Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

7 minutes ago, Christophenburg said:

I think the glaring flaw in this plan is that I'm increasingly of the opinion that Ralph would simply ignore any advice he's given. He delays making any changes for such a long time (despite repeatedly advocating for 5 subs a game which he'll seemingly all use in the 80th minute), and sometimes seems to be in disbelief that his initial tactics haven't worked. I'm not convinced that adding additional advice into that process will ultimately change anything - I mean what is Kitzbichler doing otherwise?

I think Kitchbicher is a video man apparently

41 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Think his time is coming to an end this summer to be honest. Wasn't his usual self in his press conference, both he and the players don't seem to have much fight left. Wouldn't surprise me if something has been said in the background. I'd also echo the comments that it looks like he's almost trying to get himself sacked. 

I didn't watch post match last night, but I noticed this after the Brentford game. It felt like he wanted out in his post match interview.

21 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Ralph needs a right hand man to bounce ideas off, but unfortunately it seems to me he likes to dictate, I think there was another Austrian who liked total rule.

Was Ralphs success in Germany down to his help with Rohl (?) I think who has gone onto bigger and better things.

When the Athletic broadcast to the world that we had the 60min energy break I believe we were playing good and successful football. Then that was stopped and we fell away. I may be wrong and hopefully someone will know the timeline (MLG) to either confirm or deny.

The same publication also announced the exclusive of FF leaving, why just before the Liverpool game, why not as the season finished?

Maybe Ralph should be the right hand man, he is way out of his depth as a premier league manager, he would probably make a good number two (take that last bit whichever way you wish) 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, kwsaint said:

For the little it's worth, my guess is that we will hear an announcement the week after the Leicester game that Ralph is off. 

If so, I just hoped he’s walked. If we have to pay him off that won’t come cheap with two years left on his contract.

2 minutes ago, kwsaint said:

For the little it's worth, my guess is that we will hear an announcement the week after the Leicester game that Ralph is off. 

I think you maybe right, there is definitely an air of something significant going on, we haven't experienced dysfunctionality in a long long time.

I've come to the conclusion it is time for Ralph to go. I think he has done a good job with players at his disposal but I also feel he might have taken us as far as he can. The club feels like it is due a fresh start and that includes the manager. We need a wholesale change in the playing squad, players like Redmond, Bednarek, McCarthy, Diallo, Walcott, Long, Djenepo, Valery and Elyounoussi can all be sold. We desperately need a new spine and I'd argue a new style of football/formation. At the moment we are a very predictable side to play and show so little creativity. If we have sustained possession, it feels highly unlikely that we will break a team down. More often than not our goals are either through a JWP set piece or a mistake from the opposition. 

Positives from the Liverpool game... I thought Lyanco looked decent, that's about it. 

14 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

His continuance with CBs (primarily Salisu) taking long throws is becoming ludicrous! 

It is becoming equally stupid as Harry Kane taking corners at the 2016 euros

It’s the same bloke who was in charge of those as well.

Sacked as GK coach so, given a speciality role in charge of set plays even after that shambles of that euros. 

What does Watson have on the club? Between him and Kelv, that is a proper job for the boys. Get rid of both. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Dman said:

It’s the same bloke who was in charge of those as well.

Sacked as GK coach so, given a speciality role in charge of set plays even after that shambles of that euros. 

What does Watson have on the club? Between him and Kelv, that is a proper job for the boys. Get rid of both. 

I am increasingly frustrated by RH, but maintain that the 'quality' of the coaching staff is really not EPL standard: nowhere near. Add in the poor quality of the squad and that's not an easy situation for any manager.

Of course the buck stops with him, but can you expect to polish a turd if the cloth you're using is already covered in shit?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toussaint said:

I think you maybe right, there is definitely an air of something significant going on, we haven't experienced dysfunctionality in a long long time.

Apart from the end of last season, it was just as bad. I think Ralph runs them into the ground, so by the end of Feb they're done and you've got to hope you already have enough points in the bag by then. (Luckily we always seem to have enough in the bag)

Every end of season has been like this, it goes on for months. I said to my brother after we'd lost at home to Watford ''this is the start of many defeats on the bounce''. I didn't want to be right, but sadly it's just very predictable. I'd say the Norwich home game, even though we won, was a sign that we were starting to flag. Since that game we have only picked up 5 points.

I think the lock down games back that point up, just before lock down - end of feb/start of march, we began to flag again. Lost to Newcastle in the final home game, and then had an enforced break. Obviously that break allowed everyone to recharge and have a massive period of reset, then we came back able to play that high pressing tactic again.

How do you fix that is the question. There are two ways really, you either ignore the good that comes with playing the way Ralph plays and go for someone more conservative who will ultimately lead us to where we are now, just in a different way. Or we significantly back Ralph to bring in the first team quality he needs so we don't have to run a select group of players to the ground every year, as we just don't have enough quality to rotate them with. More depth, yes, but not quality.

It comes down to what the club want to do. They either back Ralph's approach and back him to build a squad capable of sustaining it, or they admit they cannot back this approach and let him go and get a more conservative appointment in place.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Apart from the end of last season, it was just as bad. I think Ralph runs them into the ground, so by the end of Feb they're done and you've got to hope you already have enough points in the bag by then. (Luckily we always seem to have enough in the bag)

Every end of season has been like this, it goes on for months. I said to my brother after we'd lost at home to Watford ''this is the start of many defeats on the bounce''. I didn't want to be right, but sadly it's just very predictable. I'd say the Norwich home game, even though we won, was a sign that we were starting to flag. Since that game we have only picked up 5 points.

I think the lock down games back that point up, just before lock down - end of feb/start of march, we began to flag again. Lost to Newcastle in the final home game, and then had an enforced break. Obviously that break allowed everyone to recharge and have a massive period of reset, then we came back able to play that high pressing tactic again.

How do you fix that is the question. There are two ways really, you either ignore the good that comes with playing the way Ralph plays and go for someone more conservative who will ultimately lead us to where we are now, just in a different way. Or we significantly back Ralph to bring in the first team quality he needs so we don't have to run a select group of players to the ground every year, as we just don't have enough quality to rotate them with. More depth, yes, but not quality.

It comes down to what the club want to do. They either back Ralph's approach and back him to build a squad capable of sustaining it, or they admit they cannot back this approach and let him go and get a more conservative appointment in place.

How does that equate to lack of substitutions at right time? Poor tactics like 1 up front when 1-2 down and leaving on 3 centre halves?

Putting players not played in weeks, leaving on players been absolutely rubbish for months.

Not picking on you but I have read so many Ralph apologist ms today all ignoring the facts he is tactically clueless.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I agree totally regarding the Norwich game, we won,  but Smith had a plan to nullify us and hit on the counter, it nearly worked. Its at that  point I think we were widely worked out by other clubs and thereafter nullified.  I'm not so sure about the burnout argument, if it is burnout is not purely physical burnout in my opinion. The good players  must be just as exasperated as the fans are with team selections, tactics, substitutions and game management. I sense a lot have had a gutful and minds are now elsewhere. 

I don't really want to Ralph to be backed, I just prefer him to go now, I don't trust him with the rebuild and I don't trust him to rectify his own grave shortcomings. If its true he is intending to retire then why persist anyway?  I have a feeling he may go after Leicester,  as stated by another poster, that may well have affected things recently.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

He is garbage

5points in nearly half a season… as another loss to come at Leicester yet…. When you say everyone said saints were for the drop Ralph  how does this form prove them wrong? Imagine this is our start to next season 😬 

16 minutes ago, saint michael said:

5points in nearly half a season… as another loss to come at Leicester yet…. When you say everyone said saints were for the drop Ralph  how does this form prove them wrong? Imagine this is our start to next season 😬 

Add the  Leicester game and its a third of  a season (just over),  but still equates to 15 points over the season, what's  more is i can't think of any unlucky losses in those 12 games but we did have a very lucky win against Arsenal. It's absolutely dire  

• Like 1

A mate of mine reckons he's been told Staplewood aint a happy place at the moment, Ralph has let it be known he's not happy with the lack of backing from the board, along with a couple of players who want out and others who've been told they can leave.

For what it's worth I'm not sure anyone could do better than Ralph with the lack of funds he has, they might have the team playing more consistently where our losses are spread out over the season and we win and lose the games we expect to, whereas with Ralph we have massive ups and downs, playing like world beaters for a while, beating and drawing with top teams, then playing like dog shit for a while losing against everyone including the teams we'd expect to beat.  The end result of both ways would be we end up in the same place in the league.

The problem is the lack of funds, whilst we're all blaming Ralph the owners are getting an easy ride, they've bought a football club and haven't invested any money, that's their choice, but if you only pay peanuts you get monkeys, just look at the team last night, most of them would only get in teams just promoted, the ones which are any good will soon be off.

You'll see over the next few weeks players being linked through the press, everyone excited by the names, but nothing will come of it, most likely as we don't pay the wages or fees.  The new season will start and we'd have brought in some hopeful from the lower leagues or some untested kid from a second rate foreign league, then everyone will blame the manager when we get spanked each week.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

A mate of mine reckons he's been told Staplewood aint a happy place at the moment, Ralph has let it be known he's not happy with the lack of backing from the board, along with a couple of players who want out and others who've been told they can leave.

For what it's worth I'm not sure anyone could do better than Ralph with the lack of funds he has, they might have the team playing more consistently where our losses are spread out over the season and we win and lose the games we expect to, whereas with Ralph we have massive ups and downs, playing like world beaters for a while, beating and drawing with top teams, then playing like dog shit for a while losing against everyone including the teams we'd expect to beat.  The end result of both ways would be we end up in the same place in the league.

The problem is the lack of funds, whilst we're all blaming Ralph the owners are getting an easy ride, they've bought a football club and haven't invested any money, that's their choice, but if you only pay peanuts you get monkeys, just look at the team last night, most of them would only get in teams just promoted, the ones which are any good will soon be off.

You'll see over the next few weeks players being linked through the press, everyone excited by the names, but nothing will come of it, most likely as we don't pay the wages or fees.  The new season will start and we'd have brought in some hopeful from the lower leagues or some untested kid from a second rate foreign league, then everyone will blame the manager when we get spanked each week.

I really hope the new owners are not Gao with a different title.

IF that turns out to be true, it will be worse as they have been ‘chosen’ to be our owners 

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Really don't see those as the only two options, we could get someone who can play a system that the players are more suited too, be more adaptable and change systems etc etc

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

IF that turns out to be true, it will be worse as they have been ‘chosen’ to be our owners 

I suspect, The only reason they were chosen was because it kept semmens and Co. in a job. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

i reckon JWP, Romeu, Adam Armstrong (anyone see the close up on him yesterday, no doubt moaning about his lot?), Redmond (always a bad smell from him), and maybe Stuart Armstrong are off, along with Forster. Simple answer would be to get a better manager in. It's not all about money. If he had any tactical nous he would get more from the players.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

If they are then next season is going to be a struggle regardless of who is manager.

48 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

To be fair, they really haven't had the opportunity to do anything at this stage, other than to assess what they have, and it's only right they have taken the time to do that. You'd think they'll want to protect their investments and relegation would not be part of their business plan. I will reserve judgment on them until the end of the summer transfer window.  

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

I heard 9 players out, no idea who, but the worry, as always, is it will be our more marketable assets not the dross that'll be hard to shift.

Ralph said at the end of the bbc interview there was a lot of business to do. So he clearly thinks a lot will happen. WhIlst he delivers prem survival I think he will have a job regardless of what we want or think. The last 15 games have been like watching the bottom Side perform and him getting off with it from the board because of earlier form and consequence of change. 

I still don’t see enough tactical nouse or individual  / team  coaching to give me confidence he can improve. As somebody said earlier it’s hard to assess what could be done with this lot with a different approach. Running them into the ground clearly doesn’t work and I can’t believe there is a whole team of JWP’s level of effort who can be bought that could maintain that style. 

I find his behaviour on the line irritating like he’s not associated with what’s going on, on the pitch and his pre and post match comments ridiculous and even more irritating 

1 hour ago, Millbrook Saint said:

A mate of mine reckons he's been told Staplewood aint a happy place at the moment

Told by whom? Cheers 

(the answer influences whether I'm inclined to believe it or not.)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

They only bought the club in January, not sure what investment was to be expected at this point? We were in a decent run of form and there’s no real value in the January window. Makes sense for them to use that time wisely, assess the club inside and out and work out what they want to do long term.

Id also like to think Ankersen helped run a successful operation at Brentford and Dragan made his money not by being a mug. And why buy the club? Not to make a quick buck, as there’s fck all worth much in this squad. Relegation will be a massive loss to them, so they are not going to just let this slide.

Obviously if nothing has changed at the end of the summer window then we’ll be in the shit.

• Like 11

17 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I heard 9 players out, no idea who, but the worry, as always, is it will be our more marketable assets not the dross that'll be hard to shift.

Other than the double barrelled boys, would people shed a tear seeing anyone else go? I wouldn’t. 

9 going - would guess at;

Forster, Stephens, Romeu, Redmond, Long, Bednarek, Djenepo, Broja, Valery

Absolutely ludicrous.

Close season is the first time the new owners get a chance to properly invest in the team.

Ralph has been publicly backed in the media by the owners.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Seems clear all is not well. But to blame the new owners for the existing team and investment is ridiculous, they've only been here a few months. Summer will be the test, build rebuilding job to be started. Although we seem to have been starting a rebuilding job every summer since Koeman left.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Seems clear all is not well. But to blame the new owners for the existing team and investment is ridiculous, they've only been here a few months. Summer will be the test, build rebuilding job to be started. Although we seem to have been starting a rebuilding job every summer since Koeman left.

And it seems every summer we have to wait until the next, as we try and shift the 'dead wood'

In other news, Ross Wilson smug as you like in Seville right now

26 minutes ago, darren2 said:

I'm guessing:

Redmond, 

Nathan interviewed after the game, thanked the fans and said next season we will do better. So I myself am very pleased he is staying, but like McCarthy it is always their fault we lose.

I know its heresy to say but I wouldnt mind JWP leaving if we reinvested the funds well. He is fantastic at free kicks and gives his all, but IMO his lack of forward passes, and slow build up play stops our counter attacks.

When did he last slot a ball through for one of our forwards to run onto? He is a fantastic player, and probably deserves to go to a side that his skill set fits in with.

This is not an attack on him but just a personal opinion. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, OldNick said:

Nathan interviewed after the game, thanked the fans and said next season we will do better. So I myself am very pleased he is staying, but like McCarthy it is always their fault we lose.

I know its heresy to say but I wouldnt mind JWP leaving if we reinvested the funds well. He is fantastic at free kicks and gives his all, but IMO his lack of forward passes, and slow build up play stops our counter attacks.

When did he last slot a ball through for one of our forwards to run onto? He is a fantastic player, and probably deserves to go to a side that his skill set fits in with.

He has been nominated for player of the year.  There is more to his game than that.  he would be very good in a properly coached side, as would many of our players

3 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

He has been nominated for player of the year.  There is more to his game than that.  he would be very good in a properly coached side, as would many of our players

Considering what he has around him and his wonderful free kicks he deserves the nomination

19 minutes ago, OldNick said:

He was alone in midfield yesterday evening. That’s a lot to ask even against a team as poor as Liverpool.

1 hour ago, saint michael said:

Ralph said at the end of the bbc interview there was a lot of business to do. So he clearly thinks a lot will happen. WhIlst he delivers prem survival I think he will have a job regardless of what we want or think. The last 15 games have been like watching the bottom Side perform and him getting off with it from the board because of earlier form and consequence of change. 

I still don’t see enough tactical nouse or individual  / team  coaching to give me confidence he can improve. As somebody said earlier it’s hard to assess what could be done with this lot with a different approach. Running them into the ground clearly doesn’t work and I can’t believe there is a whole team of JWP’s level of effort who can be bought that could maintain that style. 

I find his behaviour on the line irritating like he’s not associated with what’s going on, on the pitch and his pre and post match comments ridiculous and even more irritating 

agreed. I wouldn't spend 1 penny on a team being managed by ralph. Get rid. This team is better than the shocking performances he consistently delivers

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, OldNick said:

So let me get this right. You're very pleased 'Redmond' may be staying and don't wish to put any blame on McCarthy.

