effort on the pitch. At that point, it has to be time to pull the trigger and find someone new.

6 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

It's clear he's being backed this summer (we will hope the incomings aren't being offset with the sale of JWP) and he has a brand new backroom team, one you have to assume he's comfortable with. For me, there are no more excuses. Whilst every team (bar maybe City and Liverpool) goes through a poor run during a season and that can be largely overlooked if they recover well enough, there can't be the types of poor runs we typically have, with heavy defeats, shapeless play and (what looks like) a dearth of effort on the pitch. At that point, it has to be time to pull the trigger and find someone new.

For sure, although last season he was somewhat backed as well with the deeper squad - although now we're in a position to evolve the starters who aren't good enough and have been strung along for years.

Still need significant work in the 10's and up front though, then I'd say he's been backed and has the tools to work with.

On 26/06/2022 at 13:25, aintforever said:

With their situation, that would have been an incredible achievement.

Edited by Bad Wolf

SOUTHAMPTON boss Ralph Hasenhuttl is favourite to be the first managerial casualty of the 2022-23 Premier League season.

That's according to bookmakers Betfair, who've updated their 'Next Manager' market ahead of the new campaign, which begins on August 5th.

Ralph Hasenhuttl is favourite to be the first Premier League manager to leave
Ralph Hasenhuttl is favourite to be the first Premier League manager to leaveCredit: GETTY

BETFAIR: GET £30 IN FREE BETS*

Hasenhuttl, 54, replaced Mark Hughes in December 2018 but has never secured a top-half finish during his tenure.

Saints finished 15th last year, winning just nine games -- only relegated trio Norwich, Watford and Burnley won fewer.

They drew on 13 occasions, and lost 16 times with the fourth worst goal difference in the division (-24).

Bookies Betfair expect Southampton to have a difficult season after pricing them at 3/1 to be relegated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

SOUTHAMPTON boss Ralph Hasenhuttl is favourite to be the first managerial casualty of the 2022-23 Premier League season.

That's according to bookmakers Betfair, who've updated their 'Next Manager' market ahead of the new campaign, which begins on August 5th.

Ralph Hasenhuttl is favourite to be the first Premier League manager to leave

Ralph Hasenhuttl is favourite to be the first Premier League manager to leaveCredit: GETTY

BETFAIR: GET £30 IN FREE BETS*

Hasenhuttl, 54, replaced Mark Hughes in December 2018 but has never secured a top-half finish during his tenure.

Saints finished 15th last year, winning just nine games -- only relegated trio Norwich, Watford and Burnley won fewer.

They drew on 13 occasions, and lost 16 times with the fourth worst goal difference in the division (-24).

Bookies Betfair expect Southampton to have a difficult season after pricing them at 3/1 to be relegated.

You're desperate for this to happen 🤣

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

You're desperate for this to happen 🤣

I'm not his biggest fan true, but what  I'm actually desperate for is a big improvement, if he is the man to deliver it then I'll be more than OK with it. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

As above he's not the right person to improve us, that will show this coming season if board are to feeble to address it 

agree.  We will see a very bright start from our newbies, before they regress into a mess.

We will consistently leave the middle of the park exposed and make the 2 sat there cover nearly every blade of grass

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wadesmith said:

Poch available. He may have to downgrade his wage expectations..but money isn’t everything. Could we get him on a ‘Pay As You Manage’ deal?

MLG will eat you alive with that

"Pay as you manage deals are non existent.... why would a manager agree to that"

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Odd for that twitter account to post an article that is now a season out of date? It basically takes no account of last season so its relevance is lacking. Given they posted it 2 hours ago, surprised it hasn't been updated post Bertrand and ings... 

Edited by Saint86

2 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Odd for that twitter account to post an article that is now a season out of date? It basically takes no account of last season so its relevance is lacking. Given they posted it 2 hours ago, surprised it hasn't been updated post Bertrand and ings... 

Even odder that MLG didn't fact check the article before posting it. 

27 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Even odder that MLG didn't fact check the article before posting it. 

Extremely shoddy work, words cannot express how disappointed I am, shooting from the hip like that. Frankly I'm appalled. 

Edited by Toussaint

32 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

😵💫442 eh ?

Yep. It is a 442. Sure, 2 of the midfield 4 often tuck in and push up but whatever the hipsters like to call it, we mostly play a 442. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl