Coronavirus

whelk

I see the media are leading with the headlines of hospital numbers being their highest since March. It's an attention grabbing headline but the numbers have barely risen over the past 2 weeks despite the panic predictions. 

Also as far as I can see, this is innacurate https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-number-of-people-in-hospital-with-coronavirus-in-england-hits-highest-level-since-march-12504769

" The number stood at 8,474 as of 8am on Monday, according to NHS England. This is up 27% from a week earlier and is the highest number since 5 March, when the country was under tough lockdown restrictions."

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare

According to the 'patients in hospital' graph here though, it looks to me that it's only the highest since 16th November.

Also last Monday the figure was 7825, so 8474 is about an 8% rise not a 27% rise. 

Am I missing something here? 

34 minutes ago, Barry the Badger said:

I see the media are leading with the headlines of hospital numbers being their highest since March. It's an attention grabbing headline but the numbers have barely risen over the past 2 weeks despite the panic predictions. 

Also as far as I can see, this is innacurate https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-number-of-people-in-hospital-with-coronavirus-in-england-hits-highest-level-since-march-12504769

" The number stood at 8,474 as of 8am on Monday, according to NHS England. This is up 27% from a week earlier and is the highest number since 5 March, when the country was under tough lockdown restrictions."

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare

According to the 'patients in hospital' graph here though, it looks to me that it's only the highest since 16th November.

Also last Monday the figure was 7825, so 8474 is about an 8% rise not a 27% rise. 

You have seen through the Big Lie.

2 hours ago, Barry the Badger said:

I think Sky have conflated two separate stats. Yesterday was the highest number of new covid patients admitted to hospital since March. Both Sunday and Monday showed a big increase. Whether that is the beginning of a new sh*tshow or a statistical blip, who knows. The total number of covid patients in hospital however is not (yet) the highest since March.   

image.png

Edited by buctootim

4 minutes ago, buctootim said:

I think Sky have conflated two separate stats. Yesterday was the highest number of new covid patients admitted to hospital since March. Both Sunday and Monday showed a big increase. Whether that is the beginning of a new sh*tshow or a statistical blip, who knows. The total number of covid patients in hospital however is not (yet) the highest since March.   

image.png

Ah thanks, that makes sense but pretty useless on their part (not that I’m surprised) to get it so wrong and give completely the wrong impression. 

1 minute ago, Barry the Badger said:

Ah thanks, that makes sense but pretty useless on their part (not that I’m surprised) to get it so wrong and give completely the wrong impression. 

Actually I was wrong too. Ive just looked again. We were both looking at UK data. If you narrow down to England only Sky are right - both admisssions and total number of patient in hospital are highest since March  

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I see the language is shifting slightly.  From "unvaccinated" to "unboosted"

Despite the claim in the tweet, turns out it was just pure anecdotal comments from some NHS trusts (so, just 2 then)

They are trying to encourage people to get boosted so makes sense. What is your point?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Wife has just tested positive on a lateral flow and cannot book a PCR test anywhere in the county :lol:

So has my wife. Positive this morning. 

Apparently there are no slots anywhere in the south east. 

Just got a slight headache, runny nose and an aching side. 

Bang goes my s**g later 😂

Edited by Klaus Schwab

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Wife has just tested positive on a lateral flow and cannot book a PCR test anywhere in the county :lol:

Is that one paid by the  NHS or is she prepared to pay herself? Express Test has some slots available tomorrow and Friday at Eastleigh Football Club.

https://www.expresstest.co.uk/book-a-test/testing-centres/southampton-eastleigh-fc-drive-through/?testType=PCR&productType=Test+Only

There is also Southampton Airport

https://www.southamptonairport.com/coronavirus/pcr-park-and-test/

We are having our Fit to Fly tests tomorrow so fingers crossed!

18 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Is that one paid by the  NHS or is she prepared to pay herself? Express Test has some slots available tomorrow and Friday at Eastleigh Football Club.

https://www.expresstest.co.uk/book-a-test/testing-centres/southampton-eastleigh-fc-drive-through/?testType=PCR&productType=Test+Only

Don’t you realise Turkish lives above a fried chicken shop in Gateshead?

2 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

It’ll be an NHS one, thanks for the link but we live in Yorkshire 😉

She’s managed to get one now but got to drive 25 miles away, going in the morning. She’s fine though, just says feels like she’s getting a cold, which was exactly what my mate said when he had it a week to so ago.

feel sorry for our neighbours, he’s in the army just got back from a 6 month tour and him and his missus went down with it on Christmas Eve, now isolating all over Christmas and new year 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

They should introduce that everybody. 

1. Had a shower this morning (with soap) 

2. Arse no wider than 18 inches

3. Fresh socks

Edited by buctootim
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, buctootim said:

They should introduce that everybody. 

1. Had a shower this morning (with soap) 

2. Arse no wider than 18 inches

3. Fresh socks

4. Don’t skip breakfast so you can have another pint at 5am, then pass out on the flight.

5. You aren’t allowed to grope the arse of a lap dancer in a club, so why you think it’s acceptable to do it to a flight attendant I’ve no idea.

6. Telling a check in agent you have a bomb in your suitcase isn’t as hilarious and original as you might think.

• Like 1

It’ll be an NHS one, thanks for the link but we live in Yorkshire 😉

She’s managed to get one now but got to drive 25 miles away, going in the morning. She’s fine though, just says feels like she’s getting a cold, which was exactly what my mate said when he had it a week to so ago.

feel sorry for our neighbours, he’s in the army just got back from a 6 month tour and him and his missus went down with it on Christmas Eve, now isolating all over Christmas and new year 

You live in Yorkshire? My commiserations ;)

I hope all goes well for your good lady. Maybe the links will be useful for somebody somewhere.

I tested positive on LFT yesterday, booked a PCR test easily for this morning. Felt crap for two days, worse than a cold but not as bad as the flu and still have a really tight chest, muscle ache and fatigue. 

Still fortunate to have an annex (where my late father in law lived), with the a fridge full of Christmas food and wine (although I haven’t wanted a drink for days) and loads of football on the box. No one is coming near me, so it's like a real staycation. My daughter doesn't want to get it and ruin her New Years eve night out.

I've told the wife, I'll be ready for a shag at the weekend and happy to wear a spit hood.

11 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

I tested positive on LFT yesterday, booked a PCR test easily for this morning. Felt crap for two days, worse than a cold but not as bad as the flu and still have a really tight chest, muscle ache and fatigue. 

Still fortunate to have an annex (where my late father in law lived), with the a fridge full of Christmas food and wine (although I haven’t wanted a drink for days) and loads of football on the box. No one is coming near me, so it's like a real staycation. My daughter doesn't want to get it and ruin her New Years eve night out.

I've told the wife, I'll be ready for a shag at the weekend and happy to wear a spit hood.

Does she normally spit then?

You sound the same as me when I tested positive on Christmas Eve. 

• Like 1

Has anyone looked into the environmental impact of covid testing yet?

Yesterday there was just short of 1.5 million tests carried out (presumably the official figures only count PCR figures and not LFTs???) and who knows how many LFT tests used up and down the country.  All of those tests have an incredible amount of single use plastics, none of which can be re-used or recycled, and that's just in the UK.  Across the globe the amount of plastic that is being used just for testing must be atronomical.  I'm guessing that all the environmental 'saves' that were recorded when almost the entire aviation network was grounded have already been wiped out by the plastics used in the testing kits.....

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

Hmmm.

See answers 4 and 5 here:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/health/how-effective-are-covid-19-vaccines-against-omicron

Given the enormous lengths footballers are expected to go to in order to maximise their chances of playing at peak performance, it’s beyond absurd that players paid millions a year - often equating to several thousand pounds per minute on the pitch - wouldn’t take 3 jabs.

There is an "expert" on the BBC as a type, saying that Omicron is "so infectious that anyone within a breath will likely get it.  Thankfully, the vaccine will stop most getting seriously ill" "The infection rates are extraordinary across the community"

Sage even predicted that 1 million people per day would get the thing (yes, it was obviously bollox).  How can that be when most of the country are vaccinated, let alone those who have natural immunity.

Edited by AlexLaw76

6 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

There is an "expert" on the BBC as a type, saying that Omicron is "so infectious that anyone within a breath will likely get it.  Thankfully, the vaccine will stop most getting seriously ill" "The infection rates are extraordinary across the community"

Sage even predicted that 1 million people per day would get the thing (yes, it was obviously bollox).  How can that be when most of the country are vaccinated, let alone those who have natural immunity.

Because omicron is highly infectious and the vaccine is not a guarantee of not catching it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, richardc said:

whats thick about pointing out that vaccination does little to stop the transmission of omincrom and therefore discriminating against those people is unnecessary.

we all know your a facist bootlicker that shouts down anyone you dont agree with - with your hard man language - i wonder if your so hard away from your keyboard

Bootlicker? Unlike you free thinkers who are smart enough to question huh? Please tell me more about vaccines you seem so knowledgeable about

40 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Remember natural immunity does work here. It was the reason why there were very few seriously ill in South Africa but here it's different. Our own health secretary told us that and he knows what he's talking about.

• Haha 1

Sweden has the lowest Covid deaths in Western Europe because of the level of natural immunity in the population. It's also the reason we're doing better than most.

We need an open & honest debate now, as to whether this constant testing is serving any purpose. 
Most of the players forced to isolate are not ill, they're working out in their home gyms, & doing laps of the pool to keep fit (obviously there are exceptions), but no one dares say so.
It's the same story with other professions forced to test..teachers (&kids), NHS staff, care workers etc.

1 hour ago, ziggee said:

Sweden has the lowest Covid deaths in Western Europe because of the level of natural immunity in the population. It's also the reason we're doing better than most.

We need an open & honest debate now, as to whether this constant testing is serving any purpose. 
Most of the players forced to isolate are not ill, they're working out in their home gyms, & doing laps of the pool to keep fit (obviously there are exceptions), but no one dares say so.
It's the same story with other professions forced to test..teachers (&kids), NHS staff, care workers etc.

Another point of view 

https://healthfeedback.org/claimreview/no-evidence-low-covid-19-case-rate-in-sweden-due-herd-immunity-vaccines-dont-create-variants-the-blaze/

3 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Dell Days, we've had the vaccine for over a year, surley you know by now that the vaccine doesn't stop you from getting it.

SAGE would offer the worse case I guess. But if you consider that it's believed that the number of people who have the virus is up to 4 times the number recorded, so with recorded cases touching 200k, the million mark might not be so wild.

44 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Dell Days, we've had the vaccine for over a year, surley you know by now that the vaccine doesn't stop you from getting it.

SAGE would offer the worse case I guess. But if you consider that it's believed that the number of people who have the virus is up to 4 times the number recorded, so with recorded cases touching 200k, the million mark might not be so wild.

How on earth do they work that out?! According to this mornings number 2.3m people have tested positive this week, which means that there are almost 10m in this country who have got it in the last week. 7m+ people walking around with it untested, just in the last week. Utter nonsense.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

I heard SAGE mention this a number of times, but I don't know the methodology. The US CDC link has similar estimates -

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/burden.html

As I said above, that means 7 million people are currently infected with a virus so mild they don’t even know they’ve got it. It’s either bullshit or fucking brilliant news. I hope they’re right, bring it on, we’ll all have it by mid January but 3/4s of the country won’t even realise

their numbers don’t even stack up, it just came on BBC news 2.3m week up to 23rd Dec, the most on a day that week was 120k which means the real figure report at the time is probably more like 700k. 

Edited by Turkish

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

How on earth do they work that out?! According to this mornings number 2.3m people have tested positive this week, which means that there are almost 10m in this country who have got it in the last week. 7m+ people walking around with it untested, just in the last week. Utter nonsense.

I think the 2m is not people who have officially tested positive but an extrapolated number based on sampling. It's from the Office of National Statistics rather than an NHS record.

I don't think we'll ever record 2m positive cases because the capacity to actually process that volume of tests not there.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I think the 2m is not people who have officially tested positive but an extrapolated number based on sampling. It's from the Office of National Statistics rather than an NHS record.

I don't think we'll ever record 2m positive cases because the capacity to actually process that volume of tests not there.

That sounds more likely, it flashed up on the feed on BBC news earlier, 2.4m people positive, the numbers dont add up to what was reported each day and there is no way on earth 10m are currently infected in the UK

• Like 1

As I said above, that means 7 million people are currently infected with a virus so mild they don’t even know they’ve got it. It’s either bullshit or fucking brilliant news. I hope they’re right, bring it on, we’ll all have it by mid January but 3/4s of the country won’t even realise

their numbers don’t even stack up, it just came on BBC news 2.3m week up to 23rd Dec, the most on a day that week was 120k which means the real figure report at the time is probably more like 700k. 

Of course their numbers don't stack up. We should be having 3-5k deaths per day by now. 

38 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Of course their numbers don't stack up. We should be having 3-5k deaths per day by now. 

You don’t seem too far off joining Salmon at one of his rallies against the great conspiracy 

Edited by whelk
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Doctoroncall said:

Nothing new, been reports last year of chance to have the two viruses (not another variant) at the same time. 

This. There has never been a reason for by you can’t have two different infections at once. It’s always happened. 

People should be able to differentiate between scientists sounding an alarm and routine papers picked up by clickbaity media outlets and sensationalised 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, buctootim said:

This. There has never been a reason for by you can’t have two different infections at once. It’s always happened. 

People should be able to differentiate between scientists sounding an alarm and routine papers picked up by clickbaity media outlets and sensationalised 

Weirdly, it’s the people obsessively posting these articles every day who are also telling everyone else how scared we are.