Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

2 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Not sure why you think he was a tosser. Most of the players at the time thought he was a decent bloke and I found him pretty decent too. I'll concede he was a "terrible manager" though.

Why am I not surprised you liked him…

2 hours ago, aintforever said:

I think with a bit of investment we could have a decent season next year under Ralph. In my opinion the main reason this season went to shit was because Broja clearly stopped giving a toss once he had made his name and that left us pretty much toothless. Replace Broja, Long, Walcott and Redmon/Djenepo with some quality and Ralph will have something to work with. 

Bunch of bed-wetting tarts on here.

Fabulous contribution as always pal

3 hours ago, Chez said:

If the task was to survive and have a decent cup run, then from the owners point of view he didn't fail.

Not sure he has been rewarded. Is keeping your job classified as a reward these days?

Seven million quid isn’t bad for starters

3 hours ago, Chez said:

If the task was to survive and have a decent cup run, then from the owners point of view he didn't fail.

Not sure he has been rewarded. Is keeping your job classified as a reward these days?

I was alluding to the players as well as RH, they don't deserve anything other than grinding training throughout the summer and frequent ice baths, certainly not all expenses paid jolly's to an exclusive 5+ star resort in the Alps.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Guess we're stuck with Ralph then given the Austrian tour and his son (aw! sweet!) so can only now really hope that there's change in getting some decent coaches in rather than failed keepers/tactical bozos. In other words, Saints are going to be in trouble.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Stop conceding so many goals is the first thing to address surely? You know the old addage...if you don't concede...

... you get 38 dreadful goalless draws and get relegated on the last day of the season. Just thinking of our attacking options there... 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I was alluding to the players as well as RH, they don't deserve anything other than grinding training throughout the summer and frequent ice baths, certainly not all expenses paid jolly's to an exclusive 5+ star resort in the Alps.

Why don’t you understand the concept of a pre-season training camp? It’s genuinely bizarre. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

You think they are on holiday and not a fitness building training trip?

31 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

I’m firmly in the Ralph out camp.

But

if he stays, he stays.  We might keep the same manager, but we can’t keep to the same transfer policy and coaching staff.

Things 100% have to change.

If he stays we are in a relegation battle next season, I hope for all our sakes the owners see through is bullshit playbook and get rid of him now.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Mr X said:

5 points from a possible 39 in the last 13 games how can that possibly be an acceptable return from any manager? 

And 22 points from the 13 games before that is top 6 form, thereby lies the frustration, the quandary, the mystery.

7 minutes ago, Streaky said:

If he stays we are in a relegation battle next season, I hope for all our sakes the owners see through is bullshit playbook and get rid of him now.

You speak about the future as if you've been there.  Are you Marty McFly? Don't mean to be facetious but you can't possibly know that especially with such an unpredictable,  streaky team like us and a covid-sized mid-season break.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Streaky said:

Many things you can slam Ralph for but giving our entire club a strategic identity with the playbook is not one i can endorse.

The under 18s were the southern champions and lost out to man city for the title.

The B team after starting horribly finished 7th in their league.

Its well known with changes like ours its not the 1st team or B team that we see the benefit of this playbook but its the under 12/14/16/18s who buy into the concept.

Of course there is a lead time I would guess 3-5yrs but when those under 18s start pushing into the B team/1st Team we will start harvesting that fruit.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

It's pre-season training, not a skiing holiday in the alps. 

Would you rather they were 'punished' by not being asked to train? 

I'd rather half of them were punished by being put on a train, preferably the Trans-Siberian Express.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

From what I've found on TransferMarkt, this is a below summary of the players signed since RH became manager (not including his first six months as he joined late 2018):

18/19 - Takeover season 16th - points

19/20 - COVID hit season 11th - 52 points
Che Adams £15m
Moussa Djenepo £14m
Kevin Danso (£3m loan fee)
Kyle Walker-Peters (loan)

20/21 - Closed doors season 15th - 43 points
Kyle Walker-Peters £12m
Ibrahima Diallo £10m
Mohammed Salisu £11m
Take Minamino (loan)
Theo Walcott (loan)

21/22 - Fans return season 15th - 40 points
Adam Armstrong £15m
Romain Perraud £11m
Lyanco £7m
Tino Livramento £5m
Armando Broja (loan)
Willy Cabellero

A real mixture of smart and not so smart signings during this period. Are they his signings? Are they the clubs? Who knows, although I'm inclined to believe he would've had a hand in majority of them.
What I will say is a little over £100m (not including wages) on some of this shite is awful business.

EDIT: Added league position and points for each season.

