Sport Republic

Dusic

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

The only issue with Gao is he hasn't invested, but I can't see why that should stop him being an owner. Sure it would have been great if he invested in the club, but he hasn't been a disaster by any means.

If the fit and proper persons test was taken tomorrow, he'd fail it and his takeover would have been blocked.

On what grounds?

The Prem board barred Gao in February after obtaining evidence he had twice been involved in corruption cases in China, one of which ended with a senior city politician being executed by lethal injection.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3422978/premier-league-blocked-gao-jisheng-200m-southampton/

They changed the test after him

Edited by Convict Colony

2 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

The Prem board barred Gao in February after obtaining evidence he had twice been involved in corruption cases in China, one of which ended with a senior city politician being executed by lethal injection.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3422978/premier-league-blocked-gao-jisheng-200m-southampton/

They changed the test after him

Really not the best source and that article doesn't prove that they would prevent him from owning the club now.

A Chinese businessman, Gao Jisheng, made a move in recent years to take over Southampton FC in a possible £200 million deal. As it turned out, Gao had admitted to bribery offences but escaped charges because he gave evidence for the prosecution in two separate cases. It was actually Gao’s bid for Southampton that prompted the new rule-change to include the ‘conduct outside the UK that would constitute an offence’ ground rule.

https://insidersport.com/2019/02/13/the-unenforced-regulation-in-english-football-ownership/

Come on bro admit defeat

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

That post of mine was in reference to the Sun article and I'm clealry right regarding that statement I made as the Sun article does not prove they would prevent him owning the club.

So I'll ask again... What claim I've made in this thread do you think has been defeated with that link from Insider Sport? 

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

No details and no one I've ever spoken to before but a relative of mine has links to someone very wealthy in Southampton and he's told him there's an American who mixes in similar circles to him who is looking to buy the club and things should move forward now we are safe. Sorry I don't have any more details than that. 

You've got a relative that you've never spoken to before? (I may have misinterpreted that of course!) :)

26 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Really not the best source and that article doesn't prove that they would prevent him from owning the club now.

4 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

That post of mine was in reference to the Sun article and I'm clealry right regarding that statement I made as the Sun article does not prove they would prevent him owning the club.

So I'll ask again... What claim I've made in this thread do you think has been defeated with that link from Insider Sport? 

A Chinese businessman, Gao Jisheng, made a move in recent years to take over Southampton FC in a possible £200 million deal. As it turned out, Gao had admitted to bribery offences but escaped charges because he gave evidence for the prosecution in two separate cases. It was actually Gao’s bid for Southampton that prompted the new rule-change to include the ‘conduct outside the UK that would constitute an offence’ ground rule.

https://insidersport.com/2019/02/13/the-unenforced-regulation-in-english-football-ownership/

Edited by Convict Colony

It was also mentioned in other places Convict, I'm just waiting for MLG to dismiss insidersport as a poor source as well.

But this certainly did happen.

The rules were tightened to stop another Gao taking over a PL club based on professional conduct criteria, sadly just after he'd taken over us.

@Convict Colony

You have got very confused with the context of each of those quotes and what they were responding to!

- The first quote you've used of mine their is regarding the Sun article. My claim was the Sun article 'doesn't prove they would prevent him from owning the club now'. That is undeniably correct as it makes no mention of it.

- The second quote is regarding you thinking the Insider Sport article defeats me saying the Sun article doesn't prove what you claim. That is a compete red herring and is irrelevant. If the second article is evidence he would be prevented, that has no relevance to my claim the first article doesn't.

Edited by Matthew Le God

8 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I haven't done that at all. Show me an example of that.

If I do you'll claim I have misunderstood or misrepresented what you posted. You do it all the time. I will leave others to do their own research and make up their own minds.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

@Convict Colony

You have got very confused with the context of each of those quotes and what they were responding to!

- The first quote you've used of mine their is regarding the Sun article. My claim was the Sun article 'doesn't prove they would prevent him from owning the club now'. That is undeniably correct as it makes no mention of it.

- The second quote is regarding you thinking the Insider Sport article defeats me saying the Sun article doesn't prove what you claim. That is a compete red herring and is irrelevant. If the second article is evidence he would be prevented, that has no relevance to my claim the first article doesn't.

Mate please.

This is the one thread nobody wants to see go to shit.

So please, can you just let it go or this thread is gonna be fucked.

• Like 6

Just now, JustinSFC said:

Mate please.

What he said , please don’t derail another one ☝️ 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Mate please.

This thread has been lacking substance of any kind since it started. The thread has rumbled on for 17 pages without anything credible happening in the public eye.

Edited by Matthew Le God

This thread has been lacking substance of any kind since it started. The thread has rumbled on for 17 pages without anything credible happening in the public eye.

It's not going to have substance because nobody is going to have any idea except Gao and the Semmens / Steele.

All I'm asking is, please can you not fuck this one up.

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

If I was Semmens, I would be straight on the phone to that Spotify fella. Doesn't seem he is going to get very far with Arsenal.

1.8bn bid rejected apparently...could get us for 200m and have a field day!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Nothing to do with Semmens though, it's Gao who'd need to be on the phone.

It is very common for a management team to be looking for investment/new ownership on behalf of the owner, especially if the owner has indicated a wish to divest. I imagine that this is the current scenario.

3 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

I'm distantly related to Benny Hill, doesn't mean I've ever spoken to him.

Benny Hill What GIF

He died 30years ago.

Trouble now that you've revealed that though I will read your posts in a different light, you must have been his inspiration for 'Fred Scuttle'. 

5 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

No details and no one I've ever spoken to before but a relative of mine has links to someone very wealthy in Southampton and he's told him there's an American who mixes in similar circles to him who is looking to buy the club and things should move forward now we are safe. Sorry I don't have any more details than that. 

Hope you're right and it works out well but without wishing to pour scorn on your post, sure it was posted in good faith, but there seem a few too many links in that chain to get excited about it.

3 hours ago, skintsaint said:

1.8bn bid rejected apparently...could get us for 200m and have a field day!

He's a arsenal fan, that's the only reason he wants to buy the club. Why would he be interested in us?.

3 minutes ago, Streaky said:

He's a arsenal fan, that's the only reason he wants to buy the club. Why would he be interested in us?.

Liebherr was not a Saints fan when he bought the club. He became one afterwards.

The vast majority of current Premier League owners were not a fan of their club before their takeovers. 

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Liebherr was not a Saints fan when he bought the club. He became one afterwards.

The vast majority of current Premier League owners were not a fan of their club before their takeovers. 

He has stated he would only invest in football if it were arsenal as he has supported them since he was 9, and is upset with the running of the club. So can't see him as a viable owner for us that's all.

2 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

Just logged on to this thread. Saw there were 2 + unread pages since yesterday. Something exciting must be brewing I thought. Maybe a mega yacht arriving at Southampton?

Then I read all this shit.

I scanned through and thought the ghost of Benny Hill was in negotiations via Ouija board.  

4 hours ago, Badger said:

Hope you're right and it works out well but without wishing to pour scorn on your post, sure it was posted in good faith, but there seem a few too many links in that chain to get excited about it.

I've got no idea if it's true or not but thought some people would find it interesting. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I've got no idea if it's true or not but thought some people would find it interesting. 

Certainly interesting, and worth throwing into the mix on forum, but lets not get our hopes up.

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I find the snippets very interesting. Only real reason I come on here.

It's certainly not for the banter...

Edited by Pamplemousse
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Slowly losing the will to live as I naively check this thread for possible takeover news.

Every time MLG wades in with yet another correction or semantic nitpick I’m reminded of Robin Williams’ superb line in Good Morning Vietnam:

”You’re in more dire need of a blowjob than any white man in history”

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

Re: Hypo's info.

I think as a rule, most early word of mouth in the press seemed to point to American interest... Whether that was DaGrosa or not I'm not sure, but info seemed to point to there being another US group that was close pre-Covid.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

Just logged on to this thread. Saw there were 2 + unread pages since yesterday. Something exciting must be brewing I thought. Maybe a mega yacht arriving at Southampton?

Then I read all this shit.

There is a mega yacht moored in the dockss, came in a few days ago.

Edited by Gingeletiss