Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

Just now, SuperSAINT said:

Would agree with window being good — but potentially not bringing in an elite attacker isn’t great.

If Blackmore is alluding that we will keep the money and move for him again in the winter window, that would be crazy. PSV have dicked us around on this, I wouldn't waste another minute on it. 

• Like 3

Can’t say I’m surprised to know Gakpo isn’t coming to be honest - the manner in which the transfer was progressing suggests this was not a deal Saints were really invested in…it’s very unusual for them to advance negotiations without agreement to a mutual blackout of info until the deal is done. Unless Gakpo was in some way a smokescreen, but I doubt that. Or perhaps Saints got taken for a ride by PSV, but I’m not buying that either.

I don’t understand those that are suggesting Saints went in for Gakpo just to show ‘we tried’…FFS we’ve spent over £50m already this window, got some amazing talent and we’re sitting 8th in the table. What more can we expect?! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, St.Patrik said:

Working from home is some days a blessing in disguise 😀 Bring on Deadline day!!!!! 

It's alright for you. I'm retired and need to go down the allotment to get some seedlings in, paint the back gate before tomorrow's rain, do my aged parent's daily morale visit, get some food in, cook it, check Saintsweb, go for a run as it's our first game on Sunday, check Saintsweb, peel and freeze some apples, check Saintsweb.

Work? Pah! 😉

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I get that Walcott isn't at the level we want but he WAS on the bench against Chelsea, meaning if he goes that's another space in the squad that needs filling. Could be a spot for Ballard to be fair but we don't want to limit his game time by taking him out of the under 23s too early.

4 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Can’t say I’m surprised to know Gakpo isn’t coming to be honest - the manner in which the transfer was progressing suggests this was not a deal Saints were really invested in…it’s very unusual for them to advance negotiations without agreement to a mutual blackout of info until the deal is done. Unless Gakpo was in some way a smokescreen, but I doubt that. Or perhaps Saints got taken for a ride by PSV, but I’m not buying that either.

I don’t understand those that are suggesting Saints went in for Gakpo just to show ‘we tried’…FFS we’ve spent over £50m already this window, got some amazing talent and we’re sitting 8th in the table. What more can we expect?! 

Very unusual without a mututal blackout of detail? What bollocks! 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1

There is no chance of us signing Gakpo now, either during thebrest of today or in a future window (seemingly it was his choice to remain there and wait for a bigger club to move for him).

The only player of a similar profile who is probably available and ready to move inside one day would be Ismaila Sarr - but we have seemingly had no interest before so expect we won't get an attacker and will reassess in Jan which does leave us vunerable and failing to achieve a major objective from this window.

With Bednarek and Stephens going we absolutely need another CB, likely on loan - otherwise will surely block one of those exits.

Assume Redmond will come back into the squad, which will make us stronger IMO than without him, especially if no new attacker.

Edited by Dusic

3 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Theo, Bednerek, Stephens and Valery all to be out the club by tonight.

Well obviously there are outgoings, but I don’t expect Valery to be going anywhere…think in our present situation he’s flexible CB/FB cover and Ralph seems to have time for him. Personally I think he’s a capable squad member that we can rely on in an emergency.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Leeds offered 45mil but player looks like he wasnt convinced.

Leeds or Saints? Everton or Saints? If its football career progression for a young overseas player its surely Saints. Its the known career ladder. Others may disagree but for me its a strong probably our strongest USP. 

IF we were a top six EPL club Cody my guess is would already be posing with a shirt btw ...It's not really the money so much as I don't think PSV can stomach selling there starboy to anybody they see as beneath them. I get it as a pride thing for them proud historic multi times champions that they are   - if he has to go at least make it a Liverpool or some-such....but to sell to perennial strugglers in the EPL after we just got kicked out at home of the CL by Rangers makes us look like muppets is maybe what they are afraid of in front of their noisy loyal fanbase (respect to the PSV fans btw who are a strong reason why Cody may NOT be sold this window).  

Edited by gio1saints
sp

9 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Really? You’re sounding like an abrasive MLG there (largely unsurprising given your previous posts), so perhaps attempt to explain why you disagree?

Because there's a ton of examples of signings we have made where that isn't the case. We do sometimes not hear much about signings but that's mostly because they aren't high profile and no one cares about little Southampton. We aren't special we do transfer business like everyone else. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Because there's a ton of examples of signings we have made where that isn't the case. We do sometimes not hear much about signings but that's mostly because they aren't high profile and no one cares about little Southampton. We aren't special we do transfer business like everyone else. 

New club motto? “We are Southampton we aren’t special”.

That PSV journo has got himself the spotlight this week, seems to love his own voice! I fail to believe he knew every single coming and going of this deal, as often with transfers like this it plays out in the media in a delayed way - so we probably knew of this outcome many days ago.

This has certainly been a good window and everything points to today bringing more additions, but if we fail to bring in a game changing attacker then you have to say that area of the pitch is weaker than last year and that makes me very nervous.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It’s not about being special though is it? If you’re about to spend a small fortune you don’t want to (a) alert other clubs to the extent of your spend and (b) alert other clubs to the fact you’ve unearthed a gem. There are definitely instances where Saints have specified a ‘quiet approach’ for these reasons - maybe not all the time, but for specific cases it makes eminent sense.