Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

22 minutes ago, doc oli said:

My view on Ralph- for whom I’ve defended for most of his tenure, is that he’s too easily scared. And that rubs off on the team. Play well, play confidently and he exudes confidence. Take a hammering and he quickly becomes scared- so then the tactics become cautious, and the team looks fearful.

Even the win against arsenal was achieved by praying to god they didn’t stuff us. We went for the same approach against Liverpool last night and didn’t get lucky. He will see that as a positive as we didn’t get murdered. He, and we, are best when he trusts his instincts, his way of playing, his preferred formation and the players are tuned in to that. 

i still want it to work for him as when we’ve been good, we’ve been really good. But last night was woeful, passive and above all else fearful-football. 

You do wonder if part of the 'scared' attitude is just phycological damage from those historical record defeats. Players as well wouldn't be human had they not been scared by that, and for it to happen twice to a lot of them is enough to sink that feeling in even more.

Yesterday, without doubt, was a damage limitation tactic. He was expecting us to lose, but wanted to ensure the score was respectable and obviously he succeeded if that was the plan, but it's sad that we were so scared that we'd be picked apart again - but it's probably no surprise.

For me that team and the way we set up struck me as a bunch of players that the manager doesn't really trust anymore, so he has to protect them as much as he can. And likewise that doubt will creep in from the other side as well if the players feel a lack of trust from their manager.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I think the criticism is that he doesn’t change things during the game. If it’s obvious that the formation isn’t working then why wait until the opposition has scored before making substitutions?

How is 1-1 with Liverpool "not working"?

13 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

You do wonder if part of the 'scared' attitude is just phycological damage from those historical record defeats. Players as well wouldn't be human had they not been scared by that, and for it to happen twice to a lot of them is enough to sink that feeling in even more.

Yesterday, without doubt, was a damage limitation tactic. He was expecting us to lose, but wanted to ensure the score was respectable and obviously he succeeded if that was the plan, but it's sad that we were so scared that we'd be picked apart again - but it's probably no surprise.

For me that team and the way we set up struck me as a bunch of players that the manager doesn't really trust anymore, so he has to protect them as much as he can. And likewise that doubt will creep in from the other side as well if the players feel a lack of trust from their manager.

This is all true- but Ralph has done it before, sticking with 3/5 at the back in the early days with us, going against his favoured formation from Germany to try and be more solid, but it only meant more time spent with the ball in our half/box.
By committing further players upfield we actually became more solid defensively. But the big defeats playing this way just make him question that style and put out teams which are defensive on paper but are far from it in reality.

One other thing, Broja, up front as a kid, on his own is just stupid. Either play che as a solo striker or Broja in a pair. Suppose it won’t be an issue for too much longer…

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I can only assume that you didn’t watch the game. After they equalised we had no control of the ball, the play was all down our end, we had no counter attacks, our midfield was non existent and it was obvious which team was going to score next. Our goalkeeper and centre backs were being harassed as they tried to play the ball around and were rushed into mistakes and loose passes.

it wasn’t until the last few minutes of the game that we finally started to put together a good spell of football and were making several passes in succession. But this was after we had put our three subs on, Adams, Romeu and Stuart Armstrong. That’s three players from our A team. Players who should have been on from the start.

Can anybody please tell me why he started with Tella?

Anybody?

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Millbrook Saint said:

To be honest I don't care whether you believe me or not, not even sure I believe it, I don't even know if my mate believes who told him, we were talking in the pub last night and this is what he said, probably all bullshit, difference is we didn't hassle him saying well tell me who said it or I won't believe you, we just talked about what he said, then moved on, maybe you should do the same

That’s not how it works on here mate. People will demand you name your source otherwise they won’t believe you. Despite the fact it would be a crazy stupid thing to do a get them the sack they’ll still insist on it

I’m guessing the continued endorsement of Nathan tella must be club driven.. he’s the only player really getting playing time that’s come from the academy. He’s not ready, nowhere near and needs a season on loan. 
but to persist last night was criminal, his confidence and body language was shot to pieces within the first 20 mins.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Millbrook Saint said:

To be honest I don't care whether you believe me or not, not even sure I believe it, I don't even know if my mate believes who told him, we were talking in the pub last night and this is what he said, probably all bullshit, difference is we didn't hassle him saying well tell me who said it or I won't believe you, we just talked about what he said, then moved on, maybe you should do the same

Which pub? 

(This is highly important intel)

;)

As I’ve said before Ralph will still be here next season.

The board will give him some money, anyone slagging for the board for “not doing enough” at this point is deluded given they only took control in January and we were in decent form then, there wasn’t any need to rock the boat. They’ll give him a bit to spend plus player sales.

In terms of those players, it’s the dross/the out of contract that will go, whether it be loans or permanents: Djenepo, Forster, Bednarek, Lewis, Broja back to Chelsea.

The core of the team will stay the same. JWP won’t be leaving. KWP won’t be leaving. A. Armstrong won’t be leaving. And A. McCarthy, despite the fact we all know how shit he is, because of his new contract; will not be leaving.

19 minutes ago, madge said:

I’m guessing the continued endorsement of Nathan tella must be club driven.. he’s the only player really getting playing time that’s come from the academy. He’s not ready, nowhere near and needs a season on loan. 
but to persist last night was criminal, his confidence and body language was shot to pieces within the first 20 mins.

He is being played out of position (out wide) because we have such limited options.  His best position is centrally upfront in a 2 man attack where he can use his pace to run at defenders.  Was very effective when he played there last year - can and will be an important player for us next season.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dman said:

I suspect, The only reason they were chosen was because it kept semmens and Co. in a job. 

More likely they were the only party in town.  Gao had ultimate decision on who to sell to and not Siemmens

2 hours ago, doc oli said:

My view on Ralph- for whom I’ve defended for most of his tenure, is that he’s too easily scared. And that rubs off on the team. Play well, play confidently and he exudes confidence. Take a hammering and he quickly becomes scared- so then the tactics become cautious, and the team looks fearful.

Even the win against arsenal was achieved by praying to god they didn’t stuff us. We went for the same approach against Liverpool last night and didn’t get lucky. He will see that as a positive as we didn’t get murdered. He, and we, are best when he trusts his instincts, his way of playing, his preferred formation and the players are tuned in to that. 

i still want it to work for him as when we’ve been good, we’ve been really good. But last night was woeful, passive and above all else fearful-football. 

This is a good post. Strangely for a Manager who in the early days was criticised for being too rigid tactically I think he has gone too often away from what makes us good.

We are awful when we sit back as haven't got good enough 1v1 defenders and aren't a team that is secure in possession. I can barely think of a time we have played the 3 CBs and actually looked good.

I get that players go in and out of form but not sure why Adams has been so out of favour of late. He should be a regular starter and his partnership with Broja was a massive factor in our best spell.

If his teams don't press then they are essentially pointless and maybe those big defeats and a lack of trust in some players has caused him to lose a bit of his spark.

I really like him because he genuinely cares and think he will probably get the start of the season but we really need to freshen his staff and have a strong window else he won't last beyond October.

Wow this is a depressing read. Makes me wonder why do we bother carrying on as a club? There seems to be no positive news to look forward to. From reading all the comments on here it seems we have an unhappy Staplewood, with a load of players wanting out or leaving. A manager who wants to get sacked and a board with no money to invest. It sounds like Sports Republic only bought the club because our unambitious board would only sell the club to business men that kept them on as employees, so they can keep the selling all the talent and make no progress philosophy in place. If it’s all true we might as well not bother next season. In fact why have a Southampton football club at all? 

While I hope it isn’t as grim a picture as being painted here, I do wonder why we haven’t heard something positive yet? The club have had lots of opportunities to start putting out some reassuring feel good stories for the plans the new owners have for next season, the future and beyond. But here we are 3 months on since the takeover and we are yet to here anything. This season has ended on a downer and they’ve done nothing to make us think it will get any better next season. 

I don’t really know what to say about Ralf. He did well to keep us in the premier league in his first season and we’ve had a few purple patches of form in his time but it never lasts and we are far too easily torn apart more the often. If we did have money and a real plan that stems from the top I’d would say it’s time for a change. A clean sweep of the staff and players. We need a whole new coaching staff to come in and toughen up the fragile mentality the team clearly has. I hope something positive changes soon because it been a painful few  months of watching dross. 

Edited by Saint J 77
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

And A. McCarthy, despite the fact we all know how shit he is, because of his new contract; will not be leaving.

What if he's not 'shit' and just being 'played out of position' which appears to be the excuse for so many of our players when they play shit?

Edited by Weston Super Saint
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, trousers said:

Source? 

Just my opinion, he doesn't strike me as someone who will leave.
What I said a month or so ago on the Transfer Window thread:

Every summer we get the bed wetters on here panicking that JWP is leaving imminently.

He will not be leaving. Anyone that thinks he is needs to have a serious word with themselves. Who on here actually thinks he will leave?

He will be at Southampton for life. He is one of a few that will stay with the same club their entire career. Some people panic over nothing way too easily and love a rumour or gossip mill.

He is smart enough and sensible enough to see that he is loved here, he is a leader here and can go down as a club legend here - as opposed to money obsessed who want to make a quick buck sitting on the bench at so-called bigger clubs. I think he see's different to those of your Hojiberg's, your Schneiderlin's etc etc.

JWP will not be leaving. Next. 👍🏻

Personally I don’t see JWP going as a bad thing. 

He’s one of our more saleable assets and would cast a relatively high fee, which would allow us to strengthen in other areas. 

Free kicks aside; he’s very replaceable imo. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Dman said:

He’s one of our more saleable assets and would cast a relatively high fee, which would allow us to strengthen in other areas. 

He is our top scorer and his freekick goals count, which when they go in net us points

36 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Every summer we get the bed wetters on here panicking that JWP is leaving imminently.

He will not be leaving. Anyone that thinks he is needs to have a serious word with themselves. Who on here actually thinks he will leave?

He will be at Southampton for life. He is one of a few that will stay with the same club their entire career. Some people panic over nothing way too easily and love a rumour or gossip mill.

He is smart enough and sensible enough to see that he is loved here, he is a leader here and can go down as a club legend here - as opposed to money obsessed who want to make a quick buck sitting on the bench at so-called bigger clubs. I think he see's different to those of your Hojiberg's, your Schneiderlin's etc etc.

This is wishful thinking. He will go if the right money is put up for him. It's not really his decision if the club wants to cash in on one of the few saleable assets they have. Plus, if the right opportunity came, I'm sure he's ambitious enough to want to take it - eg chance to play with a team in Europe, chance to play in a team that gives him a higher chance to make the World Cup squad etc.

The days of club loyalty are pretty much over (if they ever really existed in the first place)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

He is our top scorer and his freekick goals count, which when they go in net us points

Yes, agreed, but if we can use the money from his sale to replace him L4L as a CM and get a striker capable of replacing his goals, We’d arguably be stronger as a result. 

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

That's what we said about Ings but he b*ggered off at the first crinkle of a five quid note.

10 hours ago, Saint J 77 said:

Wow this is a depressing read. Makes me wonder why do we bother carrying on as a club? There seems to be no positive news to look forward to. From reading all the comments on here it seems we have an unhappy Staplewood, with a load of players wanting out or leaving. A manager who wants to get sacked and a board with no money to invest. It sounds like Sports Republic only bought the club because our unambitious board would only sell the club to business men that kept them on as employees, so they can keep the selling all the talent and make no progress philosophy in place. If it’s all true we might as well not bother next season. In fact why have a Southampton football club at all? 

While I hope it isn’t as grim a picture as being painted here, I do wonder why we haven’t heard something positive yet? The club have had lots of opportunities to start putting out some reassuring feel good stories for the plans the new owners have for next season, the future and beyond. But here we are 3 months on since the takeover and we are yet to here anything. This season has ended on a downer and they’ve done nothing to make us think it will get any better next season. 

I don’t really know what to say about Ralf. He did well to keep us in the premier league in his first season and we’ve had a few purple patches of form in his time but it never lasts and we are far too easily torn apart more the often. If we did have money and a real plan that stems from the top I’d would say it’s time for a change. A clean sweep of the staff and players. We need a whole new coaching staff to come in and toughen up the fragile mentality the team clearly has. I hope something positive changes soon because it been a painful few  months of watching dross. 

Because we've got a guy in the cockpit now who looks cool, wears slim fit shirts with rolled up sleeves, has done a ted talk and written a book on business

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Because we've got a guy in the cockpit now who looks cool, wears slim fit shirts with rolled up sleeves, has done a ted talk and written a book on business

And was Director of Football at an extremely well run football club, that saw them get promoted to the Premier League.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Millbrook Saint said:

A mate of mine reckons he's been told Staplewood aint a happy place at the moment, Ralph has let it be known he's not happy with the lack of backing from the board, along with a couple of players who want out and others who've been told they can leave.

For what it's worth I'm not sure anyone could do better than Ralph with the lack of funds he has, they might have the team playing more consistently where our losses are spread out over the season and we win and lose the games we expect to, whereas with Ralph we have massive ups and downs, playing like world beaters for a while, beating and drawing with top teams, then playing like dog shit for a while losing against everyone including the teams we'd expect to beat.  The end result of both ways would be we end up in the same place in the league.

The problem is the lack of funds, whilst we're all blaming Ralph the owners are getting an easy ride, they've bought a football club and haven't invested any money, that's their choice, but if you only pay peanuts you get monkeys, just look at the team last night, most of them would only get in teams just promoted, the ones which are any good will soon be off.

You'll see over the next few weeks players being linked through the press, everyone excited by the names, but nothing will come of it, most likely as we don't pay the wages or fees.  The new season will start and we'd have brought in some hopeful from the lower leagues or some untested kid from a second rate foreign league, then everyone will blame the manager when we get spanked each week.

Whilst i fully agree that the financial backing hasn't been there, and I am also sure that there is a lot of players eying the exit, it simply isn't fair to blame the new owners... They haven't had a chance to demonstrate funds yet, lets be serious!

Saints fan's better get ready for underwhelming summer transfers though - at least on face value. We've been purchased by a company whose ethos is going to be buying cheap players and getting them to perform better than expected. So brace yourselves for cheap underwhelming signings - and hope we get it right!

1 minute ago, Saint86 said:

Whilst i fully agree that the financial backing hasn't been there, and I am also sure that there is a lot of players eying the exit, it simply isn't fair to blame the new owners... They haven't had a chance to demonstrate funds yet, lets be serious!

Saints fan's better get ready for underwhelming summer transfers though - at least on face value. We've been purchased by a company whose ethos is going to be buying cheap players and getting them to perform better than expected. So brace yourselves for cheap underwhelming signings - and hope we get it right!

I pretty much agree with your comment, however I think it may be more about buying value, rather than 'cheap'. I recall some stats of Brentford's historic signings, and some of them were pretty large ££ (in Championship terms).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

agreed. I wouldn't spend 1 penny on a team being managed by ralph. Get rid. This team is better than the shocking performances he consistently delivers

Oh behave 😅. We haven't been in a relegation scrap since he's been here, despite having a terrible squad throughout and being tipped for relegation basically every year.

Separate your overall disappointment with saints from your need to blame the manager. We all want things to improve significantly sure, but that needs financial backing more than any other thing. If Ralph goes then he has done a good job for us over the years and it should be with thanks. If he stays and is backed then he deserves a chance at that as well. But then equally that should equally be his last chance - there should be no more excuses after a summer of being backed - as it would definitely be a team majorly made of players he wants without compromising.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Suhari said:

I pretty much agree with your comment, however I think it may be more about buying value, rather than 'cheap'. I recall some stats of Brentford's historic signings, and some of them were pretty large ££ (in Championship terms).

Yeah i agree, I shared a breakdown of Brentford's net spend when we were taking over. They invested money year after year and turned a very tidy profit. Ultimately staying in the promotion chase every season, funding a new stadium, and getting promoted. I hope we will do the equivalent of that for the premier league - buying "cheaper" players that add value. I cannot see saints spending £23-£35m on players.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Oh behave 😅. We haven't been in a relegation scrap since he's been here, despite having a terrible squad throughout and being tipped for relegation basically every year.

Separate your overall disappointment with saints from your need to blame the manager. We all want things to improve significantly sure, but that needs financial backing more than any other thing. If Ralph goes then he has done a good job for us over the years and it should be with thanks. If he stays and is backed then he deserves a chance at that as well. But then equally that should equally be his last chance - there should be no ore excuses after a summer of being backed - as it would definitely be a team majorly made of players he wants without compromising.

He is never going to get silly money so what exactly are you thinking when you say "if he is backed" - if we are lucky we might get one or two better signings than in previous years, but there isn't going to be some sort of revolution if that's what you're thinking?

As to "separating my overall disappointment from need to blame the manager" - I get that the squad is poor, however I see this narrative more and more on here recently: "it's not Ralph's fault it's the players" - truth is probably somewhere in the middle I guess.

Ralph absolutely does need to be held to account - he's paid handsomely to figure this shit out and he is failing miserably with clueless tactics, inability to react when things are going south, inability to coach a defence, inability to motivate, going on long losing streaks, conceding goals for fun. The football is dismal, passionless, predictable. So yeah, I do blame Ralph for that.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Willing to have a small sportsman's bet with you that he will go. Probably to Spurs I reckon. Or Newcastle, or Villa. Will bring a lot of cash in that we can reinvest (guessing we're skint), and although he's excellent, a good source of goals etc, he's not irreplaceable. And for me his captaincy skills aren't the best part of his game. And we certainly need leaders.

44 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

We haven't been in a relegation scrap since he's been here

And, for this season, if Burnley don't get another point (vs Villa and Newcastle) it'll transpire that we were safe in February....

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

Been doing that for 5 years so nothing will change.

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

In fact business as usual. It ain't worked very well so far.

15 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Because most of us could see that the score line flattered us, that we were being over run, not offering anything going forward and that the likely end result would be a defeat which it was. If you're ok with Ralph sitting on his hands at half time then that's your opinion but I know plenty of fans wanted to see some proactive changes that might have helped turn the tide.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I can only assume that you didn’t watch the game. After they equalised we had no control of the ball, the play was all down our end, we had no counter attacks, our midfield was non existent and it was obvious which team was going to score next. Our goalkeeper and centre backs were being harassed as they tried to play the ball around and were rushed into mistakes and loose passes.

it wasn’t until the last few minutes of the game that we finally started to put together a good spell of football and were making several passes in succession. But this was after we had put our three subs on, Adams, Romeu and Stuart Armstrong. That’s three players from our A team. Players who should have been on from the start.

Anybody?

Maybe his Mum? Can't come up with anyone else.

• Like 1

Southampton remain committed to Ralph Hasenhuttl as the club’s long-term manager with no plans to sack him despite the recent poor run of results #saintsfc 

It is believed that some internal discussions amongst the Southampton hierarchy were had about Hasenhuttl’s position, but the conclusion was the 54-year-old continues to be fundamental to their project & he will be in charge next season to execute it 

idiots  

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Anybody?

Last chance perhaps? Some largely absent pace? I think Romeu and Armstrong have been looking tired recently: the latter since he came back from injury seems to have lost that burst of speed that took him past players. He's tried it and failed quite a number of times. But certainly they should have come on earlier and our passivity was worrying.

I believe Tella was at Arsenal. He's probably one of those players they let go whilst assuring him that he'd make the grade in the professional game "somewhere in the lower divisions"..

I think we missed Perraud and Livramento more than we might imagine, but I still don't know why A.Armstrong hasn't had a few more chances off the bench recently. He's not one of the worst forwards we've had to put up with over the years, and I go back to before Dixon and Speedie..

45 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Because most of us could see that the score line flattered us, that we were being over run, not offering anything going forward and that the likely end result would be a defeat which it was. If you're ok with Ralph sitting on his hands at half time then that's your opinion but I know plenty of fans wanted to see some proactive changes that might have helped turn the tide.

We set up to frustrate them and it was working, we were drawing. For weeks people have been complaining about Ralph been too stubborn, being too easy to play against and not changing his formation. He does that, it was working and when we went behind he changed it. In the away game he had a plan to try and get at them and attack, we ended up 4-0 down at half time.

Klopp is one of the best managers in the world. Their ‘keeper alone cost more than the team we put out last night, what exactly were you expecting?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Klopp is one of the best managers in the world. Their ‘keeper alone cost more than the team we put out last night, what exactly were you expecting?

On that note, we had no right losing away to both Norwich and Brentford

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

We set up to frustrate them and it was working, we were drawing. For weeks people have been complaining about Ralph been too stubborn, being too easy to play against and not changing his formation. He does that, it was working and when we went behind he changed it. In the away game he had a plan to try and get at them and attack, we ended up 4-0 down at half time.

We were drawing up until we were losing.

22 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

Last chance perhaps? Some largely absent pace? I think Romeu and Armstrong have been looking tired recently: the latter since he came back from injury seems to have lost that burst of speed that took him past players. He's tried it and failed quite a number of times. But certainly they should have come on earlier and our passivity was worrying.

I believe Tella was at Arsenal. He's probably one of those players they let go whilst assuring him that he'd make the grade in the professional game "somewhere in the lower divisions"..

I think we missed Perraud and Livramento more than we might imagine, but I still don't know why A.Armstrong hasn't had a few more chances off the bench recently. He's not one of the worst forwards we've had to put up with over the years, and I go back to before Dixon and Speedie..

I was thinking more of Che Adams. I can see no explanation for starting Tella ahead of him. Adam Armstrong I agree with you. He's a much better prospect than Tella will ever be.

Yes, I'd have preferred Adams starting, the other two benefitting more from not playing the full 90. The only reason I can see is Tella's pace but it would have been better used being closer to Broja.

I get excited about new signings: my natural optimism I suppose. But I want to be _really_ excited this summer! 😉

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dman said:

Yes, agreed, but if we can use the money from his sale to replace him L4L as a CM and get a striker capable of replacing his goals, We’d arguably be stronger as a result. 

So we're going to sell JWP and with the money we get for him we will buy a CM that is just as good as JWP (LFL) AND a striker who will score more goals than him.

It's definitely a cunning plan, but surely the club that are going to buy JWP off us would just go and buy the CM that we're going to get, who is just as good, and save themselves a fortune?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

22 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

So let me get this right. You're very pleased 'Redmond' may be staying and don't wish to put any blame on McCarthy.

Yet at the same time you wouldn't mind if we sold one of our two actual PL players, captain and player of the season because he 'stops our attacks'' and slows us down.

This is the sort of attitude that has spiraled us down to mediocrity. Happy to let the best players go by downplaying their importance, yet sticking up for and continuously trying to support the crap that is hanging around. Moussa, Armstrong, Redmond, Bednarek, McCarthy, Elyounoussi, Valery etc are the problems - not JWP.

You build the team around JWP and get rid of the shit dragging his game down.

Actually the whole squad are PL players. They may not be in your opinion, and with a large percentage they are not good enough, in my opinion either. 

It is not my attitude that has caused the spiral, it is the attitude of the club who have always sold our better players. Needs must I suppose.

Im not McCarthys greatest fan, but I find it odd that our team goes out on the pitch and an important part of that team gets booed. Its counter productive to the teams chances. It must not have helped McCarthy and no doubt made him (and team edgy)

I dont know of any club that would build a side around a defensive minded midfielder. Perhaps find a blend to compliment him by all means. 

I like a large part of the fan base are disengaged with this team, and cant see why all of a sudden again we have fallen off the cliff. Our fortunate win V Arsenal  has been a lifesaver.

Iam amazed that Ralph came to the club with intimate knowledge of the German league, I fully expected some gems to be recruited from there, but no.

Apparently he brings young players through.......4 years later the young players have in the main gone backwards or sideways.

A pressing style that has now become inert

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

He is never going to get silly money so what exactly are you thinking when you say "if he is backed" - if we are lucky we might get one or two better signings than in previous years, but there isn't going to be some sort of revolution if that's what you're thinking?

As to "separating my overall disappointment from need to blame the manager" - I get that the squad is poor, however I see this narrative more and more on here recently: "it's not Ralph's fault it's the players" - truth is probably somewhere in the middle I guess.

Ralph absolutely does need to be held to account - he's paid handsomely to figure this shit out and he is failing miserably with clueless tactics, inability to react when things are going south, inability to coach a defence, inability to motivate, going on long losing streaks, conceding goals for fun. The football is dismal, passionless, predictable. So yeah, I do blame Ralph for that.

Who said silly money? In all seriousness, "Backed" (for our recent history) would be not having to release players like Hoedt and Carillo on a free to mobilise their wages.... Or not having to sell your best player (in Ings), not adequately replacing him (with Armstrong) - all to get a backup full back (Liv/Perraud) whilst replacing Bertrand (let go on a Free) and sign a CB (Lyanco) - note we also needed Vest to fund all that and balance the books. Plus ofc cheaping out on a young loan striker in Broja.... I don't think we had a bad window all things considered, but no one can sit here and say the manager has been backed so far, and we've all got to be expecting we're operating with less restrictions from now on surely!?!?

Edited by Saint86

2 hours ago, DT said:

Southampton remain committed to Ralph Hasenhuttl as the club’s long-term manager with no plans to sack him despite the recent poor run of results #saintsfc 

It is believed that some internal discussions amongst the Southampton hierarchy were had about Hasenhuttl’s position, but the conclusion was the 54-year-old continues to be fundamental to their project & he will be in charge next season to execute it 

idiots  

Great. So we're going to waste another transfer window trying to build a squad to fit an utterly flawed formation and tactical approach to appease a broken flush manager who'll be gone by November.

I'll say this for Saints, at least they consistently spare the supporters from the dreaded phrase "it's the hope that kills you".

The guy is done. All out of ideas, and he only ever had one. 

And the football is absolutely shite. As boring as Puel, but without the grim pragmatism.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

I don't think we had a bad window all things considered, but no one can sit here and say the manager has been backed so far, and we've all got to be expecting we're operating with less restrictions from now on surely!?!?

I agree, and I bloomin' well hope so.

7 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

And the football is absolutely shite. As boring as Puel, but without the grim pragmatism.

Only that when they have been playing well this season they've been a class above anything shown under Puel. All I can say is that we need improvement all round, but as Manchester United and Watford, two ends of the spectrum, have shown just changing the manager doesn't always help when the underlying situation undermines them.

7 hours ago, Dman said:

Free kicks aside we’d be in the championship by now. 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl