Coronavirus

whelk

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

If this is all about fear and control, why are all our favourite crackpot dictators the ones downplaying it so much? China, last time I check, had a rather hilarious official death toll of around 5,000. Russia are keeping it all hush hush, no crisis here, uncle Vlad has everything under control. Bolsonaro (okay he’s elected but he’s a fascist crackpot) saying everything’s fine, no need for restrictions, crack on. North Korea - nope doesn’t exist, we have zero cases.

No, it’s the west European liberal democracies, they’re the ones desperate for absolute control.

they already have control, democracies dont?

13 hours ago, RedArmy said:

Congratulations to whoever had Botswana in the scariant sweepstake. 

worst one yet

more transmissible than delta

vaccine may not work

10 Cases so far but horrific number of mutations

it’s the same rhetoric again 

🤣🤣

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/botswana-variant-covid-mutations-spike-b1963950.html

Edited by Turkish

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

worst one yet

more transmissible than delta

vaccine may not work

10 Cases so far but horrific number of mutations

it’s the same rhetoric again 

🤣🤣

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/botswana-variant-covid-mutations-spike-b1963950.html

If it's less deadly it's a good thing. If it's worse we might be in trouble. 

15 hours ago, aintforever said:

You get the feeling we’re going to regret not sending more vaccines out to poorer countries. Just have to hope it doesn’t mutate enough to render the vaccines ineffective.

When the vaccines were first produced, the companies involved claimed they could be easily adapted within a matter of weeks to account for new variants. You would hope and expect they're already all over this..

When the vaccines were first produced, the companies involved claimed they could be easily adapted within a matter of weeks to account for new variants. You would hope and expect they're already all over this..

Which is all well and good.

Creating the vaccine may only take a matter of weeks.  Putting it into the arms of the population takes considerably longer.  I'd imagine the dropout from the public for another vaccine would be huge...

2 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Which is all well and good.

Creating the vaccine may only take a matter of weeks.  Putting it into the arms of the population takes considerably longer.  I'd imagine the dropout from the public for another vaccine would be huge...

I would imagine the older and at risk segment of the population wouldn't object at all, as they don't with their annual flu jabs. I would also imagine we'll see an increase in off the shelf, oral medication which you will be able to take at home without medical assistance, which will help mediate the situation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whelk said:

They like to get people excited. Seems to work

Odd isn’t it. The source of the story was a routine surveillance report which contained  no drama no panic.  The media sex it up into a click bait story, then those who click on it wail about scientists manipulating them.

Spoiler alert. There will be new covid variants emerging for years if not perpetuity just like new flu virus variants are constantly emerging. That’s what viruses do. If thats too exciting, best focus on something else.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, buctootim said:

Odd isn’t it. The source of the story was a routine surveillance report which contained  no drama no panic.  The media sex it up into a click bait story, then those who click on it wail about scientists manipulating them.

Spoiler alert. There will be new covid variants emerging for years if not perpetuity just like new flu virus variants are constantly emerging. That’s what viruses do. If thats too exciting, best focus on something else.  

Exactly.

49 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Tiss and Lambert are on the vaccine/heart attack theory like rats on a ham sandwich. 🙄 Why did it have to be them of all our ex. players. If it had just been Craig Maskell and Zoltan Liptak, I wouldn't have cared.

Rent free 

3 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Tiss and Lambert are on the vaccine/heart attack theory like rats on a ham sandwich. 🙄 Why did it have to be them of all our ex. players. If it had just been Craig Maskell and Zoltan Liptak, I wouldn't have cared.

It would explain things.  I've had three doses of the vaccines this year and sure enough nine years ago I had a heart attack. 

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

It would explain things.  I've had three doses of the vaccines this year and sure enough nine years ago I had a heart attack. 

Gah! Bloomin' time travellers picking up on the vaccine microchips in the present to give us health issues in the past!

Just like those sneaky future people... 🙂

I guess I'll just have to risk feeling foolish ignoring Tiss' concerns, when I scoot along for my booster jab.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, SalmonSi said:

I guess you all think this is totally true also don't you. Variant after variant after variant. Making all your previously useless Vaccines even more useless so nbext year they can sell you another one, with another booster. Can you honestly not see this? You really believe in all these variants? It is mind boggling humans can be this easily suckered. 

They’re free 

1 hour ago, SalmonSi said:

If you are nor prepared to read anything other than that which confirms your own opinions and feelings then you are indeed a total loss. We only learn from examining all angles, but you will sadly never know that are venture into that. 

You're just reading guff from other twats on Facebook and watching videos of the same twats uploading shite on YouTube.

We all know you are not, in any way, "examining all angles".

Just the warm, comforting blanket of fellow conspiracy idiots telling you want you want to hear.

You be you x x x 

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, SalmonSi said:

LOL, I have posted nothing from social media, only factual studies that you refuse to read. So who is the one listening to what they want you to hear? LOL

You've posted a "factual study" that backs up this assertion below have you?

I guess you all think this is totally true also don't you. Variant after variant after variant. Making all your previously useless Vaccines even more useless so nbext year they can sell you another one, with another booster. Can you honestly not see this? You really believe in all these variants? It is mind boggling humans can be this easily suckered. 

There's a factual, peer reviewed paper (or multiple papers) that set out with verified sources that all the variants don't exist and that every nation on the planet are being "suckered" into believing it. You have factual studies on this do you?

Look mate, you're mentally ill. It's fine. People can help you. 

Remember that you are loved, and if you let people in, you can love others. Go well x x

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

As the saying goes "10 billion sperm, and you were the lucky one".

• Haha 1

With regard to the comment about 'variant after variant' isnt this the nature of a virus and the reason why the 'Flu vaccine has to be altered every year?

From childhood, I have had many vaccinations including two Covid, one booster and one 'Flu this year and seem to be functioning pretty well.

Worst I have ever felt was when I ate some dodgy chicken but that could have been the fault of Bill Gates or perhaps wasnt chicken at all but a shape shifting lizard that I consumed.

Incidentally I read something recently that reckoned that tattoo artists are also into the world domination cabal and are injecting poisonous inks into people and this is one of the reasons behind Covid!!

10 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

With regard to the comment about 'variant after variant' isnt this the nature of a virus and the reason why the 'Flu vaccine has to be altered every year?

From childhood, I have had many vaccinations including two Covid, one booster and one 'Flu this year and seem to be functioning pretty well.

Worst I have ever felt was when I ate some dodgy chicken but that could have been the fault of Bill Gates or perhaps wasnt chicken at all but a shape shifting lizard that I consumed.

Incidentally I read something recently that reckoned that tattoo artists are also into the world domination cabal and are injecting poisonous inks into people and this is one of the reasons behind Covid!!

Mutations are also the reason that the Spanish Flu virus is not as deadly as it once was.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SalmonSi said:

You don’t believe viruses mutate. Brilliant! Where did you read that - Facebook? :lol:

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

The Bot variant has made it to Europe.

It's worth noting that people dismissed the Delta variant when it first came out, but that got out of control and flung us back into lockdown big style.

Pleased that the government have red listed SA so quickly, they are learning from previous mistakes.

Yeah, hopefully this isn't as bad.  To be honest, whilst I'm glad that we've reacted quite quickly, I'm not sure it's going to matter much.  If it's already in Belgium than chances are it's already here and if it isn't then it soon will be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Mutations are also the reason that the Spanish Flu virus is not as deadly as it once was.

I only found out the other day that the only reason it got the name 'Spanish flu' is that the press in all the countries involved in WW1 were order to not report and suppress news of the flu - in order supposedly to not undermine the war effort. Spanish press were under no such constraints so reported its existence. Thats how it became dubbed Spanish flu - even though it started and was far more prevalent elsewhere.    

Edited by buctootim

30 minutes ago, buctootim said:

I only found out the other day that the only reason it got the name 'Spanish flu' is that the press in all the countries involved in WW1 were order to not report and suppress news of the flu - in order supposedly to not undermine the war effort. Spanish press were under no such constraints so reported its existence. Thats how it became dubbed Spanish flu - even though it started and was far more prevalent elsewhere.    

Probably started in the USA, the first cases were reported in Kansas.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, SalmonSi said:

You got more bites than I had on the sweepstake, so fair play sir.

Edited by trousers

3 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Probably started in the USA, the first cases were reported in Kansas.

It was and the soldiers who were in camp there travelled across the US to join a troop ship and the infection spread round the ship like wildfire and then the process continued when the troops  disembarked in Europe.
Spain was neutral in WW1 and their press was free to report the pandemic hence the 'Spanish Flu' reference.
Read an interesting report that in 1919 when the Flu epidemic really took hold certain US states required masks to be worn.
However many smokers cut holes in their masks so there was an entry point for their cigarettes!!

11 hours ago, SalmonSi said:

What a freak.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Yeah, hopefully this isn't as bad.  To be honest, whilst I'm glad that we've reacted quite quickly, I'm not sure it's going to matter much.  If it's already in Belgium than chances are it's already here and if it isn't then it soon will be.

One thing we have always done well at in this country is the surveillance of such pathogens and I'm not talking about Facebook variants.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-59405471.amp

11% of people making up 75% of hospital admissions. They all couldn’t get sick because they’re young, healthy, did their own research and trust their immune system, obviously.

But they sure as hell won’t be collapsing playing football or giving up their MacBooks anytime soon

On 26/11/2021 at 12:00, SalmonSi said:

LOL, I have posted nothing from social media, only factual studies that you refuse to read. So who is the one listening to what they want you to hear? LOL

To be fair there is a historical context to 'Anti Vaxxers' like yourself and others.

When the smallpox vaccination was made compulsory for infants in 1853 and extended to under 14's in 1867 there were demonstrations, as there are now, with coffins, banners and effigies of Edward Jenner burnt by the demonstrators.

The Church of England considered the process unsafe, immoral and against God's will.

All this occurred at time when there was an increasing mistrust of the ruling elite.

The mistrust of smallpox vaccination subsequently reared it's head in the USA even though sanitary arrangements for inoculation had improved considerably since the original risky but effective procedures were introduced by Jenner.

It is reckoned that the introduction of small pox vaccination saved the lives of millions of people in the 19th & 20th centuries as smallpox was such a rampant disease.

Similar concerns and protests attended the introduction of the polio vaccine in the early 1950's but, post war, dissent was not so pronounced and most of us have benefitted from the polio vaccination programme.

The more recent anti vaxx movement has been spawned from the discredited research by Andrew Wakefield into the MMR vaccination programme.

Andrew Wakefield 'research' has been taken as gospel primarily by some groups in the US who refuse to allow their children to have the MMR jab.

As a consequence there has recently been outbreaks of measles in some southern US states after the disease had been more or less eradicated. 

So there has been a history of concern about vaccinations.

However in the vast majority of cases the benefits have proved to far outweighed the drawbacks.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

It is reckoned that the introduction of small pox vaccination saved the lives of millions of people in the 19th & 20th centuries

So, what you're saying is, there's a good chance certain posters on here are only alive today, and able to spout nonsense on an internet football forum, because their ancestors had a vaccine to combat a pandemic? Funny old game... ;)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, egg said:

Yep, "in you come, and do a little test when you get a chance". Crazy. 

I can’t really think of a more practical solution to it all. Up until now the delta variant has been dominant worldwide, so a bloke bringing it in from Bolivia is no different to catching it from a bloke in Turtle Bay. 

8 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I can’t really think of a more practical solution to it all. Up until now the delta variant has been dominant worldwide, so a bloke bringing it in from Bolivia is no different to catching it from a bloke in Turtle Bay. 

The Dutch managed it. 

Unfortunately this one, Omicron, has the potential to be bad. We’re at a stage where strong measures against it aren’t going to be accepted by the public until a significant effect is seen from it, at which point a far bigger response is needed. Looks like it’s going to be similar to when Delta started taking hold, this time our relatively highly vaccinated population is likely to help us a lot in avoiding serious disease, but it’s likely anyone unvaccinated is going to end up coming into contact with this one. Remains to be seen how dangerous that will be but it’s likely to be similar to other variants.

It’s been a good idea to take regular Covid tests, keep social distancing, and wear masks in public settings all through the pandemic, but for anyone that’s either stopped or never started, now it could potentially make a huge difference. I’d especially say to anyone that’s either not vaccinated, or anyone that could potentially come into contact with anyone that’s not vaccinated, these are especially important, both to try and reduce spreading it yourself, and to try and protect others too.

• Like 3