Danny Ings

sisi1992

1 hour ago, HarvSFC said:

We aren't getting any better than Ings in January in the Championship

This likelihood probably trumps any other reasoning (in my humble opinion). Yes, Ings wouldn't be the 'perfect' signing but there's no such thing in the January transfer window for a club in the Championship. Ings on loan for half a season seems like a reasonable risk to me. 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, trousers said:

This likelihood probably trumps any other reasoning (in my humble opinion). Yes, Ings wouldn't be the 'perfect' signing but there's no such thing in the January transfer window for a club in the Championship. Ings on loan for half a season seems like a reasonable risk to me. 

This makes perfect sense 

• Like 2

I think Ings is a great deal. His key attribute is knowing where the goal is and how to score! His family home and links may also appeal to his family . He would be great and allow Mcdrogba more time to recover and get truly fit. Bring him home…again

Edited by It's There
Sp
  • Like 5

The thing is, this would need to be tied up ideally by the first week the window opens. Not the usual Saints way of waiting until the last day of the window before making any moves. I know its probably dependent on Adams moving, but I would have thought both us and him would now by now if there are interested parties or not. 

28 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

The thing is, this would need to be tied up ideally by the first week the window opens. Not the usual Saints way of waiting until the last day of the window before making any moves. I know its probably dependent on Adams moving, but I would have thought both us and him would now by now if there are interested parties or not. 

Given that we'll need West Ham to subsidise his wages, there will be every incentive for them to drag it out and sweat a bigger % from us

22 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Given that we'll need West Ham to subsidise his wages, there will be every incentive for them to drag it out and sweat a bigger % from us

Whilst I wouldn't want to see KWP go in the opposite direction, if there's a degree of inevitablity that KWP will leave in January, and if West Ham are his most likely suitors, then I would venture that we would hold the upper hand in any negotiatons IF we want Ings... 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Rather in our team than Leeds or Ipswich

Good point... If there's a degree of certainty that West Ham want to offload Ings in the January window then a top team in the Championship is probably his most likley destination. 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

Not sure why anyone seems to think our club would sign somebody they didn't deem affordable last time this all came up now we are in Championship. Unless he's suddenly happy to waive half his wages it's not happening and good luck to him and whichever club decides to stump up the wages. Easy work for the agent to feed this into circulation though. 

15 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Not sure why anyone seems to think our club would sign somebody they didn't deem affordable last time this all came up now we are in Championship. Unless he's suddenly happy to waive half his wages it's not happening and good luck to him and whichever club decides to stump up the wages. Easy work for the agent to feed this into circulation though. 

As he gets older his chances of pulling in top wages decrease. He's no spring chicken so has to consider what's offered and I doubt it'll be the wages he's used to. Assuming it's a loan then West Ham will need to subsidise his wages if they want to off load him.

3 minutes ago, saintant said:

As he gets older his chances of pulling in top wages decrease. He's no spring chicken so has to consider what's offered and I doubt it'll be the wages he's used to. Assuming it's a loan then West Ham will need to subsidise his wages if they want to off load him.

Guess it will also come down to how much he wants to play. If he's content just collecting money for sitting on the West Ham bench he may just stay.

• Sad 1

If he’s fit then it’s a no brainer. Imagine what he could do in and around the box with the extra time and space in the championship. 

There was a bitter taste when he left but he’ll always be a hero for the goals at Fratton Park. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, saintant said:

Orrrr.... his agent gets to work early in December and starts convincing desperate fanbases and subsequently recruitment teams, managers and chairman that not only is his man available but he's also the goal scorer he once was still and therefore the answer to all their prayers and as such wages should be of no object. 

Like I said, if he finds a club willing to pay him, good luck to him. If he doesn't, I suspect he'll just stick it out a bit longer on the wages he's on. The idea of him taking a significant pay cut to play for a Championship club he was quite happy to leave a few years ago when he could just earn the 100k plus he's earning now for another few months, seems very low down on the realistic ladder to me. Slightly higher than the idea of West Ham subsidising his wages to play for someone else for no sell on profit though, so there is hope.

That's also even before we discuss the merits of the club, who is desperate to be seen at the forefront of giving young players a chance when they aren't getting it elsewhere, suddenly deciding to chuck a whole load of weekly cash at someone 30 plus. 

But anyway, lets have a few more pages of chat about it, then when he signs for Everton, Burnley, someone in Saudi, Turkey, another desperate moneybags team or just hangs around at West Ham, we can all blame the club because it was a no brainer!!

Edited by Fabrice29

2 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Orrrr.... his agent gets to work early in December and starts convincing desperate fanbases and subsequently recruitment teams, managers and chairman that not only is his man available but he's also the goal scorer he once was still and therefore the answer to all their prayers and as such wages should be of no object. 

Like I said, if he finds a club willing to pay him, good luck to him. If he doesn't, I suspect he'll just stick it out a bit longer on the wages he's on. The idea of him taking a significant pay cut to play for a Championship club he was quite happy to leave a few years ago when he could just earn the 100k plus he's earning now for another few months, seems very low down on the realistic ladder to me. Slightly higher than the idea of West Ham subsidising his wages to play for someone else for no sell on profit though, so there is hope.

That's also even before we discuss the merits of the club, who is desperate to be seen at the forefront of giving young players a chance when they aren't getting it elsewhere, suddenly deciding to chuck a whole load of weekly cash at someone 30 plus. 

But anyway, lets have a few more pages of chat about it, then when he signs for Everton, Burnley, someone in Saudi, Turkey, another desperate moneybags team or just hangs around at West Ham, we can all blame the club because it was a no brainer!!

so, you remain to be convinced then 😆

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I cannot believe there is a serious intention of bringing Ings back here. To do what exactly? Arrest the development of Mara and Alcaraz by denying them pitch time?

Ings at the expense of losing KWP, no effing way.

Do we ever learn?

To score goals exactly .       Mara can go on loan and Alcaraz best position is behind the striker .

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I cannot believe there is a serious intention of bringing Ings back here. To do what exactly? Arrest the development of Mara and Alcaraz by denying them pitch time?

Ings at the expense of losing KWP, no effing way.

Do we ever learn?

Remind me how many goals Mara and Alcaraz have scored this season

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If you look at it another way - if there is a £1m loan fee and we cover £100k a week with an obligation to buy if we go up then you are looking at £3m.

i can see that appealing to all parties. 

Given there is £100m plus on offer then that doesn’t actually seem like too much of a gamble - it’s probably less of a gamble than finding a younger £5m striker and hoping he can do it. Plus by season end you would hope Stewart and Mara would be in a better place if we don’t go up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hodgey said:

If you look at it another way - if there is a £1m loan fee and we cover £100k a week with an obligation to buy if we go up then you are looking at £3m.

i can see that appealing to all parties. 

Given there is £100m plus on offer then that doesn’t actually seem like too much of a gamble - it’s probably less of a gamble than finding a younger £5m striker and hoping he can do it. Plus by season end you would hope Stewart and Mara would be in a better place if we don’t go up.

We’re not going to be offering any player half of £100kpw in the Championship, let alone one with as dubious a fitness record as Ings. Also, I wouldn’t be hoping for anything from Mara or Stewart at all TBH.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

We’re not going to be offering any player half of £100kpw in the Championship, let alone one with as dubious a fitness record as Ings. Also, I wouldn’t be hoping for anything from Mara or Stewart at all TBH.

Not sure about that. £50kpw is hardly unheard of in this division. I’d be happy for Ings to be our best paid player - that is probably £80kpw or so on a loan deal to end of season.

52 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

Not sure about that. £50kpw is hardly unheard of in this division. I’d be happy for Ings to be our best paid player - that is probably £80kpw or so on a loan deal to end of season.

