Coronavirus

whelk

2 minutes ago, aintforever said:

For a government getting slated for taking the piss out of COVID restrictions, surely there couldn’t be a worse diversionary tactic than putting more restrictions on the general public?

Takes the discussion away from that so it's got diversion written all over it for me. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

How does imposing restrictions take the discussion away from breaking restrictions? 

Because these are different (new) restrictions and give people something else to discuss. 

• Like 1

Just now, Lighthouse said:

Bingo. I see a lot of people who are clearly anything but distracted saying, "this is a distraction!"

Have you seen the headlines & lead stories of most media outlets today. What do you think they will be tomorrow? Spoiler alert, probably something to do with new restrictions, not christmas parties in downing street. That's kind of how these things work.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, egg said:

Takes the discussion away from that so it's got diversion written all over it for me. 

Did you watch the press conference? It’s the same subject, the main theme of the questioning was what effect their partying would have on the public’s compliance with new restrictions.

1 minute ago, aintforever said:

Did you watch the press conference? It’s the same subject, the main theme of the questioning was what effect their partying would have on the public’s compliance with new restrictions.

Yep, great that they aren't letting them off the hook, but tomorrows headlines wont be about christmas parties in Downing Street will they, which is exactly what they want.

• Like 3

Just now, aintforever said:

Todays restrictions are exactly that. Last year's breaches are exactly that. Of course the two overlap, but I think you have to be rather naive to think that the intention and timing of this announcement was not to some extent motivated by a wish to create a diversion. Whether that works is another matter, but I'm quite clear that was part of the motivation. Others can disagree, umpteen pages of you're wrong / I'm right ain't going to change my view, and doubtless yours, ducks, Lighthouse, etc 

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Storm Barra is a distraction from JWP's awful cross-field pass. Doesn't mean anyone is going to just forget about it.

Who said they would? 

A shit attempt at deflection doesn't alter the intent. 

1 minute ago, egg said:

Todays restrictions are exactly that. Last year's breaches are exactly that. Of course the two overlap, but I think you have to be rather naive to think that the intention and timing of this announcement was not to some extent motivated by a wish to create a diversion. Whether that works is another matter, but I'm quite clear that was part of the motivation. Others can disagree, umpteen pages of you're wrong / I'm right ain't going to change my view, and doubtless yours, ducks, Lighthouse, etc 

These restrictions will cost the economy a fortune, I hate Johnson as much as the next guy but not even I think he would impose them as some bizarre plan to change a couple of day’s headlines.

These restrictions will cost the economy a fortune, I hate Johnson as much as the next guy but not even I think he would impose them as some bizarre plan to change a couple of day’s headlines.

why will it cost the economy a fortune?

4 minutes ago, egg said:

Who said they would? 

A shit attempt at deflection doesn't alter the intent. 

It's so sh*t that it was clearly only ever going to look lame and cynical. Boris and his spin doctors would have known that and if anything I'd say it's somewhat unfortunate for them. Given choice they probably would have preferred to wait until next week so it DOESN'T look like a sh*te attempt at a diversion.

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

It's so sh*t that it was clearly only ever going to look lame and cynical. Boris and his spin doctors would have known that and if anything I'd say it's somewhat unfortunate for them. Given choice they probably would have preferred to wait until next week so it DOESN'T look like a sh*te attempt at a diversion.

They did have a choice, even his own party were saying to wait for more data. But no, Boris wanted to push on with his hastily arranged press conference. 

Edited by Turkish

8 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Really? He'd sacrifice anything or anyone to save his ass. 

Agreed re the economy impact. Its the panic that it'll cause amongst many - I've had messages cancelling 2 Xmas parties this evening. No covid cases, no restrictions, just an injection of doubt. Shame for people happy to crack on with life, and awful for the restaurants and supply chain. 

• Like 1

I know this is typical exaggerated Daily Fail crap but there will be a cost:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10287979/New-Covid-restrictions-cost-UK-economy-4bn-month.html

Funny how people quote "the Daily Fail" when it suits then but when it doesn't it's right wing, racist, scaremongering scum paper

Edited by Turkish

4 hours ago, revolution saint said:

It's not really madness though, is it?  It's potentially saving lives.  Seems to me to be perfect sense to take some precautionary measures until we know whether this strain is as dangerous (or more) than delta.  There isn't enough data yet to know whether it is or not but there is enough data to suggest it's more transmissible. Really depends on what restrictions they impose, for how long and what they hope to achieve by them.  Hopefully it is mild, or less severe but we haven't had it around long enough to know yet - something like only 6% of South Africa is over 65 so you wouldn't necessarily expect to see much severe disease over there anyway because of their age profile.

Unless there’s a corresponding drop off in harm, the spike in transmissibility will surely  lead to more hospitalizations. Given nhs doctors have been pretty clear they are already struggling due to combination of winter/Covid/backlog that requires. Really this action should have come sooner. 

1 hour ago, egg said:

It is aintclever you’re replying too. 

11 hours ago, Turkish said:

Have you seen the headlines & lead stories of most media outlets today. What do you think they will be tomorrow? Spoiler alert, probably something to do with new restrictions, not christmas parties in downing street. That's kind of how these things work.

I don't think the party stories are going away just yet

https://news.sky.com/story/sundays-national-newspaper-front-pages-12427754

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

So the guy Boris has assigned to check if what he’s saying is true to investigate  if the party happened was there himself. You can’t make this up 🤣🤣🤣

It's mental isn't it. I'm not sure whether Boris is running on his own ideas, or he's being advised by idiots.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, trousers said:

20211209_104236.jpg

Who cares if the shagaholic adulterer fathers another sprog. He obviously isn't buying in to the concept of over-population, what makes him think his genes are so special ? As Jeremy Kyle would tell him " put something on the end of it".

Edited by badgerx16

7 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Who cares if the shagaholic adulterer fathers another sprog. He obviously isn't buying in to the concept of over-population, what makes him think his genes are so special ? As Jeremy Kyle would tell him " put something on the end of it".

It seems the thing he is putting on the end of it is posh blondes with very little sense or taste in men...

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

They’re jumped the friggin shark now. 

A35BD29D-0E3C-4ADB-889C-526991777E8B.jpeg

Further down that thread ; "I also understand only 3 ministers spoke in favour of Plan B now during Cabinet yesterday. One senior Tory MP just now: “I’m not having all our lives fucked up by these fucking halfwits again just to dig themselves out of their own fucking mess”. "

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Although there’s clearly an element of distraction from Conservative implosion - and helpful timing for Murdoch with the Sienna Miller debacle - there are some very serious hospital capacity issues building up added to normal winter pressures. If Omicron lets rip, this is going to get messy. 

I’m 5 minutes from a fairly big hospital in an area battling hard to get booster numbers up, with lower 1st and vaccine numbers and ambulances have been queuing up to get in with emergency patients where the wards and the ICU is apparently full of unvaccinated patients with COVID complications (through contacts working there). There are social, educational and income divides on who is choosing to take vaccines, although not being an notably diverse area we don’t have the issues with lower take up that others do as an additional demand increasing factor. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saint1977 said:

Although there’s clearly an element of distraction from Conservative implosion - and helpful timing for Murdoch with the Sienna Miller debacle - there are some very serious hospital capacity issues building up added to normal winter pressures. If Omicron lets rip, this is going to get messy. 

I’m 5 minutes from a fairly big hospital in an area battling hard to get booster numbers up, with lower 1st and vaccine numbers and ambulances have been queuing up to get in with emergency patients where the wards and the ICU is apparently full of unvaccinated patients with COVID complications (through contacts working there). There are social, educational and income divides on who is choosing to take vaccines, although not being an notably diverse area we don’t have the issues with lower take up that others do as an additional demand increasing factor. 

I have a relative who works in a major hospital in the Midlands. She reckons the ICU in her hospital is full of the 'Unvaccinated and the Fat'...(her words)

3 hours ago, The Cat said:

I tend to find that this vaccine scientist on twitter has the best information about covid. She updates regularly and cuts straight through the panic and agendas reported in the media.

Well worth a read. Here's her latest thread.

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1468985784338366468?t=9XqCzFH5aQURcfzAUSNbeQ&s=19

Yeah, I've followed her. There is also a Dr on YouTube (Dr John Campbell) who is also very knowledge and offers really fair views I find.

In terms of where I sit at the moment, I've had two vaccinations and I'm not really keen on any form of booster. My story of vaccination has been quite a troublesome one.

1st Jab - woke up in the middle of the night, cold sweats, shaking from every part of my body. Felt like a seizure, but it wasn't. I then did faint and tests did reveal heart related spikes, which have gone now. So luckily I was ok, but it shook me up. I'm a fully fit, young guy with no underlying issues. Previous to my jab I'd just been given the seal of approval my by doctor for having a 'remarkable blood pressure'.

2nd Jab - Maybe I was daft going for the 2nd given my experience of the first, but I did. Sadly it was still a bit shit. They didn't aspirate correctly, it got caught in a vain when they took it out and blood went everywhere. Literally squirted. It didn't even seem like the guy knew what he was doing. Ruined a pair of jeans and left a nasty bruise/bump for weeks on my arm.

So I think I'm well within my right to steer well clear of any third jab. If that means I lose my job, I'll lose my job. If that means I get shut of of society then so be it. Given what happened to me on the first two I think people would appreciate my hesitancy.

9 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah, I've followed her. There is also a Dr on YouTube (Dr John Campbell) who is also very knowledge and offers really fair views I find.

In terms of where I sit at the moment, I've had two vaccinations and I'm not really keen on any form of booster. My story of vaccination has been quite a troublesome one.

1st Jab - woke up in the middle of the night, cold sweats, shaking from every part of my body. Felt like a seizure, but it wasn't. I then did faint and tests did reveal heart related spikes, which have gone now. So luckily I was ok, but it shook me up. I'm a fully fit, young guy with no underlying issues. Previous to my jab I'd just been given the seal of approval my by doctor for having a 'remarkable blood pressure'.

2nd Jab - Maybe I was daft going for the 2nd given my experience of the first, but I did. Sadly it was still a bit shit. They didn't aspirate correctly, it got caught in a vain when they took it out and blood went everywhere. Literally squirted. It didn't even seem like the guy knew what he was doing. Ruined a pair of jeans and left a nasty bruise/bump for weeks on my arm.

So I think I'm well within my right to steer well clear of any third jab. If that means I lose my job, I'll lose my job. If that means I get shut of of society then so be it. Given what happened to me on the first two I think people would appreciate my hesitancy.

Crikey, that's not nice. No wonder you aren't interested in a booster with those experiences.

What vaccine did you have for the first two? I wonder if it would make any difference if you had a different one for the booster.

4 hours ago, The Cat said:

I tend to find that this vaccine scientist on twitter has the best information about covid. She updates regularly and cuts straight through the panic and agendas reported in the media.

Well worth a read. Here's her latest thread.

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1468985784338366468?t=9XqCzFH5aQURcfzAUSNbeQ&s=19

Thanks for that Cat

54 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I know he'll always wear a mask, but Michael Myers really shouldn't be giving out injections.

Ghastly experiences, and I'm glad you're okay.

10 hours ago, The Cat said:

Crikey, that's not nice. No wonder you aren't interested in a booster with those experiences.

What vaccine did you have for the first two? I wonder if it would make any difference if you had a different one for the booster.

I had the Astra-Zeneca for the first two, funnily enough just after my second they decided to stop giving it to my age range due to the complications!

So I'd probably have Pfizer for any booster, or moderna.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I had the Astra-Zeneca for the first two, funnily enough just after my second they decided to stop giving it to my age range due to the complications!

So I'd probably have Pfizer for any booster, or moderna.

You will have one of those for the booster.

Have a word with your GP about your experience and what to expect if you go for a booster. 

14 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Reminds me of the first time I went to give blood many moons ago. As I got to the door of the centre the doors swung open as an ambulance crew were carting out someone who'd collapsed after donating their pint. I was nervous before that but that just put the tin hat on it! Fortunately everything went well and I've donated many times since!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Blimey! That takes a special skill to find a vein up there. It's an intramuscular injection normally given in the upper arm.

My wife reacts to any inection and after each of her first two AZ ones whe felt a bit unusual for a couple of days but her third was a Pfizer and she had no reaction to that whatsoever.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

• Like 1