Danny Ings

sisi1992

Sell. All the ability in the world is pretty useless to us if he obviously doesn't want to be here. 

We're going to need everyone putting themselves on the line week in week out if we're going to scrape our way to survival again.

There's already enough mental weakness in the squad (two 9-0s, the most points dropped from winning positions in the league) without having our number nine going through the motions waiting for his big move.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Sell. All the ability in the world is pretty useless to us if he obviously doesn't want to be here. 

We're going to need everyone putting themselves on the line week in week out if we're going to scrape our way to survival again.

There's already enough mental weakness in the squad (two 9-0s, the most points dropped from winning positions in the league) without having our number nine going through the motions waiting for his big move.

Trouble is, I see us desperately struggling without Ings' goals.  I see us struggling anyway TBH.  Ok, Ings goes and we get Armstrong in.  The chances of Armstrong producing what Ings could is such a big gamble.  I know by Ings staying another season (or half of it) we're just kicking the problem down the road but without him I fear for us...

20 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

He isn't going to be going through the motions if he has any ambition to go to the World Cup next year.

58 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

He isn't going to be going through the motions if he has any ambition to go to the World Cup next year.

His England chances have gone unless there’s a spate of injuries.

i can very much see him going through the motions in the 2nd half of the season, given an injury then would screw him.

35 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

His England chances have gone unless there’s a spate of injuries.

i can very much see him going through the motions in the 2nd half of the season, given an injury then would screw him.

If he has another season like 2019/20, which isn't beyond the realms of possibilities then he'd have a chance.

If he stays he also has the incentive of playing well to attract the best Bosman transfer he can get. Plus he is a Saints fan so is probably unlikely to drop tools completely even if he wants a big move.

Edited by Matthew Le God

31 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

If he has another season like 2019/20, which isn't beyond the realms of possibilities then he'd have a chance.

If he stays he also has the incentive of playing well to attract the best Bosman transfer he can get. Plus he is a Saints fan so is probably unlikely to drop tools completely even if he wants a big move.

He didn’t even make the enlarged England squad, which means he probably has to leapfrog 4 people, with an England manager who is more interested in younger players. It’s a long shot, dependent on lots of factors coinciding.

I don’t really buy the home town boy stuff meaning much.  If that was true he’d have signed the massive long term contract. At the end of the day he’s a professional looking out for himself.(which is fair enough it’s his career)

the big threat to his bosman move is injury in the 2nd half of the season, especially if he’s done ok in first half. So it’s only natural he’ll coast somewhat.

If one of the really big clubs wanted him, I think they'd of got it done by now. City wanted him, they would just get it done. 

For me, I can't see past Spurs, and their tactic will be to leave it late and then make an offer that will be almost painful for us to accept. We have said the right things, like there is no reason to sell, but when push comes to shove, it will be incredibly tough from a business standpoint to turn down £20m of income. 

I certainly wouldn't suggest he wont put the effort in should he not get the move, but mark my words, Ings will want to go this summer. If you don't want to sign a contract, you've made your mind up that you deserve a bigger stage and thus every day you are not at that big club is a day wasted.  

As above, if he's aiming for a bosman he's got far more to lose by going 100% and getting injured than by coasting and only getting £150k a week from West Ham or Villa rather than Spurs or Leicester. If he's free and fit, someone is going to take him, because he's a proven goal scorer. Form is temporary n'all that.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chez said:

I wondered how players in their last year of their contract (that their existing club wanted to keep) performed. Steve McManaman for example at Liverpool? 

Wijnaldum had a storming season for Liverpool last season. That was the final year of his contract. Ended rather well for him - one of the best players at the Euros and a deal with PSG. 

No reason whatsoever why Ings won't have a great season for us. 

31 minutes ago, Chez said:

If one of the really big clubs wanted him, I think they'd of got it done by now. City wanted him, they would just get it done. 

Have you considered he could be on their list of targets, but lower down so they will wait and see if they can get 1st choice targets? You don't buy back up targets early in the window before seeing if Kane, Haaland etc can be signed first. Still 5+ weeks left.

14 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Have you considered he could be on their list of targets, but lower down so they will wait and see if they can get 1st choice targets? You don't buy back up targets early in the window before seeing if Kane, Haaland etc can be signed first. Still 5+ weeks left.

f City cant get the likes of Kane or Haaland (the world's top strikers), I don't believe they will settle for xth choice Ings. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, egg said:

Wijnaldum had a storming season for Liverpool last season. That was the final year of his contract. Ended rather well for him - one of the best players at the Euros and a deal with PSG. 

I thought his levels dropped a little from the season before, but I try to avoid watching too much Liverpool, so may be way off the mark.

I agree though, Ings will give his all if he doesnt get the move he wants this summer.

1 hour ago, egg said:

Wijnaldum didn’t have a good season for Liverpool.

he did have a good euros but then by then he was sorted.

Just now, Baird of the land said:

Wijnaldum didn’t have a good season for Liverpool.

he did have a good euros but then by then he was sorted.

He had a great season. Played 51 games, including in every league game. Sure, he didn't score many as he was played deeper, but he was a massive part of the team. He stood out more for his country as he was playing off the centre forward. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

For me, I can't see past Spurs, and their tactic will be to leave it late and then make an offer that will be almost painful for us to accept. We have said the right things, like there is no reason to sell, but when push comes to shove, it will be incredibly tough from a business standpoint to turn down £20m of income. 

I certainly wouldn't suggest he wont put the effort in should he not get the move, but mark my words, Ings will want to go this summer. If you don't want to sign a contract, you've made your mind up that you deserve a bigger stage and thus every day you are not at that big club is a day wasted.  

I think clubs are monitoring him, but he's just not their first choice in my opinion. They'll see how the market shifts, look at what happens with the likes of Kane, Halland, maybe Mbappe etc and then see where they are.

If Ings goes it will be right at the back end of the window when clubs are clear on player availability, and that could be dangerous for us. We could refuse it and potentially upset Ings, or we could accept it and have absolutely no time to replace.

Ideally we get in someone like Armstrong whilst Ings is still here...then we have that safety net. But who knows if that's possible without a sale first.

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think clubs are monitoring him, but he's just not their first choice in my opinion. They'll see how the market shifts, look at what happens with the likes of Kane, Halland, maybe Mbappe etc and then see where they are.

If Ings goes it will be right at the back end of the window when clubs are clear on player availability, and that could be dangerous for us. We could refuse it and potentially upset Ings, or we could accept it and have absolutely no time to replace.

Ideally we get in someone like Armstrong whilst Ings is still here...then we have that safety net. But who knows if that's possible without a sale first.

This surely ought to be what the club's financial loan is for. If Ings leaves now or next summer, or even if he signs a new contract, we're going to need to sign a striker at some stage, so let's do it now. It's also an investment in that we may well get a transfer fee for him in the future if he's any good.

23 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

He played pretty much every game for Liverpool, but in a side that fell quite significantly from the standards of the previous season. 

Yeah exactly this. He was a shadow of the player from the previous 2 seasons, though to be fair many of liverpool’s Players weren’t of the same level.

31 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Thats why I think we will end up keeping Obafemi as we really needed an extra striker even of Ings stayed, but obviously we will only get Armstrong if Ings goes.

Tella is clearly considered a striker, so I reckon we will end up with Adams, Armstrong, Tella and Obafemi with Walcott an additional forward option.

A struggle ahead as we are poor at keeping goals out and are set to lose our main proven goalscorer, replacing likely with someone totally unproven at PL level.

Edited by Dusic

17 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Thats why I think we will end up keeping Obafemi as we really needed an extra striker even of Ings stayed, but obviously we will only get Armstrong if Ings goes.

Tella is clearly considered a striker, so I reckon we will end up with Adams, Armstrong, Tella and Obafemi with Walcott an additional forward option.

A struggle ahead as we are poor at keeping goals out and are set to lose our main proven goalscorer, replacing likely with someone totally unproven at PL level.

Ings is becoming a liability, if he stays he is likely to have injuries, play half a season and leave for nothing. But no big club shows any sign of wanting to pay now when they can have him for free in twelve months. So we haven't got the cash to buy a replacement. The Club is stymied, the players have all the power.

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I just don't buy it that Man City have a long list of strikers and will just keep going down it till they get one. They will have a very short list. They get one of those or they stick with Jesus. I don't think Ings is on that short list.  These guys are looking to be European and world champions. Ings can play, but he ain't in the same conversation as Mbappe.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dellman said:

Ings is becoming a liability, if he stays he is likely to have injuries, play half a season and leave for nothing. But no big club shows any sign of wanting to pay now when they can have him for free in twelve months. So we haven't got the cash to buy a replacement. The Club is stymied, the players have all the power.

Liability? Behave. He's an asset. We either get a fee or we get a quality player for oe more season.

• Like 5

I think Ings will be here until the end of his contract.

If we received an offer of £25m I’d take it as we’d have recouped the transfer fee we paid for him.

If he moves it won’t be until the end of the window when the striker merry-go-round has finished, and that said it hasn’t even started yet.

7 hours ago, Chez said:

Liability? Behave. He's an asset. We either get a fee or we get a quality player for oe more season.

He is a quality player but will that quality be diluted by lack of commitment/ effort as he gets closer to being a free agent?

1 hour ago, JRM said:

He is a quality player but will that quality be diluted by lack of commitment/ effort as he gets closer to being a free agent?

I can think of players who were denied a move by their club and so underperformed, but not ones who were just running down their contracts?

13 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

If he is on their list of targets but lower down then they don't really want him do they.

3 hours ago, JRM said:

Speaking generally, not just Ings, but cant imagine any top level player dropping his coomitment/effort players towards the end of a contract. (forcing a move mid-term is a different thing)

A) Their own sense of pride and competitiveness that got them to that level should prevent them from even trying

B) Imagine the negotiations with prospective future clubs
Club " We're interested in signing you but your form has noticeably dropped from a year ago. We can't justify the wages you're asking for"
Player " Oh don't worry about that, I've been taking it easy for 6 months, didn't want to jeopardise my future"
Club " Ooooh-kaaaay" Marks a huge  X in the "attitude/character" box on the checklist.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dusic said:

Michael Bentine would be proud of that line-up. 

17 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Speaking generally, not just Ings, but cant imagine any top level player dropping his coomitment/effort players towards the end of a contract. (forcing a move mid-term is a different thing)

A) Their own sense of pride and competitiveness that got them to that level should prevent them from even trying

Club " We're interested in signing you but your form has noticeably dropped from a year ago. We can't justify the wages you're asking for"
Player " Oh don't worry about that, I've been taking it easy for 6 months, didn't want to jeopardise my future"
Club " Ooooh-kaaaay" Marks a huge  X in the "attitude/character" box on the checklist.

The flip side of that is why would he care what happens to Saints when he wont be here the season after. Also why would he try too hard to risk injury the closer he gets to the end of his contract. 

16 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Sure Ryan Fraser will be glad you think he gave his top performance during that last season for Bournemouth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

The flip side of that is why would he care what happens to Saints when he wont be here the season after. Also why would he try too hard to risk injury the closer he gets to the end of his contract. 

Plus I doubt he'll have no idea who is interested in him, could well have a verbal agreement with a club as the season progresses  that if fit they are ready to sign him as a free agent , especially from Christmas onwards. 

1 hour ago, Baird of the land said:

Sure Ryan Fraser will be glad you think he gave his top performance during that last season for Bournemouth.

I said top level players 😂

Edited by Wurzel

4 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I can think of players who were denied a move by their club and so underperformed, but not ones who were just running down their contracts?

Surely the majority of players who have contracts expire are mainly due to clubs not wanting them, like Shane Long for example he'll be incentivised to attract attention if he wants a contract elsewhere, elite top players with contracts expiring who are wanted by other clubs is fairly rare. 

8 hours ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

You don't always get what you really want though do you? I believe Diallo wasn't top our list last season, but we ended up signing him.

third (realistic) choice, not 10th.

City don't need to settle. If City want to be best in the world, they cant afford to settle on 10th choice. Our aims and requirements are somewhat different. 

7 hours ago, Turkish said:

fair point, but does trying hard actually equate to greater injury risk? 

7 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

shudder. Remind me again of the scenario? Was he denied a move or did he indicate early that he was seeing his contract out and then put his feet up? Did Bournemouth mess him about a bit or was it all down to him? 

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

shudder. Remind me again of the scenario? Was he denied a move or did he indicate early that he was seeing his contract out and then put his feet up? Did Bournemouth mess him about a bit or was it all down to him? 

I don't know the answer to your question but as far as I'm aware he hasn't pulled up any trees at Newcastle so perhaps there's something deeper there

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Like a lot of players his contract ran out at the end of June. Because of Covid the season was extended past that date, and other players agreed an extension till the end of the prolonged season. He refused and therefore didn’t play. 

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Like a lot of players his contract ran out at the end of June. Because of Covid the season was extended past that date, and other players agreed an extension till the end of the prolonged season. He refused and therefore didn’t play. 

Now I remember. Tricky situation. Put at risk a multimillion pound contract to do your old club a favour.

15 hours ago, Chez said:

IIRC largely down to him. I think he was linked with like Arsenal and maybe a few of the other big clubs, was offered a contract by Bournemouth, turned it down and then his form plummeted for the rest of the season and he ended up at Newcastle where he has been pretty meh and not a regular. I think he picked up a few injuries as well. 

Suppose it's the risk these players take, yes as a free they are an attractive option and they can often negotiate a big wage because of that, but at the same time if the get injured or loss form they will suddenly have less takers and possibly a less lucrative contract on the table at the end of the season than they initially had from their club.

It's the exact same issue Ings will have, I am sure ideal situation for him is someone like City buys him now, but at the same time in 12 months time, he could have had an injury blighted season, not done much, and even we won't be offering the same sort of terms. 

It's why I don't think the door is closed on him signing a new contract here, I think if the window shuts and no one has really come in for him he might look at 4 years as our best paid player as his best option. Hardly like he hates the club or the people or the area, he seems pretty happy, he just wants to test himself at a higher level and I presume push for a World Cup squad place so can't blame him for that.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Danny Ings