Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

1 minute ago, Shance said:

Can't imagine he's leaving if they've started him tonight tbh. Hope it happens but not getting my hopes up.

But if they've offered him a new deal, it'd be a bit bizarre to leave him out. Giving him the captaincy is obviously a way to butter him up even more. 

Personally, I'm concerned about who can comes in to perform Che Adams' role when he's unable to play or rested. Most of our attacks go through him. We need an alternative player capable of outmuscling opposition defenders, challenging for headers, holding the ball up and laying it off... The typical 'back to goal' work the head of our attack needs to be capable of doing. I don't see Mara capable of doing that. Perhaps Aribo could play that role for us but it isn't his best position and I want us to play our players in their best positions. We need another centre forward. I see Mara, Armstrong and Aribo as the players the centre forward lays the ball onto.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

Playing devils advocate, it could all be part of a bluff to make it look like they have no intention of selling him, in the hope that we lunge in with a late 'blow them out of the water' offer.

feels like that, and if the two clubs were miles apart, then it would make sense, but the press noise is a fee has been agreed. Weird.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Personally, I'm concerned about who can come in to perform Che Adams' role when he's unable to play or rested. Most of our attacks go through him. We need an alternative player capable of outmuscling opposition defenders, challenging for headers, holding the ball up and laying it off... The typical 'back to goal' work the figurehead of our attack needs to be capable of doing. I don't see Mara capable of doing that. Perhaps Aribo could play that role for us but it isn't his best position and I want us to play our players in their best positions. We need another centre forward.

Maybe we're going to play with a false 9 - it's all the rage apparently, very derigour.

1 minute ago, Nieldy said:

Haven't we got Maitland-Niles on loan for season today 

Not official yet, but he's been at Staplewood today. Probably doing all the promo shots and medical bits.

I think the media team are preparing for a day of teasing tomorrow. They'll be earning the wedge for sure.

Just now, a1ex2001 said:

Nope nothing actually confirmed yet!  Maybe they are going for a massive unveiling video with them all doing a drunken conga down the tunnel and out onto the pitch at St Mary’s!

They could play a new signings vs old signings match.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I reckon Southampton will do a signing every hour, or something like that tomorrow.

”Not another one!” 👀😅

I can't get that excited every hour. Really. The years are slipping past.

How about a signing tomorrow, another on my birthday, one at Christmas, and if I've had a few early nights, New Year's Day.

• Haha 1

Southampton agree loan deal for Maitland-Niles

Southampton have agreed a deal with Arsenal for the loan signing of midfielder Ainsley Maitland-Niles.

The deal for Maitland-Niles includes a buy option.

Arsenal are thought to have activated a one-year extension option in the midfielder's contract, which was due to expire at the end of this season.

Maitland-Niles spent last season on loan in Serie A with Roma, but the 25-year-old only made 12 appearances.

Sounds as good as.

2 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Who was the latest we've had? Danny Ings wasn't it?

I think Alderweireld was announced the day after the window closed out of nowhere. Like 10am the following day, something like that.

Edited by CB Fry