Coronavirus

whelk

13) people have been so severely affected by the social impact of the pandemic that in order to satisfy their psycological need for companionship and belonging,  they create additional accounts then spend their time quoting and "liking" what are in reality their own posts.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

13) people have been so severely affected by the social impact of the pandemic that in order to satisfy their psycological need for companionship and belonging,  they create additional accounts then spend their time quoting and "liking" what are in reality their own posts.

You've officially outed your alter egos as Turkish, Tamesaint and Whitely Grandad 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

The tournament regulations say that players and staff must be vaccinated or produce a valid medical certificate of exemption. If he has no such certificate, he should not be allowed to play. Djokovic is a known anti-vaxxer, and his wife promotes the various conspiracy theories that claim to link 5G to the spread of Covid.

There is also this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59873833

Edited by badgerx16

Talking of Shurlock, I wondered whatever happened to his old sparring partner Wes Tender? Just had a look at his profile and he hasn’t logged on here since 9 January 2021, but he’d been posting loads up to then. Unless he just suddenly decided to bin this place, it could be a sad one.

On 05/01/2022 at 17:22, Fan The Flames said:

Apparently Novak Djokovic has a medical exemption, itchy chin (as we used to say at school).

I used to make a joke about his wife, complaining that he never did the hoovering.  He's taken it to another level.  

Interesting statistic on the news this lunchtime.

35,000 NHS staff were off work due to covid on the 2nd of January and that number is rising.

Putting my 'critical thinking' hat on, is that because :

1. They are ill (tested positive) for covid 

or

2. They are isolating because they have come into contact with someone who is positive.

If it's 1, I guess that's not entirely avoidable given the prevalence (although you would expect that those working for the NHS would be more aware of how to protect themselves!!).

If it's 2, then WTF?  Not a lot of point putting procedures in place to protect the NHS if they can't protect themselves as this will mean that they are unvaccinated....

As always, we're given headline statistics without any actual substance to qualify them....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

35,000 NHS staff were off work due to covid on the 2nd of January and that number is rising.

or

2. They are isolating because they have come into contact with someone who is positive.

If it's 1, I guess that's not entirely avoidable given the prevalence (although you would expect that those working for the NHS would be more aware of how to protect themselves!!).

If it's 2, then WTF?  Not a lot of point putting procedures in place to protect the NHS if they can't protect themselves as this will mean that they are unvaccinated....

As always, we're given headline statistics without any actual substance to qualify them....

In conclusion whether its 1 or 2 NHS staff are to blame. Same old same old then.

6 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

or

As ever it will be a bit of both. 

Weren't you the other day highlighting the numbers of people catching covid in hospital. Now you are pointing out the number of asymptomatic nurses who are isolating, some of whom will go on to develop the illness. You can't have it both ways.

57 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

As ever it will be a bit of both. 

Weren't you the other day highlighting the numbers of people catching covid in hospital. Now you are pointing out the number of asymptomatic nurses who are isolating, some of whom will go on to develop the illness. You can't have it both ways.

Why are asymptomatic nurses isolating?

If they aren't testing positive then they shouldn't need to be isolating should they?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

If they aren't testing positive then they shouldn't need to be isolating should they?

Asymptomatic doesn't mean they haven't tested positive, just that they're just not showing any ill effects.

Unfortunately with Covid, that doesn't mean they can't spread it.

1 hour ago, Jimmy_D said:

Asymptomatic doesn't mean they haven't tested positive, just that they're just not showing any ill effects.

It’s mental that 2 years into a pandemic this still needs explaining to some people.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Oh dear, I think someone needs to do some critical thinking about the 'if' word.

Give Lighthouse a shout if you get stuck.

If Weston breathes in he's pigshit thick. If he breathes out he's pigshit thick. 

Whaaaaat??? I said 'if' 

3 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Keep up with what you've posted lad, I am responding to the point you made about the two groups you listed.

or

So the people in number 2, that you are moaning about, are they positive or symptomatic? I've assumed, by the point you are trying to make, they are not, because if they are they shouldn't be going to work. So they must be asymptomatic. The answer to this is that many asymptomatic people are just presymptomatic, so as a precaution, so they don't spread the illness to vulnerable people, they can't come to work. What is the alternative?

Edit - Just seen that Jim has explained it already.

Edited by Fan The Flames

The Deva Stadium, home of Chester FC, is owned by Cheshire West Council and located within the bounds of that Authority. The matches are policed by Cheshire Constabulary. The entrance to the ground is in England, but the pitch is in Wales, so the club have been told by the Police that they cannot have fans at games. However, as they are not an affiliated Welsh club, they cannot apply to the Welsh assembly for financial assistance.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59920281

52 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Interesting that the eastern bloc is the lowest, is it a scepticism of authority are years of being ruled by dictators and then dodgy politicians.

Apparently the Soviet Union and Warsaw Pact used to have a very coercive approach to vaccinations, taking control out of the hands of parents. The state wanted appear 'good' and 'successful' but instead their bad reputation rubbed off on the image of vaccinations. That's what I read anyhow. 

Edited by buctootim

On 07/01/2022 at 20:49, Jimmy_D said:

Remind me, what are the criteria that need to be in place before someone can book a test?

Once you've read the criteria, apply some critical thinking and let me know how someone without any symptoms can test positive....

On 08/01/2022 at 00:42, Fan The Flames said:

Keep up with what you've posted lad, I am responding to the point you made about the two groups you listed.

or

So the people in number 2, that you are moaning about, are they positive or symptomatic? I've assumed, by the point you are trying to make, they are not, because if they are they shouldn't be going to work. So they must be asymptomatic. The answer to this is that many asymptomatic people are just presymptomatic, so as a precaution, so they don't spread the illness to vulnerable people, they can't come to work. What is the alternative?

Edit - Just seen that Jim has explained it already.

Thanks for that.  I wonder why I put this line into my original post that you are referring to?

The people in number 2 that I was referring to would be non positive, non symptomatic, non asymptomatic but also non vaccinated and therefore being instructed to isolate because they have not taken up any offers of protection and have come into contact with positive cases.

Not sure where your whataboutery regarding asymptomatic, blah, blah, blah comes from given that I wrote this in the same post :

Not sure it's critical thinking that is missing at the moment rather than critical reading!

Edited by Weston Super Saint

On 07/01/2022 at 19:44, buctootim said:

In conclusion whether its 1 or 2 NHS staff are to blame. Same old same old then.

In conclusion, if it's number 2 then NHS staff are to blame as they would not have taken up the offer of a vaccination.

Number 1 is a little more nuanced, but I forgive you for not figuring that out.

42 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Remind me, what are the criteria that need to be in place before someone can book a test?

Once you've read the criteria, apply some critical thinking and let me know how someone without any symptoms can test positive....

They can test positive because all NHS staff are being tested at least twice weekly pro-actively.

4 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Thanks for that.  I wonder why I put this line into my original post that you are referring to?

The people in number 2 that I was referring to would be non positive, non symptomatic, non asymptomatic but also non vaccinated and therefore being instructed to isolate because they have not taken up any offers of protection and have come into contact with positive cases.

Not sure where your whataboutery regarding asymptomatic, blah, blah, blah comes from given that I wrote this in the same post :

Not sure it's critical thinking that is mis the moment rather than critical reading!sing at

Nope, you're still 'confused'. NHS staff are not getting priority for testing and cannot attend work until they have tested negative after coming in to contact, vaccinated or not. So yes, yet again you were attacking NHS staff because you hadn't understood the issues. Its twats like you who make retention of staff so difficult. 

"Staff who are contacts of someone confirmed COVID-19 positive: • must stay at home and self-isolate if not fully vaccinated • if fully vaccinated (i.e. have received two vaccine doses and are 14 days post second vaccination) should arrange a PCR test and can return to work if it is confirmed negative (if positive, isolate for 10 days). If negative, should complete daily lateral flow tests before attending work each day for 10 days and should seek a repeat PCR in the event of any positive LFD test".https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavirus/wp-content/uploads/sites/52/2021/12/C1500-letter-updated-uk-hsa-guidance-nhs-staff-student-volunteer-self-isolation-return-to-work-following-covid.pdf

"The BMA says the way in which key workers are supposedly being given priority for lateral flow and PCR tests isn’t working as BMA members report inability to get test kits or get a PCR test. The Association says healthcare lateral flow and PCR testing should be prioritised for key workers to protect public services whilst the current issues with supplies remain."

https://www.bma.org.uk/bma-media-centre/priority-of-lateral-flow-tests-for-healthcare-staff-isn-t-working-says-bma-and-nhs-services-under-severe-threat-because-staff-cannot-access-testing

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-calls-for-nhs-staff-to-get-priority-access-to-coronavirus-tests-12506609

Edited by buctootim

52 minutes ago, buctootim said:

Nope, you're still 'confused'. NHS staff are not getting priority for testing and cannot attend work until they have tested negative after coming in to contact, vaccinated or not. So yes, yet again you were attacking NHS staff because you hadn't understood the issues. Its twats like you who make retention of staff so difficult. 

"Staff who are contacts of someone confirmed COVID-19 positive: • must stay at home and self-isolate if not fully vaccinated • if fully vaccinated (i.e. have received two vaccine doses and are 14 days post second vaccination) should arrange a PCR test and can return to work if it is confirmed negative (if positive, isolate for 10 days). If negative, should complete daily lateral flow tests before attending work each day for 10 days and should seek a repeat PCR in the event of any positive LFD test".https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavirus/wp-content/uploads/sites/52/2021/12/C1500-letter-updated-uk-hsa-guidance-nhs-staff-student-volunteer-self-isolation-return-to-work-following-covid.pdf

"The BMA says the way in which key workers are supposedly being given priority for lateral flow and PCR tests isn’t working as BMA members report inability to get test kits or get a PCR test. The Association says healthcare lateral flow and PCR testing should be prioritised for key workers to protect public services whilst the current issues with supplies remain."

https://www.bma.org.uk/bma-media-centre/priority-of-lateral-flow-tests-for-healthcare-staff-isn-t-working-says-bma-and-nhs-services-under-severe-threat-because-staff-cannot-access-testing

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-calls-for-nhs-staff-to-get-priority-access-to-coronavirus-tests-12506609

I stand corrected.  I wasn't aware that NHS staff (fully vaccinated) had to follow different guidelines, however that does seem like it has been self imposed by the NHS on the NHS...

In the letter you linked to, there is the following link https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-management-of-exposed-healthcare-workers-and-patients-in-hospital-settings/covid-19-management-of-exposed-healthcare-workers-and-patients-in-hospital-settings

In that link it states the following :

2.5.1 Exemptions from self-isolation if a staff member is fully vaccinated[footnote 1] and is identified as a contact of a case

Staff members notified that they are a contact of a COVID-19 case are not required to self-isolate if they are fully vaccinated. They should inform their line manager or employer immediately if they are required to work in the 10 days following their last contact with a COVID-19 case.

If the staff member develops symptoms of COVID-19 during this period, follow the guidance in section 2.1.

The majority of fully vaccinated health and social care staff will be able to continue in their usual role. 

So it would appear that the official Gov't advice for NHS workers is the same as for all other workers.

The fact that the NHS has self imposed different rules suggests they are shooting themselves in the foot.

It also makes the point about NHS staff not being given priority for testing irrelevant as the Gov't hasn't insisted on these tests...

Edited by Weston Super Saint

37 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I stand corrected.  I wasn't aware that NHS staff (fully vaccinated) had to follow different guidelines, however that does seem like it has been self imposed by the NHS on the NHS...

In the letter you linked to, there is the following link https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-management-of-exposed-healthcare-workers-and-patients-in-hospital-settings/covid-19-management-of-exposed-healthcare-workers-and-patients-in-hospital-settings

In that link it states the following :

So it would appear that the official Gov't advice for NHS workers is the same as for all other workers.

The fact that the NHS has self imposed different rules suggests they are shooting themselves in the foot.

It also makes the point about NHS staff not being given priority for testing irrelevant as the Gov't hasn't insisted on these tests...

I honestly cant decide if you really are catastrophically stupid, whether you simply lack courage to admit when you are wrong or are simply engaged in a pointless, humourless long winded windup. You're like GM, even your own links are against you. 

2.5.1 Exemptions from self-isolation if a staff member is fully vaccinated[footnote 1] and is identified as a contact of a case

Staff members notified that they are a contact of a COVID-19 case are not required to self-isolate if they are fully vaccinated. They should inform their line manager or employer immediately if they are required to work in the 10 days following their last contact with a COVID-19 case.

If the staff member develops symptoms of COVID-19 during this period, follow the guidance in section 2.1.

The majority of fully vaccinated health and social care staff will be able to continue in their usual role. The following apply to staff returning to work:

• the staff member should not have any COVID-19 symptoms
  • the staff member should not have any travel related isolation requirements
  • the staff member should immediately arrange for a PCR test, either through their workplace arrangements or via the NHS Test and Trace service, and the result of this PCR test should be negative prior to returning to work
  • following the negative PCR result, the staff member should undertake an LFD antigen test every day for the 10 days following their last contact with the case (even on days they are not at work)

50 minutes ago, buctootim said:

I honestly cant decide if you really are catastrophically stupid, whether you simply lack courage to admit when you are wrong or are simply engaged in a pointless, humourless long winded windup. You're like GM, even your own links are against you. 

The majority of fully vaccinated health and social care staff will be able to continue in their usual role. The following apply to staff returning to work:

• the staff member should not have any COVID-19 symptoms
  • the staff member should not have any travel related isolation requirements
  • the staff member should immediately arrange for a PCR test, either through their workplace arrangements or via the NHS Test and Trace service, and the result of this PCR test should be negative prior to returning to work
  • following the negative PCR result, the staff member should undertake an LFD antigen test every day for the 10 days following their last contact with the case (even on days they are not at work)

Perhaps it's a question of interpretation...

I read :

Staff members notified that they are a contact of a COVID-19 case are not required to self-isolate if they are fully vaccinated.

As well as :

The majority of fully vaccinated health and social care staff will be able to continue in their usual role.

I also read the rules that you have posted, which I disregarded as irrelevant given the two statements above.  I considered them to be more relevant to this statement :

Especially because before the list of rules it specifically states :

The following apply to staff returning to work:

If you don't have to self isolate and can continue to carry on working as normal, then you would have no reason to 'return to work' (presumably from a period of absence, enforced or otherwise), as you would technically still be at work!

I am more than happy to agree that the wording of the UKHSA update and guidance is ambigous, open to interpretation and in some places contradictory.

On 08/01/2022 at 03:28, whelk said:

What’s up with the Bulgarians?

And what have Portugal done?

8287EB1A-6D4E-4637-9823-32E326A31F0E.jpeg

I think Portugal collectively shit themselves a bit early on in the pandemic when they were getting hit hard. Together with the link to Brazil and it's 'variant', they wised up. (They also were trailing in vaccine supply compared to the rest of Europe for quite a while.) Their Chris Witty/Fauci Covid czar is a kick arse Navy admiral who some are saying could be the next president/pm. Basically, most of Portugal prefer the idea of life, rather than fucktards (that we're blessed with in abundance here in the US) 'researching' conspiracies.

My parents are living in Lisbon on and off, not a bad place to be.

• Like 1