Danny Ings

sisi1992

59 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

There will clearly be other championship options for him. Given his links to the area I could see why he would prefer here than Leeds for example. I'm not sure what it would be that would mean we are his last resort. It can't have been that terrible last time. 

He literally left last time, citing ambition. He also didn’t come back last time he moved. We’re now in the Championship and in no position to satisfy any ambition or make up for it in terms of cash. It’s not happening and I find it actually baffling anyone even entertains these really easy rumours to start. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

He literally left last time, citing ambition. He also didn’t come back last time he moved. We’re now in the Championship and in no position to satisfy any ambition or make up for it in terms of cash. It’s not happening and I find it actually baffling anyone even entertains these really easy rumours to start. 

I would suggest that the situation is rather different when he's three years older and has spent three years sitting on a bench. If your stance is that any championship club is not ambitious enough for him (even on loan till the end of the season) then it will be interesting to see if he goes anywhere near the championship won't it. I'm not saying it will happen, but it's hardly some outlandish flight of fancy that has no realistic chance of being true. Perfectly conceivable that someone like ings would take playing regularly at the top of the championship over warming the bench of a Premier league team. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I would suggest that the situation is rather different when he's three years older and has spent three years sitting on a bench. If your stance is that any championship club is not ambitious enough for him (even on loan till the end of the season) then it will be interesting to see if he goes anywhere near the championship won't it. I'm not saying it will happen, but it's hardly some outlandish flight of fancy that has no realistic chance of being true. Perfectly conceivable that someone like ings would take playing regularly at the top of the championship over warming the bench of a Premier league team. 

This is not my stance. My stance is we weren't ambitious enough for him when we were at our best and he was leading that, so why anyone thinks he'll come back as some sort of "rather be here than anywhere else" thought is beyond me. He'll go where he's paid somewhere close to what he's on and he can offset that with an interesting challenge. Or somewhere boring but pays him enough to get over it. We're not going to do either of that. Leeds or Leicester might, no idea, don't know much about their ethos or business plan, but I've seen nothing to suggest we're in the business of offering anywhere near 100k a week to anyone who is over 30 now we're in the Championship.

Edited by Fabrice29

7 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

This is not my stance. My stance is we weren't ambitious enough for him when we were at our best and he was leading that, so why anyone thinks he'll come back as some sort of "rather be here than anywhere else" thought is beyond me. He'll go where he's paid somewhere close to what he's on and he can offset that with an interesting challenge. Or somewhere boring but pays him enough to get over it. We're not going to do either of that. Leeds or Leicester might, no idea, don't know much about their ethos or business plan, but I've seen nothing to suggest we're in the business of offering anywhere near 100k a week to anyone who is over 30 now we're in the Championship.

I don't think any championship team will offer him 100k a week. Far more likely to come on loan with his wages subsidised. That being the case, I'd say we had as much of a chance as someone like Leeds, probably mire give his links here. This may all be moot of course as we may not want him but it's not as outlandish an idea as you claim. Circumstances are very different from 3 years ago as I outlined. 

10 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I don't think any championship team will offer him 100k a week. Far more likely to come on loan with his wages subsidised. That being the case, I'd say we had as much of a chance as someone like Leeds, probably mire give his links here. This may all be moot of course as we may not want him but it's not as outlandish an idea as you claim. Circumstances are very different from 3 years ago as I outlined. 

Alright, good luck with all of that.  

7 hours ago, Dman said:

I hate to break it to you, but if he was banging in goals in the PL, he wouldn't be linked with a varity of championship teams... on loan. 

I'm not in favour of brining him back - not because of his ability, but because he couldn't wait to leave and doesn't want to come back. We'd be 'last' resort. However, you could have said the as you have about ings, as you would have AA and he's done alright. 

Ings is clearly a cut above anyone else in the championship. 

Have you seen him play recently? I'm not sure he's quite what you remember him to be - certainly didn't look to me like he'd be a cut above anyone else in the championship the last few times I've seen him play.

58 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Have you seen him play recently? I'm not sure he's quite what you remember him to be - certainly didn't look to me like he'd be a cut above anyone else in the championship the last few times I've seen him play.

Let's be honest it's pretty hard to tell isn't it. Armstrong looked turd in the prem but is doing a job in the league below. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Let's be honest it's pretty hard to tell isn't it. Armstrong looked turd in the prem but is doing a job in the league below. 

Agreed it is difficult to tell and hence why I think him being a cut above is a bold claim. I honestly thought Adams would be too good at this level and he's been pretty dreadful so far this season.

25 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Bednarek, Bazunu, both Armstrongs, Aribo, they hardly pulled up any trees last season.

Ryan Fraser was shit in the Prem.

Ings would be an unbelievable signing for any Championship team.

He would. 

But he won't be coming. Can we stop with this? 

He's much more likely to go on loan to Burnley, Luton, Sheffield United, Bournemouth or Wolves. They'd all jump at the chance. 

50 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

He would. 

But he won't be coming. Can we stop with this? 

He's much more likely to go on loan to Burnley, Luton, Sheffield United, Bournemouth or Wolves. They'd all jump at the chance. 

There's every chance that he would he prefer a promotion push over a relegation fight. 

Let's see what happens, but I think this rumour has legs. 

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

Ings would be an unbelievable signing for any Championship team.

Cardiff fans probably said the same thing about Rickie Lambert. He scored four goals. I get that people are willing to take a punt on him but ‘unbelievable’? I don’t think so.

9 hours ago, Dman said:

Because I know him and I know how desperate he was to get out. This whole 'hes a saints fan' persona was a load of bollox. 

I know a lot of people who know Danny and I've never heard that he was desperate to get out. More "quite keen" kinda thing. But you're right, he was never a Saints fan. It was a total myth. Well he may have been as a very young child but the club released him in a brutal way when he was a teenager and he did not support us from then on. I don't really remember him supporting anyone tbh, I seem to remember he was more of a general football fan.

16 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I find it odd that some consider this rumour to be so laughably unlikely. I totally understand why someone would think it's not going to happen, but it's not something absurd or anything. 

Agree. It's odds against, I'd say. But not by much. He can't get a game in the Prem. Ain't likely to get many. Is lingering around on the bench. And one of the richest teams in the Championship are desperately short in the No 9 role. In a sane world, it might come together...

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Cardiff fans probably said the same thing about Rickie Lambert. He scored four goals. I get that people are willing to take a punt on him but ‘unbelievable’? I don’t think so.

Rickie Lambert got a move to another Prem side after leaving Liverpool and before signing for Cardiff, to West Brom. He didn't perform there so dropped a league. 

Ings will find another Prem team interested in him before having to drop down a division. 

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Rickie Lambert got a move to another Prem side after leaving Liverpool and before signing for Cardiff, to West Brom. He didn't perform there so dropped a league. 

Ings will find another Prem team interested in him before having to drop down a division. 

Yeah, maybe. Burnley might be an option. But he is onto his 2nd Prem team post-Saints and it isn't panning out. You'd think he'd move or go on loan in January and we must be one of 3 or 4 teams who might want to get him.

9 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

What do you mean? That's literally what he's already done. Villa sold him to West Ham, for less than half what they paid for him, and he hasn't managed to turn it on at either club.

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

What do you mean? That's literally what he's already done. Villa sold him to West Ham, for less than half what they paid for him, and he hasn't managed to turn it on at either club.

Slight difference is that Rickie was 34, and clearly past his best, when he signed for Cardiff.

Ings is only 31 (a year younger than Rickie was when he left us for Liverpool).

I'd love to have him back, could make all the difference in the playoffs.

• Like 1