U18s

Sideways Jim

4 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

I was looking at that Diamond Edwards goal then looked at him signing a deal 2019 cripes he has bulked up

Yes thought it was Antonio initially 

Will be interesting to see next year how many of these lads make first team / u23s or go out on loan 

A really good performance from a squad that has included some  15 and 16 year olds this season,

...and to think in the distant past, we used to rave about the emergence of ....a handful of good talents; 

(Bridge, Walcott, Bale, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana, Shaw .... albeit in a period of  over 10 years.)

but this current U18 squad looks really hot and very sound in almost every department. 

More than a dozen have had game time in the B side, and at least 5 of  them are already regulars in the B side

(and don't look out of place either) ... this is perhaps one of the best youth squads we've ever produced.  

Needless to say, the Man City game will be a real challenge but with our recent turn of form,

( 40 goals scored  v. 14 conceded in the last 13 games ) ...we can hope  that we might even win this game. 

14 hours ago, JRM said:

Yes thought it was Antonio initially 

Will be interesting to see next year how many of these lads make first team / u23s or go out on loan 

....and even Kami Doyle, who looked very scrawny in August, has filled out a lot....and might have had a hat-trick in the Reading game.

7 hours ago, david in sweden said:

A really good performance from a squad that has included some  15 and 16 year olds this season,

...and to think in the distant past, we used to rave about the emergence of ....a handful of good talents; 

(Bridge, Walcott, Bale, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana, Shaw .... albeit in a period of  over 10 years.)

but this current U18 squad looks really hot and very sound in almost every department. 

More than a dozen have had game time in the B side, and at least 5 of  them are already regulars in the B side

(and don't look out of place either) ... this is perhaps one of the best youth squads we've ever produced.  

Needless to say, the Man City game will be a real challenge but with our recent turn of form,

( 40 goals scored  v. 14 conceded in the last 13 games ) ...we can hope  that we might even win this game. 

I remember when Saints had a decent Youth team (smashing Pompey 7-0 etc) with the likes of Sam Gallagher/Hesketh etc in the team.
They were on a decent run in the Youth Cup and played Nottm Forest at home in the latter stages.
Patrick Bamford scored 3 or 4 in a humbling defeat for our youngsters and I dont think we have had a decent crop of youngsters since then.
Hopefully they can do a number on Man City.
I am old enough to remember our Youth team playing Man Utd in the mid fifties in a team of top rate youngsters some of which, including the fabulous Duncan Edwards) who lost their lives in the Munich Air Crash a couple of years later.
We had the likes of Terry Paine and John Sydenham in our team and got thumped 5-2 at The Dell but actually beat Man Utd 2-1 at Old Trafford in the second leg.
If we can get one or two youngsters who go on to perform at the same level as Paine (and Sydenham) then that would be great.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

I remember when Saints had a decent Youth team (smashing Pompey 7-0 etc) with the likes of Sam Gallagher/Hesketh etc in the team.
They were on a decent run in the Youth Cup and played Nottm Forest at home in the latter stages.
Patrick Bamford scored 3 or 4 in a humbling defeat for our youngsters and I dont think we have had a decent crop of youngsters since then.
Hopefully they can do a number on Man City.
I am old enough to remember our Youth team playing Man Utd in the mid fifties in a team of top rate youngsters some of which, including the fabulous Duncan Edwards) who lost their lives in the Munich Air Crash a couple of years later.
We had the likes of Terry Paine and John Sydenham in our team and got thumped 5-2 at The Dell but actually beat Man Utd 2-1 at Old Trafford in the second leg.
If we can get one or two youngsters who go on to perform at the same level as Paine (and Sydenham) then that would be great.

That Bamford game was a different season because Luke Shaw, Chambers, Ward Prowse etc were playing in it.

I went to watch both of those games at St Mary's.

The Pompey 7-0 game was probably 2013/14 season? Think the Bamford one was 2011 or 2012. He's 28 now so that would be about right.

• Like 1

Mitchell was very highly rated at Birmingham and they were gutted to lose him when he joined us. Not sure why it hasn't worked out for him or the other two.

Many players just don't kick on at 18/19. Look at Pascal Kopohomou. Man City academy, signed for Saints, played for England U16, U17, U18. He's now at AFC Totton. 

With his youth pedigree you'd have thought he would be a shoe in for a decent career, and he may yet have one, but it just goes to show what can happen.

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Whats the deal with tickets? Only seem to be able to get tickets in the Itchen North Corner

Same here. I grabbed mine, but it can't be sold out, surely?

Northam blocks 45 and 46 now available - I guess they must have sold the entire Itchen, which probably isn't that much of a surprise considering the tickets are free, there's no huge obligation on anybody to actually turn up...

• Confused 1

Who's going to this? Seems like there will be decent crowd.

A good chance to see an in form Saints team play at St Mary's. I'm really looking forward to the game and the prospect of watching the players close up rather than having to rely on the odd stream, match clips and second hand info from people in and around the Academy.

Considering just how good Man City are likely to be, I hope that we keep some perspective if the game doesn't go our way. This is a hugely exciting crop of youngsters who have achieved a great deal this season regardless of the result tomorrow.

• Like 2

Yeah - I'm going to head down, be nice to go to St Marys and watch a team with some confidence...

Excited to see our lot play, as you'd think a bunch of them are likely to play for the first team at some point.

Also, from an England perspective, I'm fully expecting City kids to be at a very high level. 

Any specific players we should be looking out for?

1 minute ago, Saint Garrett said:

Yeah - I'm going to head down, be nice to go to St Marys and watch a team with some confidence...

Excited to see our lot play, as you'd think a bunch of them are likely to play for the first team at some point.

Also, from an England perspective, I'm fully expecting City kids to be at a very high level. 

Any specific players we should be looking out for?

Midfield / Forward players, especially:  Doyle / Ballard / Edwards / Dibling / Morgan / Pearce *

*MLG notes:  Yes, I know they all can’t play together & that there are injury concerns over some of them.

——

(Good article on a lot of the squad: https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/20146556.saints-u18s-hoping-take-manchester-city-playoff/ )

Just now, Saint Garrett said:

Having been there id question that, but still a decent crowd, I wonder if that was tickets sold rather than people through the gate tonight 

Yeah! You could well be right! I was surprised at the high figure!

Not a huge gap between the two teams and if Saints had taken their chances after Davies was subbed, then they could have gone on to win it.

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

Karma…

Karma for what? Sean Dyche you mean? I've always liked Burnley FC personally. They produce good players and punch above their weight a bit like us. I always enjoy the way they seem to ruffle the top teams feathers with their style of play.

Edited by Disco Stu

16 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Karma for what? Sean Dyche you mean?

‘Look at Southampton, we have a tremendous amount of respect for what they did with their academy. Yet over the last five years, under the current owner, they have destroyed that’. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SuperSAINT said:

‘Look at Southampton, we have a tremendous amount of respect for what they did with their academy. Yet over the last five years, under the current owner, they have destroyed that’. 

I've always hated Burnley 😡

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...