Coronavirus Discussion Thread

manina-pub

so what about Winter 2014/15, when the death rate was 35% higher than the 5 year average? No mention in media. The first part of January 2015 (5-11 Jan) saw weekly deaths at 15,000. Way more than the 2,000 weekly deaths we are currently seeing. Again, no mention in media.

Start asking questions people, don't believe the hype, and get this country back open for business before it's too late.

I'm asking questions - where was the PPE for these front line folk at the start?

Without the controls put in place this would have been unmanageable, you cannot say it's an overreaction. This will be a struggle for a long time, no one is denying that, but it was either financial hardship or losing lots and lots of loved ones. I think I know what I'd have chosen out of those two.

We'll get back to normal when it's safe to do so. Don't compare this to 'normal numbers of deaths' - because it isn't, it's been a huge spike and it would have been an even bigger spike had it not been for the interventions.

so what about Winter 2014/15, when the death rate was 35% higher than the 5 year average? No mention in media. The first part of January 2015 (5-11 Jan) saw weekly deaths at 15,000. Way more than the 2,000 weekly deaths we are currently seeing. Again, no mention in media.

Start asking questions people, don't believe the hype, and get this country back open for business before it's too late.

watch sky news at approximately 5pm and see just how tough a lot of the questions are. Today MH had a right grilling as it seems many expect the government to wave a magic wand and cure all ills.

Yes they have and will make conservative errors of judgement but remember the vast majority of their backing comes from the rich not the poor. Some of them even take part in business decisions outside of the Houses of Parliament. They will want to kick start the job force as much as anybody. Every week we have no manufacturing is a week that they will subsidise.

The SAGE advisory group , which the Govt set up to advise it , has no Immunologist , intensive care expert , molecular virologist , nursing leader or expert in delivery of supplies. It has however 2 political advisers Appointed by Boris !

It is no wonder they are floundering. They kept the makeup of SAGE secret and now we know why , all about suppressing information the Govt wouldn’t want us to hear.

NZ and Oz have new infection rates way below us and death rate in NZ is in single figures as they took action inc shutting down travel and those that arrived had to have 14 days quarantine at go return expense.

The SAGE advisory group , which the Govt set up to advise it , has no Immunologist , intensive care expert , molecular virologist , nursing leader or expert in delivery of supplies. It has however 2 political advisers Appointed by Boris !

It is no wonder they are floundering. They kept the makeup of SAGE secret and now we know why , all about suppressing information the Govt wouldn’t want us to hear.

NZ and Oz have new infection rates way below us and death rate in NZ is in single figures as they took action inc shutting down travel and those that arrived had to have 14 days quarantine at go return expense.

New Zealand has a tenth of the UK population in a country with a similar land mass. Australia has little more than a third of the UK population in a country more than 30 times the size of the UK.

New Zealand has a tenth of the UK population in a country with a similar land mass. Australia has little more than a third of the UK population in a country more than 30 times the size of the UK.

If you want to go down that road, South Korea has a similar population to England and Seoul is a much more densely populated city than London.

They've had far fewer deaths.

If you want to go down that road, South Korea has a similar population to England and Seoul is a much more densely populated city than London.

They've had far fewer deaths.

And it is well known that South Korea was more experienced in managing these scenarios due to their experience with SARS. It’s also widely accepted that their rigorous quarantine measures and testing have contributed to their success in controlling Covid19 and not, as your Government hating friend was trying to tell us through shutting down travel. They have done lots that many, if not most countries could learn from, not just the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/20/south-korea-rapid-intrusive-measures-covid-19

Personally, I think the season should be cancelled immediately as I don't see how football can be played safely even behind closed doors. Sorry if it's already been suggested but maybe the only fair way to finish the season if people really insist on it being completed is as follows:

All remaining fixtures in the season, so nine for 16 clubs and ten for the remaining four clubs, i.e. Man City, Sheffield Utd, Arsenal and Aston Villa to be decided by a penalty shoot out. Five penalties each with 3 points for a win and the goals scored and conceded go on the goal difference but also with one point each team if level after 5 spot kicks.

Ideally to reduce travelling as much as possible, this could all be done say over one weekend or even better in one day to reduce teams having to stay somewhere overnight. All 20 teams at somewhere neutral like Wembley while minimising squads to say ten players. Okay that would mean 200 players and a handful of coaches per team but they would only be travelling once rather than every week. If it can be televised all the better but probably not that important given the circumstances.

Social distancing should be possible in a 90000 stadium with say 400 people in the stadium at the most. You don't need loads of officials either.

As I say, this is only a fair suggestion which would greatly reduce any risk with no contact and personally, I'd sooner cancel the season as in the grand scheme of things, football really is not that important at the moment.

Just wanted to highlight the passing of a Saints fan yesterday and bring the realism, that he was all ok just ten days ago and on Saturday he felt he was recovering only to die in he early hours of yesterday.

Turns out this was fake, all sounds very dodgy. Does anyone know the chap?

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/18411018.fundraiser-set-memory-saints-fan-shut-gofundme/

Like many I want the season to finish after all games are played. However I am coming to the conclusion that that is very unlikely to happen/ Far too many people are still dying either directly from the corona virus or indirectly.

A lot of people keep having a go at the government over the deaths of elderly in care homes. Has anybody considered/wondered how these homes became infected? Someone took the virus into the homes. I get that the buck stops at the top but sometimes we can be led up the wrong path to start with.

It could be many months before I am allowed outside my front door and yes it gets damned bloody frustrating. But as much as it pains me I will stay put until told I am free to roam once more. That is if I am able to make it to my car. I was warned last year that it would be years before I given a hip transplant but now I fear I may never get one.

Being a septuagenarian I have had some really good times so what will be will be. Once this pandemic gets sorted we need to concentrate on getting the young back to work.

And it is well known that South Korea was more experienced in managing these scenarios due to their experience with SARS. It’s also widely accepted that their rigorous quarantine measures and testing have contributed to their success in controlling Covid19 and not, as your Government hating friend was trying to tell us through shutting down travel. They have done lots that many, if not most countries could learn from, not just the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/20/south-korea-rapid-intrusive-measures-covid-19

It was not just about travel restrictions there are many factors but you do not want to go on and on. It is a good to see all peoples views on here and it does make me think ! This Govt need to back up announcements with action at the sharp end . I'm not confident that if a different Govt was formed after the election that it would have made a much better job , looking at most countries round the world .

Like many I want the season to finish after all games are played. However I am coming to the conclusion that that is very unlikely to happen/ Far too many people are still dying either directly from the corona virus or indirectly.

A lot of people keep having a go at the government over the deaths of elderly in care homes. Has anybody considered/wondered how these homes became infected? Someone took the virus into the homes. I get that the buck stops at the top but sometimes we can be led up the wrong path to start with.

It could be many months before I am allowed outside my front door and yes it gets damned bloody frustrating. But as much as it pains me I will stay put until told I am free to roam once more. That is if I am able to make it to my car. I was warned last year that it would be years before I given a hip transplant but now I fear I may never get one.

Being a septuagenarian I have had some really good times so what will be will be. Once this pandemic gets sorted we need to concentrate on getting the young back to work.

In many cases the virus was introduced into the homes by patients discharged from hospitals.

BA is just the start. The economy is in free fall and football will be a long way down the pecking order. The FA and PL need to wake up and smell the coffee

The country needs to wake up and smell the coffee in my opinion. Get the country back to work as soon as possible and spend the cash on protecting / isolating the vulnerable more effectively. jesus, the money they have spent on furloughing staff we could have a Caribbean Island and put them on an all inclusive luxury holiday for a year in self contained isolation.

The country needs to wake up and smell the coffee in my opinion. Get the country back to work as soon as possible and spend the cash on protecting / isolating the vulnerable more effectively. jesus, the money they have spent on furloughing staff we could have a Caribbean Island and put them on an all inclusive luxury holiday for a year in self contained isolation.

The reason the lockdown was put in place was because the projections for imposing self isolation on just the most vulnerable was that 250000 would die, with the NHS overwhelmed and unable to treat everyone. We're still nowhere near herd immunity, so going back to that strategy, those projections would still apply.

The reason so many countries were taken by surprise by this is the combination of it being highly infectious, and it being transmissible by people with no symptoms.

It only takes one person who doesn't know they have it, and without social distancing reducing how infectious it is, it will quickly get to everyone.

The costs of that would vastly outweigh the benefit of opening up the economy again.

Would you want to be one of the NHS staff who decides who gets treatment and who gets left to die?

I know that the lockdown is tough. Really tough. We'll be paying for the effects of that and the effects for the virus for a long time. But it really is the least worst option.

How do you explain countries like Greece, population about 11m, but less than 150 deaths......

