Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

31 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Absolutely.

For years we've had this notion of 'the club hires the coaches', which is nonsense, particularly if we hire turds. The manager needs to trust and respect the coaching team he has, accept their feedback, value their input and have his thinking challenged by them. And of course the team needs to align to his philosophy (and that of the club).

Dave "iPad, nice hair" Watson, Kelvin "near post, player liaison" Davis and Craig "didn't do a great job before this" Fleming? Would you listen to anything they told you?

Get fucking rid.

I see that the contracts of KnpplD and CddagjbtF expire at the end of June anyway.

That's a good point. DAvis used to always be beaten by his near post and now McCarthy seems to be, wonder if the two are connected?

23 minutes ago, Suhari said:

If my memory serves correctly, we moved to a model where the fitness coach was replaced by the sports-science team.

Might explain it. Reminds me of the old saying that a 'camel is a horse designed by a committee'. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Puddings and Monkeys said:

But it's not just been in The Sun has it...

Ralph himself said 4-5 weeks ago that the whole coaching setup would be reviewed and he was open to that.  I wish I could find the article.

The club has made Ralph its centrepiece with his Playbook and it's adoption across all levels; ditching that would be too disruptive in the short-term and carry too many risks.  Recruiting better, more experienced coaches makes total sense in this scenario and will address many of the problems we see every week on the pitch.  Add in some smart recruitment - Ralph has already spoken about more experienced players to go alongside a few more "Tino's" - and we might just surprise even some of biggest bed-wetting fans.

Not sure tearing up Ralph's playbook will cause any serious issues even in the short term. A new manager would want to stamp his own style on the way the team plays and he'd have the whole pre-season to work on that and get the players tuned in to his methods.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

That's a good point. DAvis used to always be beaten by his near post and now McCarthy seems to be, wonder if the two are connected?

Where did this myth come from that goalkeepers shouldn't be beaten at their near post??

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

It's a lazy trope that people parrot without really knowing what they're talking about.

My understanding is that it relates to shots coming in from players breaking into the box on the left or right as opposed to down the middle. I think the view is that he should save anything near post but a shot into the far corner not so much. Could be completely wrong of course 🙂

1 hour ago, Mowgli said:

Where did this myth come from that goalkeepers shouldn't be beaten at their near post??

1 hour ago, cloggy saint said:

It's a lazy trope that people parrot without really knowing what they're talking about.

It’s basic goalkeeping to cover the angles and your near post.

I don’t know much, but I definitely know a bit about this.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

image.png.76f7b2a717697bf658fb4929b2c7c421.png
I wonder what's involved in "fighting to keep his job". Is there a fight/arm wrestle/quiz where if Ralph beats Dragan's nominated champion he stays on?

Seems like an empty article - surely decisions like this were made already. As the bosses you might DEMAND changes (to performances etc) in the season, but MAKE changes (to the manager, coaching team etc) in the close season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

It’s basic goalkeeping to cover the angles and your near post.

I don’t know much, but I definitely know a bit about this.

This article suggests otherwise. Things have changed so much in modern football. Strikers are better, the ball curves more and moves faster through the air. Simply standing on the near post just doesn't work well enough anymore because if they do the ball will continually be whipped past them into the far corner.

https://www.keeperportal.co.uk/myth-goalkeepers-beaten-near-post/

Here's also an Instagram post from Kasper Schmeichel who knows a thing or 2 about goalkeeping.

Screenshot_2022-05-25-17-16-26-02_e4424258c8b8649f6e67d283a50a2cbc.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mowgli said:

As an ex goalie yes you will be beaten at the near post but not often. If you have a right footed player coming from the right side of the box then narrowing the angles should present very little to your left and 90% of the time he will shoot to your right where there is a far greater margin of error and you have ahigher perecentage of saving the shot. McCarthy does not do this.His positioning and narrowing of angles is poor

• Like 4

I don’t know why some bedwetters are predicting relegation. They didn’t take the club over to be relegated. All but Dragan are football intellectuals. They have been watching the club for over a year. I reckon they have decided which players will be binned and have a fairly good idea who’s coming in.

I wish I could find the article where Ralph says he’s got a tough job with new players coming in. There are some definitive comments that Ralph’s staying. There’s no way Sports Republic will allow Saints to wallow in the relegation zone.

I don’t think the timing of the takeover of the takeover was a coincidence either. Plans will be in place.

as I’ve said before I’m looking forward to the summer let alone next season.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, manji said:

I don’t know why some bedwetters are predicting relegation.

I hope you're correct in what you say, I really do. If they do have plans in place, I'd expect these "new players coming in" to arrive sooner rather than later.

As for "bedwetters" - you did witness the shambles of the last half of the season yes?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

I hope you're correct in what you say, I really do. If they do have plans in place, I'd expect these "new players coming in" to arrive sooner rather than later.

As for "bedwetters" - you did witness the shambles of the last half of the season yes?

You’re welcome.

Just now, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Surely this is now Ralph's last chance saloon? If they've sacked all the coaches and it still doesn't improve, it has to be him next? Or will he walk in a show of solidarity with his coaching team???

I think it would have been the new ownership's discussions with Ralph that have led to it. Itcwill be interesting to see who comes in. New faces and relationships should shake things up, not to mention the coaching skills they'll have.

We're going to be a bit miffed, when the new coaches turn out all to have had playing careers as goalkeepers. 🙂

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Please elaborate 

I believe he means it's just the start of the rebuilding that Sports Republic intend to carry out.

Some things, like this, can be done now and will be public knowledge. Others will be more internal, behind the scenes changes but are important in the day to day running of the club.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the club.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

I never get why people say stuff like "It's the Sun" -- It's about who the reporter is, and what contacts they have.

Yet certain people take the “ news “ The Echo pinches as gospel.

1 hour ago, Professor said:

Typical to sack the underlings while protecting the boss.  I'll give them until 1 Sept before deciding if to wash my hands of the club until there is a change.

You’ll give them Sept to rebuild the club fffs 😂

Edited by manji

2 hours ago, Professor said:

Typical to sack the underlings while protecting the boss.  I'll give them until 1 Sept before deciding if to wash my hands of the club until there is a change.

It’s not typical at all, the typical thing to do is sack the manager to appease a bunch of fans who know fuck all about the workings of a professional football club.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Professor said:

If we draw this year's top 6 in our opening fixtures, would putting a decent shift in, work in lieu of any points?

On 24/05/2022 at 20:23, Chez said:

If the task was to survive and have a decent cup run, then from the owners point of view he didn't fail.

Not sure he has been rewarded. Is keeping your job classified as a reward these days?

If you're on his wages then yes, it's a reward.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, The Cat said:

This article suggests otherwise. Things have changed so much in modern football. Strikers are better, the ball curves more and moves faster through the air. Simply standing on the near post just doesn't work well enough anymore because if they do the ball will continually be whipped past them into the far corner.

https://www.keeperportal.co.uk/myth-goalkeepers-beaten-near-post/

Here's also an Instagram post from Kasper Schmeichel who knows a thing or 2 about goalkeeping.

Screenshot_2022-05-25-17-16-26-02_e4424258c8b8649f6e67d283a50a2cbc.jpg

People say 'cover the near post' because if Im advancing onto goal at an angle that is my easiest shot to take.... its pretty much basics

Obviously you try to cover as many angles as possible but covering the 'near' post means as a striker you have to consider a harder shot and it is now effectively angling across the goal, Im not really sure how much better I can explain it without actually playing the game in front of someone

• Like 5

On 25/05/2022 at 23:11, Holmes_and_Watson said:

If we draw this year's top 6 in our opening fixtures, would putting a decent shift in, work in lieu of any points?

The point of Sept is that the transfer window will have closed. It’s not about early results, which as you say, can depend on the fixture list. It is about  the squad that has been assembled. 

