David Mcgoldrick let go too soon?

Turkish

Was a bit of a whipping boy when when here but was clearly young and hungry and the evidence says he’s definitely improved. I remember being at a game when he was only 19 or so and our great fans ironically cheering him when he was substituted 

gone on to have a decent career, score tonight which is better than most of our strikers have done recently. Would be a great squad option, certainly better than N’dululdluludududu or however it’s spelt. 

• Like 1

Blackstock and McGoldrick, those were the days. We had to remove the log jam of strikers to finally allow McGoldrick in particular his chance. If only we'd have kept both of them. Blackstock and McGoldrick front line, Jake Thompson on the right. Ollie Lancashire and Craine at the back. Leon Best on the bench. We'd have been heading for the title

In league 2.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Blackstock and McGoldrick, those were the days. We had to remove the log jam of strikers to finally allow McGoldrick in particular his chance. If only we'd have kept both of them. Blackstock and McGoldrick front line, Jake Thompson on the right. Ollie Lancashire and Craine at the back. Leon Best on the bench. We'd have been heading for the title

In league 2.

Joseph Mills on the left, Lloyd James on the right. 

17 hours ago, Turkish said:

Was a bit of a whipping boy when when here but was clearly young and hungry and the evidence says he’s definitely improved. I remember being at a game when he was only 19 or so and our great fans ironically cheering him when he was substituted 

gone on to have a decent career, score tonight which is better than most of our strikers have done recently. Would be a great squad option, certainly better than N’dululdluludududu or however it’s spelt. 

He was popular with the boo boys. David McGoaldrought he was fondly called, fair play to him still playing and scoring in the top flight, international recognition as well. 

The £1m fee from Forest probably kept the club alive pre-Markus in summer 2009 so I’d argue he left at exactly the right time. 

Well done to the lad since, and Billy, but hope they don’t have such a good game at the weekend. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, austsaint said:

Leon Best - will always be remembered for his miss in the 07 play off v Derby.    On a scale of deflating nights, that one was right up there!

That was just gutting on the highest scale. Made all the more unbearable by Derby and their fans acting like absolute twats over both legs.

Did we let him go to soon? Even if he scores against us Saturday, no we didn’t, he was average except in his own head where he always gave the impression he was rather special on the football pitch.

Perhaps we let Lee Todd and Ollie Lancashire go too soon as well....

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Like 1

As I continue to keep telling my Forrest supporting brother in law to this day, "you signing McGoldrick enabled us to buy Sir Ricky Lambert. Many thanks for your million."

What makes it even better is that my brother in law used to come to lots of Saints games with me and he thought McGoldrick was utter rubbish, lazy, useless etc. so it was wonderful when they bought him from us.

To be fair, he subsequently bet on Saints to score three and Rickie to be firdst scorer, which wee seemed happen a lot when we were in the third tier, so he made a bloody fortune. 

Swings and roundabouts.

2 hours ago, NorthLondonSFC said:

Mcgoldrick is a Legend.

His 90th min winner away at Preston after being 2-0 down at HT is one of my fondest memories following Saints.

I went to pretty much every game, home and away that season, except that one. Never seen us come back from two down at half time away from home to win...ever. Was gutted to have missed that. Still gutted now.

3 hours ago, JRM said:

He was popular with the boo boys. David McGoaldrought he was fondly called, fair play to him still playing and scoring in the top flight, international recognition as well. 

2007-09 was the golden period for spiteful/wacky nicknames and banter chants. Bradley Shite-Phillips, Jan Portaloo, Jermaine Shite, Bartman as glovesman. Whilst Hoover was classic nickname in the 2011-12 season we've never really come close to hitting those levels. I certainly feel we missed a trick not chanting "what a waste of Mane" at Sadio Mane Sheffield United away and could have made more use of Pellend and Turdic at times during their time here. 

Aside from my mate shouting “run Forest run” whenever he set off in pursuit of the ball.

Went to an evening locally put on by the local Saints Supporters club - they had roped in some guys from Saints to give a talk. One of the guys (can’t for the life of me think of his name) was head of the academy at the time, quite highly thought of having overseen some bright talent that have gone on to make a decent career in football coming through to the first team. Not long after the talk this guy got lured into a similar role with the FA overseeing the England youth set up. On this evening the one young player he really talked very highly of was McGoldrick - who was “destined for the very top of the game”. 
We all know he became part of the grand young player sale to pay the bills when we were heading towards serious strife. After the move to Forest he seeming just disappeared into the wallpaper of football, until he notably popped back into the semi limelight with Sheffield United. I often wondered if as a nipper having had so much sunshine blown up his backside he thought he had made it before he had even started with us, so didn’t need to put more effort in - then the sudden move away from the cosseted life of a Saints academy player, he just found himself with the tiller in his hand but his rudder on the end of it was snapped in half, and many years later navigated his way to the port of the Premier League.

Did we let him go too early - no. The money we got was useful and his career since leaving hasn’t lived up to the top billing he was given as a nipper.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chez said:

I went to pretty much every game, home and away that season, except that one. Never seen us come back from two down at half time away from home to win...ever. Was gutted to have missed that. Still gutted now.

I have been racking my brain trying to think of previous times we have come from 2-0 down to win in an away game but cant think of any besides from that Preston game, can anyone else? 

On 03/03/2021 at 19:36, Turkish said:

errrr.....No

On 05/03/2021 at 09:39, NorthLondonSFC said:

I have been racking my brain trying to think of previous times we have come from 2-0 down to win in an away game but cant think of any besides from that Preston game, can anyone else? 

Coventry - evening game in October 87

On 05/03/2021 at 08:46, John Boy Saint said:

Aside from my mate shouting “run Forest run” whenever he set off in pursuit of the ball.

Went to an evening locally put on by the local Saints Supporters club - they had roped in some guys from Saints to give a talk. One of the guys (can’t for the life of me think of his name) was head of the academy at the time, quite highly thought of having overseen some bright talent that have gone on to make a decent career in football coming through to the first team. Not long after the talk this guy got lured into a similar role with the FA overseeing the England youth set up. On this evening the one young player he really talked very highly of was McGoldrick - who was “destined for the very top of the game”. 
We all know he became part of the grand young player sale to pay the bills when we were heading towards serious strife. After the move to Forest he seeming just disappeared into the wallpaper of football, until he notably popped back into the semi limelight with Sheffield United. I often wondered if as a nipper having had so much sunshine blown up his backside he thought he had made it before he had even started with us, so didn’t need to put more effort in - then the sudden move away from the cosseted life of a Saints academy player, he just found himself with the tiller in his hand but his rudder on the end of it was snapped in half, and many years later navigated his way to the port of the Premier League.

Did we let him go too early - no. The money we got was useful and his career since leaving hasn’t lived up to the top billing he was given as a nipper.

He definitely had an air of arrogance when he first got into the team, striding around the pitch like he was Cantona. I remember it distinctly.

Glad to see him doing well though. It's a shame we couldn't keep him and Surman when we got relegated as they would have both been great players to have on our rise back through the league's.

Thought he was their best player at the weekend followed by Fleck (minus that challenge). Just lacked that final bit of quality you expect when it mattered - a bit like some of our strikers. Held the ball up well and was causing us a few problems especially compared to that lanky twat that come on for them ..

On 04/03/2021 at 15:12, beatlesaint said:

Did we let him go to soon? Even if he scores against us Saturday, no we didn’t, he was average except in his own head where he always gave the impression he was rather special on the football pitch.

Perhaps we let Lee Todd and Ollie Lancashire go too soon as well....

I agree, evidence from Saturday shows he is a second rate squad player.