Coronavirus

whelk

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I think it's always been 28 days hasn't it? Might be wrong.

But either way those definitions are waffle really, as they have always been. They're not giving the true picture and the media are as guilty for portraying them falsely. 

People will contract this new variant, either in hospital or outside of hospital. Based on those definitions you could be hit by a bus, get taken into hospital for operations on your leg...yet test positive for covid during you stay and thus became a number of patients with COVID in hospital, and that in my eyes is a totally false representation.

Deaths (for any reason!) have always been 28 days, not sure about admissions though.

Wales have declared that all night clubs should close from Boxing Day, ergo they've clearly determined that night clubs are dangerous places that allow the virus to spread easily.

Not sure I understand the logic in that decision!  Given that the week before Christmas is usually the busiest (in terms of Xmas parties, nightclub visits for people who wouldn't normally go there), surely the logical thing to do would be to close them now to restrict the spread rather than wait another full week - maybe they've been taking tips from the Boris school of virus management! - or have they summarised that the spread won't really be that bad until after Xmas, despite the figures suggesting that cases are rising exponentially day on day....

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Deaths (for any reason!) have always been 28 days, not sure about admissions though.

That's the one I was thinking of then.

But either way, the definitions are seriously skewed and are open to massive media manipulation. (and government manipulation).

8 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

What are you worrying about?

🤣 Maybe just the fact that there's too many people happy to surrender basic human rights and do as they're told when they're told because a bunch of proven corrupt liars tells them so. Jesus I'm sick to death of it. Get on with your lives and grow a pair. All these governments and world leaders don't give a fuck about people when they're starting wars over oil money and innocent people getting killed left right and centre but they are suddenly looking out for everyone by controlling them because of something that has a ridiculously small death rate

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Wales have declared that all night clubs should close from Boxing Day, ergo they've clearly determined that night clubs are dangerous places that allow the virus to spread easily.

Not sure I understand the logic in that decision!  Given that the week before Christmas is usually the busiest (in terms of Xmas parties, nightclub visits for people who wouldn't normally go there), surely the logical thing to do would be to close them now to restrict the spread rather than wait another full week - maybe they've been taking tips from the Boris school of virus management! - or have they summarised that the spread won't really be that bad until after Xmas, despite the figures suggesting that cases are rising exponentially day on day....

I guess they feel that they have to give notice, that's why there is always a gap from when it's announced to when it actually happens. It doesn't help it make any sense though, I agree. 

What also doesn't make any sense are the calls from Sturgeon for everyone to 'stay at home', yet she'll happily encourage hundreds and hundreds of people to queue round the block in the cold, in big crowds, not distanced, in order to get a jab. 

Don't go to B&M though.

3 hours ago, kevdoh said:

🤣 Maybe just the fact that there's too many people happy to surrender basic human rights and do as they're told when they're told because a bunch of proven corrupt liars tells them so. Jesus I'm sick to death of it. Get on with your lives and grow a pair. All these governments and world leaders don't give a fuck about people when they're starting wars over oil money and innocent people getting killed left right and centre but they are suddenly looking out for everyone by controlling them because of something that has a ridiculously small death rate

So you haven't got anything to worry about. You are just annoyed that people aren't doing what you want them to do. Instead they are getting on with their lives in the way that they see fit, doing what they want to do.

On 16/12/2021 at 23:00, kevdoh said:

If we didn't have TVs or radio nobody would know any different last year or two. The whole thing has been bollocks from day 1

It's okay with no TV or radio. When you get ill and can barely breathe, a doctor will turn up and put leaches on you to draw out the illness and possibly draw a little black circle on your hand. Prick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

It's okay with no TV or radio. When you get ill and can barely breathe, a doctor will turn up and put leaches on you to draw out the illness and possibly draw a little black circle on your hand. Prick.

I'm sure I'll be fine. I'd be more concerned about getting cancer and not getting the appropriate treatment because the hospitals are too busy saving the world from a virus that has less chance of killing me than crossing a road. And I'm the prick 🤣

12 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

So you haven't got anything to worry about. You are just annoyed that people aren't doing what you want them to do. Instead they are getting on with their lives in the way that they see fit, doing what they want to do.

Doing what they want to do? Or doing as they're told by some of the most bent people on the planet?

3 minutes ago, kevdoh said:

I'm sure I'll be fine. I'd be more concerned about getting cancer and not getting the appropriate treatment because the hospitals are too busy saving the world from a virus that has less chance of killing me than crossing a road. And I'm the prick 🤣

You are the prick, the best chance people have of surviving cancer is if the pressure is taken of the NHS by limiting the spread of COVID.

• Like 1

Feels like sage are losing the plot to be honest. Seems as though they're so worried about it turning out they should've recommended a lock down but didn't, they now go into panic mode every time anything happens and making ridiculous worst case predictions.

Remember in early/mid October they were crapping themselves about rising cases and throwing around scary numbers?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/oct/22/act-early-on-rising-uk-covid-cases-rise-or-face-harsher-measures-experts-warn

What happened then? People in hospital went up from about 7000 to about 9000, hardly worth the panic was it! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, aintforever said:

You are the prick, the best chance people have of surviving cancer is if the pressure is taken of the NHS by limiting the spread of COVID.

The pricks are the people who still hang on every word they're told by the government who were doing what the fuck they wanted the whole time through the lockdowns while the majority cancelled plans and didn't see friends and family. And they still trust the gash they come out with. It's the same people that rushed out buying every last drip of fuel because the media fooled them into thinking there were shortages when it was all lies. Not enough people in this world with any critical thinking skills. Do what you want but I'm not going to live my life scared of my own shadow

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, kevdoh said:

The pricks are the people who still hang on every word they're told by the government who were doing what the fuck they wanted the whole time through the lockdowns while the majority cancelled plans and didn't see friends and family. And they still trust the gash they come out with. It's the same people that rushed out buying every last drip of fuel because the media fooled them into thinking there were shortages when it was all lies. Not enough people in this world with any critical thinking skills. Do what you want but I'm not going to live my life scared of my own shadow

The media just reported what was happening, it was the ‘critical thinking’ of a bunch of fuck-wits that led to them thinking it would run out. The government message then was a clear, just buy petrol as you normally would.

36 minutes ago, buctootim said:

My gf just texted me. She got called in to a full covid ward to help out. Rate of admissions really starting to pick up, at least in Brighton. Omnicrom may not be mild….

Feels like Omicron was a massive earthquake out at sea and a load of people have gone to the beach to see if there’s a tsunami or not.

46 minutes ago, buctootim said:

My gf just texted me. She got called in to a full covid ward to help out. Rate of admissions really starting to pick up, at least in Brighton. Omnicrom may not be mild….

How do you reach that conclusion?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59711474

A major incident has been declared in London and more than 10,000 new Omicron cases have been confirmed in the UK, as the variant surges across the country.

A further 90,418 daily Covid cases have been reported across the UK on Saturday, after days of record highs.

There's no doubt that cases are rising - and no doubt hospitalisations will rise, especially for those that aren't vaccinated.

However, if 90k new positive cases were reported and 10k of those are Omicron, it stands to reason that the other 80k are NOT Omicron.  It could well turn out that Omicron IS mild but the hospitalisations are being driven by the other variants....

Too early to jump to conclusions either way at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

How do you reach that conclusion?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59711474

There's no doubt that cases are rising - and no doubt hospitalisations will rise, especially for those that aren't vaccinated.

However, if 90k new positive cases were reported and 10k of those are Omicron, it stands to reason that the other 80k are NOT Omicron.  It could well turn out that Omicron IS mild but the hospitalisations are being driven by the other variants....

Too early to jump to conclusions either way at the moment.

It’s early enough that different parts of the country are at different stages of Omicron.

Where it has had a (very) little more time to spread it’s very quickly become the dominant variant. This will repeat everywhere.

Also data on variants takes more time to process, it’s not that the other 80k are confirmed to not be Omicron, it’s that we haven’t confirmed how many are Omicron yet.

2 hours ago, buctootim said:

Meanwhile Covid admissions going down in Soton General...

3 hours ago, aintforever said:

The media just reported what was happening, it was the ‘critical thinking’ of a bunch of fuck-wits that led to them thinking it would run out. The government message then was a clear, just buy petrol as you normally would.

One for the conspiracy theorists. Media control is an anagram of Delta Omicron.  (sorry if this has been pointed out before)

13 minutes ago, The Cat said:

All I can tell you is RSCH Brighton has 40 patients being treated for covid right now including 18 in a dedicated red ward (emergency response). That compares to around 6 and no red ward earlier in the year 

Edited by buctootim

8 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

So you think you are the only one who can think for themselves. You're special but not that kind of special

No not the only one. But the only hope is the other people that can other than cunts like you lapping up the BBC news . The same BBC that covered up peados for decades . Bet you still pay you're TV licence you wet cunt

8 hours ago, The Left Back said:

Meanwhile Covid admissions going down in Soton General...

One for the conspiracy theorists. Media control is an anagram of Delta Omicron.  (sorry if this has been pointed out before)

Shouldnt it be consistent across areas if its a conspiracy? because currently its almost as if a whole range of factors are at work. 

7 hours ago, kevdoh said:

No not the only one. But the only hope is the other people that can other than cunts like you lapping up the BBC news . The same BBC that covered up peados for decades . Bet you still pay you're TV licence you wet cunt

Ok, here's some non-bbc news for you, there are loads of people who think for themsleves, they just end up with a different conclusion to you. That's ok isn't it? 

You are ticking a load of boxes; covid denial, anti-vac, anti-BBC, left wing paedos, media control. How come you 'free thinkers' all think the same?

Edited by Fan The Flames
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, kevdoh said:

Covered up peados [SIC] did they? And it’s ‘your’.  All you sorts fall into the same uneducated group. Does grabbing on to conspiracies help you with your insecurities of being a thick cunt?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

Ok, here's some non-bbc news for you, there are loads of people who think for themsleves, they just end up with a different conclusion to you. That's ok isn't it? 

You are ticking a load of boxes; covid denial, anti-vac, anti-BBC, left wing paedos, media control. How come you 'free thinkers' all think the same?

You missed off two other ticks - Biden stole the election and climate change is a hoax. The right wing in this country and especially in America really is falling apart.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, kevdoh said:

Because Covid only exists on the BBC :lol:

• Like 2

Some good news from the work of Professor Gupta and team:

1. Omicron Spike protein mediates deficient cell entry and is inefficiently cleaved compared to Delta spike. We tested viral entry mediated by Wild Type, Delta and Omicron spikes using a pseudotyped virus system, infecting primary 3D lung alveolar organoids.
2. Omicron Spike protein induces relatively poor cell-cell fusion compared to WT and Delta. We expressed spike in cells stably expressing split GFP, so that Green signal could be measured over time upon cell-cell fusion and syncitia formation. The difference is significant.
3. What does this all mean? Efficient infection of lung cells could correlate with severity of lung disease. Syncitia or fused cells are often seen in respiratory tissues taken following severe disease. Delta was very good at both, in contrast to Omicron. Further work is needed.

4. We also tested how well antibodies from vaccinated individuals neutralised Omicron v Delta. We found that Omicron was poorly neutralised after two doses of mRNA or Ad vectored vaccine compared to Delta, but that the third dose (mRNA vaccine) rescued this at an early time point.

5. In summary this work suggests that Omicron does appear to have become more immune evasive, but that properties associated with disease progression *may* be attenuated to some extent. The significant growth of Omicron nevertheless represents a major public health challenge.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I just heard on the radio news that civil servants are coming up with three options for further covid restrictions. I suspect they will be something like;

Option 1 ) Christmas parties restricted to 30 people in each room of the office suite.

Option 2 ) A restriction of 20 people in each room. with others joining a quiz via Zoom, whilst the boss and his mistress 'get it on' further along the corridor.

Option 3 ) Weather permitting, a garden party with unrestricted numbers in groups of 6 when seated around tables, or unlimited numbers standing around together with drinkies and nibbles.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Doctoroncall said:

Some good news from the work of Professor Gupta and team:

1. Omicron Spike protein mediates deficient cell entry and is inefficiently cleaved compared to Delta spike. We tested viral entry mediated by Wild Type, Delta and Omicron spikes using a pseudotyped virus system, infecting primary 3D lung alveolar organoids.
2. Omicron Spike protein induces relatively poor cell-cell fusion compared to WT and Delta. We expressed spike in cells stably expressing split GFP, so that Green signal could be measured over time upon cell-cell fusion and syncitia formation. The difference is significant.
3. What does this all mean? Efficient infection of lung cells could correlate with severity of lung disease. Syncitia or fused cells are often seen in respiratory tissues taken following severe disease. Delta was very good at both, in contrast to Omicron. Further work is needed.

4. We also tested how well antibodies from vaccinated individuals neutralised Omicron v Delta. We found that Omicron was poorly neutralised after two doses of mRNA or Ad vectored vaccine compared to Delta, but that the third dose (mRNA vaccine) rescued this at an early time point.

5. In summary this work suggests that Omicron does appear to have become more immune evasive, but that properties associated with disease progression *may* be attenuated to some extent. The significant growth of Omicron nevertheless represents a major public health challenge.

Thank you for posting some actual initial findings and areas for further research from people who are actually qualified to comment sensibly. Unlike the passports thread in the main forum which looks like The Sun’s letters page on a bad day, full of opinions and bold assertions with no scientific basis. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Twice as many daily tests equals twice as many daily positives. Is anybody surprised?

It's interesting that our % of positive tests remains pretty low in comparison to many other countries.  Up to 17th December we were knocking around 4.5% and Germany were nearly 20% so it's pretty clear that Germany have a lot of cases that don't go detected.  South Africa is even worse at over 30% and makes comparisons really hard.  I think Tim Spector estimates that we're probably getting around 200, 000 cases a day (including those that are reported) so those other countries are probably getting far more than that.  I suspect this week will be particularly difficult to draw many conclusions from as people will drastically alter their behaviour to avoid spoiling Christmas + lots simply won't take a test to avoid isolating.

• Like 1