• Like 1

On 25/05/2022 at 19:03, AlexLaw76 said:

Stupid decision although those three are useless you get Rid of the person that will make the biggest difference.... And that is Ralph! This is just cos the club knows they can't afford to pay Ralph off so is trying to please the fans with token gesture! A meaningless "Look we are taking action" 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Professor said:

The point of Sept is that the transfer window will have closed. It’s not about early results, which as you say, can depend on the fixture list. It is about  the squad that has been assembled. 

It's good that you're not just writing them off on results, and that you're willing to see what squad we have assembled. It can take some time for some things to fall into place, but hopefully lots of green shoots (any kind of shooting would be nice) by then.

The only way in which there should be any scenario in which Ralph gets another season is if Danny Rohl comes back & that ain't gonna happen! Ralph may have been the coach but clearly Rohl was the only one taking care of the tactical side! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr X said:

The only way in which there should be any scenario in which Ralph gets another season is if Danny Rohl comes back & that ain't gonna happen! Ralph may have been the coach but clearly Rohl was the only one taking care of the tactical side! 

What happened in 2020 then? Saints over that calender year had the 6th highest points total in the PL. Danny Rohl was not at the club for any of it.

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

What happened in 2020 then? Saints over that calender year had the 6th highest points total in the PL. Danny Rohl was not at the club for any of it.

Have they changed the season to a calendar year? Must have missed that. What title, or relegation, European places etc get awarded over the calendar year season, that doesnt exist?

Or your point is, well pointless, as results are measured across a season, which, to my limited knowledge, extrapolates over 2 years - for example, the season that just finished actually started in 2021, and ended in May 2022.

Edited by Billy the Kidd

1 hour ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Have they changed the season to a calendar year? Must have missed that. What title, or relegation, European places etc get awarded over the calendar year season, that doesnt exist?

Or your point is, well pointless, as results are measured across a season, which, to my limited knowledge, extrapolates over 2 years - for example, the season that just finished actually started in 2021, and ended in May 2022.

You missed the point completely as you did not read it in the context of what it was replying to and instead took my post in isolation. The post it was replying to stated Danny Rohl was the "only one taking care of the tactical side". So I asked what explains the 12 month spell of superb form after he left.

Edited by Matthew Le God

58 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

You missed the point completely as you did not read it in the context of what it was replying to and instead took my post in isolation. The post it was replying to stated Danny Rohl was the "only one taking care of the tactical side". So I asked what explains the 12 month spell of superb form after he left.

Confused Gary Coleman GIF irony GIFSpit Take Lol GIF by Justinbaby crying GIF

Edited by Billy the Kidd
  • Confused 2

The more I think about it the three "coaches" that were given the boot as useless as they probably were can feel aggrieved, apparently Neither RH or owners present at sacking, they go but the chief underperformer someone that's been underperforming for months & months stays.... Unless the owners have got some master stroke of genius lined up then we deserve to go down next season! Hopefully Ralph is being demoted to second in charge but I highly doubt it 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Mr X said:

The more I think about it the three "coaches" that were given the boot as useless as they probably were can feel aggrieved, apparently Neither RH or owners present at sacking, they go but the chief underperformer someone that's been underperforming for months & months stays.... Unless the owners have got some master stroke of genius lined up then we deserve to go down next season! Hopefully Ralph is being demoted to second in charge but I highly doubt it 

Why would the owners of a large company be the ones doing the sacking? That is for the HR department and/or Matt Crocker as director of football to deal with.

Can you name some examples of managers on £6m per year being demoted to assistant manager? Talk us through how the club could pull that one off!

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Why would the owners of a large company be the ones doing the sacking? That is for the HR department and/or Matt Crocker as director of football to deal with.

Can you name some examples of managers on £6m per year being demoted to assistant manager? Talk us through how the club could pull that one off!

Il help him out .. wot he means is for you and ralphy to fuck off and be 1 and 2 for the shite at the other end of the m27. You like Ralph talks a good game but disappears and blames everyone else wen you’re both called out on you’re bullshit!!.. 3 way love triangle with you Ralphy baby and pompey !! 

• Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl