Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

1 minute ago, beatlesaint said:

With Ori leaving I will be even more pissed off if Redmond and Walcott are still here after tonight. Stephens and Bednerek gone (going) great, now get these other two big wage packets out of our hair please.

Ori would have takers though. Theo and Redmond aren't going to have many takers because they're pretty rubbish and on a hell of a lot of money given their actual ability.

I'd argue that we can't let Redmond go if we fail to bring in another attacker though, which isn't a great position to be in I agree!

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

we failed to bring an attacker in to replace Broja. I would have thought that was clear and I elaborated on that very point in subsequent posts. I don't think anyone could suggest we aren't currently weaker in attack compared to last year. We have a few hours yet but if we don't strengthen in attack further then I'll be disappointed. 

In the end, I think we both agree, we could do with bringing Broja back. 😉

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Romeu has gone by the looks of the post Saints just put on FB. Doesn't say anything but it's a "thanks for everything" thing

paves the way for AMN signing announcement. First the bad news, ow the good news.

38 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Where has anyone forgotten about Mara? Our forward line is not strong enough for a season in the Premier league and just like when we were weak at the back and failed to strengthen sufficiently and almost got relegated, it should be called out. We've done excellent work at the back and in midfield but we've left a hole up front and are currently weaker than we were at the end of the season. 

Our first 5 games would indicate that we'll stay up without further additions. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

paves the way for AMN signing announcement. First the bad news, ow the good news.

Good. He's not Oriel; no-one is, quite. But I like AMN. We are looking pretty muscular, which I think we lacked last season. Often looked too powder puff in the middle.

Forget this PSV lad it won't happen.

I've mentioned it a few times and I still stand by it. 

Paul Onuachu

Absolute unit of a striker with a good record of scoring headers. 

Type of player who would suit our system and get on the end of set pieces. 

Get the reddies on the table and get it done! 

Height, strength can finish 

Exactly what we need! 

• Like 1

Just now, Dragon_man said:

Our first 5 games would indicate that we'll stay up without further additions. 

Given how ridiculous our form has been under Ralph in terms of peaks and troughs, I would hope we wouldn't be basing any of our transfer strategy at all on our opening run of five games. 

• Like 3

Just now, ally_uk said:

Paul Onuachu

Exactly what we need! 

Nice to see some attacking suggestions. There's still time to get someone in. I hope the club haven't given up. 

1 minute ago, ally_uk said:

Paul Onuachu

Exactly what we need! 

Is he available or more a case of available at an over inflated price?

10 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

With Ori leaving I will be even more pissed off if Redmond and Walcott are still here after tonight. Stephens and Bednerek gone (going) great, now get these other two big wage packets out of our hair please.

Someone wanted Ori. If no one wants Redmond and Walcott, what can you do? 

5 minutes ago, DT said:

Good. He's not Oriel; no-one is, quite. But I like AMN. We are looking pretty muscular, which I think we lacked last season. Often looked too powder puff in the middle.

the difference on Tuesday to a lot of last season was how much quicker the central midfield seemed, enabling them to get tighter and make tackles and interceptions. We needed much more intensity in that area - with `Kalvin Phillips type hussling' of opponents. JWP and Romeu just didn't offer enough of that often enough last season. I wonder if AMN will provide more of that.

• Like 2

Just now, Chez said:

the difference on Tuesday to a lot of last season was how much quicker the central midfield seemed, enabling them to get tighter and make tackles and interceptions. We needed much more intensity in that area - with `Kalvin Phillips type hussling' of opponents. JWP and Romeu just didn't offer enough of that often enough last season. I wonder if AMN will provide more of that.

Yes, good point. Hope they have Oriel's excellent ball retention skills too.

1 minute ago, Chez said:

What sort of player is he? I can't say I've ever looked into him that closely. 

12 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Paul Onuachu

He's got great numbers, albeit in the Belgian league. You'd think English clubs would be looking at him. Looks as though he was linked to Wolves earlier in the window. 

Started out at Midtjylland, so well-known to Rasmus?  

Edited by Le Timmier
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

Yeah, I agree. We cover more ground and recover quicker, sadly this is probably a reason why Romeu has gone - he couldn't really do that too effectively and we were caught out in the middle. Diallo is a strange one, but one thing you can say about him is that he's quick around the ground and he can hustle.

AMN is another athletic type who can cover the ground, more of a forward thinking CM I think but he will add more energy to our midfield and physicality. AMN is such a shrewd move.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah, I agree. We cover more ground and recover quicker, sadly this is probably a reason why Romeu has gone - he couldn't really do that too effectively and we were caught out in the middle. Diallo is a strange one, but one thing you can say about him is that he's quick around the ground and he can hustle.

AMN is another athletic type who can cover the ground, more of a forward thinking CM I think but he will add more energy to our midfield and physicality. AMN is such a shrewd move.

Diallo never looked suited to being a DM, next to JWP in a 4-2-2-2 but if we’re playing more of a 4-2-3-1 with Lavia next to him and JWP in front it’s a completely different role. He may also be able to play further forward where JWP currently is in the ‘Davis’ role.

As much as I loved Rom, I’m happy enough that he’s gone as he did limit the way we play and when he wasn’t at it, we looked dreadful as a unit.

• Like 1

Just now, Lighthouse said:

Diallo never looked suited to being a DM, next to JWP in a 4-2-2-2 but if we’re playing more of a 4-2-3-1 with Lavia next to him and JWP in front it’s a completely different role. He may also be able to play further forward where JWP currently is in the ‘Davis’ role.

As much as I loved Rom, I’m happy enough that he’s gone as he did limit the way we play and when he wasn’t at it, we looked dreadful as a unit.

Totally agree with that, I thought Diallo's best game for us was in that formation against Brentford at home. He played more advanced and was pressing all over the place.

Can't deny that he's technically gifted, but he gets a bit over run if he's in CM in a flat 2.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

A mate for Salisu.

Can't say I've ever heard of this guy though. He's 28, so at least 10 years too old for us.

1 year left on his contract though, so quite possible, but given Bednarek and Stephens are going out on loan, we'll be stuck with loads of CB's next summer at this rate.

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

A mate for Salisu.

Can't say I've ever heard of this guy though. He's 28, so at least 10 years too old for us.

1 year left on his contract though, so quite possible, but given Bednarek and Stephens are going out on loan, we'll be stuck with loads of CB's next summer at this rate.

I need an attacking link to cheer me up. We all knew it was too good to be true but Gakpo falling through has been a huge disappointment. Just picking my toys up and putting them back in the pram as I speak…

Being linked to multiple back up CBs isn’t quite cutting it, I have to say.

• Like 2

Sounds like Leeds offered a bit more money to make them turn away our bid, and then Gakpo turned down Leeds?

Sounds unlikely the player will force the move to us, unlikely we’ll increase our offer, and unlikely that they’ll accept less money, but I guess the day’s not over just yet.

• Like 1

Just now, Saint Garrett said:

Sounds like Caleta Car going to move to West Ham too, so maybe we'll be stuck with Bednarek...🤪

I always thought it would be daft for clubs to pick Bednarek over Caleta-Car if he was available, so I won't be surprised.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I guess he’s guaranteed a starting place in their 11 and isn’t in ours but it is frustrating that a newly promoted team can beat us to signings.

Leeds staying up by the skin of their teeth then outmuscling us for Gakpo in terms of transfer offer and wages. Having already signed a couple of big money players. Our sustainable model is risky but it’s how we roll.

1 minute ago, goodymatt said:

I guess he’s guaranteed a starting place in their 11 and isn’t in ours but it is frustrating that a newly promoted team can beat us to signings.

Leeds staying up by the skin of their teeth then outmuscling us for Gakpo in terms of transfer offer and wages. Having already signed a couple of big money players. Our sustainable model is risky but it’s how we roll.

A few toys left still to put away then.

• Haha 1

A lot of stress on here this morning 🤯. We've had a good window and will be fine for the coming season, particulary as few of our key players are involved in the world Cup. 

If Che stays fit we're laughing (compared to previous years) with the attackers/midfield we have behind him, and Mara can lead the line if needs be (and did for bordeux). As can aribo. And if Che picked up a bad injury I'm sure we'd be in for someone in January 👍

A lot of people saying we need an extra body up top, but we weren't pursuing that - gakpo was going to be an AM for us... Not sure the club were looking for an extra "Che" today, unless they've kept it very quiet or broja is coming back on loan. 

Never got the impression from the gakpo quotes that he wanted the move, felt a bit more like he was being offered up for sale. Its not a huge loss if we don't spend £30-40m on a player that doesn't particulary want to be at saints. If he does want it then he's got a few hours to make that point clear to PSV. He's a good player, but we'll be fine without him imo. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2