Southampton FC Women

Dr Who?

On 25/11/2021 at 16:19, Dr Who? said:

Looks like the home game against Pompey will be played at St Mary’s. Not going to be fun for them playing at Fratton Park, they will get plenty of grief, if the Pompey fans know about womens football that is. I’m sure plenty will go along just to hurl abuse! 

On 26/11/2021 at 00:11, negium said:

I went to the pompey v oxford match a couple of months back to support a friend in the Oxford team. The abuse from some of the men who put themselves behind the keeper and followed to the other side at half time was disgusting.  Oxford should have been out of sight in the game but drew 1-1 after one of their girls fractured her leg.  I can imagine it will be another level of crap at fratton Park.  Just got to hope that away fans are banned as you can bet there would be some trouble makers coming down.

Ah didums. If they want to be treated as a proper sport, they’ll have to get used to it. Blokes put up with it. 

45 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Ah didums. If they want to be treated as a proper sport, they’ll have to get used to it. Blokes put up with it. 

Wouldn't the world be nicer if they didn't have to though? The women aren't paid enough to be abused by thousands of fat, tanked up low lives just because they wear a different colour shirt to some other people who play in a different city in a different colour shirt.

If you don't like womens football, don't watch it / don't go just to intimidate the opposition. Like it or not the women's game has a higher percentage of female (and male) fans (including girls/children) who want to watch it and enjoy it for what it is...a proper sport, albeit perhaps not currently the same standard as the men's game...without feeling intimated. Fans of a lot of other sports seem to manage it.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, jawillwill said:

Wouldn't the world be nicer if they didn't have to though? The women aren't paid enough to be abused by thousands of fat, tanked up low lives just because they wear a different colour shirt to some other people who play in a different city in a different colour shirt.

If you don't like womens football, don't watch it / don't go just to intimidate the opposition. Like it or not the women's game has a higher percentage of female (and male) fans (including girls/children) who want to watch it and enjoy it for what it is...a proper sport, albeit perhaps not currently the same standard as the men's game...without feeling intimated. Fans of a lot of other sports seem to manage it.

Fair point.  What is enough?

Good question - suppose you never know what is going on in people's lives/their ability to cope with torrents of abuse, so the answer probably should probably be that they shouldn't ever have to put up with it.

Personally, if it was me, I reckon I'd get over it for £40,000 a week.

3 hours ago, jawillwill said:

Good question - suppose you never know what is going on in people's lives/their ability to cope with torrents of abuse, so the answer probably should probably be that they shouldn't ever have to put up with it.

Looking at it another way though, surely you want some controversy and more rivalry to boost interest in the women's game? 

9 hours ago, jawillwill said:

Maybe you could set up an OnlyFans page and people could pay to abuse you. It’s an interesting concept, you can only be abusive to people who earn a certain amount of money. Perhaps Nathan Redmond could take a voluntary pay cut, that way he won’t get abused anymore. 

On 29/11/2021 at 04:41, jawillwill said:

I'd put up with it for as little as £1000 a week in all honesty. 

1 hour ago, southbourne saint said:

Today's match postponed but table toppers Ipswich lose to Oxford. If our ladies win their games in hand they will top the table. Sounds easy if you say it quickly.

Why is it that they don't say why the match was postponed? Wasn't the previous game v Cardiff also postponed, and also with no explanation.

1 hour ago, Lampwick said:

The coverage that is given to our women is woeful. Especially considering they are our only team that wins on a regular basis.

Yep, we keep getting told to take more of an interest in the women's game but nobody gives a fuck about the WSL unless their team is in it. Needs better coverage for the lower leagues.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Assume that means top two would go up, meaning we are all but guaranteed?

I don't know how promotion to Championship is calculated.

We play in the Southern Premier Division, there's also a Northern, so any extra spot may not come from our league!

Although very favourable i certainly wouldn't bank on promotion even if extra place did go to Southern, recent games against the skates were very close and have to play them again, Oxford pushing on and we still have to play Ipswich so big potential to drop points there!

If i had to bet on it though then i think we'll win the league, by a whisker!

• Like 1

On 19/12/2021 at 16:27, southbourne saint said:

Today's match postponed but table toppers Ipswich lose to Oxford. If our ladies win their games in hand they will top the table. Sounds easy if you say it quickly.

After losing to Ipswich their defeat to Oxford was a massive surprise, but then Oxford are flying as well and have moved into 2nd place. Seems that after looking like us and Ipswich were unstoppable we have been far from convincing. Will be an interesting run in for sure. 

On 26/12/2021 at 14:40, djharvey said:

I don't know how promotion to Championship is calculated.

We play in the Southern Premier Division, there's also a Northern, so any extra spot may not come from our league!

Although very favourable i certainly wouldn't bank on promotion even if extra place did go to Southern, recent games against the skates were very close and have to play them again, Oxford pushing on and we still have to play Ipswich so big potential to drop points there!

If i had to bet on it though then i think we'll win the league, by a whisker!

Not sure what is going to happen but I think it would be one less relegation from the WSL. Still only 1 up, but would be nice if they let the winners of our south league and the northern go up rather than them playing off against each other for the one spot. I hate the fact we could win our league and still lose the playoff and not go up! 

On 30/12/2021 at 19:33, Dr Who? said:

Not sure what is going to happen but I think it would be one less relegation from the WSL. Still only 1 up, but would be nice if they let the winners of our south league and the northern go up rather than them playing off against each other for the one spot. I hate the fact we could win our league and still lose the playoff and not go up! 

All irrelevant now, Coventry Utd ladies were rescued and avoided liquidation. They were awarded a 10 point penalty but this probably just means they will be the "automatic" relegation candidates (without checking the league table). So, no potential opening for next season for teams aspiring to be promoted to the Championship. The Saints Women will just have to go out and win the League and gain promotion on merit (as I think they will).

9 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

All irrelevant now, Coventry Utd ladies were rescued and avoided liquidation. They were awarded a 10 point penalty but this probably just means they will be the "automatic" relegation candidates (without checking the league table). So, no potential opening for next season for teams aspiring to be promoted to the Championship. The Saints Women will just have to go out and win the League and gain promotion on merit (as I think they will).

Hope Saints Women get the support they deserve. They are largely local and Saints fans themselves. They are also a very watchable team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lampwick said:

Hope Saints Women get the support they deserve. They are largely local and Saints fans themselves. They are also a very watchable team.

As I've said before, I have tried to get into following them but there is so little coverage it's impossible beyond just reading the result. Is there any reason the club can't set up a camera and stream the game on YouTube? 

6 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

As I've said before, I have tried to get into following them but there is so little coverage it's impossible beyond just reading the result. Is there any reason the club can't set up a camera and stream the game on YouTube? 

They have said ‘hearsay’ that they will have better coverage from the club when they reach the WSL, but this seems a bit shortsighted to me. But the coverage is pretty naff! It’s a shame as it seems a bit half arsed. They should fully get behind the project, and maybe with our vision and the new owners vision this will be something that happens. We are a pretty forward thinking club in the main. 

1 hour ago, Dr Who? said:

They have said ‘hearsay’ that they will have better coverage from the club when they reach the WSL, but this seems a bit shortsighted to me. But the coverage is pretty naff! It’s a shame as it seems a bit half arsed. They should fully get behind the project, and maybe with our vision and the new owners vision this will be something that happens. We are a pretty forward thinking club in the main. 

The Saints web site does have reasonable coverage - https://www.southamptonfc.com/women#news-feed with highlights etc, there is also an independent Twitter account here:  

5 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

They get more than the standard deserves 

Maybe you should put your hand in your pocket and have a rummage around for £3 to actually go along to a game and then impart your observations, rather than (on this thread in particular) being the prize knob in the pub who is only being tolerated because his is the next round.

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

Maybe you should put your hand in your pocket and have a rummage around for £3 to actually go along to a game and then impart your observations, rather than (on this thread in particular) being the prize knob in the pub who is only being tolerated because his is the next round.

£3? daylight friggin robbery, if I’m not watching Saints I watch my nipper in the Wessex league. Far higher standard than the chicks, but nowhere near the coverage. 

• Haha 1

On 08/01/2022 at 00:42, Barry Horne said:

The Saints web site does have reasonable coverage - https://www.southamptonfc.com/women#news-feed with highlights etc, there is also an independent Twitter account here:  

The coverage is poor. You will see some posts earlier on in this thread. During the game you have no idea what is going, and you only get the final score about an hour after the game. 

The other Saints woman's team have Twitter updates during the game. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

The coverage is poor. You will see some posts earlier on in this thread. During the game you have no idea what is going, and you only get the final score about an hour after the game. 

The other Saints woman's team have Twitter updates during the game. 

Yes but they don't have highlight of every game, features etc.  Agree that updates should be an easy thing for them to start though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barry Horne said:

Yes but they don't have highlight of every game, features etc.  Agree that updates should be an easy thing for them to start though.

I look at the FA’s official site for the various leagues - and obviously our division in particular and even that is populated as an after thought - the game at Bridgwater yesterday was showing as “still on” at 10 past 2 yesterday when I looked 

• Like 2

This is domestic football. The club should have someone on the Saints woman's team media page and do the updates as and when. When they have a game send someone with the club to update their Twitter page, like the other Southampton team not connected to a professional football club. It is not like we do not have the resources. 

it annoys me on the BBC when you cannot click on a score line from Scotland/Italy/Netherlands and it does not give you the option of going onto the game to see when the goals were scored and by who. This is after all 2022, it’s not like we do not have the means. 

• Like 2

Nice touch for them to give Sue Lopez the latest Forever Saints award at half time. 

Pity the tannoy was playing up and we couldn't really hear the tributes to her that well.

As they said in the bits I could hear, she was an absolute trailblazer for women's football and Southampton in particular. Thoroughly deserved.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, striker said:

I have a question. It seems we are having a lot more matches postponed than other sides. Will we eventually play them all? Right now the women are sitting pretty with a lot matches in hand, I hope they get to play them

Welcome to the world of lower league woman's football, where it is very frustrating as they only seem to play once a month! Yes they will ‘get around to fitting them in’ when the club have sorted out the rest of the things on the list and they get to the last one 🙄. I am hoping that a fixture pile up does not have an impact on us going for the title.