Coronavirus

whelk

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-62307383

"Scientists say there is "compelling evidence" that Wuhan's Huanan seafood and wildlife market was at the centre of the Covid-19 outbreak.

Two peer-reviewed studies published on Tuesday re-examine information from the initial outbreak in the Chinese city.

One of the studies shows that the earliest known cases were clustered around that market.

The other uses genetic information to track the timing of the outbreak.

It suggests there were two variants introduced into humans in November or early December 2019."

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abp8715

"Understanding how severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) emerged in 2019 is critical to preventing zoonotic outbreaks before they become the next pandemic. The Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market in Wuhan, China, was identified as a likely source of cases in early reports but later this conclusion became controversial. We show the earliest known COVID-19 cases from December 2019, including those without reported direct links, were geographically centered on this market. We report that live SARS-CoV-2 susceptible mammals were sold at the market in late 2019 and, within the market, SARS-CoV-2-positive environmental samples were spatially associated with vendors selling live mammals. While there is insufficient evidence to define upstream events, and exact circumstances remain obscure, our analyses indicate that the emergence of SARS-CoV-2 occurred via the live wildlife trade in China, and show that the Huanan market was the epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic."

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abp8337

"Understanding the circumstances that lead to pandemics is important for their prevention. Here, we analyze the genomic diversity of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) early in the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic. We show that SARS-CoV-2 genomic diversity before February 2020 likely comprised only two distinct viral lineages, denoted A and B. Phylodynamic rooting methods, coupled with epidemic simulations, reveal that these lineages were the result of at least two separate cross-species transmission events into humans. The first zoonotic transmission likely involved lineage B viruses around 18 November 2019 (23 October–8 December), while the separate introduction of lineage A likely occurred within weeks of this event. These findings indicate that it is unlikely that SARS-CoV-2 circulated widely in humans prior to November 2019 and define the narrow window between when SARS-CoV-2 first jumped into humans and when the first cases of COVID-19 were reported. As with other coronaviruses, SARS-CoV-2 emergence likely resulted from multiple zoonotic events."

Edited by badgerx16
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

That wouldn’t surprise me. I don’t believe in coincidences and the simplest answer is usually the correct one.

What I find hard to understand is why any institution would start experimenting with a virus without making sure they had a vaccine first.

Well the CCP appear to override common sence sometimes and they certainly don't seem to care about their own population let alone people in

the rest of the World.

14 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

That wouldn’t surprise me. I don’t believe in coincidences and the simplest answer is usually the correct one.

What I find hard to understand is why any institution would start experimenting with a virus without making sure they had a vaccine first.

By its very definition experimenting on a virus would create something that a vaccine is likely to be ineffective on no? You need to know the problem first before developing a solution.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

1 hour ago, farawaysaint said:

By its very definition experimenting on a virus would create something that a vaccine is likely to be ineffective on no? You need to know the problem first before developing a solution.

You need to experiment with a virus in order to develop a vaccine; some vaccinations use whole inert virions, others, like the COVID vaccine, only use a part of the virus - in this case the 'spike protein' by which the virus attaches to cell membranes. Understanding how the virus works is as important as decoding it's structure.

Edited by badgerx16

18 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Letting the virus out into the world is grossly irresponsible. If nothing else they should have been well down the road to understanding the virus andhence producing a vaccine. Otherwise why create such viruses in the first place?

Nature 'created' the virus, it has been around in mammalian populations for centuries. It was not released from a laboratory.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Never had you down as owning a tin foil hat.

All vaccines and all germ warfare variants are based on naturally occuring organisms.  The only question is whether it was a naturally occurring bat virus that unintentionally escaped from Wuhan lab or whether it was a gene edited variant created for some other purpose. It's not tin hat territory. 

Edited by buctootim

4 minutes ago, buctootim said:

All vaccines and all germ warfare variants are based on natural occuring organisms.  The only question is whether it was a naturally occurring bat virus that unintentionally escaped from Wuhan lab or whether it was a gene edited variant created for some other purpose. It's not tin hat territory. 

So, ither way, it got out of the laboratory.

14 minutes ago, buctootim said:

All vaccines and all germ warfare variants are based on naturally occuring organisms.  The only question is whether it was a naturally occurring bat virus that unintentionally escaped from Wuhan lab or whether it was a gene edited variant created for some other purpose. It's not tin hat territory. 

Or it was zoonotically transmitted from another species to humans. This is quite normal, as for instance influenza migrated from water fowl.

Edited by badgerx16

2 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Or it was zoonetically transmitted from another species to humans. This is quite normal, as for instance influenza migrated from water fowl.

Different circumstances. HIV likely came via the bush meat trade in chimps and flu / bird flu via same food route. However bats have never been part of the food chain and never sold at Wuhan wet market. Its much much less likely that a random somewhow contracted it from being in a remote bat cave than researchers in the Wuhan lab were slack with their infection control procedures. The lab was not only known to experiment with bat coronaviruses but was specifically located there because of proximity to the caves and the source of the virus. 

47 minutes ago, buctootim said:

Different circumstances. HIV likely came via the bush meat trade in chimps and flu / bird flu via same food route. However bats have never been part of the food chain and never sold at Wuhan wet market. Its much much less likely that a random somewhow contracted it from being in a remote bat cave than researchers in the Wuhan lab were slack with their infection control procedures. The lab was not only known to experiment with bat coronaviruses but was specifically located there because of proximity to the caves and the source of the virus. 

SARS-Covid-2, whilst predominantly found in bats, has also been found in dogs, cats, pigs, mink, and ferrets, among others. Some of these are probably transmission from humans to other host species, but there is evidence for dogs acting as an intermediate host and passing it on to humans.

I don't think we will ever know with absolute certainty the truth about how it moved to human hosts, lab release or market, but it certainly is not bio-engineered.

Edited by badgerx16

2 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

SARS-Covid-2, whilst predominantly found in bats, has also been found in dogs, cats, pigs, mink, and ferrets, among others.

Your argument is getting desperate. Whilst cases have been found in animals living in close proximity to infected humans, it had never been found before prior to the covid outbreak. 

Wuhan was a new lab, recently opened and the first category 4 lab in China. Everything points to them messing up due to inexperience. The denial of, by far, the most likely source of infection is more characteristic of tin hattery than anything else.    

Just now, buctootim said:

Your argument is getting desperate. Whilst cases have been found in animals living in close proximity to infected humans, it had never been found before prior to the covid outbreak. 

Wuhan was a new lab, recently opened and the first category 4 lab in China. Everything points to them messing up due to inexperience. The denial of, by far, the most likely source of infection is more characteristic of tin hattery than anything else.    

I am not denying the possibility of a lab accident, I don't think we will ever know for certain, and the SCIENCE articles linked previously don't, to me, smell of a cover up.

14 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

I am not denying the possibility of a lab accident, I don't think we will ever know for certain, and the SCIENCE articles linked previously don't, to me, smell of a cover up.

All category 4 labs are controversial. Many people think there are already too many, with around 15 globally creating too many unecessary risks. There was a lot of concern internationally that China did not have sufficient experience to open Wuhan, let alone the other six they also planned to open. The Covid outbreak happened less than a year after they started work on SARS whereas the bats and the live animal food markets have been around for thousands of years.  If China admitted they messed up so soon after opening it would dramatically set back their strategic plans to open their other labs and be a world leader in gene research and engineering  

Edited by buctootim

Perfect timing!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-62322484

Almost one million people in a suburb of Wuhan - China's central city where the coronavirus was first recorded - have been placed under lockdown.

Jiangxia district residents have been ordered to stay inside their homes or compounds for three days after four asymptomatic Covid cases were detected.

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

That is one of the most horrific videos I have ever tried to watch.

It is an affront to nature, I don’t know how anyone could doubt that treating animals like this could result in the spreading of viruses.

A virus escaping from the Wuhan Lab is also plausible though, we will probably never know for sure with China being so secretive but in a way it doesn’t really matter, it is as much China’s fault whichever is true.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

It is an affront to nature, I don’t know how anyone could doubt that treating animals like this could result in the spreading of viruses.

You would be surprised. This is a part of the world where people believe ground up rhino horn gives you... well, a horn. Chinese airlines semi-frequently incur delays from passengers throwing loose change into jet engines for good luck, whilst boarding.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Will you have another vaccine? I’ve just “recovered” from a bout of covid. Last week felt like I was coming down with something which Monday and Tuesday put down to the fact id been away on a 3 day golf weekend which was quite heavy. Tested positive Friday, quite rough at the weekend with something worse than a cold but lot as bad as flu, fine by Tuesday. Given my last jab was in the midst of the panic about omicron so about 11 months ago I must be have zero protection from jabs it seems to me like the risk of heart issues from the jab are more serious now than that of covid itself. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Turkish said:

Will you have another vaccine? I’ve just “recovered” from a bout of covid. Last week felt like I was coming down with something which Monday and Tuesday put down to the fact id been away on a 3 day golf weekend which was quite heavy. Tested positive Friday, quite rough at the weekend with something worse than a cold but lot as bad as flu, fine by Tuesday. Given my last jab was in the midst of the panic about omicron so about 11 months ago I must be have zero protection from jabs it seems to me like the risk of heart issues from the jab are more serious now than that of covid itself. 

I don’t know if under 50s are ever going to be offered a jab through the NHS. There certainly doesn’t seem to be any plans for it. I kept a close eye on it as I travel to Spain a lot, and Spain relied upon an in date (within 1 year) vaccination record as condition of entry. My last jab was December 2021 so I was starting to wonder about it, but on coming to Spain last week they didn’t ask for my certificate at any point, so hopefully that’s something that has now gone away.

I had my second booster on Saturday. After a few hours my arm felt like I had been kicked by a mule and felt a bit meh all day yesterday but fine today. I wasn’t sure whether to bother having another booster but, having avoided covid so far, probably don’t have a great deal of resistance and it is on the increase round here again.

Heard yesterday that on old friend of my parents has just passed away from it. Went into hospital with pneumonia and then contracted covid whilst in hospital and that finished him off. It appears that there are still serious complications to be had from long covid. Despite what MLT says, I think I’d rather take my chances with the vaccine than with the virus.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 07/10/2022 at 06:01, Turkish said:

A lot of us knew from day one that this experimental jab would cause serious issues to millions. 

People still getting it. But now u can fly anywhere with no proof of vaccination or even a test. It was a total sham. 

• Confused 2

13 minutes ago, Gurj said:

A lot of us knew from day one that this experimental jab would cause serious issues to millions. 

People still getting it. But now u can fly anywhere with no proof of vaccination or even a test. It was a total sham. 

Personally I’m astonished at how high house prices are right now, given that this experimental vaccine has killed 20% of the population. There should be entire streets full of empty properties that estate agents can’t give away but there aren’t. I’m just counting my blessings at how incredibly fortunate I’ve been; all these people murdered by our government and not one single person I know, or anyone in their families or any of their friends has been one of them. The worst I’ve heard is a couple of people with a fever and elevated heart rate for the rest of the afternoon.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Personally I’m astonished at how high house prices are right now, given that this killer virus has killed 20% of the population. There should be entire streets full of empty properties that estate agents can’t give away but there aren’t. I’m just counting my blessings at how incredibly fortunate I’ve been; all these people killed by the deadly virus and not one single person I know was one of them or anyone in their families or any of their friends has be. The worst I’ve heard is a couple of people with a fever and elevated heart rate for the rest of the afternoon.

Fixed. 

58 minutes ago, Gurj said:

Fucking medical echo chamber this thread. Luckily some in the know like yourself can give us the inside track

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, whelk said:

Fucking medical echo chamber this thread. Luckily some in the know like yourself can give us the inside track

Why do the free thinkers all trot out the same conspiracy theory whilst the sheeple have a massive range of opinion?  

Edited by buctootim

3 hours ago, Gurj said:

Sadly there are a number of you lot now pushing up daisies just because you thought you knew better than us “sheeple” and refused the vaccine.

Go tell your conspiracy theories to the millions around the world who lost loved ones to covid or those still suffering from the after effects of the virus. No doubt there were people like you going around telling people that the Black Death was a “sham” and nothing but a conspiracy in the Middle Ages too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Sadly there are a number of you lot now pushing up daisies just because you thought you knew better than us “sheeple” and refused the vaccine.

Quite, I've got it right now and still able to generally operate life albeit with a bad sore throat, the MIL is bedridden and hasn't eaten now for 5 days. Guess who had the vaccine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Quite, I've got it right now and still able to generally operate life albeit with a bad sore throat, the MIL is bedridden and hasn't eaten now for 5 days. Guess who had the vaccine.

When did you have it? Most people I know had a vaccine between 10 months to a year ago when there was the omicron panic, remember we were told the vaccine would be very effective for 6 months then start to wain. So if you haven’t had a vaccine in 2022 then you’ve probably got very little or no protection against it.

37 minutes ago, Turkish said:

When did you have it? Most people I know had a vaccine between 10 months to a year ago when there was the omicron panic, remember we were told the vaccine would be very effective for 6 months then start to wain. So if you haven’t had a vaccine in 2022 then you’ve probably got very little or no protection against it.

Those who had the vaccine last year, also cured MonkeyPox

On 07/10/2022 at 14:12, The Kraken said:

I don’t know if under 50s are ever going to be offered a jab through the NHS. There certainly doesn’t seem to be any plans for it. I kept a close eye on it as I travel to Spain a lot, and Spain relied upon an in date (within 1 year) vaccination record as condition of entry. My last jab was December 2021 so I was starting to wonder about it, but on coming to Spain last week they didn’t ask for my certificate at any point, so hopefully that’s something that has now gone away.

i have my 4th on Tuesday, so yes is the answer. 

5 hours ago, Turkish said:

Had my last booster in July. So just within the boundaries. Think I'll grab another booster in December.

8 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

i have my 4th on Tuesday, so yes is the answer. 

To confirm, are you in any of the vulnerable groups or conditions listed on the nhs site? From what I’ve read before it’s people at risk, front line health and care workers, carers etc, it read to me that most under 50s weren’t in line for it in the next tranche.

14 hours ago, The Kraken said:

To confirm, are you in any of the vulnerable groups or conditions listed on the nhs site? From what I’ve read before it’s people at risk, front line health and care workers, carers etc, it read to me that most under 50s weren’t in line for it in the next tranche.

Good point and yes - f**ked lungs, so I'm in the vulnerable group.