Coronavirus Discussion Thread

manina-pub

So they’re suggesting bars and restaurants won’t be open until Christmas at the earliest. You can add sports stadia to that list as well, if true. So is that behind closed doors football or no football until then? By the time we get back to ‘normal’ the football landscape, along with everything else, will look very very different.

So they’re suggesting bars and restaurants won’t be open until Christmas at the earliest. You can add sports stadia to that list as well, if true. So is that behind closed doors football or no football until then? By the time we get back to ‘normal’ the football landscape, along with everything else, will look very very different.
Who is?

Eredivisie is going to be null and void. Dutch government have put a ban on all major sporting events until September, and the Dutch FA can now only really null the season.

Be interesting to see how other governments follow over Europe and what their football associations do...

So either the FA or PL will decide which clubs "on sporting merit" should get Euro places.

That sounds like a load of fun and lots of money for lawyers. Let's play the "guess which teams deserve a place on sporting merit" game.

I'll go first. Man U, Man City unless banned, which I doubt they will be, Liverpool, Chelsea/Arsenal depending on who wins the court case.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

So either the FA or PL will decide which clubs "on sporting merit" should get Euro places.

That sounds like a load of fun and lots of money for lawyers. Let's play the "guess which teams deserve a place on sporting merit" game.

I'll go first. Man U, Man City unless banned, which I doubt they will be, Liverpool, Chelsea/Arsenal depending on who wins the court case.

Why don’t they just have a telephone vote?

I think it will end up as some form of points per game basis. Will still lead to lots of arguments about who has played stronger teams / more games at home.

Will be interesting to see if the Bundesliga can make it work. They estimate it will need at least 20,000 tests as a minimum. By my maths that is only testing every person involved in putting on the match once before every game. Doesn't sound enough for me. Can see it all being postponed again if one team gets players infected and they have to self isolate.

See Nathan Redmond has filmed himself training in a park on Instagram. I'm assuming the person he is with probably isn't member of his household, but I could be wrong...

Why would you assume that? Literally no evidence to suggest either way.

I can see Leicester getting squeezed there........

Re your article (‘Just not true’ we’re too lazy for farm work, say frustrated UK applicants, 20 April), we run a small soft fruit farm in Kent and have had about 700 applications for 50 places. There are a number of reasons we are not taking all UK workers.

Our season runs from May to October, but many UK applicants will go back to their old jobs as soon as they start up again, leaving us with not enough labour to pick the crop.

Guardian Today: the headlines, the analysis, the debate - sent direct to you

Read more

For physical distancing reasons we are minimising the number of people on the campsite, so we only have room for those who have worked for us before, but we are keen to recruit local people and have been in touch with many. In the past we had a high dropout rate with UK workers. I think we all understand that the main reason seasonal work is unattractive is that bills must be paid year-round.

Many people also seem to think that, because we employ foreign workers, we somehow pay less than the legal minimum. All our workers are paid at least the national living wage and some will earn well above that. We would like to be able to pay more, but as labour is at least 50% of our overall costs this would mean a large rise in retail prices for fruit.

Andrew Chesson

Manor Farm, Ightham, Kent

Copied from Guardian letters page .

I think it will end up as some form of points per game basis. Will still lead to lots of arguments about who has played stronger teams / more games at home.

Will be interesting to see if the Bundesliga can make it work. They estimate it will need at least 20,000 tests as a minimum. By my maths that is only testing every person involved in putting on the match once before every game. Doesn't sound enough for me. Can see it all being postponed again if one team gets players infected and they have to self isolate.

Don't think you have to be so severe abut it. If a player tests positive they isolate for 14 days and the rest get tested again and carry on as usual. In a normal season if a player gets flu you don't postpone games.

Don't think you have to be so severe abut it. If a player tests positive they isolate for 14 days and the rest get tested again and carry on as usual. In a normal season if a player gets flu you don't postpone games.

But it isn t flu is it?

Some people fail to understand the difference.

But it isn t flu is it?

Some people fail to understand the difference.

No but the effect on a healthy 20 year old is likely to be the same. As long as they are not in any contact with any vulnerable people and the rest of the team are tested and clear then there is no need to cancel everything IMO.

Coronavirus is not flu but it is also not Ebola. Sooner or later we will have to resume life and just except that some, and eventually most people will get it. The important thing is to shield people who are more likely to be seriously ill - that can be done whilst some young men occasionally kick a ball around a pitch.

No but the effect on a healthy 20 year old is likely to be the same. As long as they are not in any contact with any vulnerable people and the rest of the team are tested and clear then there is no need to cancel everything IMO.

Coronavirus is not flu but it is also not Ebola. Sooner or later we will have to resume life and just except that some, and eventually most people will get it. The important thing is to shield people who are more likely to be seriously ill - that can be done whilst some young men occasionally kick a ball around a pitch.

Trust me it isn’t the same on a 20 year old.

A player from Montpellier is in intensive care as we speak with respiratory issue.

You re going to tell me he would have had those issues with flu?

Re your article (‘Just not true’ we’re too lazy for farm work, say frustrated UK applicants, 20 April), we run a small soft fruit farm in Kent and have had about 700 applications for 50 places. There are a number of reasons we are not taking all UK workers.

Our season runs from May to October, but many UK applicants will go back to their old jobs as soon as they start up again, leaving us with not enough labour to pick the crop.

Guardian Today: the headlines, the analysis, the debate - sent direct to you

Read more

For physical distancing reasons we are minimising the number of people on the campsite, so we only have room for those who have worked for us before, but we are keen to recruit local people and have been in touch with many. In the past we had a high dropout rate with UK workers. I think we all understand that the main reason seasonal work is unattractive is that bills must be paid year-round.

Many people also seem to think that, because we employ foreign workers, we somehow pay less than the legal minimum. All our workers are paid at least the national living wage and some will earn well above that. We would like to be able to pay more, but as labour is at least 50% of our overall costs this would mean a large rise in retail prices for fruit.

Andrew Chesson

Manor Farm, Ightham, Kent

Copied from Guardian letters page .

But was it really Andrew Chesson, or was it Sgt Andrew Chesson, 77th Batallion, Hermitage?

Can't trust nuffink anymore

:shakey:

You're right - no need to self isolate the other players for 14 days if they can be tested instead. May be disruptive though and depends on testing capacity

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52418048

Dutch league abandoned and left as it is. No promotions, relegations, or titles, and current placings used for European qualification.

I'm sure there will be legal challenges, but it seems, on the surface at least, to sidestep UEFA's stipulations that voiding the league would forfeit places, and possibly broadcast revenue for games already played is protected too, as they still happened in effect.

I can see that being widely replicated myself.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52418048

Dutch league abandoned and left as it is. No promotions, relegations, or titles, and current placings used for European qualification.

I'm sure there will be legal challenges, but it seems, on the surface at least, to sidestep UEFA's stipulations that voiding the league would forfeit places, and possibly broadcast revenue for games already played is protected too, as they still happened in effect.

I can see that being widely replicated myself.

It’s clearly the only logical thing left to do. Some things are bigger then finishing a football season and nearly 20,000 dead is one of them. Cancel it and wait to start the new season whenever we can.

It’s clearly the only logical thing left to do. Some things are bigger then finishing a football season and nearly 20,000 dead is one of them. Cancel it and wait to start the new season whenever we can.
This.

Edited by stknowle