It pretty much is for a new signing who wasn’t relegated with the team originally. You may well be happy with Ings on £80kpw but the rest of the dressing room and our accountants won’t be. That’s triple the wages of the highest earner at about 18 of the 23 clubs in this league.

• Like 1

Anybody that has doubts should go back and watch some of ings goals again .. he has tons of finishes outside the box. Can curl fifa finesse type shots into the corner .. and he has great instinct and composure to boot .. 

when we resigned Theo he had lost most of his pace,, still didn’t do bad in the end .. but ings main assets are more about the finishing and instincts I see no reason why this wouldn’t work out just cos he’s pretty much lost his place in a good West Ham side 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, SaintBobby said:

And it was suggested the championship is a fair(er) league

2 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Anybody that has doubts should go back and watch some of ings goals again .. he has tons of finishes outside the box. Can curl fifa finesse type shots into the corner .. and he has great instinct and composure to boot .. 

when we resigned Theo he had lost most of his pace,, still didn’t do bad in the end .. but ings main assets are more about the finishing and instincts I see no reason why this wouldn’t work out just cos he’s pretty much lost his place in a good West Ham side 

Nobody is doubting Ings finishing ability, it's his fitness and motivation to come here which is the problem. And yes, Theo DID do bad in the end, he was pretty much terrible for about 90% of his time here. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Are we talking about the same Danny Ings who hasn't scored this season in 10, scored 2 in 17 last year, 7 in 20 for villa the year before and 7 in 30 the year before that?

The guy is a million miles away from being as good as he was for us in 2019/20.

How many of those recent games has he started? 

@Charlie Wayman   Alcaraz has started 12 games this season, that is not on the bench most the time

Edited by waylander
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, gammon cheeks said:

To score goals exactly .       Mara can go on loan and Alcaraz best position is behind the striker .

I admire your optimism but be real man, he isn't going to be any more effective in our system than Adams. This will be an unnecessary disruption to our progress that we simply don't need

• Confused 3

12 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Are we talking about the same Danny Ings who hasn't scored this season in 10, scored 2 in 17 last year, 7 in 20 for villa the year before and 7 in 30 the year before that?

The guy is a million miles away from being as good as he was for us in 2019/20.

I hate to break it to you, but if he was banging in goals in the PL, he wouldn't be linked with a varity of championship teams... on loan. 

I'm not in favour of brining him back - not because of his ability, but because he couldn't wait to leave and doesn't want to come back. We'd be 'last' resort. However, you could have said the as you have about ings, as you would have AA and he's done alright. 

Ings is clearly a cut above anyone else in the championship. 

1 minute ago, redkeith said:

It wouldn't surprise me if he has moved his family back to Hampshire, only to take a move to Saudi for his pension.  

If he's moved his family back here, I'd suggest he's almost certainly not coming back here. He enjoys keeping his private life private or having a place available to himself.. if you catch my drift..... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dman said:

I hate to break it to you, but if he was banging in goals in the PL, he wouldn't be linked with a varity of championship teams... on loan. 

I'm not in favour of brining him back - not because of his ability, but because he couldn't wait to leave and doesn't want to come back. We'd be 'last' resort. However, you could have said the as you have about ings, as you would have AA and he's done alright. 

Ings is clearly a cut above anyone else in the championship. 

How do you know he doesn't want to come back? 

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Suppose we will see if he does entertain the idea of a return then. 

As I've said, if he comes back its because there are no better options - not because he has a burning desire to return to the homeland. 

Just now, Dman said:

As I've said, if he comes back its because there are no better options - not because he has a burning desire to return to the homeland. 

There will clearly be other championship options for him. Given his links to the area I could see why he would prefer here than Leeds for example. I'm not sure what it would be that would mean we are his last resort. It can't have been that terrible last time. 

Could certainly see Ings coming back for half a season, but all depends whether Martin and Wilcox want him I suppose.  Regardless with Adams likely on his way think there is a good chance we will bring in two forwards in this window, one of the Aberdeen lads (Miovski or Duk) and an attacking midfielder.