Coronavirus Discussion Thread

manina-pub

I was stunned when Hancock tried to shift the blame for lack of PPE onto nurses , doctors and care workers using them when they “didn’t “ need to . It didn’t appear on line in the reports of the briefing but the front line workers are making their voices heard today .

He is still trying to defend his comments today , of all the people to criticise they are the last to pick on .

Globalisation is showing the cracks now , if it’s all made somewhere else you are vulnerable, a bit like the ERG saying poor people will be able to afford food after brexit because UK can import cheap food from around the world that they could Buy , so goodbye British farmers.

...and he had been doing so well. Cracks beginning to show now. Somebody on high has obviously asked him "Why is this still an issue, Hancock"

One can surmise that Mr Hancock had thought that each person only needed one set of PPE. !!!!!!!!!

We could end up with the worst death rate in Europe despite having time to make the necessary plans to dramatically lower the rate of infection.

Interesting that Ireland banned mass gatherings, cancelled St Patrick's Day and went into partial lockdown while our Government were still fudging around deciding what to do.

They test more people per head than us. Where did they get the kits from? How did Germany do the same? Why is South Korea, a more heavily populated country, dealing with this so much better?

Makes me sick that the same people who cheered themselves for voting down a pay rise for nurses are now imploring the country to clap them once a week while simultaneously blaming NHS staff for wearing an extra gown.

Our media isn't coming out of this very well either. Where are the tough questions? The Government should be getting hammered for costing thousands of lives.

There is also a huge amount of research into medicines that can reduce the severity of the symptoms or even cure patients who have contracted the virus. It is a two pronged effort.

Prevention is better than a cure (as they say) but there is no life long immunity with flu vaccines and many thousands die each year from that. A new flu vaccine is developed each year.

We are both over 70 (just) and have the flu vaccine every year. They are tailored to the expected strains of flu but cannot ever be perfect. You can usually get these jabs in you local pharmacist but last autumn they had stocks of the wrong vaccine. Apparently there are different cocktails for the elderly and for the youngsters.

We could end up with the worst death rate in Europe despite having time to make the necessary plans to dramatically lower the rate of infection.

Interesting that Ireland banned mass gatherings, cancelled St Patrick's Day and went into partial lockdown while our Government were still fudging around deciding what to do.

They test more people per head than us. Where did they get the kits from? How did Germany do the same? Why is South Korea, a more heavily populated country, dealing with this so much better?

Makes me sick that the same people who cheered themselves for voting down a pay rise for nurses are now imploring the country to clap them once a week while simultaneously blaming NHS staff for wearing an extra gown.

Our media isn't coming out of this very well either. Where are the tough questions? The Government should be getting hammered for costing thousands of lives.

We will end up with the worst death count in Europe. See this post, and check out the IHME article it refers to. The downplaying of it in this country and the attempts at positivity gives the wrong message.

Our government have been inept and wet. The only message that should have been given pre bank holiday weekend was that our death curve is going up not down, and that's down to the idiots carrying on as normal, that'll it get worse if they carry on, and that the lockdown lite will turn into lockdown plus if they don't sort themselves out this weekend.

We will end up with the worst death count in Europe. See this post, and check out the IHME article it refers to. The downplaying of it in this country and the attempts at positivity gives the wrong message.

Our government have been inept and wet. The only message that should have been given pre bank holiday weekend was that our death curve is going up not down, and that's down to the idiots carrying on as normal, that'll it get worse if they carry on, and that the lockdown lite will turn into lockdown plus if they don't sort themselves out this weekend.

My neighbours had a bbq yesterday. Pretty low key for them, only a couple of mates over. I would estimate at least 30 people have visited my neighbours house in the last 3 weeks. I can't work out if they are sticking two fingers up to the rules or whether they are simply so stupid that they do not understand the risk and the implications for their (collective) behaviour.

My neighbours had a bbq yesterday. Pretty low key for them' date=' only a couple of mates over. I would estimate at least 30 people have visited my neighbours house in the last 3 weeks. I can't work out if they are sticking two fingers up to the rules or whether they are simply so stupid that they do not understand the risk and the implications for their (collective) behaviour.[/quote']

It's utterly crazy but sadly the wet and liberal message has meant that those idiots don't see the reality.

Italy have it bad but have had a proper and enforced lock down, ditto Spain. Add onto that the fact that we have 2/3 of the doctors that they do, and are doing less testing, it's obvious that we'll have more deaths and a much slower return to normality.

If the masses were told that each weekend acting like dicks will add weeks to this way of life it may have had some effect, as sadly too many people see the death risk as minimal so think "sod it, I'll be OK" and crack on as normal.

My neighbours had a bbq yesterday. Pretty low key for them' date=' only a couple of mates over. I would estimate at least 30 people have visited my neighbours house in the last 3 weeks. I can't work out if they are sticking two fingers up to the rules or whether they are simply so stupid that they do not understand the risk and the implications for their (collective) behaviour.[/quote']We have such a half arsed lockdown it is unreal. At the same time, the Queen and others have to contsantly tell us how wonderful we are at trying to stay home and liken this to 1940. Do me a favour!

All we have to do, stay at home and watch telly, not f-ing hard is it.

We have such a half arsed lockdown it is unreal. At the same time, the Queen and others have to contsantly tell us how wonderful we are at trying to stay home and liken this to 1940. Do me a favour!

All we have to do, stay at home and watch telly, not f-ing hard is it.

Absolutely. It's lockdown lite. The wetness was highlighted by the Boris situation. Rather than being told he's OK and a precaution, we should have been told that he's in a bad way and at extra risk cos he's a fat bastard. May have stopped a few people going out for their "essential" cake or ice cream.

Boris’ ‘sing happy birthday’ phase does seem idiotic now. Looks like they were caught with their pants down and were just buying some time whilst they put together something that resembles a plan.

The PPE and testing situation is a disgrace. I always though rule 1 in a pandemic is protect your health workers.

Boris’ ‘sing happy birthday’ phase does seem idiotic now. Looks like they were caught with their pants down and were just buying some time whilst they put together something that resembles a plan.

The PPE and testing situation is a disgrace. I always though rule 1 in a pandemic is protect your health workers.

One of the challenges is staff numbers. If you test everyone and 10% of the staff have it, then they must self isolate for 14 days. Anyone who has come into contact with a positive testee, should also self-isolate. By the Government issued guidelines, testing someone positive in a hospital ward could effectively remove all staff from the ward.

I think we are deliberately avoiding that difficulty.

Not a satisfactory answer for the staff, and not one that anyone in Government is ever going to admit to, but I think this does provide an answer to the question as to why our testing of front line staff has been inadequate.

One of the challenges is staff numbers. If you test everyone and 10% of the staff have it, then they must self isolate for 14 days. Anyone who has come into contact with a positive testee, should also self-isolate. By the Government issued guidelines, testing someone positive in a hospital ward could effectively remove all staff from the ward.

Not a satisfactory answer for the staff, and not one that anyone in Government is ever going to admit to, but I think this does provide an answer to the question as to why our testing of front line staff has been inadequate.

If never looked at it that way, but it makes sense.

Also this nonsense around face masks. They know we should all be wearing them - it's feckin obvious we should be if a cough can carry the virus over 2 supermarket aisles and leave it hanging there, and a facemask would largely stop that - but don't advise us to or make it compulsory because they know the supply isn't there.

Also this nonsense around face masks. They know we should all be wearing them - it's feckin obvious we should be if a cough can carry the virus over 2 supermarket aisles and leave it hanging there, and a facemask would largely stop that - but don't advise us to or make it compulsory because they know the supply isn't there.
Well the WHO don't agree.

Personally I don't think the British public are remotely capable of dealing with advice to wear face masks right now.

Imagine the effing stampede in supermarkets to get them, and far too many people will put one and walk around like they've now got an invulnerababilty cloak. Right now it would jeopardise the fragile controls on behaviour put in place. Try breaking up a group who don't want to be broken up because "we're wearing masks we're fine".

Maybe during the exit period they will become ubiquitous (because supply will increase and Asda will make a fortune flogging them) but right now the best barrier are your four walls.

You are a very strange individual

The election is over, we have left the EU and sadly for you, Boris Johnson is on the mend.

So therefore we can't criticise the government or its ministers at all and everything is the footballers', public's and NHS workers' faults?

I think you're right. You can just see Cummings et al saying we need to take it on the chin and if some NHS workers get it, so what, that's what they're paid to do.

People should basically just do what they are told, face masks or not. We really do have some absolute whoppers in this country.

Driving from London to Devon to go fishing. The same from Kent to Cornwall to go surfing. One guy from Hampshire driving to London with a pot of paint to help his brother paint his flat.

Absolute morons.

I think you're right. You can just see Cummings et al saying we need to take it on the chin and if some NHS workers get it, so what, that's what they're paid to do.

19 NHS staff dead. Boris saying they saved his life, yet his decisions have ended up with them losing their colleagues.

Jacob Rees Mogg's alright though. Sending out messages through his hedge fund about how this is an opportunity for them to make loads of money. FFS.

19 NHS staff dead. Boris saying they saved his life, yet his decisions have ended up with them losing their colleagues.

Jacob Rees Mogg's alright though. Sending out messages through his hedge fund about how this is an opportunity for them to make loads of money. FFS.

how do you know?

So therefore we can't criticise the government or its ministers at all and everything is the footballers', public's and NHS workers' faults?

There is criticising the government and there is continuing the anti-tory/brexit viciousness, that he (and you) clearly display

it is the same stance that makes the daily briefings unwatchable as soon as the journo's get to ask their 'questions'..

Edited by Batman

Yeah, what a ****. Saving money because the council has your property in the wrong band and have been overcharging you.

And this idiot has been screwing banks too, making a big fuss about PPI and also screwing the companies making a buck out of peoples genuine PPI claims.

eer, what else, oh yeah, giving people detailed info to switch services like utilities and mortgages to get a better deal.

Yeah, martin lewis, what a *****

In a sane world, Martin Lewis would get Richard Branson's "Sir", and Branson would pay back all the millions he got by suing the NHS, and the other millions he avoids in tax. Beardy C***.

They may well have contracted CV outside of their line of work.

There is criticising the government and there is continuing the anti-tory/brexit viciousness, that he (and you) clearly display

it is the same stance that makes the daily briefings unwatchable as soon as the journo's get to ask their 'questions'..

His comment was in no way vicious. Dying at work from lack of protective gear is what's vicious. Same as UK troops abroad.

You sound like Trump, all the professional journalists asking "unacceptable" questions at the briefings should be barred.

His comment was in no way vicious. Dying at work from lack of protective gear is what's vicious. Same as UK troops abroad.

You sound like Trump, all the professional journalists asking "unacceptable" questions at the briefings should be barred.

how do you know they are dying at work due to lack of protective gear?

I was stunned when Hancock tried to shift the blame for lack of PPE onto nurses , doctors and care workers using them when they “didn’t “ need to . It didn’t appear on line in the reports of the briefing but the front line workers are making their voices heard today .

He is still trying to defend his comments today , of all the people to criticise they are the last to pick on .

Globalisation is showing the cracks now , if it’s all made somewhere else you are vulnerable, a bit like the ERG saying poor people will be able to afford food after brexit because UK can import cheap food from around the world that they could Buy , so goodbye British farmers.

I disagree with much that you say, but you make an interesting point about globalisation.

how do you know?

Taking into account the fact that his government fannied around for ages, not shutting the country down despite warnings from around the world and massively failed to provide NHS staff with the correct equipment to deal with the virus it doesn't take much of leap to suggest some of the deaths lay at the door of these decisions.

They may have contacted a virus outside of the workplace which has hundreds of infected patients in it whilst the necessary PPE was in criminally short supply?

Bit of a stretch that one.

No one is saying all of them and I should have been clearer. ‘Some’ may have been a more appropriate word. One is too many of course. Especially if it could be prevented.

Taking into account the fact that his government fannied around for ages, not shutting the country down despite warnings from around the world and massively failed to provide NHS staff with the correct equipment to deal with the virus it doesn't take much of leap to suggest some of the deaths lay at the door of these decisions.

You dont know then. thanks

In a sane world, Martin Lewis would get Richard Branson's "Sir", and Branson would pay back all the millions he got by suing the NHS, and the other millions he avoids in tax. Beardy C***.

Well said. Mr Lewis is also giving up a million of his own money to support charities through this difficult time. He managed to increase this fund to 3 million by roping in some other selfless people.

I doubt Branson, Mike Ashley, Phillip Green, Daniel Levy or any other c*nt of that ilk made any donation.

You are a very strange individual “quote”

It will all come out in time. I can't believe that anyone would think that delaying lockdown and not having enough equipment for NHS staff would do anything other than result in a huge number of cases, and therefore more deaths.

Countries who went in early with more stringent measures have far less cases and deaths.

It will all come out in time. I can't believe that anyone would think that delaying lockdown and not having enough equipment for NHS staff would do anything other than result in a huge number of cases, and therefore more deaths.

Countries who went in early with more stringent measures have far less cases and deaths.

delaying the lockdown is a fair point. However, given the lightest of lockdowns we have, remains in place because anyone of influence has to constantly tell the country how wonderful we are, and now journo's are demanding to know when we are coming out (after just 3 weeks). I wonder what stomach the UK would have for a proper lockdown?

then there is the question about the devastation to our economy already. That will kill plenty of people down the line.

timing of a lockdown is absolutely impossible to get right.

The Govt are not making an effort to collate and pass on stats about deaths of NHS staff as it needs the staff to keep on working .

Remember that the Govt have hired a right wing campain advisor from NZ to "get their message across" so what they say in pubic has been carefully thought out to put them in the best light (most of the time) so it is no surprise that how/where NHS staff have been infected has been put in doubt . This message is then repeated on places like here and before you know it black is now white . So NHS staff didn't catch the virus in their hospital and if they did it wasn't because of lack of PPE it is because they used too much PPE so they didn't have enough to protect themselves , then went shopping on the way home and caught it there .

Had we gone into full lockdown earlier you would have been on here whining about unnecessary restrictions on your freedom, how were you supposed to earn a living and how it would damage the economy

For someone who call others strange, it's completely bizarre how, like Hypo etc, you will continuously defend the government no matter what. Weird.

What’s weird is you & others continually moaning about the Government. Give it a rest, it’s a bloody difficult situation & most of the country seem to be behind them.

12d1b097890091fd3b335e18e8bdcec6.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What’s weird is you & others continually moaning about the Government. Give it a rest, it’s a bloody difficult situation & most of the country seem to be behind them.

12d1b097890091fd3b335e18e8bdcec6.jpg

At times of crisis people " rally to the flag" and support the Government. This will change and people will start to question the Government as the death toll rises and (if) the UK registers the highest number of European deaths.

It's perfect possible to call out the government for perceived mistakes without it being laced with political point scoring. I'd be doing exactly the same whoever was in charge.

As for moaning if the lockdown had started earlier, I doubt I would have been. We're talking a week or so earlier, not a month. People were discussing a possible suspension of the Premier League the weekend we played Newcastle but it wasn't until nearly 2 weeks later on 20th March when the pubs shut.

That was obviously the period when the virus began to spread more widely and large scale gatherings were still taking place. It's impossible to know how many less lives would have been lost if it had been done then, but it has to be a significant number.

I just wish the politicians could just be themselves but can see such lack of talent amongst so many they have no confidence to answer just desperate to remember their lines to recite. Depressing.

Yeah we get it isn’t your fault and isn’t a political issue but would have faith if there was some honest opinions not just trotted our lines. Remember to say ‘unprecedented’ and ‘global’

I just wish the politicians could just be themselves but can see such lack of talent amongst so many they have no confidence to answer just desperate to remember their lines to recite. Depressing.

Yeah we get it isn’t your fault and isn’t a political issue but would have faith if there was some honest opinions not just trotted our lines. Remember to say ‘unprecedented’ and ‘global’

Part of the problem is the media that are waiting for a slip up or something they can plaster on the front page. Sometimes you get a good question from a journalist but normally it's something ridiculous like asking for a definite timetable for the lockdown when they know they won't be getting an answer.

Part of the problem is the media that are waiting for a slip up or something they can plaster on the front page. Sometimes you get a good question from a journalist but normally it's something ridiculous like asking for a definite timetable for the lockdown when they know they won't be getting an answer.

The media have been woeful during this whole thing, shockingly poor. The art of proper journalism is being lost.

The media have been woeful during this whole thing, shockingly poor. The art of proper journalism is being lost.

The media have been an utter disgrace. Full of scaremongering, speculation, oh and a bit more scaremongering.

Clearly not enough scaremongering given how many ****s are still flouting the lockdown.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk