Danny Ings

sisi1992

38 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Yeah because the club would never talk utter bullcrap until season ticket deadline day to con fans.
image.png.a4945ab8ff68321bb53aa71fee3161b7.png

The windows opens July 1st. Players will always leave on and after that date, because they cant before. Are you saying the the club should not sell and do promotion for season tickets until after the summer transfer window closes? Or should they sell the players earlier? What if players are sold in January, is the club still conning fans when they don't say something back in May?

If your ST purchase depends on Saints keeping our star players then maybe you are supporting the wrong club. Check our history and where we are in the pyramid. We sell players, simple as.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chez said:

The windows opens July 1st. Players will always leave on and after that date, because they cant before. Are you saying the the club should not sell and do promotion for season tickets until after the summer transfer window closes? Or should they sell the players earlier? What if players are sold in January, is the club still conning fans when they don't say something back in May?

If your ST purchase depends on Saints keeping our star players then maybe you are supporting the wrong club. Check our history and where we are in the pyramid. We sell players, simple as.

Agree , The window to purchase with reduction is 19th July so we tend to get in early at least one.

Can anyone show me where buying a ST is compulsory and if you haven’t learnt lesson by now then you will never ever will!

We will never compete with top 6 financially so get used to us selling and buying cheap.

it’s our DNA 🙂

Edited by Give it to Ron

2 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Anyone really surprised,if true?

we would’ve invested heavily in him…..despite the fact he’s still has big question marks over his durability during a season. 
interesting to see who takes a punt on him. 
bit of a gamble for a club and for him in my view. 

Edited by saint lard

8 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Anyone really surprised,if true?

we would’ve invested heavily in him…..despite the fact he’s still has big question marks over his durability during a season. 
interesting to see who takes a punt on him. 
bit of a gamble for a club and for him in my view. 

No surprise at all. I did think he just might look at his fitness situation and go with what would have been 4 years security on big money come what may but obviously not.

It will be interesting not so much who comes in for him but the offer on the table. I think Saints might make him run down his contract personally unless it’s too big an offer to refuse. We will see. If they think he will enhance their chances of staying in the Premier League considerably then it’s a no brainer really.

Edited by beatlesaint

2 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I’m not sure it’s really anything new.  Pretty much where it’s been for a while.

I guess the difference might be now that he has formally said he won't sign a new deal, whereas before he hadn't signed but was still on the table. 

At least it's early enough in the window for us to sort a replacement. Would probably explain the increased interest in Armstrong. Not a chance I can see us letting him leave on a free.

I do find it slightly odd - he had tested himself at a higher level, that's why he ended up at Saints. At his age I'd rather become a legend at my boyhood team then constantly chase a higher paycheque, but then I'm not a professional footballer.

If it's all true I'd cash in now - it's clear that we can't afford to let him leave on a free next season unless we have a new owner willing to invest, and that money to purchase a replacement is going to be more valuable then his potential goals this season

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Christophenburg said:

I do find it slightly odd - he had tested himself at a higher level, that's why he ended up at Saints. At his age I'd rather become a legend at my boyhood team then constantly chase a higher paycheque, but then I'm not a professional footballer.

If it's all true I'd cash in now - it's clear that we can't afford to let him leave on a free next season unless we have a new owner willing to invest, and that money to purchase a replacement is going to be more valuable then his potential goals this season

He failed at Liverpool due to injuries, not due to being not good enough. He probably feels, fairly enough, now he's got the injuries under control he has one last chance to have a pop at winning a starting spot in a big side and winning something. I think it's very reasonable, if a bit shit for us.

5 minutes ago, Christophenburg said:

Yeah, this "test himself at a higher level" thing is bollocks. What he's saying is he wants to play for one of the top six that qualify for the Champions League or Europa League every season. Ok, so if none of those come in for him will he change his mind and stay or will he head off to a mid table club who "have ambition". I think we know the answer. 

Edited by beatlesaint

Fuck him, if he wants to turn down the club that gave him a chance when others wrote him off so be it.

I’d have thought a long term high wage deal would have been tempting for a player that’s had two ACL ruptures previously as well as 4 separate injuries last season. 

Sell high and reinvest…

• Like 3

Will really show the ambition of the club if we sell to a West Ham / Villa type. Bigger clubs but ones we should be looking to compete with, we’ll never be able to do so if we sell them our best and only player capable of competing at that level. 

I know for a fact Leicester we’re interested along with a couple of other big clubs. Although It seems Leicester have opted for Daka instead though. 

I think a lot rests on Kane. If / where he moves will determine where Ings ends up. I’m sticking my money on Tottenham still. 

Will need to spend big on a replacement, Armstrong isn’t going to cut it as a main man. Relying on Armstrong and Adams next season will be a disaster. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SKD said:

Will need to spend big on a replacement, Armstrong isn’t going to cut it as a main man. Relying on Armstrong and Adams next season will be a disaster. 

Based on what? He got 29 goals in the championship last season, one more than Watkins when he came up, and he's doing great.

4 minutes ago, saintrich said:

Was hoping the links to Armstrong were in addition to Ings staying so would need two strikers certainly. Armstrong and Edouard? 

If we don't have Ings making something out of nothing we need chance creation. Armstrong or Edouard and a quality attacking mid (Danjuma/Peirera/Brais Mendes)

4 minutes ago, saintrich said:

Was hoping the links to Armstrong were in addition to Ings staying so would need two strikers certainly. Armstrong and Edouard? 

Very deflating news, given Ralph and Semmens seemed so confident he'd stay.    Yes, two strikers like Armstrong and Edouard are needed - huge loss is Ings.

1 minute ago, austsaint said:

Very deflating news, given Ralph and Semmens seemed so confident he'd stay.   

I know its a long shot but maybe they are so confident because they have already agreed as a club that he will have to run down his contract UNLESS they get a mega bucks offer. I suppose if two or three clubs want him badly enough that may happen......but  they will probably get mugged off by Tottenham for peanuts 😡

1 minute ago, beatlesaint said:

I know its a long shot but maybe they are so confident because they have already agreed as a club that he will have to run down his contract UNLESS they get a mega bucks offer. I suppose if two or three clubs want him badly enough that may happen......but  they will probably get mugged off by Tottenham for peanuts 😡

Can't see it at all - imagine we let him run his contract down on the basis his goals are not worth the fee. Then he gets injured for several months, which let's be honest isn't against the realms of possibility. Would be a complete waste of money.

Plus, if he is running his contract down, do you think (with his injury problems) he'll be busting a gut for the last few months of the season? Not a chance. Not a sleight on Ings, but anyone would do the same knowing they won't be here. 

If he's made his choice, sell him to the highest bidder and move on.

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

How have you come to that conclusion?

By watching football. There’s Massive step up in the quality between the championship and Premier league, as shown by Adams. 

We needed another striker to complement both of our current strikers as it is. It now looks like we’re going to lose our stand out player and replace him with someone significantly worse and still need another striker. 

Slowly but surely we’re building a championship team. I guess that’ll put us in good stead when we finally drop. 

4 minutes ago, SKD said:

By watching football. There’s Massive step up in the quality between the championship and Premier league, as shown by Adams. 

We needed another striker to complement both of our current strikers as it is. It now looks like we’re going to lose our stand out player and replace him with someone significantly worse and still need another striker. 

Slowly but surely we’re building a championship team. I guess that’ll put us in good stead when we finally drop. 

How are we building a championship team we only have one championship striker signed so far?

Just now, Give it to Ron said:

How are we building a championship team we only have one championship striker signed so far?

A team full of championship level players, I meant. Not specifically signed from the championship. 

I was hoping Armstrong would be the 3rd striker we desperately need. Keep Ings for another year and let him / Adams adapt and grow into the league. 

Let’s hope if / when Ings goes, we can get a decent size budget for a replacement. Eduroud would be my choice. 

• Like 1

Did anyone honestly think he was going to sign a new deal?  Even if he wanted to stay and could earn a great wage, the club can't afford to sign anyone that will do anything to stop us dwelling in the bottom half for the foreseeable and he's probably fed up of kicking off over 100 times a season.

4 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Armstrong and Tammy Abraham would be my fairly sensible acquisitions to bolster the attack in my view. 

Abraham would be £40m+ and £100k+ a week.

