Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

it is the attitude of the club who have always sold our better players

I'd argue we've been trying to avoid this throughout Ralph's time with us. In terms of players who would actually be likely to start a game we've only really lost Bertrand (out of contract) and Hojbjerg, Vestergaard, Ings who were all going into their last year and had no intention of re-signing which basically forced their sales. Outside of that it's mainly been second stringers / bench warmers or people we actively wanted out of the club such as Hoedt and Lemina. Unless you considered the likes of Targett and Boufal as our better players when they left?

55 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

note we also needed Vest to fund all that and balance the books

Again - going into last year of contract and not looking to re-sign. Yes the sale helped us fund other transfers but the sale was basically required rather than being an option for creating necessary funds.

Will be interesting to see how much money the new owners put in over the summer. Several players out of contract (Forster, Lewis, Caballero, Long), others in their last year (Valery, Romeu, Redmond, Djenepo, Elyounoussi, Walcott) and Broja's loan ending mean we could need 8 or 9 new faces if we don't want to let anyone run their contracts down and I don't think we'll get that kind of money from the sale of these players alone.

6 hours ago, DT said:

Willing to have a small sportsman's bet with you that he will go. Probably to Spurs I reckon. Or Newcastle, or Villa. Will bring a lot of cash in that we can reinvest (guessing we're skint), and although he's excellent, a good source of goals etc, he's not irreplaceable. And for me his captaincy skills aren't the best part of his game. And we certainly need leaders.

Utterly daft comment - he is completely irreplaceable.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Diabolus Ex Machina said:

Again - going into last year of contract and not looking to re-sign. Yes the sale helped us fund other transfers but the sale was basically required rather than being an option for creating necessary funds.

Will be interesting to see how much money the new owners put in over the summer. Several players out of contract (Forster, Lewis, Caballero, Long), others in their last year (Valery, Romeu, Redmond, Djenepo, Elyounoussi, Walcott) and Broja's loan ending mean we could need 8 or 9 new faces if we don't want to let anyone run their contracts down and I don't think we'll get that kind of money from the sale of these players alone.

All I meant with the vestergard comment was that we sold a first team cb and a first team striker, and those monies were used to get in squad depth by an large (as opposed to any particular quality). We didn't buy a first team cb, and we didn't buy a first team striker etc. I rate perraud and liv as signings don't get me wrong, but they were the minimum required last summer given we only had kwp.... As was Armstrong and broja - and in reality they are probably below not the minimum we needed in terms of our attacking output. What we didn't get that we all wanted... A gk and a #10.

So in essence, we were too hard up even with good sales for ings and vest, to get what we needed. And yes, I agree, ings and vest were effectively enforced sales, but it matters not in the context of us only having limited funds to spend I think? 

I hope that this year, with better Club finances and new owners, we will be able to both replace the outgoing players, but also finish the required squad improvements from previous windows. 

Edited by Saint86

2 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

All I meant with the vestergard comment was that we sold a first team cb and a first team striker, and those monies were used to get in squad depth by an large (as opposed to any quality). We didn't buy a first team cb, and we didn't buy a first team striker etc. I rate perraud and lov as signings don't get me wrong, but they were the minimum required last summer. As is Armstrong and broja - it not below. Minimum in terms of our attacking output. What we didn't get that we all wanted... A gk and a #10.

So in essence, we were too hard up eben with good sales for ings and vest. An yes, I agree, ings and vest were effectively enforced sales, but it matters not on the context of us only having limited funds to spend I think? 

I hope that this year, with better Clun finances and new owners, we will be able to both replace the outgoing players, but also finish the required squad improvements from previous windows. 

What is a first team cb? How is vestergaard(who can’t get near the Leicester team one) but lyanco isn’t.

1 hour ago, washsaint said:

Utterly daft comment - he is completely irreplaceable.

100% agree, we'd need silly money IMO or him going on strike. Our position should be similar to West Ham's with Rice, £100 million or get lost, plus we are in a stronger position because he has longer on this contract. 

This summer is massive for us I think, new owners should bring a little more financial stability and flexibility in the funds we can pay, probably the first summer for 5 years we have not been hamstrung by terrible signings we cant get rid of on high wages. 

Plus a whole host of players either contracts ending or having a year left that we are unlikely to renew. Many of whom have proven they are just not really good enough for a top 10 team (where we supposedly want to be). Stephens, Forster, Bednerak, Djenepo, Walcott, Long, Redmond, and others could be gone freeing up a lot of squad spaces and wages. 

Whatever you think of the manager, I am not sure you could argue he has been majorly in the transfer market, and even if you think he's a 'buster flush' or whatever, and even if he gets sacked next season, I don't think signing a load of hard working, disciplined, young, improving players with the ability to play a high tempo pressing game is going to hurt us, most new managers coming in would likely play a similar style and like those players. We need better players IMO, the manager can only be blamed so much, people criticise him for not being tactically flexible, yet he has been this year, people criticise him for playing one way and demand the other, he does the other way and he gets criticised. I think there is only so much he can do with the players we have, most of whom are not good enough for the top 10 squad. 

We need 4-5, maybe more players that are going to be around the JWP, Romeu, Salisu, Armstrong and KWP sort of level. If we get that then we have a much better first eleven and hopefully some of the younger players will start coming through as it finally looks like the academy might be producing again. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Baird of the land said:

What is a first team cb? How is vestergaard(who can’t get near the Leicester team one) but lyanco isn’t.

Vestergard played 30 games in the league last season, Lyanco has managed 14, six of them as a sub 🤗

• Like 1

I find it hilarious that whilst he playing vestergard was considered no good  and a reason Ralph couldn’t get the most from the squad, now it seems because we sold him it’s a reason Ralph can’t be faulted 

39 minutes ago, MAY-Z said:

I find it hilarious that whilst he playing vestergard was considered no good  and a reason Ralph couldn’t get the most from the squad, now it seems because we sold him it’s a reason Ralph can’t be faulted 

Vestergaard was truly shit, so no one was ever going to miss him. We missed a trick in not replacing him though, we went for a cheapo squad filler rather than a first choice starter. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, MAY-Z said:

Being sh*t and being the best defender we have aren’t mutually exclusive. Quite the opposite.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

59 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Vestergard played 30 games in the league last season, Lyanco has managed 14, six of them as a sub 🤗

But if he stayed he would likely have played a fraction of that this season. Last season salisu was not available for a large part of the season and played only 12 and this season he’s played 33. 

15 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Vestergaard was truly shit, so no one was ever going to miss him. We missed a trick in not replacing him though, we went for a cheapo squad filler rather than a first choice starter. 

Salisu is effectively the Vestergaard left sided centre back replacement. So Saints did upgrade, but an upgrade on Bednarek would also have been nice.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We already had the replacement, it was Salisu. The issue is that I think Bednerak has gone backwards so that has caused issues and Salisu is obviously young so will still have some bad games in his locker. 

But I just don't think we had the funds, we had 3 first team centre-backs, so they prioritised spending the cash on other areas like the fullbacks where we needed more depth and quality and got a squad filler to fill that 4th place with the hope that he might prove to be a hidden gem. 

It looks like from the noises coming out of the club that centre-back is on the shopping list this year, hopefully recognising that Bednerak is not good enough. 

52 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

It looks like from the noises coming out of the club that centre-back is on the shopping list this year, hopefully recognising that Bednerak is not good enough. 

Or that they will cash in on Salisu, before his contract runs down any further, and that Bednerak will need a partner. Or if Lyanco is the new Salisu, and is to be that partner for Bednerak, then a new up and coming signing.

I hope it's your post version though. If Bednerak was not commited to playing for us, over an upcoming national fixture, he should really be on his way.

19 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Or that they will cash in on Salisu, before his contract runs down any further, and that Bednerak will need a partner. Or if Lyanco is the new Salisu, and is to be that partner for Bednerak, then a new up and coming signing.

I hope it's your post version though. If Bednerak was not commited to playing for us, over an upcoming national fixture, he should really be on his way.

I could see us needing to replace salisu, and upgrading/replacing Bednarek.

I think we all know what we want/need though - In no particular order.... A quality keeper, at least 1 quality CB, at least 1 quality CAM, and a quality Striker.

What we will get though....

Edited by Saint86

8 hours ago, Saint86 said:

I could see us needing to replace salisu, and upgrading/replacing Bednarek.

I think we all know what we want/need though - In no particular order.... A quality keeper, at least 1 quality CB, at least 1 quality CAM, and a quality Striker.

What we will get though....

I'd disagree. What we need is a Keeper(we only have 1), a DM (we only have one), A striker (we only have 2/3) & probably a FB(given livramento's injury)

CB or CAM may become a priority if we sell someone in those positions.

Beggining to think the wreck it Ralph nickname isn't too far off he just can't resist crazy lineups and decisions! And none of it is ever his fault, either the players didn't perform or the other team got lucky as our tactics were working fine! 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Far que said:

replace ralph for christ sake

We have changed manager multiple times over the last what 6-7 years and not much has changed, IMO our best performances and runs since Koeman have come under Ralph. Koeman also highlights that even though that was one of our successful periods in recent times, he has since proven he is not a very good manager, what he had was good players. 

We need better players, not to change the manager, I am not sure what people are expecting the manager to do with the some old failing faces throughout the squad who have proven they are not good enough. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

We have changed manager multiple times over the last what 6-7 years and not much has changed, IMO our best performances and runs since Koeman have come under Ralph. Koeman also highlights that even though that was one of our successful periods in recent times, he has since proven he is not a very good manager, what he had was good players. 

We need better players, not to change the manager, I am not sure what people are expecting the manager to do with the some old failing faces throughout the squad who have proven they are not good enough. 

We need better players and a new manager.

He is the modern day tinker man when it comes to starting line ups, but statuesque when it comes to making changes before it’s too late during games.

I just don’t think he has it in him to adapt, he just stands there looking like a rabbit in the headlights.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

Since Koeman, Our best runs / performances have come under Ralph but but the worst have as well. 

Puel, by in large, the most consistent manager we’ve had since Koeman. 

We need better players, but we also need a better manager. 

• Like 3

I’m actually a little surprised now that the board have loosely “publicly” said they will stick by him given he has a year left, results need a change and the squad needs an overhaul, new players, new tactics.

Just makes more sense to bring in a new manager now rather than in a year when the next manager has to sell and replace players he doesn’t fancy.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I’m actually a little surprised now that the board have loosely “publicly” said they will stick by him given he has a year left, results need a change and the squad needs an overhaul, new players, new tactics.

Just makes more sense to bring in a new manager now rather than in a year when the next manager has to sell and replace players he doesn’t fancy.

2 years

2 hours ago, tajjuk said:

What rubbish, what do people expect?

How about not putting players straight in after nowhere to be seen on a pitch for weeks or months? 
How about not leaving on 3 defenders with 10-15 minutes to go replacing one forward player for another when losing?

How about actually changing shape not just the players in a game?

How about making changes when needed not just because it’s the 75th minute or whatever?

How about not hanging players out to dry like Smallbone good to start not 1 minute since. 
Treatment of Armstrong?

Why do fans accept mediocrity from a manager it’s lazy to just blame squad?

How come it was good enough up until March?

He is the manager that dictates all above.

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 7

Rose would, I have thought, been the dream choice for the board. Fast, dynamic, pressing style, loves the 4-4-2 diamond, huge experience in Germany and Austria, and experience bringing youth players through. I don't think Hassenthuttl is leaving, sadly, but there surely wouldn't be a better option (from the board/playbook perspective) then Rose?

Edited by Christophenburg

Genuine question. Why would Rose (or a manager of similar calibre) come here after leaving Dortmund?

Unless significant investment is being promised, what's the attraction over other options you'd assume he'd have? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Neef said:

Genuine question. Why would Rose (or a manager of similar calibre) come here after leaving Dortmund?

Unless significant investment is being promised, what's the attraction over other options you'd assume he'd have? 

Our award winning nuked pies, freezing cold ale, brilliant flashing light shows and ability to put out red and white cards on seats .

Who wouldn’t come here?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

What rubbish, what do people expect?

How about not putting players straight in after nowhere to be seen on a pitch for weeks or months? 
How about not leaving on 3 defenders with 10-15 minutes to go replacing one forward player for another when losing?

How about actually changing shape not just the players in a game?

How about making changes when needed not just because it’s the 75th minute or whatever?

How about not hanging players out to dry like Smallbone good to start not 1 minute since. 
Treatment of Armstrong?

Why do fans accept mediocrity from a manager it’s lazy to just blame squad?

How come it was good enough up until March?

He is the manager that dictates all above.

No this is rubbish from start to finish.

He's changed shape multiple times, and changing shape is not some magical device that makes bad players play better. I mean Man Utd have changed shape multiple times, their squad has failed under 3 separate managers (or more), they still getting poor results and underperforming, how about maybe its the PLAYERS. 

He's made subs early and changed things round in game, what are you talking about?, he gets bemoaned for not making changes and then moaned at for making changes, he gets moaned at for not playing X player and then moaned at when he does. 

Smallbone is not good enough, why is there this obsession with players not playing magically becoming better and better? 

What treatment of Armstrong? The guy has had injuries all year, are you his physio? Do you have intimate knowledge of his fitness? No, but you can somehow instantly blame the manager for him not playing, 100% talking out of your arse here. 

Blaming the manager is LAZY, it's one person as opposed to the people who make the biggest difference, THE PLAYERS. We've had multiple managers fail with this squad and the same old faces let us down over and over. We also have a bottom third of the league budget, spend basically nothing on players, have near zero net spend every year but we are like 5 points away from top half. What exactly are your expectations for a manager to do with a bad squad, that has a weak mentality and gets very little investment?

---------------------------------------

As for Rose, he's made Dortmund finish yet again too far off Bayern, who haven't even been that good this year (by their usual standards), with probably the best squad Dortmund have had for years and some of the most spending they have done in recent times. All this with one of the world's most in form strikers. 

They have also conceded more goals than anyone in the top 8 in Germany, I seriously doubt he would do any better with our current squad than Ralph has. 

Ralph finished 2nd in the Bundesliga with a far less talent and wealthy team than Rose has just had at Dortmund. 

And I'd bet that March would have been high up our potential managers list, but has struggled to save Leeds. 

People seriously over rate what a manager can do. Good scouting and recruitment is generally what makes clubs over perform in modern football, getting talented players who play above their initial value. That is how we finished 6th with a clearly mediocre manager in Koeman, we had very good players cheaply assembled. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

16 minutes ago, Neef said:

Depends on what Sports Republic can offer. At the moment next season survival is on the line without some major changes either to the first team or supporting structure. 

52 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

No this is rubbish from start to finish.

He's changed shape multiple times, and changing shape is not some magical device that makes bad players play better. I mean Man Utd have changed shape multiple times, their squad has failed under 3 separate managers (or more), they still getting poor results and underperforming, how about maybe its the PLAYERS. 

He's made subs early and changed things round in game, what are you talking about?, he gets bemoaned for not making changes and then moaned at for making changes, he gets moaned at for not playing X player and then moaned at when he does. 

Smallbone is not good enough, why is there this obsession with players not playing magically becoming better and better? 

What treatment of Armstrong? The guy has had injuries all year, are you his physio? Do you have intimate knowledge of his fitness? No, but you can somehow instantly blame the manager for him not playing, 100% talking out of your arse here. 

Blaming the manager is LAZY, it's one person as opposed to the people who make the biggest difference, THE PLAYERS. We've had multiple managers fail with this squad and the same old faces let us down over and over. We also have a bottom third of the league budget, spend basically nothing on players, have near zero net spend every year but we are like 5 points away from top half. What exactly are your expectations for a manager to do with a bad squad, that has a weak mentality and gets very little investment?

---------------------------------------

As for Rose, he's made Dortmund finish yet again too far off Bayern, who haven't even been that good this year (by their usual standards), with probably the best squad Dortmund have had for years and some of the most spending they have done in recent times. All this with one of the world's most in form strikers. 

They have also conceded more goals than anyone in the top 8 in Germany, I seriously doubt he would do any better with our current squad than Ralph has. 

Ralph finished 2nd in the Bundesliga with a far less talent and wealthy team than Rose has just had at Dortmund. 

And I'd bet that March would have been high up our potential managers list, but has struggled to save Leeds. 

People seriously over rate what a manager can do. Good scouting and recruitment is generally what makes clubs over perform in modern football, getting talented players who play above their initial value. That is how we finished 6th with a clearly mediocre manager in Koeman, we had very good players cheaply assembled. 

Cripes you write such twaddle when has he changed things early like Watford  home? Waited until half time when we were 2 down early and clearly one up front not working ? 
Burnley away didn’t change that shambles?

If Smallbone isn’t good enough as you said why did he start in a position he hasn’t done so for us before? Manager picked that yes?

Waited until Liverpool scored? 

Maybe you need to watch what is happening rather than what your blind optimism is telling you!

Do you believe honestly that no other manager could have turned round a 13 game slump… again with this squad?

Adam Armstrong you idiot you think he has been treated fairly not selected above Long? Thrown in other week when not 1 minute as sub week before how does he get match fit same as Diallo? Stephens this week?

The weak mentality clearly spreads to fans who accept blatant piss poor management and blame  squad talent,  then who is meant to coach and earn great salary for improving these players? 
Take your head out of your Ralph shining arse and see how poorly coached they are and tactically naive he is. 

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 9

Any other club with a manager who's record is the same as Ralph's would have sacked the manager months ago. The club come out saying they continue to back Ralph can mean only one thing. Ralph must have compromising photographs of the owners, this is the only reason i can see as to why he hasn't been sacked.

There are a number of managers available who would do a far better job with the players we have. Nearly every player has gone backwards under Ralph. Before the inevitable "Who would you get to replace him" come in, below are a few names i would suggest.

Jordan Searle

Ronald Koeman

Nuno Esperito Sancho

AVB

Dyche 

Crickey even Ole Gunna Solkjaer would be an improvement.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, berkshiresaint said:

Any other club with a manager who's record is the same as Ralph's would have sacked the manager months ago. The club come out saying they continue to back Ralph can mean only one thing. Ralph must have compromising photographs of the owners, this is the only reason i can see as to why he hasn't been sacked.

There are a number of managers available who would do a far better job with the players we have. Nearly every player has gone backwards under Ralph. Before the inevitable "Who would you get to replace him" come in, below are a few names i would suggest.

Jordan Searle

Ronald Koeman

Nuno Esperito Sancho

AVB

Dyche 

Who the hell is Jordan Searle?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, berkshiresaint said:

Jordan Searle

Ronald Koeman

Nuno Esperito Sancho

AVB

Dyche 

Jordan Searle?

Is this just a mate of yours you’re putting out there for a bet? 🤣

54 minutes ago, berkshiresaint said:

Jordan Searle

Ronald Koeman

Nuno Esperito Sancho

AVB

Dyche 

Behave yourself.

Koeman wouldn’t do better with this bunch. Nuno, yes from me, but the “I want to be entertained” gang will soon go off him. AVB, no thanks. Dyche, wrong time, wrong group of players, our little darlings will be downing tools once he gives them some clog. OGS 😂. And who the fuck is Jordan Searle? 

2 hours ago, Neef said:

To help our young players blossom?

• Haha 1

Heard an interesting bit on a whoscored video.

JWP was dribbled past more than the tackles he made this season.

Also from the statistical performance metrics that whoscored use this is his worst season as a CM over the last 3 yrs.

Obviously his best goalscoring tho, just an interesting point of view I thought.

1 hour ago, berkshiresaint said:

Jordan Searle

Ronald Koeman

Nuno Esperito Sancho

AVB

Dyche 

I think the leak today says that Sport Republic's goal is to spend as little as possible this summer and stay in the premiership next year. While I am no fan of that plan (I'd like to se some real ambition), Ralph is probably the best manager for it. Changing to the other mentioned managers means cost ... payout for Ralph, bonus for the new manager, some squad disruption and comes with a high degree of risk.

For better or worse, Ralph looks the safest, cheapest bet to stay in the premiership next year if we aren't raising our ambition. 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Dragon_man said:

I think the leak today says that Sport Republic's goal is to spend as little as possible this summer and stay in the premiership next year. While I am no fan of that plan (I'd like to se some real ambition), Ralph is probably the best manager for it. Changing to the other mentioned managers means cost ... payout for Ralph, bonus for the new manager, some squad disruption and comes with a high degree of risk.

For better or worse, Ralph looks the safest, cheapest bet to stay in the premiership next year if we aren't raising our ambition. 

This is rather pessimistic, I have it on good authority that Martin Semmens has booked into the Premier Inn Gloucester with a view to offering the Euro-Millions record winners a seat on the board - Dragan is much more proactive that Gao!  

56 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Heard an interesting bit on a whoscored video.

JWP was dribbled past more than the tackles he made this season.

Also from the statistical performance metrics that whoscored use this is his worst season as a CM over the last 3 yrs.

Obviously his best goalscoring tho, just an interesting point of view I thought.

Not that surprising. Having Prowse and Romeu - not the most mobile players in the world, to be kind - as our wide open midfield two has left us completely overrun in multiple matches.

With the personnel we've got, it's always felt like a self-defeating tactical approach. If you lose the midfield, more often than not you lose the match.

1 hour ago, Dragon_man said:

Have you watched us recently?

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl