Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

I'm sorry but if the club have high standards then to fail to bring an attacker in when they've had the entire summer isn't good enough. Yes it happens but it doesn't mean it should be considered acceptable. 

They bought Mara. It's amazing how quickly that is forgotten. He might not be the £40m striker, but he is an attacker. Sure we thought another would come in, and he still might, but the club has invested in the forward line. Not sure what you mean by acceptable. Acceptable to who, you?

• Like 6

Surely the national team manager would want his players playing at the highest level? Did Leeds do something to van Gaal when he was Utd manager?

Anyway, do we know where Rasmus is? Seemingly where he is, is where the deals are being done. He was supposedly talking to Benfica and was supposedly talking to PSV, so if he's jumped off somewhere else that might show where the next player is. 

Just now, Saint Fan CaM said:

I said nothing about clauses or a ‘special’ SFC way…I’m sure if a buying club shows genuine interest their request for quiet polite negotiations will be honoured if the selling club is indeed honourable and genuine. You agree that not many of our signings are widely known, so that suggests there is some planning behind that.

I'll give up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah, we have - but if we look at purely in numbers.....we lost Long, Broja and Tella from the attacking third who all played a decent amount last season. Mara is the only addition, and hopefully Samuel Edozie will be the other - but we still need our Broja type. Ralph has come out so many times saying that we need a game changing attacker, we played our best football when we had that sort of player etc.

So it's been a great window for sure, but if we don't strengthen up that attack then it's a bit of a nightmare given that was everyone's priority at the start and it would leave us clearly short.

Isn't Aribo seen in the attacking third? 

1 minute ago, Chez said:

They bought Mara. It's amazing how quickly that is forgotten. He might not be the £40m striker, but he is an attacker. Sure we thought another would come in, and he still might, but the club has invested in the forward line. Not sure what you mean by acceptable. Acceptable to who, you?

Where has anyone forgotten about Mara? Our forward line is not strong enough for a season in the Premier league and just like when we were weak at the back and failed to strengthen sufficiently and almost got relegated, it should be called out. We've done excellent work at the back and in midfield but we've left a hole up front and are currently weaker than we were at the end of the season. 

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah, we have - but if we look at purely in numbers.....we lost Long, Broja and Tella from the attacking third who all played a decent amount last season. Mara is the only addition, and hopefully Samuel Edozie will be the other - but we still need our Broja type. Ralph has come out so many times saying that we need a game changing attacker, we played our best football when we had that sort of player etc.

So it's been a great window for sure, but if we don't strengthen up that attack then it's a bit of a nightmare given that was everyone's priority at the start and it would leave us clearly short.

In terms of bodies, Aribo was also added too to play in the attacking third. However I get your point and the fact we have bid for Gakpo says we were trying for another attacker. We may not have a huge number of options, but at least the likes of Che and Armstrong are doing OK at the moment. Ten weeks until the next window opens. Hopefully their form gets even better not worse.

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

More of a number 10 type I'd say, not a forward/attacker in my eyes. The club think they need one anyway given that we've tried for Delap, Ramos and Gapko!

He played as striker for Rangers for much of last season, he is an attacking player, albeit not an out and out striker.

• Like 2

Not signing an attacker would leave us a little light (especially if Adams picks up an injury). Hopefully Edozie can step up if he comes in but he sounds a little further behind the other City lads we have brought in. Difficult one for the club now - clearly thought they had Gakpo in the bag which we all agree would have been a superb signing - I don't think we will get Gakpo in the next window now, his stock is going to be too high post-WC so we need to look elsewhere and just depends whether we've got the time to move to the next option today.

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Yes he was the Long replacement quite clearly. He's a good prospect but clearly not what we had in mind at the start of the summer as our main attacking force to replace Broja and Ings. 

Broja was the replacement for Ings, we don't need to replace both. We're clearly looking for another attacking option but to say we've achieved nothing all summer is wide of the mark. Long didn't need replacing because he contributed nothing last year.

If we're talking numbers then you'd have to include Aribo if you're including Tella. We clearly want another attacker but if we don't get one it's far from, "a bit of a nightmare." Long and Tella contributed absolutely naff all and we were already overstocked in numbers anyway. We had 10 attacking players fighting for 4 places on the pitch

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, James said:

Not signing an attacker would leave us a little light (especially if Adams picks up an injury). Hopefully Edozie can step up if he comes in but he sounds a little further behind the other City lads we have brought in. Difficult one for the club now - clearly thought they had Gakpo in the bag which we all agree would have been a superb signing - I don't think we will get Gakpo in the next window now, his stock is going to be too high post-WC so we need to look elsewhere and just depends whether we've got the time to move to the next option today.

Not signing an attacker, when we are clearly looking to go big in that are, would mean we shit house out way through the season

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Lighthouse said:

Broja was the replacement for Ings, we don't need to replace both. We're clearly looking for another attacking option but to say we've achieved nothing all summer is wide of the mark. Long didn't need replacing because he contributed nothing last year.

If we're talking numbers then you'd have to include Aribo if you're including Tella. We clearly want another attacker but if we don't get one it's far from, "a bit of a nightmare." Long and Tella contributed absolutely naff all and we were already overstocked in numbers anyway. We had 10 attacking players fighting for 4 places on the pitch

I know we don't need to replace both. My point was that Broja was on loan so was never really a permanent replacement. The vast majority of fans at the beginning of the summer would have said that our top priority would have been to replace Broja. If we fail to do that by the end of the day then that's a black mark against the club regardless of who they have tried for. I'm still hoping for an alternative so we aren't left exposed. 

I think the Gakpo situation is all a perfect example of why the club like to do things in private: we have a well-established and successful recruitment policy which identifies good players while some other clubs like Dirty Leeds just pounce on deals being made by other clubs and use the money saved to make a higher offer.

It seems to me that the deal was going through until Leeds decided to interfere and that just left the player unsure so that he has decided he can't cope with all the hassle. Leeds and PSV don't come out of this with a great reputation if you ask me. If we don't manage to save the deal then I kind of hope he stays put and PSV get into financial difficulties as a result!!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

The worry I have is that we are seeing the statements ''Adams and Armstrong have started well'' and ''We still have Redmond'' coming out of the woodwork.

We needed better than all of those at the start of the window and I think most thought the same (including the club), I we've clearly 'tried' but it would leave us a bit short if we go running with just the above - although Mara and Aribo are additions in that area. I think we'd feel it over the season should we not get what I'd call a game changing player. Just my feeling on it given how much of a difference those players make to teams.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Also Ballard needs a pathway, the kid clearly is going to be about the first team this year and is highly rated.

Plus it seems A.Armstrong has evolved from a striker to a wide attacker and has impressed in that role.

We seemingly have shifted from a front two (in either the 4-2-2-2 or 5-3-2) to more having a 1, with more players playing off. So for the striker position you have Che, Mara, Armstrong, and possibly Ballard, with probably Aribo able to do a job there as well.

Then behind the striker we have A.Armstrong, S.Armstrong, Mo, Aribo, Djenepo, JWP being possibly involved there as well, plus currently Walcott in the building and the club seemingly looking to add one more big name in Gakpo, and the young kid from Man City. 

The squad is currently a bit bloated, it's got 27 first teamers and we are supposedly adding AMN, plus the two youngsters from City, plus rumours of another centre-back AND they were intending to add a marquee attacking signing, pushing it to 32. 

Plus we are supposed to have a pathway for the younger players to come through.

Yes hopefully Bednerak, Stephens and the GK are reported to be on their way out, but we still have the likes of Walcott, Redmond, Valery, with nothing rumoured at the moment. 

The worry I have is that we are seeing the statements ''Adams and Armstrong have started well'' and ''We still have Redmond'' coming out of the woodwork.

We needed better than all of those at the start of the window and I think most thought the same (including the club), I we've clearly 'tried' but it would leave us a bit short if we go running with just the above - although Mara and Aribo are additions in that area. I think we'd feel it over the season should we not get what I'd call a game changing player. Just my feeling on it given how much of a difference those players make to teams.

But it’s not a normal season is it? I don’t think anyone is arguing that we don’t need one - we do but if, we are paying big money then it needs to be the right one (who may not be available right now - if they were I’m sure we would be at the table now). If it’s a loan then I’m assuming they need to be better than what we have now else why bother?

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

All a bit rewriting of history now with some posters suggesting we never needed another attacking singing in this window after all. Even if you do think that, that's clearly not the opinion of the manger.

We definitely do!!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Where has anyone forgotten about Mara? Our forward line is not strong enough for a season in the Premier league and just like when we were weak at the back and failed to strengthen sufficiently and almost got relegated, it should be called out. We've done excellent work at the back and in midfield but we've left a hole up front and are currently weaker than we were at the end of the season. 

you said, and I quote: "we have failed to bring an attacker in". Mara is a new attacker that we have brought in, ergo you must have have forgotten about him.  

Some on here said Broja was a waste of space at the end of last season. So with him gone and Mara in, are we weaker than we were at the end of last season?

I'm a huge fan of Broja, so would agree with you, that we are weaker than last season `as a whole', but its early days and Mara may be a revelation as we progress.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

All a bit rewriting of history now with some posters suggesting we never needed another attacking singing in this window after all. Even if you do think that, that's clearly not the opinion of the manger.

Need and want are a completely different thing though. We want a player clearly, but do we desperately need one that we just buy whatever we can find on deadline day?clearly not and that would be silly. 

We have plenty of options for the positions and have brought in two new attacking players (Mara and Aribo) plus other players have shown signs of improvement (i.e. Armstrong). 

Would a big name quality attacker be great? Of course it would and the club have clearly tried, at the same time if doesn't happen its clearly not a disaster and the window has still been excellent IMO. 

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

More of a number 10 type I'd say, not a forward/attacker in my eyes. The club think they need one anyway given that we've tried for Delap, Ramos and Gapko!

A number 10 is no longer an attacker? I'm getting old.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Similar to Quincy Promes in that we missed out on him in the January and we’re supposed to go back in, in the summer. Never did… Although, he ended up being a bit of a dodgy bloke.

And Tete last January, that was meant to be a done deal for this summer and then it went quiet. If it doesn't happen today it won't happen at all.

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Are these posters on another forum? Can't see anyone on here suggesting we never needed another attacking signing.

• Like 2

Just now, Chez said:

you said, and I quote: "we have failed to bring an attacker in". Mara is a new attacker that we have brought in, ergo you must have have forgotten about him.  

Some on here said Broja was a waste of space at the end of last season. So with him gone and Mara in, are we weaker than we were at the end of last season?

I'm a huge fan of Broja, so would agree with you, that we are weaker than last season `as a whole', but its early days and Mara may be a revelation as we progress.

we failed to bring an attacker in to replace Broja. I would have thought that was clear and I elaborated on that very point in subsequent posts. I don't think anyone could suggest we aren't currently weaker in attack compared to last year. We have a few hours yet but if we don't strengthen in attack further then I'll be disappointed. 

19 minutes ago, DT said:

Caleta-Car sounds increasingly possible. Good. Can't have too many double-barrelled players

I'm gonna have to go back to his youtube video. I seem to recall when we discussed him two years ago he was a monster. Not super quick, but a proper powerful defender. From what I have read he hasn't performed well over the last two years, which is a concern, but not seen him so don't know how accurate that is. 

Just now, Chez said:

I'm gonna have to go back to his youtube video. I seem to recall when we discussed him two years ago he was a monster. Not super quick, but a proper powerful defender. From what I have read he hasn't performed well over the last two years, which is a concern, but not seen him so don't know how accurate that is. 

He wouldn't have to be that amazing to be an improvement on Bednarek. 

• Like 1

Just now, hypochondriac said:

we failed to bring an attacker in to replace Broja. I would have thought that was clear and I elaborated on that very point in subsequent posts. I don't think anyone could suggest we aren't currently weaker in attack compared to last year. We have a few hours yet but if we don't strengthen in attack further then I'll be disappointed. 

This is kind of where I am.

If we go in with what we have then so be it, let's see what we can do and we might see a few games from Edozie who is potentially better than Tella. We've done so well in upgrading CM, CB and GK this window without question, the attack is the final piece of the jigsaw in my opinion. (and was arguably more important than CM)

• Like 1

Disappointed we have yet to shift Redmond, McCarthy, Walcott. Deadwood of the old order. But very good window all round, to be fair. Would still like to see Caleta-Car, and maybe a surprise striker from a bit further down Saints list, and with maybe less attitude/honour than Gakpo or the PSV negotiatiors (from the sounds of it)

1 minute ago, DT said:

Disappointed we have yet to shift Redmond, McCarthy, Walcott. Deadwood of the old order. But very good window all round, to be fair. Would still like to see Caleta-Car, and maybe a surprise striker from a bit further down Saints list, and with maybe less attitude/honour than Gakpo or the PSV negotiatiors (from the sounds of it)

McCarthy was never going to go, we're stuck with him on his silly new first-choice goalie wages until his contract expires.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Didn't Man City win the league without a recognised striker ?

You can't compare us to City! They could play without a striker because they had Sterling, Mahrez, De Bryune, Foden, Silva who were all good for double figures from midfield.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Quite amusing considering the post three above yours which says that exact thing. 

Your suggestion of 're-writing history' is complete nonsense however much you blither on about it.  I think most people are just in agreement that signing the right player is more important than just signing a player and if we can't get out targets its hardly the end of the world or a disaster. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DT said:

With Ori leaving I will be even more pissed off if Redmond and Walcott are still here after tonight. Stephens and Bednerek gone (going) great, now get these other two big wage packets out of our hair please.

Just now, beatlesaint said:

With Ori leaving I will be even more pissed off if Redmond and Walcott are still here after tonight. Stephens and Bednerek gone (going) great, now get these other two big wage packets out of our hair please.

Of course in an ideal world we'd move them all on, but don't think it would be the end of the world if we cannot get anyone else in, that Redmond and Walcott are still here. Walcott is going next summer anyway, and Redmond is a decent squad player. Of course in the ideal world, both will go and we bring in a replacement who will be starting for us.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Quite amusing considering the post three above yours which says that exact thing. 

You must be seeing something different to me. The post "three above" mine was posted by either @Chez or @Tajjuk (depending on how you've counted). I won't speak for those guys but neither seem to be saying that we never needed another attacking signing.