Be realistic. We're shopping in Londis not Harrods. The only reason we haven't yet been priced out of a deal for a lower Championship striker is because his contract is running out.

13 minutes ago, SKD said:

How much of Armstrong have you seen to write him off being able to perform next season in the Premier League?

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

How much of Armstrong have you seen to write him off being able to perform next season in the Premier League?

I’ve seen enough of us to know that without Ings, the last 2 seasons would have been a disaster and that Armstrong is nowhere near Ings level. 

He may get the odd goal, like adams, but we simply cannot rely on them both to score enough goals to keep us up and we’re not exactly stacked with creativity and flare in midfield to compensate. 

I’ve no issue with Armstrong, I like the look of him and I’m not saying he won’t perform. A combination of Ings (or of similar ilk), adams and Armstrong would be fine. Replacing Ings with Armstrong is a massive downgrade. 

Just now, SKD said:

I’ve seen enough of us to know that without Ings, the last 2 seasons would have been a disaster and that Armstrong is nowhere near Ings level. 

He may get the odd goal, like adams, but we simply cannot rely on them both to score enough goals to keep us up and we’re not exactly stacked with creativity and flare in midfield to compensate. 

I’ve no issue with Armstrong, I like the look of him and I’m not saying he won’t perform. A combination of Ings (or of similar ilk), adams and Armstrong would be fine. Replacing Ings with Armstrong is a massive downgrade. 

On what is you assessment of Armstrong based? 

We've stayed up in the past with our top scorer being Austin, waddling around tapping in 6/7 a season. If Adams and (hypothetically) Armstrong can both hit double figures we'll be fine in that regard. We mainly need to defend and concentrate better.

• Like 4

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

On what is you assessment of Armstrong based? 

Clearly he is not at Ings level. Saying nowhere near though is a bit much. The truth is no one knows yet because he has not played in the PL yet. A better question maybe is he better than Ings was at the same age? 

Armstrong and Adams as our front line is not automatically going to make most fans confident of survival. Add Ongs in and great. Remove him and I agree with @SKDthat we probably need another striker but not necessarily the real high quality he suggests but I'd welcome one. We won't get the quality he hopes for though because I suspect the standard is in tbe wage category out of our reach, even if we chose to spend 30-40m. 

We will buy 4 or 5 more players who are in the 10-20m (mostly lower half of that range) this summer. 

It doesn't mean we will go down but I do not think we will scale the height of top 6 like we did last season for a bit. 

I look forward to seeing how good Armstrong is...🤞🤞🤞

2 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

So Ings missed how many games last season? 
How many strikers that we can afford are Ings level? How long did that take to get to that level?

Have you seen Armstrong live? 

Exactly my point. He’s not yet ready to be the main man in replacing Ings. He may get there in the future, but it’s not good for him as much as it’s not good for us for him to be thrown in at the deep end and expecting enough goals to keep us up (baring in mind Ings goals / contribution has effectively kept us up last 2 seasons).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

He is being touted at 40m how is that a good shout unless on a wind up?

11 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Abraham would be £40m+ and £100k+ a week.

Be realistic. We're shopping in Londis not Harrods. The only reason we haven't yet been priced out of a deal for a lower Championship striker is because his contract is running out.

Let’s see who else we may ship out to raise funds and save on wages. 
there is still Lemina,Vestagaard,JWP being touted to leave and I suspect others on the periphery that may well still depart. 
accumulative savings may amount to being able to fill an extremely vital position. 
it’s early….don’t write anything off. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SKD said:

Exactly my point. He’s not yet ready to be the main man in replacing Ings. He may get there in the future, but it’s not good for him as much as it’s not good for us for him to be thrown in at the deep end and expecting enough goals to keep us up (baring in mind Ings goals / contribution has effectively kept us up last 2 seasons).

So how are we building a championship side? Is Perraud a championship player?

Having balanced attack from both sides may create more goals for our Championship attack not just via KWP?

If we keep Ings for that extra year see out contract what if cruciate goes again and we are stuck? His injury record last season wasn’t great and alongside Championship players will only get worse?

I would love him to sign again but he wants away don’t blame him last big pay day .

• Lighthouse changed the title to Danny Ings