It's worth remembering at this point, that different countries will have different criteria for counting deaths by COVID-19.

For example, some don't count any with underlying conditions. Some include probable deaths. Some will have far better detection rates than others.

Each country's figures are good for comparing how that country is doing now compared to how it has been doing, but aren't necessarily good for comparing how they're doing compared to other countries.

These articles are quite interesting for people who want to compare what some countries did well against those that didn't...https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-learning-how-to-dance-b8420170203e

The follow up article talks about masks at the beginning - https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-basic-dance-steps-everybody-can-follow-b3d216daa343

Edited by vince

Thank God, someone speaking sense at last. I'm fed up with all the scaremongering

It's worth remembering at this point, that different countries will have different criteria for counting deaths by COVID-19.

For example, some don't count any with underlying conditions. Some include probable deaths. Some will have far better detection rates than others.

Each country's figures are good for comparing how that country is doing now compared to how it has been doing, but aren't necessarily good for comparing how they're doing compared to other countries.

This basically. For example Britain and Germany both have pretty much the same number of confirmed cases, around 160,000. However the UK has nearly 22,000 deaths compared to Germany's 6,000. Given that there's no cure or effective treatment we either have a lot more cases, or the Germans have been more picky on their cause of death.

Plus there are certain social factors, like German having fewer men aged 85 plus - the most at risk group.

This basically. For example Britain and Germany both have pretty much the same number of confirmed cases, around 160,000. However the UK has nearly 22,000 deaths compared to Germany's 6,000. Given that there's no cure or effective treatment we either have a lot more cases, or the Germans have been more picky on their cause of death.

Plus there are certain social factors, like German having fewer men aged 85 plus - the most at risk group.

Given the UK has done significantly fewer tests than Germany, I suspect it has far more cases than reported -and by extension deaths.

Given the UK has done significantly fewer tests than Germany, I suspect it has far more cases than reported -and by extension deaths.

That would be my most likely assumption too. It makes the suggestion that we should have been more relaxed in our approach look ridiculous, I don’t know how people have arrived at the conclusion that we are overreacting to hysteria.

The simple fact is none of us know the true figures.

Does anybody really believe that North Korea has 0 cases?

Is it likely that South Korea shot to 8,000 cases so quickly, but is only reporting 250 deaths?

Can it be true that the complete basket case that is the South Sudan has not seen a single death?

San Marino tops the charts with deaths per 1m population, why are we not asking the good people of San Marino what has gone wrong?

We can wind ourselves up about the stats, or we try to judge the information we are being fed, as best we can.

Forums are good for this as they will offer a counter position to your own, the trick is to not see the counter position as an argument, more as an extra bit of information to process. It will allow you to make a more rounded conclusion (if indeed any conclusion can be drawn today).

My wife works at Southampton General, on a convid ward. They have had some deaths, of course. They also have more than 50% bed capacity on their ward (which is being restricted to covid patients).

There are other wards which are verging on deserted and staff are largely redundant.

We can either applaud this (as a clear indication that the NHS is not being overwhelmed), or we can complain at the amount of public expenditure on a redundant hospital, let alone the economic impact of continued shutdown.

It is all up for debate.

No one is too sure if the millenium bug preparation expence was an excellent investment or there was no real issue that millions of £ and time were an overreaction .

Having spare virus ward beds is probably good in this case . The more you read all the articles about stats from other countries the less clear it all becomes .

Target setting is an overused business tool that has invaded all areas , generally they divert resourses and as things change become redundant but the target is still chased if it is a "performance indicator" as part of a reward scheme or people don't want to lose face.

I love my football and I seriously miss the agony and ecstasy of match day. I would dearly love football to return in a few weeks time but I cannot help but feel the odds are heavily stacked against us.

There are a multitude of factors against a resumption but the biggest, I think, is that it would only take one player to test positive and that would be the end. It would probably lead to the isolation of all whom that player had come into contact with. Sporting integrity would be over. No team can cope with that.

Football stopped as soon as Mikel Arteta tested positive and then a few others followed.

The upside for us, if football continues to be suspended, is that we are safe from relegation. Although we were close to safety, I have been too long a Saints supporter, to think that we were clear. Our recent record had been worse than anyone else. (1 win against Villa and 4 defeats).

Thanks to all those involved on the front line and deepest condolences to any who have lost loved ones.

No one is too sure if the millenium bug preparation expence was an excellent investment or there was no real issue that millions of £ and time were an overreaction .

Having spare virus ward beds is probably good in this case . The more you read all the articles about stats from other countries the less clear it all becomes .

Target setting is an overused business tool that has invaded all areas , generally they divert resourses and as things change become redundant but the target is still chased if it is a "performance indicator" as part of a reward scheme or people don't want to lose face.

Slightly off topic but I was an auditor back in 1999 so worked with a load of firms assessing their Y2K readiness. The only incident that arose across all those firms was at a pension administrator. They built in a new control check on 1 Jan to confirm that all the valuations that had worked perfectly before were not impacted by the new date. Unfortunately the new control check was wrong and deleted all the valuations that had worked perfectly anyway!

The Y2k bug is an interesting one actually, I owned a computer that was affected by the Y2k Bug. The date on my computer went back to 1900.

It's not in question that it needed to be fixed, if that had happened in computers dealing with databases that handled transactions, it would have been catastrophic. Payments wouldn't have gone through, for example, and banks would have had to revert to paper records, because it simply wouldn't have been possible to set the correct date on affected computers. As far as affected computers were concerned, the correct date didn't even exist.

They fixed it because they knew they had to, and the fact that people question whether it needed to be done, because 'nothing happened', is proof of how good a job was done to avert it.

Our preparation for COVID-19 this seems to have just been enough, in terms of critical care beds and ventilators at least. A combination of the lockdown and increasing capacity kept us just ahead of the curve. When you're rapidly increasing capacity like that and you don't know what you're up against, you'll always overshoot the exact numbers you need, and you wouldn't want to have capacity too close to the line because it that would mean you had to rely on luck to get the numbers right.

In terms of PPE, it seems like we had enough, but our logistics was too slow to get up to speed. Partly I guess because our logistic capability was itself hit by COVID-19.

Slightly off topic but I was an auditor back in 1999 so worked with a load of firms assessing their Y2K readiness. The only incident that arose across all those firms was at a pension administrator. They built in a new control check on 1 Jan to confirm that all the valuations that had worked perfectly before were not impacted by the new date. Unfortunately the new control check was wrong and deleted all the valuations that had worked perfectly anyway!

At the time the week before I was due to fly overnight on NYE so I was concerned listening to the doom mongers. I decided to see if there was a problem with my aeroplanes. I changed the date on the computer to January when I was setting it up preflight, surprise, surprise no problem everything worked. I just changed the date back. On the overnight flight no problems. I did the same with my desktop. It was a non event.

The simple fact is none of us know the true figures.

Does anybody really believe that North Korea has 0 cases?

Is it likely that South Korea shot to 8,000 cases so quickly, but is only reporting 250 deaths?

Can it be true that the complete basket case that is the South Sudan has not seen a single death?

San Marino tops the charts with deaths per 1m population, why are we not asking the good people of San Marino what has gone wrong?

We can wind ourselves up about the stats, or we try to judge the information we are being fed, as best we can.

Forums are good for this as they will offer a counter position to your own, the trick is to not see the counter position as an argument, more as an extra bit of information to process. It will allow you to make a more rounded conclusion (if indeed any conclusion can be drawn today).

My wife works at Southampton General, on a convid ward. They have had some deaths, of course. They also have more than 50% bed capacity on their ward (which is being restricted to covid patients).

There are other wards which are verging on deserted and staff are largely redundant.

We can either applaud this (as a clear indication that the NHS is not being overwhelmed), or we can complain at the amount of public expenditure on a redundant hospital, let alone the economic impact of continued shutdown.

It is all up for debate.

It's the same story at both Salisbury & Bournemouth hospitals. I have spoken to people that work there and they say it's never been so quiet. Meanwhile, cancer patients for example, are missing out on vital treatment, in some cases life saving treatment. Elderly people are dying in care homes because they are not getting the treatment they need, nothing to do with the virus. And yet they are recored as covid-19 deaths whether they have been tested or not!! Everyday this ridiculous lockdown continues, will mean more and more lives lost that could be saved. And each day more and more billions are being lost in the business world, it's complete insanity. And all people are talking about is installing a phone app so the government can track what you are up to.

What is really going on here?

It's the same story at both Salisbury & Bournemouth hospitals. I have spoken to people that work there and they say it's never been so quiet. Meanwhile, cancer patients for example, are missing out on vital treatment, in some cases life saving treatment. Elderly people are dying in care homes because they are not getting the treatment they need, nothing to do with the virus. And yet they are recored as covid-19 deaths whether they have been tested or not!! Everyday this ridiculous lockdown continues, will mean more and more lives lost that could be saved. And each day more and more billions are being lost in the business world, it's complete insanity. And all people are talking about is installing a phone app so the government can track what you are up to.

It's not that difficult to understand. They've reserved a certain amount of capacity for COVID-19 patients. Those will not be used for non-COVID-19 patients because it'd be putting them at risk.

Meanwhile, a combination of factors are reducing demand on the rest. Partly, it's that most people are staying at home and so at less risk of needing hospital. Partly it's that people that need treatment are staying at home because they don't want to put extra pressure on the NHS.

What exactly do you expect would happen if the lockdown was lifted?

Ridiculous lockdown go have a read about Germany that eased it now more dying.

Your quote about Care homes is utter rubbish the reason many are dying is due to sending positive patients back. I know a few where the staff are sleeping in to prevent the spread.

My MIL is in one and they are brilliant and getting great care.

You remind me of the chap from Ohio on Twitter who posted the Governor had no right to shut down pubs and restaurants it’s all against constitution people should stay in if scared - he died of Covid19

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dunno.

My guess is an attempt to realign world order into a global technocracy. Tracking and control of movement and expenditures. Cash being removed from society, everything digitally paid for, either via human chip or facial recognition. forced vaccination to enter the job market, and one of the by-products of vaccination will be sterilisation. Not for everyone, maybe 1 in 4 jabs to carry sterlisation. Bring the population down over the next 50-100 years.

Of course, it could just be a very nasty flu pandemic ;-)

We’re trying to contain a deadly pandemic. Wards and hospitals are ‘deserted’ because as many people as possible are being kept away, for two reasons; firstly to ease the load on NHS staff and secondly to keep at risk patients away from Covid-19 hotspots. All the old dears needing hip and knee replacements are being told to stay home and wait.

Or this could all by a plot by evil, multinational corporations to... er.... cripple the evil, multinational corporations.

Not going to make the arbitrary target you set yourself a few weeks ago ? Then just include home testing kits that have been sent out rather than tests done , eureka ! target passed With space to spare .

Your life in their hands ........"

I turned over as soon as he started bigging up what an ambitious target they’d set themselves as it was obvious he was about to manipulate the figures. And to think they’re leading our response to this.

You’ve got to love how this government hits their targets!

“Previously, only instances in which the swab had been processed through a lab were counted as a test.

But the new definition - added on 27 April - included tests "posted to an individual at home".

On 29 April, the definition was extended yet further to also encompass "tests sent to... satellite testing locations".

“Previously, only instances in which the swab had been processed through a lab were counted as a test.

But the new definition - added on 27 April - included tests "posted to an individual at home".

On 29 April, the definition was extended yet further to also encompass "tests sent to... satellite testing locations".

I'm sure it will change further (many times) as the testing capacity changes and/or increases

I'm sure many definitions associated to C19 will look very different in a month's time!

This government? They’re doing the same as any other government, trying to resolve the situation as best they can, whilst trying to put a good public spin on their actions. I don’t know what people expect them to say? "Yeah, we’re a bit sh*t and we’ve made a dog’s dinner of the whole affair." Labour, the Libs or the Raving Loonies would all be doing the same thing, as is every government in Europe.

I'm sure it will change further (many times) as the testing capacity changes and/or increases

I'm sure many definitions associated to C19 will look very different in a month's time!

If you’re trying to accurately illustrate the level of testing surely what qualifies as a test should remain consistent?

If you’re trying to accurately illustrate the level of testing surely what qualifies as a test should remain consistent?
If the metric of testing is purely lab results driven. May as well give up home testing kits that give you results there and then.

Won't count

If the metric of testing is purely lab results driven. May as well give up home testing kits that give you results there and then.

Won't count

Is shoving a test in the post a “completed test” now then?

Surely the results of home tests are logged onto a database somewhere when they are actually done?

Is shoving a test in the post a “completed test” now then?

Surely the results of home tests are logged onto a database somewhere when they are actually done?

I would say it is a safe assumption, given the current climate and demand for tests that 100% of the tests sent out will be returned..

Unless, this is wasted effort?

As for home testing, the end game is one that gives the subject the results almost instantly (like a home pregnancy test) and use of smart technology, in the significantly vast majority of cases.

Which is not far away!

Edited by Batman