Coronavirus

whelk

3 hours ago, saint1977 said:

Huge issues looming in America, not sure Biden can do a lot with nearly 40% refusing the vaccine and probably 99% of those not even recognising the election result and swallowing the cult of Trump. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-60133618

Omicron is proving as deadly as Delta for the unvaccinated. The higher vaccinated and more educated/professional areas like NYC will have rising cases but milder outcomes as we see largely in the UK. Sad example here but the hospital are taking the right stance, transplants need people to be adopting the right lifestyles and minimising risk to be fair to others on the list https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-60132765. Hard to imagine putting online misinformation ahead of seeing your own kids grow up. 

Sort of, but it's not quite as simple as that. For any individual that gets infected, Omicron has proved to be less deadly than Delta. Being unvaccinated still massively increases the risk posed by Covid, but Omicron poses less of a risk to an unvaccinated person than Delta to an unvaccinated person.

The USA's problem, as you've pointed out, is the lower rates of vaccination, and attitudes towards restrictions, which isn't helped by the reduced risk at an individual level posed by Omicron. They've hampered efforts to curb Covid, and that combined with the massively increased infectivity of Omicron (further increased by the lower vaccination rates) means that in the USA, across the population, Omicron is proving to be as deadly as Delta was, and unfortunately is likely to get worse before it gets better.

What it does show is how important the vaccination programme is. Also that the response to Omicron here was NOT a simple decision. Considering the fatigue against restrictions, and Omicron's ability to spread despite restrictions, the massive vaccine drive and booster programme was probably the key measure that's kept Omicron under control here, so far at least.

23 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Doesnt Trump support the vaccine?

He does, although you'd have to say he does without much enthusiasm. Unfortunately for him it's not a popular position among his supporters.

Donald Trump booed by supporters as he admits having COVID booster jab | US News | Sky News

There does seem to be a Red/Blue divide in uptake of vaccines in the USA, although age seems to be just as big a divide in age looking at the numbers.

The biggest divide on vaccination isn’t race or income but party — and the divide is growing - The Washington Post

A quote from a paramedic who refuses the vaccine ;

"But you can argue that it won't protect them any more whether I have it or not. We all know people who are triple jabbed and they've still got Covid or they've not been jabbed and they haven't got it.

"It's not like the vaccine has eradicated Covid like some vaccines have done in the past so I find the argument for the science a bit weak."

How does he think the 2 viruses that the WHO list as "eradicated", smallpox and rinderpest ( a disease of cattle ), were eliminated if not by mass vaccination ? Also, he fails to understand the concepts that (1) the vaccine might not prevent infection, but will significantly reduce symptoms and the potential for the host to transmit the virus, and (2) younger, healthier, people may well get infected and become onward vectors whilst remaining asymptomatic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

A quote from a paramedic who refuses the vaccine ;

"But you can argue that it won't protect them any more whether I have it or not. We all know people who are triple jabbed and they've still got Covid or they've not been jabbed and they haven't got it.

"It's not like the vaccine has eradicated Covid like some vaccines have done in the past so I find the argument for the science a bit weak."

How does he think the 2 viruses that the WHO list as "eradicated", smallpox and rinderpest ( a disease of cattle ), were eliminated if not by mass vaccination ? Also, he fails to understand the concepts that (1) the vaccine might not prevent infection, but will significantly reduce symptoms and the potential for the host to transmit the virus, and (2) younger, healthier, people may well get infected and become onward vectors whilst remaining asymptomatic.

It’s the bang-bang mentality. Things either work or they don’t. No room for Mr. Inbetween.

On 06/02/2022 at 11:12, Tank said:

dammit why are people clapsing all over the place.

As in applauding? Generally an uplifting gesture unless done sarcastically eg a ref making a poor decision 

Edited by whelk
  • Haha 1

On 06/02/2022 at 11:12, Tank said:

dammit why are people clapsing all over the place.

Assume you mean collapsing?

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/fans-medical-emergeny-stadiums-fulham-b2004017.html

Nothing to do with Covid or Vaccinations - rather the reaction to a medical emergency at sporting events has dramatically changed in the last 10 years. 

• Like 1

There was a 'medical emergency' at the Oxford v Pompey game at the weekend.
However some suggestion is that this involved one of the Oxford staff being involved with one of our nice neighbours from the east.
No doubt some people will put this down as vaccination related rather than the suggested head butt.

• 2 weeks later...

Boris hoping that removing the last constraints will outweigh Partygate in the short memories of the general population. Falling back on "Herd Immunity" -  a concept common in animal husbandry, but one where you accept a proportion of your stock will end up dead.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Boris hoping that removing the last constraints will outweigh Partygate in the short memories of the general population. Falling back on "Herd Immunity" -  a concept common in animal husbandry, but one where you accept a proportion of your stock will end up dead.

I think removing constraints is long over due. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Didn't some of our 'stock' already die?

4 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Perhaps, but the timing now is very convenient.

Yep, it’s great that we’re getting back to normal but the timing looks more to do with Bozo trying to save his skin than based on the science. Who cares if a few extra people die as long as the swivel-eyed loons in his party are happy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Yep, it’s great that we’re getting back to normal but the timing looks more to do with Bozo trying to save his skin than based on the science. Who cares if a few extra people die as long as the swivel-eyed loons in his party are happy.

Disagree with that. The omicron variant has, thankfully, turned out to be the mild, dominant variant we all hoped it’d be. We haven’t got near the worst case scenarios modelled by sage. The anti-viral drugs approved at the back end of 2021 have been in widespread use for a month or two and are really having an effect on serious illness and hospitalisation rates. The vaccination programme has done its job, anyone who wants three jabs has had one.

I don’t know what other triggers we realistically need to wait for. Even the Aussies are letting people back in. The biggest driver in all this is patients in MV beds and the NHS’ ability to cope with their volume. Currently it’s just over 300, the lowest since June, and falling rapidly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Disagree with that. The omicron variant has, thankfully, turned out to be the mild, dominant variant we all hoped it’d be. We haven’t got near the worst case scenarios modelled by sage. The anti-viral drugs approved at the back end of 2021 have been in widespread use for a month or two and are really having an effect on serious illness and hospitalisation rates. The vaccination programme has done its job, anyone who wants three jabs has had one.

I don’t know what other triggers we realistically need to wait for. Even the Aussies are letting people back in. The biggest driver in all this is patients in MV beds and the NHS’ ability to cope with their volume. Currently it’s just over 300, the lowest since June, and falling rapidly.

I agree we should be getting back to normal but it’s hard not to be cynical when we have a compulsive liar in charge.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Even the Queen has swatted it aside and carried on working

4 minutes ago, aintforever said:

I agree we should be getting back to normal but it’s hard not to be cynical when we have a compulsive liar in charge.

Are you suggesting that he should have kept unnecessary restrictions in place, just because it wouldn’t be popular, in order to prove that he isn’t pulling some popularity stunt?

It does amuse me slightly when people who are clearly going to do anything but forget about the parties and scandals, say he’s just doing it so we forget about the parties and scandals.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Are you suggesting that he should have kept unnecessary restrictions in place, just because it wouldn’t be popular, in order to prove that he isn’t pulling some popularity stunt?

Of course not, but likewise he shouldn’t bring it forward just to look like the big hero.

34 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Of course not, but likewise he shouldn’t bring it forward just to look like the big hero.

Forget Boris for a second; is it right - based on the medical and economic needs of the country - that these restrictions end on Thursday, yes or no?

58 minutes ago, aintforever said:

So you think we should be going back to normal but also only think we’re going back to normal because Johnson wants to save his skin. Got it. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I thought we were going back to normal when vaccinations were widely distributed, however that turned out not to be the case. So while things are looking better now, I am pretty sure we will going back into restrictions at some point when another wave travels the globe again. For that reason, I am going to personally continue to mask up regardless, because it might be too late to react once something is spotted it as it tends to be everywhere already

5 minutes ago, Mystic Force said:

I thought we were going back to normal when vaccinations were widely distributed, however that turned out not to be the case. So while things are looking better now, I am pretty sure we will going back into restrictions at some point when another wave travels the globe again. For that reason, I am going to personally continue to mask up regardless, because it might be too late to react once something is spotted it as it tends to be everywhere already

That’s not really true though, we basically did return to normal. Compare the nationwide lockdowns of April 2020 and January 2021, with anything that’s happened since last summer and it’s a completely different story. Even with omicron we had a normal Christmas, shops, bars and schools have pretty much stayed open and the only minor inconveniences have been masks on public transport and isolation for those positive. That was all down to the protection offered by the vaccine.

If you want to continue with the mask it’s your prerogative but I don’t really understand what you’re waiting for. The virus is endemic, it’s not going to disappear. We’ve had our vaccines, we’ve got the anti-virals, the hospital numbers are manageable and trending in the right direction… I don’t really get what you’re waiting for now. It isn’t going to get any better than this.

We will continue to get mutations but they will lack the shock value they had previously because of our inherent immunity and the drugs we have to combat them. Now we can finally say it’ll just be like a bad flu. Covid will ‘steal’ victims from seasonal flu and vice versa, it’ll just become part of daily life.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, whelk said:

Glad to see you have toughened up Lighthouse 😀

😆

Not really TBH, before Christmas we had reason to be cautious and omicron was an unknown quantity. Now we know it’s the variant we’ve been hoping for and we’ve got the anti-virals we can move on with life.

Plus I caught it in an après-ski bar three weeks ago and I was fine, so f**k the rest of you guys.

52 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Forget Boris for a second; is it right - based on the medical and economic needs of the country - that these restrictions end on Thursday, yes or no?

I’m more than happy for restrictions to end Thursday. Wether Boris brought them forward based purely on the science or just to have one of his famous freedom days only those involved in making the decisions would know. You or I certainly don’t.

10 minutes ago, aintforever said:

I’m more than happy for restrictions to end Thursday. Wether Boris brought them forward based purely on the science or just to have one of his famous freedom days only those involved in making the decisions would know. You or I certainly don’t.

But you seem to think it’s the right thing to do, yes?

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

But you’d said “I’m more than happy for restrictions to end” that sounds like someone who agrees with what the government has decided, does it not?

I ditched my masks and tests a while ago. What the government decides should be based purely on what’s best for the publics health going forward. As long as the decision doesn’t have anything to do with the desperate fat bullshitter trying to stay in a job I don’t have an issue at all.

We all know Bozo loves his freedom days to look like billy big bollocks, the other one didn’t end up so well.

18 minutes ago, aintforever said:

If it’s based on the science, yes.

You said you're more than happy for restrictions to end on Thursday but you dislike Boris. That's fair enough and I wouldn't disagree but you can't use something he's done correctly against him. He may well want to be popular and have everyone forget about the Tories' indiscretions but it hasn't impacted this decision in any way so... 

What you're basically arguing is a coin toss whereby; heads - Boris is a w*nker and tails - Boris is a w*nker. The coin toss is an irrelevance as all possibilities default to the same outcome. The coin has no say on your decision.

19 minutes ago, aintforever said:

I ditched my masks and tests a while ago. What the government decides should be based purely on what’s best for the publics health going forward. As long as the decision doesn’t have anything to do with the desperate fat bullshitter trying to stay in a job I don’t have an issue at all.

We all know Bozo loves his freedom days to look like billy big bollocks, the other one didn’t end up so well.

“I agree we should be getting back to normal” your words no one elses. You are “more than happy for restrictions to end” but despite all this still hammering Johnson for doing something you agree with and are happy about. Can you not see how utterly ridiculous, bitter and twisted that sounds? 

12 minutes ago, aintforever said:

You don’t know that for sure, that’s just your opinion.

Okay, I’ll rephrase; whatever Boris may or may not be thinking (which is pointless debating because none of us are Clinton Baptiste) he has arrived at the conclusion, either by luck or judgement, which you personally believe to be correct?