Coronavirus

whelk

6 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

The country is losing its marbles. Scotland are about to go further with restrictions.

This is insane 

check out Norway Europe Covid: Norway bans alcohol sales to combat Omicron (msn.com)

Now they're saying 300000 infections a day with 200 hospitalisations, the number goes up every day 🤣

Edited by Turkish

6 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

The authorities, aided by much of the press, are not even trying to hide the lies.

This is ridiculous

200 hospitalisations a day, i assume this is a typo, otherwise 0.0006% of people who get it every day will be hospitalised. 

Edited by Turkish

15 hours ago, The Cat said:

I've had nothing more than a sore arm with any of my 3. 

Popped into town earlier about 4pm. Was so quiet considering it's so close to Xmas. Could even walk past the non-German market without getting squeezed involuntarily into Sports Direct by the crowds. 

I'm guessing this is partly due to the  work from home mandate which is taking footfall from city centres again.

Walked through Marlands and noticed the Saints shop in there now. We truly are preparing for relegation if we're opening shops in Championship standard shopping centres.

There are also adult and child mannequins dressed in Saints gear at one of the main entrances to John Lewis which made me wonder if there was in an store shop for Saints gear similar to that within the (now closed) Beales store in Bournemouth which used to stock AFCB gear.

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

200 hospitalisations a day, i assume this is a typo, otherwise 0.0006% of people who get it every day will be hospitalised. 

Omicron is not scary enough, given the push back across various platforms.

Anyway..... https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10309153/Risk-DUAL-infection-Omicron-Delta-create-new-super-mutant-variant.html

9 hours ago, Turkish said:

About two weeks ago there were six people in Scotland who tested positive with Omicron.

Today, the claim is that 20% of all infections are the Omicron variant.  Based on today's figure of 59,000 positive cases, that's over 10,000 people with the new variant.

Firstly, how the hell does anyone know who has which variant, are they really testing enough positive results or is this just guesswork?

Secondly, that's another blinding job we've done at 'containing' this strain :mcinnes:

23 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

About two weeks ago there were six people in Scotland who tested positive with Omicron.

Today, the claim is that 20% of all infections are the Omicron variant.  Based on today's figure of 59,000 positive cases, that's over 10,000 people with the new variant.

Firstly, how the hell does anyone know who has which variant, are they really testing enough positive results or is this just guesswork?

Secondly, that's another blinding job we've done at 'containing' this strain :mcinnes:

It’s pure guess work, probably inflating the numbers too so they can scare people more.

26 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Samples are taken from infected people, eg from testing kits submitted or hospital admissions, and these samples then have their RNA genome determined. About 10% of all samples taken from patients in the UK have this done, and the results are uploaded into an international database. ( By comparison, the US only sequences about 1% ). To date the UK has posted over 1 million results on the database. There are a number of regional laboratories that do this work - the area in which a variant is detected is therefore known, as is the proportion representing any specific variant.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

https://www.cogconsortium.uk

Basically thanks to COG UK

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/news/latest/2021/07/uk-scientists-designed-world's-most-sophisticated-covid-19-sequencing-system.aspx

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/03/europe/tracing-uk-variant-origins-gbr-intl/index.html

On this at least, the UK really is world-leading.

• Like 2

Walking around The Mall in Blackburn yesterday at least 40% of people were not wearing masks, despite signs telling them to, and many of those that had masks looped over their ears had the mask itself folded under their chins. I wonder how much of this is an anti-Boris effect, deliberately flouting anything the gibbering fool comes up with.

• Like 1

Heard a funny story this morning from a guy at the gym whose 72 year old uncle wont have the jab because hes worried about it. He is apparently about 5 stone overweight, drinks a crate of beer every night, rarely leaves the house unless it's to go to the pub  and his cholestrol and blood pressure are through the roof :lol: 

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

NHS is urged to stop counting thousands of (msn.com)

More than a quarter of Covid 'patients' currently occupying hospital beds are actually being treated for another condition, according to official data that has prompted calls for the NHS to change how it counts admissions in the face of Omicron

How can this be?

What method of counting do you propose? Whatever choice you make won't reflect the exact circumstances of every case.

We all know dying with covid isnt exactly the same as dying from covid. We also all know that for the 20 year old motor biker who was admitted after being hit by a truck the major problem was the truck, not the covid he had. But that doesn't mean covid wont kill him because he is paralysed and his lungs have filled with fluid.   

Edited by buctootim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

NO NO NO, it's too early to tell. We must not be complacent, dont underestimate the virus, get your jab, wear your mask, get your passport as you aint going anywhere without 3 jabs.

Edited by Turkish

21 minutes ago, whelk said:

More people on ventilators 2 months ago. Fuck going out at Christmas though.

BBC news ‘a new record blah blah

People dont go from being infected on day 1 to be on a ventilator on day 2 - it usually takes 2-3 weeks.. Whether omnicron is a big deal or not will be clear by January, probably not before.    

• Like 3

1 hour ago, buctootim said:

People dont go from being infected on day 1 to be on a ventilator on day 2 - it usually takes 2-3 weeks.. Whether omnicron is a big deal or not will be clear by January, probably not before.    

I know and don’t want to sound like a twat but BBC news seem to get incredibly excited. 

On 14/12/2021 at 21:11, Weston Super Saint said:

FGwIMUZX0AEBB5U.jpg

9 minutes ago, Manuel said:

Government predictions within the last few hours (not made public).  By 9th Jan, UK best case scenario: 1 million new Omicron cases per day.   Worst case scenario 2 million per day.  

Didn’t they also predict 100k cases a day when all restrictions were lifted and it ended up being about 20% of that?

4 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Or have kids in school.

I have 3 kids in school. Not even slightly worried about their health. More worried about them growing up in this shit show of an era where the majority suddenly thinks the government aren't corrupt and care about everyone's well being 🤣 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

I see Kev has given himself an accurate forum name.

Hilarious. Should you be posting in here? Think the latest is the virus can spread through internet connections so I'd wrap yourself up in cotton wool and hide for cover if I were you. It's coming to get you and nobody's safe. Except for 99.9% that is

4 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Just to keep those numbers as high as possible..(it used to be 14 days, apparently)

FGzil6pXEAYTo6c.jpg

I think it's always been 28 days hasn't it? Might be wrong.

But either way those definitions are waffle really, as they have always been. They're not giving the true picture and the media are as guilty for portraying them falsely. 

People will contract this new variant, either in hospital or outside of hospital. Based on those definitions you could be hit by a bus, get taken into hospital for operations on your leg...yet test positive for covid during you stay and thus became a number of patients with COVID in hospital, and that in my eyes is a totally false representation.