Greg Clarke - Racist or PC victim ?

kyle04

So another persons career destroyed for using an "unacceptable" term to describe, er, people form different backgrounds (??).

Having first watched the breaking news thingy at the bottom of the screen, was expecting a Ron Atkinsonesque faux pas. But the term "coloured" which he used is apparently now viewed in the same light as the "N" word, and the term "person of colour" is Ok (is it, I don't know....) . I don't know what was worse, his "resignation" or his cringing appology afterwards.

Perhaps at the end of the Covid updates they can include a diversity update where they can tell us what words we can use and which ones to avoid. Why is “coloured” worse than “black”?  Neither are technically accurate anyway. Why is a person of colour ok and coloured not ok? 

The worst that should have happened is that he should have been sent on a diversity course.

I agree with you guys, clearly PC victim. I mean he correctly states that different races have different career aspirations.That right isn’t it? I mean when you go to London most Afro Caribbean’s work in McDonald’s rather than IT for the FA, which as he states is mostly Asians, therefore it’s clear people from Afro Caribbean descent would  rather work in McDonald’s than IT. Can someone explain why he’s been sacked? And the he previously said footballers coming out as gay is a lifestyle choice...which it probably is..so again..why has he been sacked? And he had previously said institutionalised racism is ‘fluff’..which most people on here I think would agree with. Either we haven’t got our thumb on the pulse of how ‘PC Britain thinks’ or Greg Clarke is a racist...which he isn’t by the way.

5 minutes ago, Jonnyboy said:

Strikes me as a very similar media campaign as waged for years against Jeremy Corbyn, albeit on a 24 hour microscale.

Apart from the repeated denial of ever having done anything wrong and refusing to apologise even after being heavily criticised for it?

15 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

Had to step down for being totally out of touch with society and thus unfit to do the job.

Not especially racist, but his job involves awareness of several subjects.

He displayed none.

‘Not especially racist’ is that a thing? That sounds a bit murky! At what point does ‘Not especially racist’ tip over to racist?..or is it the new ‘I’m not racist but.....’

Personally I'd class what he said as mildly racist.

What scale do you work on?

I just judge that hanging people in trees or burning crosses on the lawn is very racist while muttering about foreigners is at the lower end of the scale.

Ironically racism isn't black and white like offside or over the line -  there are degrees of it.

2 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

Personally I'd class what he said as mildly racist.

What scale do you work on?

I just judge that hanging people in trees or burning crosses on the lawn is very racist while muttering about foreigners is at the lower end of the scale.

Ironically racism isn't black and white like offside or over the line -  there are degrees of it.

I would class hanging people & burning crosses as pathologically racist..& muttering about foreigners as racist. Racist would be my jump off point..& then maybe increasingly levels...my scale wouldn’t drop below racist .But thats just my scale. I mean if I was a foreigner and someone was muttering about me I would think ‘That’s racist’ I wouldn’t be downgrading it.

4 minutes ago, wadesmith said:

I would class hanging people & burning crosses as pathologically racist..& muttering about foreigners as racist. Racist would be my jump off point..& then maybe increasingly levels...my scale wouldn’t drop below racist .But thats just my scale. I mean if I was a foreigner and someone was muttering about me I would think ‘That’s racist’ I wouldn’t be downgrading it.

What if the people they are hanging are racists? Wouldn’t they be vehemently anti-racist?

I love how people think they aren’t one bit racist. 

We don't know that he was forced to resign, he said it was his own choice. Anyway it wasn't just for the term coloured but for the totality of what he said. All mild stuff but together it gives the appearance of a bloke completely out of touch with 2020 and out of step with the organisation he chairs. He is paid a lot to get this stuff right, so time to move on. He will have his choice of directorships to keep the wages coming in, so nothing to worry about.

11 minutes ago, gordonToo said:

Clumsy choice of words maybe but no more than that. 

Certainly was a poor choice as "coloured" is a classification made up by eugenicists and such. But perhaps an apology would have sufficed and he wouldn't have had to fall on his sword. It's not like he repeatedly did it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hockey_saint said:

Apartheid South Africa never referred to anyone as "people of colour".....they were quite partial to the term "coloured" though.

Did the namby-pamby "people of colour" thing even exist in the language of the time in South Africa? It would have been a bit difficult otherwise to use language not in common usage at the time, wouldn't it? I certainly don't recall its usage at the time.

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

They would argue that the term "person of colour" centres the person rather than their colour. In summary it's bollocks. 

So you can use the same two or three words which still reference skin colour in a different order and one is racist and one isn’t. LOL

Edited by Turkish

16 minutes ago, Turkish said:

So you can use the same two or three words which still reference skin colour in a different order and one is racist and one isn’t. LOL

Yes because it doesn't make the word "colour" the subject and they would argue prevents the individual from being defined solely by the colour of their skin. 

38 minutes ago, Turkish said:

People of colour

coloured people 

what’s the difference?

Unless I'm mistaken, "coloured" remains an ethnic group in South Africa to describe coloured people / people of colour. OK over there   racist over here. Ridiculous. 

39 minutes ago, Turkish said:

4 white people On GMB calling for quotas at the FA and men of of colour running the game (their words), surely sexist and racist to say such things? 

Positive discrimination is just as bad as negative discrimination. Give jobs on merit, refuse on lack of merit. 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

People of colour

coloured people 

what’s the difference?

As I say above. one's been used to degrade a people...i.e."no coloureds" which was a sign often used in South Africa and people of colour hasn't got that historic connotation. It's "clean" of such historic negative use.

11 hours ago, rallyboy said:

Had to step down for being totally out of touch with society and thus unfit to do the job.

Not especially racist, but his job involves awareness of several subjects.

He displayed none.

This. What he said wasn't too bad but the point is, it is his job to know what's right and wrong. 

56 minutes ago, aintforever said:

This. What he said wasn't too bad but the point is, it is his job to know what's right and wrong. 

True, He should know what minority groups were called in every single country in the world were called from the minute history began. 

1 hour ago, Hockey_saint said:

As I say above. one's been used to degrade a people...i.e."no coloureds" which was a sign often used in South Africa and people of colour hasn't got that historic connotation. It's "clean" of such historic negative use.

Who gets to dictate to everybody speaking the English language throughout the World what the "correct" terminology should be? Who gave them that right? 

12 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

We don't know that he was forced to resign, he said it was his own choice. Anyway it wasn't just for the term coloured but for the totality of what he said. All mild stuff but together it gives the appearance of a bloke completely out of touch with 2020 and out of step with the organisation he chairs. He is paid a lot to get this stuff right, so time to move on. He will have his choice of directorships to keep the wages coming in, so nothing to worry about.

This.  We live in a soundbite age.  Hear a couple of clips and the reaction is that in isolation this is mild stuff.  But the point is that he demonstrated over the entire interview that he really didn't get it.  And he has previous history of this kind of thing - addressing the same committee in 2017 he described institutional racism as 'fluff'.  For someone paid the kind of salary that the rest of us can only dream of he has to do better and therefore had to go.

I disagree with Tyrone Mings though.  I don't think that the FA should appoint someone black to make a point.  They should appoint the best person, irrespective whether they are black or white, as long as they demonstrate that they understand the issue of racism in the game.

One thing I do find ridiculous about this is the disclaimer on the BBC news story; "Warning: This report contains offensive language."

If you need to be warned that you're about to read a news report, referencing the word, 'coloured' in the third person, I would suggest this planet isn't for you. You need to move back into your parents house and go and sit in your safe space.

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

One thing I do find ridiculous about this is the disclaimer on the BBC news story; "Warning: This report contains offensive language."

If you need to be warned that you're about to read a news report, referencing the word, 'coloured' in the third person, I would suggest this planet isn't for you. You need to move back into your parents house and go and sit in your safe space.

Virtually every story that is reported by the BBC will be bound to upset somebody, somewhere. Why don't they just have one big disclaimer before every news broadcast and get it over with? As somebody who is often upset myself at what the BBC broadcasts, I would watch the news from an alternative mainstream broadcaster, but they are all just as bad as each other with their pathetic pandering to the leftie woke brigade. As a result, their former audiences are deserting them in their droves and finding their source of news elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

I was just coming in here to write that! I read the story and I couldn't find the offensive language as I assumed it was something actually offensive. 

17 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Why is “coloured” worse than “black”?  Neither are technically accurate anyway. Why is a person of colour ok and coloured not ok? 

For dinosaurs like you it must seem hard to fathom. We’re all coloured, white is a colour you know. So some blacks find it offensive when it’s used in the context of black people only. I thought everybody knew it was offensive ( I thought you were in HR) , so I guess some dinosaurs like yourself & Clarke aren’t up to date with these sort of things.

Clarke deserved the sack, anyone who goes in front of Parliament knowing they’d be asked about these issues and isn’t fully briefed, prepared  and aware of the language required is an incompetent fool undeserving of his role. 

5 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I see Mongs is already putting the pressure on to replace him with someone darker skinned. 

Please tell me this is just a typo, and you haven't deliberately used a horrendously ignorant and inappropriate term on a thread discussing a public figure using ignorant and inappropriate language. 

27 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Please tell me this is just a typo, and you haven't deliberately used a horrendously ignorant and inappropriate term on a thread discussing a public figure using ignorant and inappropriate language. 

It was a typo but absolutely hilarious that you've gone all faux outraged over it. Stop being such a mong. 

16 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It was a typo but absolutely hilarious that you've gone all faux outraged over it. Stop being such a mong. 

Sheaf Saints, formerly Bexy i believe is one of my favourite posters hypo, you leave him/her/it alone. Sheaf is slightly more aggressive than many other posters in displaying  his/her/their outrage at any perceived breach of political correctness. He/She/It is a master of self righteous outrage whilst lacking the arrogance and condescending nature of Verbal, the poorly disguised desperation to be seen a lovely chap who is anti racist like aintforever but is however slightly more articulate than the increasingly erratic behaviour of Soggy, who appears to constantly be unclear what it is he's waving his fist in the sky against. One thing you can be sure of with Sheaf though is you are never far away from a short, angrily worded post should any attempt to display outrage present themselves. 

Edited by Turkish

47 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Yes, he meant Mings, Tyrone Mings is leading the calls for person of colour to be appointed. Stand down Sheaf you'll give yourself a heart attack,

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8935411/Tyrone-Mings-insists-represent-huge-step-FA-appoint-black-chairman.html

11 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I wasn't outraged, I was just asking the question. But this time you have used it deliberately, without the slightest awareness of what a c*nt it makes you look, on this of all threads. 

Please educate yourself on the origin of the term so you can understand how inappropriate it is. 

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I wasn't outraged, I was just asking the question. But this time you have used it deliberately, without the slightest awareness of what a c*nt it makes you look, on this of all threads. 

Please educate yourself on the origin of the term so you can understand how inappropriate it is. 

Why does he need to it? It was a typo, he meant Mings. You're very angry Bexy, every thing okay mate?

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

True, He should know what minority groups were called in every single country in the world were called from the minute history began. 

He was representing his organisation at a Parliamentary Committee being specifically questioned on diversity - and you don't think he should have an understanding of what might offend people. :lol:

You are like the SWF champion for the ignorant as fuck.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, aintforever said:

He was representing his organisation at a Parliamentary Committee being specifically questioned on diversity - and you don't think he should have an understanding of what might offend people. :lol:

You are like the SWF champion for the ignorant as fuck.  

What's offensive about what he said? Please explain.