Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

4 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

I say offer Thomas Frank double his current wages. Still half of what Ralph is getting, and a manager that possibly Saints fancy (reading between the lines of past comments from them).

Let's say they match what we offer, why would be leave to come here? Their squad is probably better and their summer signings have been better. I can't see that we can offer him anything that they can't. 

Our timing is so poor. He should’ve gone in the spring so we could plan for this season properly. If not before the end of the season it should’ve been the morning after the last game.

If he goes in the next month or two all that time was wasted when the new man could’ve been getting to know players and put down new foundations. 

Not sure if he would have had any input in recruitment, but if so it’s again stupid we’re letting someone on his last legs influence transfer business when they are (hopefully) not going to be around much longer. 

He is severely past his expiry date with me. Whilst I don’t particularly have any genius name to replace him with, if the club did not draw up a potential list 3-4 month ago then they’re completely stupid. 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, egg said:

Let's say they match what we offer, why would be leave to come here? Their squad is probably better and their summer signings have been better. I can't see that we can offer him anything that they can't. 

If that table is accurate, then it would take a brave man to turn down a 4.5m per year increase, so we offer him what we’re paying ralph. 

I guess it would come down to how much he would believe in the SR plan…

That being said, I’m not sure Frank in the right man. 

It’s difficult to predict which way we’ll go. Historically we’ve been restricted in only being able to offer the job to those who are unemployed, but we don’t know how SR will approach things. 

Outsider for me, van bronckhorst. After all, The last Ducth manager we had, who had also managed Feyenoord done alright….

• Like 1

Some random names

Djamel Belmadi ex saints - won Afcon 2019 and qualified Algeria to 2022 world cup

Roberto de Zerbi - out performed with Sasssualo got the playing nice attacking football  for 2 seasons and nearly qualified for europe - now at shatakar and won the league with them.

Urs Fischer - Got union berlin promoted into the budnesliga and the next 2 seasons got them qualified for european competitions.

Marco Rose - Ex Red Bull Salzburg coach - did well at monchengladbach (I follow them) and then Dortmund took him but sacked him when they finished 2nd

Kasper Hjulmand - Danish national coach.

out of the above i think Rose would be the best - available and wants to play our way, has experience with a big club etc etc

30 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

I think it would be the new assistant on a caretaker basis and see how it goes. Would imagine when they were looking for assistants they had half an eye on whether they thought whoever was appointed could do the job if and when required.

Because that worked so well with Wigley.

We've have to scrape the barrel to find a Portsmouth Manager we'd appoint to relegate us though.

15 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Because that worked so well with Wigley.

We've have to scrape the barrel to find a Portsmouth Manager we'd appoint to relegate us though.

I think we would actually be better with no manager than with our current clown. I reckon the players would do a better job sorting out the tactics amongst themselves!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

We don’t really have anything under Ralph imo.. he doesn’t make us hard to beat or tough defensively., yet we also really struggle to create a lot..could understand it if we were forsaking one for the other but we are not really doing anything well

we have been terrible for ages now bar that little period over Xmas last year seems more like a lucky blip tbh 

Well said.

9 hours ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

Eeeeeeeerm... I think you'll find it's around £6m per year. He is (albeit according to the figures published in the gutterpress this summer) the ninth highest paid manager in the Prem.

Highest Paid Premier League Managers

(according to The Sun)

1. Pep Guardiola (Manchester City) – £19m
2. Jurgen Klopp (Liverpool) – £16m
3. Antonio Conte (Tottenham) – £15m
4. Brendan Rodgers (Leicester) – £10m
5. Mikel Arteta (Arsenal) – £8.3m
6. Ralf Rangnick (Man United)– £8m
7. Marcelo Bielsa (Leeds) – £8m
8. Thomas Tuchel (Chelsea) – £7m
9. Ralph Hasenhuttl (Southampton) – £6m
10. Frank Lampard (Everton) – £5m
11. David Moyes (West Ham) – £5m
12. Steven Gerrard (Aston Villa) – £5m
13. Roy Hodgson (Watford) – £4.5m
14. Patrick Vieira (Crystal Palace) – £4m
15. Sean Dyche (Burnley) – £3.5m
16. Eddie Howe (Newcastle) – £3m
17. Bruno Lage (Wolves) – £2.5m
18. Graham Potter (Brighton) – £2m
19. Dean Smith (Norwich) – £1.5m
20. Thomas Frank (Brentford) – £1.5m

In response to your “Errrrrrrrrm” if you paid attention - I said his “BASE” salary - that’s before performance bonuses are added on like match fee, win bonus, finishing position in the league, staying up, qualifying for Europe, winning the Champions League, being league Champions etc etc Just the same as all of those on that list.

Bottom line remains - if he was shown the door tomorrow he could have a comfortable life

10 hours ago, MAY-Z said:

That might be a reason for not starting Che (although the fact every single person on here before the game said it wouldn’t work with Armstrong like it was, he would be isolated with no service and that’s exactly what happened, so if we can all see it, how can he not) what is the excuse for not bringing him on at half time instead of Stu? 

Playing Adam Armstrong upfront on his own against Spurs is an incredibly odd decision that I'm not convinced another manager would do. It was never going to work. If you're essentially playing 1 proper striker it has to be Che.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Harry_SFC said:

Playing Adam Armstrong upfront on his own against Spurs is an incredibly odd decision that I'm not convinced another manager would do. It was never going to work. If you're essentially playing 1 proper striker it has to be Che.

He’s clueless.

• Like 2

Just now, Harry_SFC said:

This is but one of many of his weird decisions. At this stage of his career he shouldn’t still be experimenting with line ups in every game we play.

Here’s a question. Has Ralph ever played the same starting eleven twice in all his time at Saints?

3 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

And then subbing him at half time, only to replace him with a midfielder whilst leaving Che on the bench.

Easily one of his, if not his most, baffling subs ever.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

And then subbing him at half time, only to replace him with a midfielder whilst leaving Che on the bench.

His subs are my main gripe really. Game after game they just get more and more baffling. It's like he's watching a totally different game to everyone else.

He has tried to change the formation to make us more solid, which doesn't look like it's going to work.

We beat Spurs 3-2 last season playing the 4-2-2-2. I'm not saying we should've expected a win yesterday, but if you're gonna lose, at least give it a go.

27 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Passing thought:

If Che has indicated he'd like to move on to Forest or Leeds.

Or

if the club is in negotiations with one of those to move him on, gaining the funds to buy another striker.

Would you still play him?

In the first the manager might not be pleased and feels he then has to pick players who want to be here.

In the second, with a deal close and the funds needed, they might not want him injured.

My instinct is to play him, but I can see some sense in that not having happened.

4 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Passing thought:

Or

if the club is in negotiations with one of those to move him on, gaining the funds to buy another striker.

In the first the manager might not be pleased and feels he then has to pick players who want to be here.

In the second, with a deal close and the funds needed, they might not want him injured.

My instinct is to play him, but I can see some sense in that not having happened.

Could he play any worse than we had yesterday?

It’s ok improving the squad with youth and a philosophy of buy with resale but when you have won 1in 13? shouldn’t the first thing we did was improve the first team with that money in key areas?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Passing thought:

Or

That's the only logic I can put to it to be honest, an injury or something brewing on the transfer front.

It's a shame we've gone into the season having to play Adam Armstrong in a position he can't play though, more square pegs even after spending £58m. Let's see how things look on Sept 2nd, as based on yesterday there is still significant work to do. 

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Doctoroncall said:

There are clubs where a DoF brings in the players and the head coach coaches and picked the team.  Irrespective of that, why pick a back five and the same old players?

I wonder what Selles was actually brought in to do?  There seems to be no visible impact from him - still he's got plenty of video analysis to give to the players after the Spurs game.

I reckon Selles was brought in as Ralph’s successor whenever that will be.

• Like 1

Just now, manji said:

I reckon Selles was brought in as Ralph’s successor whenever that will be.

Yeah, I'm not sure Selles was a Ralph pick. He had a say, but it was a SR pick with that in mind - thought that at the time.

But I imagine it was ear marked for 2 years though, he wouldn't be ready yet if we pulled the plug on Ralph tomorrow. 

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah, I'm not sure Selles was a Ralph pick. He had a say, but it was a SR pick with that in mind - thought that at the time.

But I imagine it was ear marked for 2 years though, he wouldn't be ready yet if we pulled the plug on Ralph tomorrow. 

I agree it was a SR pick. 

19 minutes ago, Saint Billy said:

As long as he's a hard shit and makes changes. 

Our last three starting XI have featured three different formations, using 20 different players and five substitutions yesterday. How many changes should he have made?

It's clear that Ralph is a nice guy and has good intentions but beyond that there's not much more at the moment... Zero tactical nous and continues to not learn from his decisions.... Best we can get or the wrong manager for the club? 

2 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Here’s a question. Has Ralph ever played the same starting eleven twice in all his time at Saints?