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
League position and points
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

From what I've found on TransferMarkt, this is a below summary of the players signed since RH became manager (not including his first six months as he joined late 2018):

19/20
Che Adams £15m
Moussa Djenepo £14m
Kevin Danso (£3m loan fee)
Kyle Walker-Peters (loan)

20/21
Kyle Walker-Peters £12m
Ibrahima Diallo £10m
Mohammed Salisu £11m
Take Minamino (loan)
Theo Walcott (loan)

21/22
Adam Armstrong £15m
Romain Perraud £11m
Lyanco £7m
Tino Livramento £5m
Armando Broja (loan)
Willy Cabellero

A real mixture of smart and not so smart signings during this period. Are they his signings? Are they the clubs? Who knows, although I'm inclined to believe he would've had a hand in majority of them.
What I will say is a little over £100m (not including wages) on some of this shite is awful business.

So he's basically had more to spend each season after the next and the performances have got worse! 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Streaky said:

If he goes the players have to start all over again are they capable of changing style and method? and a new manager is sure to  be an unknown, feeling his way, because that's all we will attract, the managerial equivalent of someone like Lyanco. There's a lot to be said for the devil we know if he's given a forward who can put the ball in the net

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

7 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

And it's still "not his team yet" in spite of bringing in 14 players.

It is an astonishingly lucky coincidence though. Here we are, a club with no money to spend, and we just so happen to have a manager whose dream signings are half the price of all our rivals. There's not one player in the world who he rates over £15m.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

We need signings early as possible so they can get training ASAP and learn the approach etc, no messing this time, pay over the odds if needed for the player we want, just get them early, am sick of this 'they wont be ready for a couple of month's" bollocks.

I don’t think it’s difficult to learn his approach. Usually takes opposition managers about 6-8 games. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Chez said:

Fair enough, although I think they are intrinsically linked. If, you have attacking players like Sala, Zaha etc. who don't need anyone else's help to create and score, that means you don't need to push midfielders and defenders forward quite so much, which means you are more solid and tighter at the back. Less competent attackers mean you have to gamble a bit more.

The general consensus on here is that three out of four of our back four is OK. Forster was seen as OK, JWP and Romeu seen as ok, yet we let goals in left right and centre. If the personnel defensively ain't woeful, what was the reason? Maybe they aren't all that. Or maybe the reason was the way we were set up. If that's te reason then why set up like that? Perhaps it's to disguise the fact we ain't got much outstanding talent in attack.

I don't know, but something has to change over the summer. Even if its just getting confidence back. Right now we look likely to lose to absolutely anyone/everyone.

Look at the two goal scored by Perez on Sunday and you'll see exactly why we conceded so many goals. We have plenty of defenders in the box but not one of them is marking an opponent. These type of goals happen all the time. As Ralph and his coaches are incapable of correcting this basic defensive task then it's time they went.

• Like 4

9    nil                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 9    nil                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            6   nil                                                                            fuck off

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Only 11 of them were non loan signings. So under half the current squad is 'his'.

IMO if Ralph gives a player a new contract, then they should also be classified as `his' signings. He signed them to a new contract, he waned them, he kept them here, he filled them with that player instead of freeing up a slot for someone else, so they are his too. 

How many would that amount to?

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Look at the two goal scored by Perez on Sunday and you'll see exactly why we conceded so many goals. We have plenty of defenders in the box but not one of them is marking an opponent. These type of goals happen all the time. As Ralph and his coaches are incapable of correcting this basic defensive task then it's time they went.

Is that down to poor coaching or poor players?

Can you teach an old dog new tricks? 

If a player doesn't track back, he never did, it just wasn't him, but a coach is on at him every day in training to do it, will he change and actually do it? I wonder how much coaches can actually do to change a player.

17 minutes ago, Chez said:

Is that down to poor coaching or poor players?

Can you teach an old dog new tricks? 

If a player doesn't track back, he never did, it just wasn't him, but a coach is on at him every day in training to do it, will he change and actually do it? I wonder how much coaches can actually do to change a player.

Why have coaches at all then?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Personally I’d have pulled the trigger on Ralph Sunday night, but if the club have faith in him, then this sounds like the next best alternative. 

Were stale and getting worse. We need some fresh ideas. 

Will a new coaching set up help? Who knows, but if Ralph isn’t willing to listen and take on their feedback (speculating a bit there), it doesn’t matter who we have as back room staff. 

It could be that Ralph just doesn’t rate them, so is trying to take on too much himself. In that sense, I don’t blame him. 

From the outside looking in, I’d say the best coaching staff we’ve had was that under koeman. I’d love for us to get Erwin and sammy Lee back. 

• Like 1

Very much hope this is true but option one is more sensible. Hassenhuttl does indeed claim the credit for wins and hangs out individual players for losses so wouldn’t be surprised if this has contributed to him losing the dressing room, as it were, and hence spiral of defeats. Not sure why getting rid of him necessarily means the fundamental change in tactics across the whole club though. It is completely possible to employ a pressing game with different personnel. Lot of BS written about this as if it is rocket science that only certain managers can employ. Hey, players, work hard in getting the ball back by letting the oppo have less time and space. There. 

Edited by DT
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Personally doubt this is true, but if it is it can only mean sacking RH is too expensive…. Doesn’t make sense that he remains if everyone else goes

There's a very real chance it will work out much more expensive if he STAYS.

• Like 3

Sacking all the staff or sacking Ralph?

Surely that depends on their review and what they feel has caused our poor form?

So its not really an either/or choice. Its entirely dependent upon what they perceive the problem to be.

21 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Sacking all the staff or sacking Ralph?

Surely that depends on their review and what they feel has caused our poor form?

So its not really an either/or choice. Its entirely dependent upon what they perceive the problem to be.

Especially if RH wanted to retain some of those staff and he walks, which other managers have done. Could claim constructive dismissal but not a strong case after the players have basically gone on strike for three months and the 9-0s, if I was representing the club at a tribunal I’d be confident of winning any case brought. He Is wealthy, very independent man and could pick up another good job in a different league. If other outlets start reporting it there may be mileage in it.

6 minutes ago, igsey said:

I sure hope nobody is taking anything written in The Sun seriously...

But it's not just been in The Sun has it...

Ralph himself said 4-5 weeks ago that the whole coaching setup would be reviewed and he was open to that.  I wish I could find the article.

The club has made Ralph its centrepiece with his Playbook and it's adoption across all levels; ditching that would be too disruptive in the short-term and carry too many risks.  Recruiting better, more experienced coaches makes total sense in this scenario and will address many of the problems we see every week on the pitch.  Add in some smart recruitment - Ralph has already spoken about more experienced players to go alongside a few more "Tino's" - and we might just surprise even some of biggest bed-wetting fans.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Puddings and Monkeys said:

The club has made Ralph its centrepiece with his Playbook and it's adoption across all levels; ditching that would be too disruptive in the short-term and carry too many risks

IT'S NOT HIS PLAYBOOK! Yes he has a certain style of play, but it's just high press, high tempo football with youth development. The idea that Ralph is irreplaceable because he as some unique playbook that only he knows and can implement needs to die off. He is from a long line of managers with similar styles - he isn't unique and neither is the playbook

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Christophenburg said:

IT'S NOT HIS PLAYBOOK! Yes he has a certain style of play, but it's just high press, high tempo football with youth development. The idea that Ralph is irreplaceable because he as some unique playbook that only he knows and can implement needs to die off. He is from a long line of managers with similar styles - he isn't unique and neither is the playbook

I don't think anyone is saying he is irreplaceable; I'm just putting forward the view that the club view getting rid of him now as too risky..esp when they believe they can address shortcomings in what they see as a less disruptive way, whilst setting a foundation for a future which will prob be Ralph-free before his contract is up.......as he moves to a more "strategic role" in the SR organisation.

4 hours ago, Barsiem said:

Personally doubt this is true, but if it is it can only mean sacking RH is too expensive…. Doesn’t make sense that he remains if everyone else goes

I  think they will be weighing up the real prospects of relegation if he stays / goes, if they conclude he is the problem then they may well consider it  money well spent in paying him off. 

2 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

To be honest he was lumbered with dave "ipad" watson and kelvin "fallen into a job" davis, I would defo move them on if possible.

Absolutely.

For years we've had this notion of 'the club hires the coaches', which is nonsense, particularly if we hire turds. The manager needs to trust and respect the coaching team he has, accept their feedback, value their input and have his thinking challenged by them. And of course the team needs to align to his philosophy (and that of the club).

Dave "iPad, nice hair" Watson, Kelvin "near post, player liaison" Davis and Craig "didn't do a great job before this" Fleming? Would you listen to anything they told you?

Get fucking rid.

I see that the contracts of KnpplD and CddagjbtF expire at the end of June anyway.

Edited by Suhari
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Dave "iPad, nice hair" Watson, Kelvin "near post, player liaison" Davis and Craig "didn't do a great job before this" Fleming? Would you listen to anything they told you?

Despite those two, every GK we've had seems to go backwards on joining.

Out of interest who is the fitness coach ? 

From performances it seems we haven't really had one since Koeman .

Edited by Badger

7 minutes ago, Badger said:

Despite those two, every GK we've had seems to go backwards on joining.

Out of interest who is the fitness coach ? 

From performances it seems we haven't really had one since Koeman .

If my memory serves correctly, we moved to a model where the fitness coach was replaced by the sports-science team.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl