U18s

Sideways Jim

From Birmingham live feed:

Dibling makes it 3-0 with a drive from range. He's been the best player on the park. He drives forward past Pierre, keeps going and drills home with his left foot. Game over, you feel.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's taken some time, but the work that has been done on the Academy over the last couple of years is starting to bear fruit. We pretty much hit the floor for a year, but a bit of investment in some new talent and some breakthrough stars of our own and it all looks great again. I'd be pretty confident to say that there are maybe 1 or 2 future first team starting 11 players in this group.

Shows what a bit of time and patience buys you, as this team has been developed over a couple of years - not overnight.

3 hours ago, The Cat said:

Beat West Ham 2-1 today. 

Phenomenal result as West Ham had won their last 16 games in a row dating back to April 2022.

Goals for Dibling and Will Merry.

Good to see my son's friend get on the bench for the first time.

Brilliant achievement.  Had some of the younger lads around the side, too.

They've taken a while to click this season.

55 minutes ago, trousers said:

Bizarre how one or two of the u18 and u23 starlets can't get a sniff in the first team  for a struggling Premier League club such as ours...

"If they're good enough, they're old enough..."

Indeed. Its already bearing fruit for Leeds with the likes of Summerville, Gelhardt (just gone to Sunderland on loan) and Greenwood. All were picked up from other PL youth at 17/18

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Clubs done a huge amount of work since we got back up, but generally this is the knock on affect of us getting promoted 10 years ago.

A lot of these kids would have been recruited once we got back into the premier league…we couldn’t attract them when we were in the lower leagues.

Indeed. And we'll end up losing them if there's seemingly no 'pathway' to the first team...

10 minutes ago, trousers said:

Indeed. And we'll end up losing them if there's seemingly no 'pathway' to the first team...

100% agree - I cannot for the life of me think why we stick with the "tried and failed" 'experienced' player approach when we have these young, hungry players who cannot get a look in.

The pathway seems to have disappeared completely and Nathan Jones' and SR 'spray pray' approach to signings means it will only be harder for these youngsters to get any time.

And, ironically, we will need them next year in the Championship.

On 29/01/2023 at 20:04, washsaint said:

100% agree - I cannot for the life of me think why we stick with the "tried and failed" 'experienced' player approach when we have these young, hungry players who cannot get a look in.

The pathway seems to have disappeared completely and Nathan Jones' and SR 'spray pray' approach to signings means it will only be harder for these youngsters to get any time.

And, ironically, we will need them next year in the Championship.

Indeed. I remember all Rasmus' guff about understanding saints and the culture of our club... but here we are with them blocking the pathway for our academy kids and trying to get us playing 5 at the back hoof ball. Broadly speaking we're a fanbase that wants to see the team play attacking football and have a go, with a smattering of academy players in and around the first team. 

A pleasure to watch these young lads who are everything the senior side is not. They pass and move, play between the lines and zip the ball around confidently while maintaining a solid shape. Every player knows his job and gets on with it with skill and effort. Chalk and cheese from the first team.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, saintant said:

A pleasure to watch these young lads who are everything the senior side is not. They pass and move, play between the lines and zip the ball around confidently while maintaining a solid shape. Every player knows his job and gets on with it with skill and effort. Chalk and cheese from the first team.

Good shout for Horseman taking charge!