Danny Ings

sisi1992

51 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Weve known the Ings situation since last Oct/Nov/Dec  and nothing has changed.

Hes doing exactly the same as when he shafted Burnley. 

I mean….he’s well in his right to not sign a new contract…just like the club is within its right to get rid of players whose contract expires, 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I mean….he’s well in his right to not sign a new contract…just like the club is within its right to get rid of players whose contract expires, 

True, but he should also have been upfront with the club rather than play them and continue to do so. 

Especially as he will know his importance to us and that we don’t have a pot to piss in to replace him. 

Edited by SKD

10 minutes ago, SKD said:

Because all reports suggest the club are hopeful he’ll sign 😂

Either deceived or stupid 

I think there is a difference between internally believing something, and external marketing of the press.

I'm sure he has been pretty open and honest, it certainly sounds like he has been.  It's been in the press since last year, that if one of the big boys came in he would want to test himself at the highest level.

16 hours ago, Dusic said:

All points towards a fiasco IMO as Ings holds all the power and the club are left in a very reactive position.

For me it will either be:

1. He leaves near the end of the window for a top club once they have hit dead ends with their top targets and Saints realise we cannot afford to let him run his contract down and leave for free. Saints position it that we already signed his replacement in Armstrong, who at the time of his signing was briefed to Blackmore et al as definitely not being an Ings replacement.

2. He leaves in January for an even more cut price to a 2nd tier PL side like Villa or Everton once he realises that none of the top boys are goijg to move for him. Last chance at a run for the WC squad with a club not battlingnat the wrong end. Saints realise we cannot afford to let him run his contract down and leave for free. Saints position it that we already signed his replacement in Armstrong, who at the time of his signing was briefed to Blackmore et al as definitely not being an Ings replacement.

This is probably Ings’s agent’s perspective but I don’t see it as so cut and dried if Saints are proactive here and there is no risk free option for any party. Get the Adam Armstrong deal over the line first of all - club are bound to say it’s not a straight replacement to keep options open and not drive the price for Ings down.

If he doesn’t come down top 4’s lists towards the end of the window then the player has a problem - he could leave in Jan for a cut price fee but you’ve overlooked his injury history. Probably no takers at all if ACL/MCL number 3 happened and no contract. He’s clearly the best player at the club but a 4 year deal at £100k per week plus is a huge gamble in his late 20s. If the interest fades and there’s no big injuries to top 4 striker line ups in the autumn that creates an opening, he may have to look at Villa/Everton/W Ham as Leicester look well stacked on the striker front and not sure he is a Spurs or Arsenal signing. Saints may finish higher with AA, CA and DI alternating up front leading to £10m extra maybe in prize money which covers some of the lost fee plus other players gain value as part of a team getting better results.

Ideally, one of the CL clubs bids £30m for him and he goes but risk/reward for them too. 

He'll sign if no other club comes in for him lol. Cake and eat it comes to mind.

Give him a deadline and if he doesnt sign withdraw the offer. His old contract will still be valid for a season and the club will sav some money. He will stil have to give his all to ge others to keep their interest once his contract runs down. Im tired of the players power

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

This is probably Ings’s agent’s perspective but I don’t see it as so cut and dried if Saints are proactive here and there is no risk free option for any party. Get the Adam Armstrong deal over the line first of all - club are bound to say it’s not a straight replacement to keep options open and not drive the price for Ings down.

If he doesn’t come down top 4’s lists towards the end of the window then the player has a problem - he could leave in Jan for a cut price fee but you’ve overlooked his injury history. Probably no takers at all if ACL/MCL number 3 happened and no contract. He’s clearly the best player at the club but a 4 year deal at £100k per week plus is a huge gamble in his late 20s. If the interest fades and there’s no big injuries to top 4 striker line ups in the autumn that creates an opening, he may have to look at Villa/Everton/W Ham as Leicester look well stacked on the striker front and not sure he is a Spurs or Arsenal signing. Saints may finish higher with AA, CA and DI alternating up front leading to £10m extra maybe in prize money which covers some of the lost fee plus other players gain value as part of a team getting better results.

Ideally, one of the CL clubs bids £30m for him and he goes but risk/reward for them too. 

I think we're forgetting Nathan Tella as another option up front as well. Personally I think he has got a big future at this club. 

24 minutes ago, Saint Keef said:

I think we're forgetting Nathan Tella as another option up front as well. Personally I think he has got a big future at this club. 

I like him as a player as well. Personally I think he may become more of a winger/striker in the Theo mode especially away from home, or just behind a striker, rather than an out and out striker but his composure may come on next season. Certainly hope so. 

Edited by saint1977
  • Like 1

On 05/07/2021 at 17:09, Chez said:

we get him and his goals for another season, but when he goes the following summer on a free, financially its a shit show. 

Question. If he was going this summer on a free (instead of next), who realistically would we sign as his replacement? 

That's not comparing like for like though is it?  If he leaves next Summer then we won't be spending c.£12m on a LB in that window and it's fair to assume that keeping a striker of his level will be worth around 5 places in the league which is worth about another £12m.  So we would have pretty much the same to spend on a replacement then as now.

55 minutes ago, once_bitterne said:

That's not comparing like for like though is it?  If he leaves next Summer then we won't be spending c.£12m on a LB in that window and it's fair to assume that keeping a striker of his level will be worth around 5 places in the league which is worth about another £12m.  So we would have pretty much the same to spend on a replacement then as now.

Fair point. Kicking the can down the road has its merits.

However, we might not need a left back, but its hard to say what we will need next summer . A new keeper possibly (as both are out of contract), two CBs may be out of contract, the full back position will still be light, another striker may be needed (as the `reserve' strikers are all out of contract next summer - its not all bad news), Romeu enters the last year of his contract...

With the dire form shown after xmas, I fear for us a little with Ings' goals. Without him....

3 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

He certainly impressed whenever I saw him, giving us that much needed pace and willingness to try a few things to unlock a defence. It didn't always work, but we need guys that are willing to gamble now and then. Too much play it safe and keep the ball having made it into the final third. The manager needs to encourage our attackers to dribble, take people on, be more direct, not offload when in one on one situations. Tella could be a real star. I wonder if the manager will throw caution to the wind and start him right from the get go next season, or will he continue to ease him in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Fair point. Kicking the can down the road has its merits.

However, we might not need a left back, but its hard to say what we will need next summer . A new keeper possibly (as both are out of contract), two CBs may be out of contract, the full back position will still be light, another striker may be needed (as the `reserve' strikers are all out of contract next summer - its not all bad news), Romeu enters the last year of his contract...

With the dire form shown after xmas, I fear for us a little with Ings' goals. Without him....

I agree.  But giving it an extra year gives us more time to recover from the legacy/hangover of the Reed error as we rid ourselves of more of his donkey sanctuary of Lemina, Elywotsit and the huge contract absurdly given to FF.

Edited by once_bitterne

4 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Pepe saying City are being priced out the market so may not bring in a striker. Ings would do them for a couple of years as wouldn't be playing every game and wouldn't break their bank.

Yeah that was my thought.  Hopefully they're lowing their fans expectations in order to bring in Danny.

• Haha 1

If Ings doesn't want to be here then let him sod off and the quicker the better, otherwise, he will be a distraction all season. How can we build a side for the future that includes a player who will not be part of it. For my money players are either in or out but not both.

I'll pay for the taxi.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

If Ings doesn't want to be here then let him sod off and the quicker the better, otherwise, he will be a distraction all season. How can we build a side for the future that includes a player who will not be part of it. For my money players are either in or out but not both.

I'll pay for the taxi.

I totally agree with this. if he stays and runs down his contract, I doubt that he would want to risk serous injury without the security of a long term contract. Bertrand and Hojbjerg are good examples of what can happen if you let key players run down their contracts. Their performances dropped.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I'll pay for the taxi.

Ings has got a contract until June 2022 so he's got a right to stay until then if he wants to.  The club have also got the right to accept an offer, but up till now none have come in so there is nowhere for him to 'sod off' to.

You appear to have a very poor grasp of how football player contracts and transfers work, but it is very generous of you to pay for a taxi for a multi millionaire who can probably afford it himself.

• Like 1

On 05/07/2021 at 16:44, Matthew Le God said:

Were you upset with the club signing Diallo, Salisu and Walker-Peters in the last summer transfer window?

Fairly irrelevant- KWP turned out to be an excellent signing (but was already known to us).

If anything mentioning the other two screws your own argument - neither of those have hit the ground running or held down a place.

If we replace Ings with "raw potential, not quite ready for the first team, let them adapt" on the scale of those two, then we're in trouble next season.

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I'll pay for the taxi.

This, though grateful to ings in providing the goals that mean we aren't already playing in the championship! 

On 05/07/2021 at 23:27, Saints4Prem said:

Just my opinion I think Danny Ings is happy at Saints but if a Champions League side come in for him he would take the opportunity to play at that level. The publicity of the refusal to sign a big deal maybe works two ways 1. He is inviting offers from the top four 2. If he does leave the club can say they tried their very best to keep him. With his injury record I cannot see him not signing a long term contract with us or a Champions league side. If he got badly injured during the last year he would lack the security of a contract in the future. I hope Man City get Kane, United have Sancho, Chelsea don't need him and Liverpoo go out of business (wishful thinking not very bitter about Van Dick). So my hope is that he is here at the end of the transfer window and then signs the contract with us for his own security. 

I will go with my previous post I am concerned Man City may entice him but he's given us goals and we should get a return so I would not begrudge him going to a Champions League side. I just hope the Armstrong deal is close and lets see what Ralph can do with some new players and now a few donkeys have gone.

On 07/07/2021 at 16:01, Chez said:

He certainly impressed whenever I saw him, giving us that much needed pace and willingness to try a few things to unlock a defence. It didn't always work, but we need guys that are willing to gamble now and then. Too much play it safe and keep the ball having made it into the final third. The manager needs to encourage our attackers to dribble, take people on, be more direct, not offload when in one on one situations. Tella could be a real star. I wonder if the manager will throw caution to the wind and start him right from the get go next season, or will he continue to ease him in.

Agree, I think that’s where a lot of criticism of Redmond comes from. He appears to have all the thrusting qualities of Sterling but all too often cuts back and plays the safe pass. Unsure if it’s intended as per orders but it is frustrating. I wonder if it’s innate in him or whether he would be a revelation if unleashed.

4 hours ago, Antrimsaint said:

Agree, I think that’s where a lot of criticism of Redmond comes from. He appears to have all the thrusting qualities of Sterling but all too often cuts back and plays the safe pass. Unsure if it’s intended as per orders but it is frustrating. I wonder if it’s innate in him or whether he would be a revelation if unleashed.

Redmond can beat a player all ends up in a very similar way to Sterling. He obviously doesn't have Sterling's pace, and as many on here have pointed out, that is part of the reason he doesn't drive forward as he knows he will be caught. He knows his limitations in that regard, so stops and looks for the pass. That is understandable, if frustrating. For me, its not those situations that worries me. You don't want him gojng up bling alleys and being caught by a faster opponent. But when we work the ball to our opponents third, the directive to all the wingers should be to take responsibility and attempt to beat that man.

I don't think Ralph instructs this. He wants us to recycle, probe and pass until an opening comes. Perhaps he does that because understands the limitations of the likes of Redmond. Maybe he's not holding him back, maybe he knows that is all he can do. With Tella perhaps the instruction will change, although I'm not sure, as we've not seen him get Djenepo taking players on either.

Armstrong seems comfortable taking people on, even Theo too.  I too have sat frustrated at Redmond's blind-alley runs, but for all the possession we often have in the opponents final third, I'd rather this season we take more risks and have a go, than constantly search for the perfect opportunity, often in vain.  If we are to continue to play Redmond on the left, we should encourage him to go for it, IMO.  

We have a few good poachers now, particularly Ings (presuming he stays).  If we take more chances, even if they don't immediately come off, I can see us mopping up some rebounds, deflections and panicky attempted clearances.  

16 minutes ago, Wimborne_saint said:

It was reported in the Athletic last week that he had his heart set on the 'top table' in response to rumoured interest from Villa, West Ham and Tottenham. Personally think Spurs is the best offer he's going to get though..

He isn't going to be turning down a move to Spurs. Nobody in our squad would.

He will obviously go this summer, no chance we would or should let his contract run down and lose him for free.

Hopefully it gets done soon and Saints can move on to securing a replacement, rather than it dragging on for ages.

Edited by Dusic

27 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

£30 million for them. Or £20 million plus Tanganga and Winks. 😜

Need to get Armstrong ASAP as these rumours won't go away.

Make it £40m if we're going to get lumped with Winks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If Ings is thinking of leaving for SPurs etc the best thing for us is that he sorts it soonest so that we are not scrabbling at the end trying to find a replacement. One thing is for sure is that Spurs will get him for a song as that what Levy does to us.

Just now, Pilchards said:

100% Kane is leaving Spurs.

Always thought Ings would end up at Spurs and if we get good money for him then brilliant.

It would be good to get a fit striker in for the price plus another midfielder.

Spot the obvious contradiction in your theory

1 hour ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Thought he had no interest in going to a team like Spurs, Blackmore?

Fkin hell he hasn’t gone there yet, it’s a paper headline which contains little fact given Kane won’t be there next season yet you want to have a pop at Adam Blackmore ? 

🤣🤣

Edited by beatlesaint

I can see Ings leaving for Spurs too - payrise, fancy stadium, will be competing in the top half of the table as opposed to the like bottom 6 scrap we will be in, and will get better service from the players they have.

I can also see Vestegaard joining them too. 

Frustrating, but it's what happens when you get players in the final years of their contract. I really wish it is something we did more often i.e. look for players in the final year of their contract - Adam Armstrong this season is nice but can't remember us doing it to other smaller teams in the football chain. 

• Like 1

If he could build a good partnership with Kane, then that would help his wants for an England World Cup squad spot too.

BUT, with 100 odd managers turning down Spurs this summer, hopefully players start doing it too. Or, managers were doing it because Levy was telling them they'd have to use the cheap market, like Ings. 🙁

• Lighthouse changed the title to Danny Ings