Random records that Saints hold

jawillwill

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jawillwill said:

Anyone know what the record is for most Premier League games drawn in a row?

Saints are the current joint record holders for the most consecutive draws in a Premier League season: 7 in 1994-95. Saints are also the current joint holders of the record for the most consecutive draws in Football League history, which is 8. Saints did it in the 2005-06 Championship season. Saints are also the joint record holders for the most draws ever in a Premier League season: 18 in 1994-95.

We hold most of the draw records but there is still one we are currently on course for - the most consecutive 0-0 draws, which is currently held jointly by Arsenal, who've done it twice, Spurs and most recently Wolves (2015-16) with 4. Both Spurs and Arsenal did it with the manager who was the master of scoreless draw football, George Graham.

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 17/11/2021 at 23:18, 31cc said:

I know it's mentioned elsewhere but the most recent one to add to the list; playing against 2 PL teams managed by the same man in successive fixtures.

I might be wrong but I believe Terry Paine was the first [old] 2nd division player to play in the world cup. 1970

37 minutes ago, Tank said:

I might be wrong but I believe Terry Paine was the first [old] 2nd division player to play in the world cup. 1970

He didn't play in the 1970 WC, guess you mean 1966. He never played for England again after the Mexico match in the group stages. He was the first England international wearing the No 7 shirt to score a hat-trick at Wembley (but not the first to score a hat trick for England, that was Sir Stanley Matthews).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

He didn't play in the 1970 WC, guess you mean 1966. He never played for England again after the Mexico match in the group stages. He was the first England international wearing the No 7 shirt to score a hat-trick at Wembley (but not the first to score a hat trick for England, that was Sir Stanley Matthews).

Yow you are right but still that hat trick was worth noting.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Here's something I came across today. Not sure if it's been repeated in English football but as we were specifically singled out I think we hold this distinction

In 2000 we appointed a former England manager. In 2018 we appointed a former Wales manager. In 2001 and 2005 we appointed future Scotland managers. In 1973 we appointed a future Northern Ireland manager.

(Hoddle, Hughes, Strachan, Burley and McMenemy)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure it's probably been posted but we're the only team to have beaten every single club to have won the PL at some stage whilst they're Champions. Extremely unlikely that anyone else will ever do that considering Leicester and Blackburn would both have to win the league again.

On 07/04/2020 at 13:04, The Cat said:

There must be some sort of record with him for being the only player to make his debut as a substitute before being subbed off and never playing again?

The scary thing is he nearly scored with his first touch after coming on as a sub!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We've also equalled our record for consecutive losses tonight, one more game to go before we can tick that record off. 

We're good at this record smashing stuff.

Yep anything other than a win against Everton and Jones will also take Frank De Boers titles as the worst every start to a premier league job. 2 new records in one day. 

Another history making "first" last night .

Singh Gill makes league history

History was made at St Mary's with Bhupinder Singh Gill becoming the first Sikh-Punjabi to serve as an assistant referee at a Premier League match.

The 37-year-old, who qualified as a referee at the age of 14, said earlier that he hoped to inspire the future generation.

"My dream has always been to reach the top of the game, be a role model for future officials and encourage more people from diverse backgrounds into officiating, especially from a South Asian background just like me," he said.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Surely we must have the record for fewest opening day wins each season?  It's looking like we are going to continue that proud record tonight 😭

EDIT: Glad this comment aged well 😅

Edited by Barsiem