Yet at the same time you wouldn't mind if we sold one of our two actual PL players, captain and player of the season because he 'stops our attacks'' and slows us down.

This is the sort of attitude that has spiraled us down to mediocrity. Happy to let the best players go by downplaying their importance, yet sticking up for and continuously trying to support the crap that is hanging around. Moussa, Armstrong, Redmond, Bednarek, McCarthy, Elyounoussi, Valery etc are the problems - not JWP.

You build the team around JWP and get rid of the shit dragging his game down.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 10

33 minutes ago, trousers said:

Told by whom? Cheers 

(the answer influences whether I'm inclined to believe it or not.)

To be honest I don't care whether you believe me or not, not even sure I believe it, I don't even know if my mate believes who told him, we were talking in the pub last night and this is what he said, probably all bullshit, difference is we didn't hassle him saying well tell me who said it or I won't believe you, we just talked about what he said, then moved on, maybe you should do the same

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ErwinK1961 said:

They only bought the club in January, not sure what investment was to be expected at this point? We were in a decent run of form and there’s no real value in the January window. Makes sense for them to use that time wisely, assess the club inside and out and work out what they want to do long term.

Id also like to think Ankersen helped run a successful operation at Brentford and Dragan made his money not by being a mug. And why buy the club? Not to make a quick buck, as there’s fck all worth much in this squad. Relegation will be a massive loss to them, so they are not going to just let this slide.

Obviously if nothing has changed at the end of the summer window then we’ll be in the shit.

with my glass half full attitude I think this is most likely, as you say we were doing pretty well back then, so no need to panic buy, I'm hoping they're playing down what their plans are and we'll have a couple of nice surprises.

The proof in the pudding will be after the transfer window closes and we've only bought a young lad from a Swedish reserve team, JWP and KWP have both been flogged and we get the normal, we tried our best but it's a tough market line rolled out, till then I'd like to think the owners are little more ambitious than that

17 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I’m just glad that I stayed behind for the lap of degradation at the end so that I had the chance to wave him goodbye.

Here’s a suggestion Ralph, always play your best team.

Thought Ralph looked totally dejected during that lap. 

• Like 1

As proven by some results earlier in the season, this squad actually can play a good game and compete with the bigger clubs. 

Unfortunately Ralph has a habit of trying something different when he doesn't need to. He tinkers with players and formations and also sticks by players who are regularly under performing. 

He is an inconsistent manager and the end result is an inconsistent team. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Saint Billy said:

As proven by some results earlier in the season, this squad actually can play a good game and compete with the bigger clubs. 

Unfortunately Ralph has a habit of trying something different when he doesn't need to. He tinkers with players and formations and also sticks by players who are regularly under performing. 

He is an inconsistent manager and the end result is an inconsistent team. 

Quite amusing that for ages the criticism of Ralph was that he didn't change things enough

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Quite amusing that for ages the criticism of Ralph was that he didn't change things enough

I think the criticism is that he doesn’t change things during the game. If it’s obvious that the formation isn’t working then why wait until the opposition has scored before making substitutions?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Other than the double barrelled boys, would people shed a tear seeing anyone else go? I wouldn’t. 

9 going - would guess at;

Forster, Stephens, Romeu, Redmond, Long, Bednarek, Djenepo, Broja, Valery

Lewis would have to be one of however many that depart.

My view on Ralph- for whom I’ve defended for most of his tenure, is that he’s too easily scared. And that rubs off on the team. Play well, play confidently and he exudes confidence. Take a hammering and he quickly becomes scared- so then the tactics become cautious, and the team looks fearful.

Even the win against arsenal was achieved by praying to god they didn’t stuff us. We went for the same approach against Liverpool last night and didn’t get lucky. He will see that as a positive as we didn’t get murdered. He, and we, are best when he trusts his instincts, his way of playing, his preferred formation and the players are tuned in to that. 

i still want it to work for him as when we’ve been good, we’ve been really good. But last night was woeful, passive and above all else fearful-football. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl