U18s

Sideways Jim

2 hours ago, ozzmeister said:

Guessing Jobe Bellingham is Judes join her brother - wouldn’t be a stupid idea to get an early bid in for him - assuming he’s close to the same kind of level as his brother 

He is Rated even higher than Jude was at Birmingham, dont think we would have a chance in getting him tbh

11 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Any chance we could get this lad into the first team, after all he is about the same age as Theo was when he broke through. Surely a better option than Shane Long.

Hadn't realised SKD's son was playing for the u18s (Sonnie). 

I thought with how childish SKD’s comments and views were, he was far too young to have a kid that old 😉

(joke btw, in case anyone gets tetchy…)

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

Beaten 1-0 by Palace. Unbeaten start to the league season ended, Palace now top of the South Group, Saints 6th. The U18s aren't doing too bad to be fair. B Team is a shambles and we shouldn't let that shambles colour our view of the younger team.

Indeed.  The 18’s didn’t have 3 of their better players either, as they were with the B-Team earlier in the week.

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Has anyone watched enough to comment if Doyle can be a first team option this season? I know 16/17 year olds are very much the exception but the stats look pretty exceptional so far.

Yours hopefully 😉

I know someone in the academy and they reckon he'll be in the first team squad by the end of the season.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Has anyone watched enough to comment if Doyle can be a first team option this season? I know 16/17 year olds are very much the exception but the stats look pretty exceptional so far.

Yours hopefully 😉

8 minutes ago, The Cat said:

I know someone in the academy and they reckon he'll be in the first team squad by the end of the season.

To The Cat's point, an argument could be made that Doyle and Ballard are 2 of the best attackers outside the first team (and they are both only first year scholars).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Is it possible that we're starting to get some things right in our development squads?

#Ralphiesplaybook ?

I don’t think there’s ever been a problem with this years 18’s (last years 16’s) and below.

It was the ‘B team’ having to use last years 18’s which in the main messed up both teams. 

Some good players coming through.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sideways Jim said:

Yeah most likely. 

3-0 up against Brighton at half time Luke Pearce with 2 and the other from Riley Wright

Actually ended 3-2, Bragg was sent off 5 minutes from the end. They were joint top as it stood, but now 4th after other games completed, one point adrift of the leaders (Fulham)

7 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

I don’t think there’s ever been a problem with this years 18’s (last years 16’s) and below.

It was the ‘B team’ having to use last years 18’s which in the main messed up both teams. 

Some good players coming through.

The issue was that those squads are with the club since they were schoolboys. And 10years ago we were in the 3rd tier on the back end of administration, having had a lot of the academy staff poached and struggling to recruit the best coaches or talent. 

31 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Ballard scored again, and 2 for Dibling. Both of them are definitely names to keep an eye on. 

I'm definitely going for Ballard as my "academy player that comes out of nowhere to make a surprise first team appearance before the end of the season" choice this year 

Absolutely incredible just how our youngsters are doing. Having a mate who's a big fan of Villa, I've had many a update on the investment they have put into the U23's and below over the last couple of years. They have spent some serious money. They do seem to have a actual plan. 

So after years of watching us pillage and regress our youth system, its an actual joy watching us add Small and the like to it and being rather bloody good. 

Well done the hierarchy, this might well be your saving grace. 

51 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Absolutely incredible just how our youngsters are doing. Having a mate who's a big fan of Villa, I've had many a update on the investment they have put into the U23's and below over the last couple of years. They have spent some serious money. They do seem to have a actual plan. 

So after years of watching us pillage and regress our youth system, its an actual joy watching us add Small and the like to it and being rather bloody good. 

Well done the hierarchy, this might well be your saving grace. 

It's quite interesting reading about their youth recruitment plan.  They've said before if they have 22 year olds in their U23 team, they've basically failed as a club.  They want it packed with 16/17/18 year olds recruited from all over the country.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...