I'm assuming you mean same eleven in back-to-back games. He did it 5 times last season with the most recent example being keeping the same team that beat Arsenal 1-0 at home (our last win) which then preceded to lose 2-0 away to Burnley. The previous year he only did it 3 times, though for one of those it was 3 games in a row the starting eleven was left unchanged.

• Like 1

I’ve said it before when we’ve lost games, it’s not the defeat itself that’s a concern, but the fact that over time nothing changes in our style of play.  Attacking build-ups are extremely slow…we don’t push-up fast enough as a team and don’t move the ball fast enough.

It’s simple in a sense (it’s never this easy I know) - if you can’t stop the opposing team from scoring then ensure you’re able to score more. We can do neither. When we do score first, we don’t know how to capitalise on that position via attack…we sit back and hope to soak up the pressure…but then the impetus has gone, the opposition sense this and find composure to put pressure on our weak defence.

Whatever the model is that Ralph and co are attempting to work to, is just not working (hasn’t done for months now) and so the regrettable consequence is a need to change manager in the hope that new coaching ideas and tactics win the day. If SR are really interested in ensuring Prem survival then spending significantly and wisely on at least one, if not two excellent forwards is of imperative importance now. I have grave doubts that we’ll see any of these changes, but of course would love to be proven wrong.

SR dropped a major bollock by keeping Ralph at the end of last season.

That doesn’t mean they have to compound the mistake by being stubborn.  It’s clear that Ralph doesn’t know what he’s doing, and the longer he stays the worse the situation will become.

SR need to admit to themselves that they have made the wrong choice and then do something about it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cloggy saint said:

If Ralph gets the bullet and we get someone new in it will still be shit, just a different kind of shit.

Someone that can come in and realise what our best first XI is in the best formation would be a marked improvement. Ralph has been here 4 years and still hasn't got a clue what it is. Even the 4-2-2-2 or 4-1-4-1 would be better than what we're trying to play now. Pick the formation to suit the players at your disposal, not the other way around where you're shoehorning the likes of Valery in over much better players.

Unless something drastic happens and we sign a CB and striker that instantly improve the team, I can't see Ralph lasting the season. Thomas Frank would definitely be a good appointment but I doubt he'd want to leave Brentford right now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I can't see Ralph lasting the season.

I hope its the month not season, they won't sack him after 1 game but when leeds beat us hopefully then, Brighton even Fulham yesterday looked well coached, we look a f****** shambles, he should've gone at the end of last season , the longer SR leave it the deeper shit we'll be in 

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Our last three starting XI have featured three different formations, using 20 different players and five substitutions yesterday. How many changes should he have made?

I was joking about poo, it wasn't a serious post 😂

6 hours ago, revolution saint said:

I think it would be the new assistant on a caretaker basis and see how it goes. Would imagine when they were looking for assistants they had half an eye on whether they thought whoever was appointed could do the job if and when required.

I always suspected that was the plan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diabolus Ex Machina said:

I'm assuming you mean same eleven in back-to-back games. He did it 5 times last season with the most recent example being keeping the same team that beat Arsenal 1-0 at home (our last win) which then preceded to lose 2-0 away to Burnley. The previous year he only did it 3 times, though for one of those it was 3 games in a row the starting eleven was left unchanged.

Thanks. Yes, that’s what I meant.

6 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I think the most frustrating thing for me was we have changed large parts of the coaching team, many players  the formation and yet we seemingly played exactly the way we have always done. This suggests sadly that it's Ralph who is the problem. Imo he will be gone in a few weeks. 

My hope was that the coaching change would bring in someone who had the courage and ability to "speak truth to power", so that we could keep Ralph's best bits (he certainly has some) and lose his worst bits (square pegs in round holes, and the stubborn refusal to change what everyone else can see isn't working). That's not easy with Ralph because he always seems utterly convinced that he's right, and has a disturbing habit of blaming players - even, now, individual players - for his own failings.

My fear is that his arrogance is so embedded that it's beyond his capability to accept and act on any input that's counter to his own views. That's a terminal failing in most walks of life. He's fast losing the dressing room, and - because word does go around (especially in the agent community) - he's becoming a detriment to player recruitment, not an asset.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Passing thought:

Or

Che wants off because he knows Ralph is a charlatan.

3 hours ago, cloggy saint said:

If Ralph gets the bullet and we get someone new in it will still be shit, just a different kind of shit.

EAsy to talk about Ralph and bullets but no sensible suggestion about who would be available and better

10 hours ago, egg said:

On the topic of Frank, I’ve often said we should consider him if we brought Brentford’s recruitment team. This has been much of his success. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl