Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

5 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

It’s not about being special though is it? If you’re about to spend a small fortune you don’t want to (a) alert other clubs to the extent of your spend and (b) alert other clubs to the fact you’ve unearthed a gem. There are definitely instances where Saints have specified a ‘quiet approach’ for these reasons - maybe not all the time, but for specific cases it makes eminent sense.

That isn't what you said though was it. I There may be times where a bit of quiet is prudent but the main reason that we don't hear a lot about transfers is because Southampton are a small club making small deals for generally lower profile players. It's why you hear about United transfer dealings weeks in advance, not because they wouldn't prefer some quiet. 

2 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

They could in theory have a unhappy player on their hands if that was the case. I suppose if he was desperate to come here, he could go down the moody player route, we've had plenty of experience with that in the past. 

I did read somewhere that he was going to sign a new contract with PSV

2 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Could just be an angle to get Saints to pay more, considering Leeds offered more. 

Hope we have a plan B though, we were planning to spend £30 million plus on an attacker today, wonder if we will. 

My bet is that we won’t unless the right player is available and they would seem to be few and far between ie right & available 

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

That isn't what you said though was it. I There may be times where a bit of quiet is prudent but the main reason that we don't hear a lot about transfers is because Southampton are a small club making small deals for generally lower profile players. It's why you hear about United transfer dealings weeks in advance, not because they wouldn't prefer some quiet. 

Point being with the type of deals Utd make, that there are many fewer clubs with the spend power they have and of course when they offer a player a deal, the player will be more likely to be pressing for a move. In short, completely different scenario.  When we go big (in our terms) the risks are higher.

2 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

My bet is that we won’t unless the right player is available and they would seem to be few and far between ie right & available 

It does seem we had two targets in Ramos and Gakpo that we thought we could stretch our budget to and were worth stretching for, but their clubs have basically ending up wanting a lot more money. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

They could in theory have a unhappy player on their hands if that was the case. I suppose if he was desperate to come here, he could go down the moody player route, we've had plenty of experience with that in the past. 

Don’t think that’s the case. The fact he played last night and put in a big performance tells me this is a player that was happy and was not too bothered to be moving as he got an improved deal. Agent played a blinder.

So to work out what's what today, so much going on...

GK - Lis rumoured to be going out on loan

Full Back - rumours around Valery, but I can't see him going. Young lad Juan Larios coming in from City.

CB - Bednarek, Stephens and Simeu all on the way out. Stephens Bournemouth, Bednarek West Ham by all accounts and Simeu is off to Scotland. That leave us needing at least 1 quality CB.

CM - Romeu off  :( - AMN coming in, which is a clever bit of business

AM - Walcott rumoured to be off, clubs still interested in the background in Redmond. Of incomings, just Samuel Edozie at the moment. We certainly need to see something happen in this area!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Can’t say I’m surprised to know Gakpo isn’t coming to be honest - the manner in which the transfer was progressing suggests this was not a deal Saints were really invested in…

Don't agree with this, When you make a bid of £21.4m, you are seriously invested. I have no idea what the revised bid was, but the fact Adam Blackmore reported that a fee had been agreed suggest we were 100% invested in this transfer. OK, so it may not (have) work(ed) out, but these are serious figures for a club of our size. The idea we did it half hearted is just bullshit.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Don’t think that’s the case. The fact he played last night and put in a big performance tells me this is a player that was happy and was not too bothered to be moving as he got an improved deal. Agent played a blinder.

If you look at it the other way, when he played yesterday he may have been under the impression that he was leaving. 

8 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Point being with the type of deals Utd make, that there are many fewer clubs with the spend power they have and of course when they offer a player a deal, the player will be more likely to be pressing for a move. In short, completely different scenario.  When we go big (in our terms) the risks are higher.

I'm not sure what point you're making now. My point was that we don't insist on silence in order to get a deal done and that the reason you don't hear much about our transfers is because they are lower profile and because mostly no one cares about saints. It seems with this reply that you agree that United are higher profile and so you are much more likely to hear about their transfers a long way in advance. 

2 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

If you look at it the other way, when he played yesterday he may have been under the impression that he was leaving. 

Agree, I think we had a deal all ready to go and then Leeds came in to try to gazump us, so PSV jumped on them because they were paying more but the player didn't want to go to Leeds. 

PSV likely now saying he is staying because we won't pay as much as Leeds were going to pay. 

10 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Was the deal already off when he played? 

6 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

It does seem we had two targets in Ramos and Gakpo that we thought we could stretch our budget to and were worth stretching for, but their clubs have basically ending up wanting a lot more money. 

Exactly. We have a certain budget and have bid accordingly. Unlike teams like Chelsea and United, we can't keep upping the bid until we get out man. There is a limit. If that doesn't coincide with the valuation of the selling club you have to admit defeat and try again. Some Prem clubs are getting absolutely rinced in these deals, which is fine is you have a gazzilionare bankrolling you.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'm not sure what point you're making now. My point was that we don't insist on silence in order to get a deal done and that the reason you don't hear much about our transfers is because they are lower profile and because mostly no one cares about saints. It seems with this reply that you agree that United are higher profile and so you are much more likely to hear about their transfers a long way in advance. 

My point is that Utd don’t particularly need to keep their transfer business quiet (but May wish to do so at times!) - Saints would prefer quiet negotiations, particularly when spending larger sums. Which of the latest signings were widely known about in the media long before they were announced?

Just now, West end Saints said:

As attacking players we have

Adams

A Armstrong 

Ely

Aribo

Mara

Djenepo

S Armstrong 

Redmond

Wallcott

If we sign further attacking players I hope it is either competition for Adams, or someone who will start ahead of most of those, we don't need just another squad player

Think Djenepo now seen as a full back, and Redmond and Walcott will be leaving today I think.

9 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I hope we didn't put all our eggs in one basket with this fella considering how important attacking signings have been all summer.

No easy to have two or three £30m deals just ready to rock and roll. Not sure how accurate this is but the media pointed to us starting at Broja, then Delap, then Ramos, then Gakpo, so we haven't put our eggs in one basket, we've gone for several options, but not managed to pin any one down yet. It happens. You only have to look at the difficulty United have had in recent years to get the right player in to know how hard it must be for clubs like us. 

• Like 4

Time to move on from Gakpo and start blaming him for an attitude problem.

What we should do though is dedicate the next three or four transfer windows to outbidding and unsettling any PSV future targets we can find.  Also, pay any opposition hardmen to go in on some x rated tackles on Gakpo.  There's numerous things we can do to the PSV hierarchy behind the scenes as well.  That'll send a strong message to any clubs who want to fuck us around again.

Besides, I'm not convinced he's any better than Theo Walcott.

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

My point is that Utd don’t particularly need to keep their transfer business quiet (but May wish to do so at times!) - Saints would prefer quiet negotiations, particularly when spending larger sums. Which of the latest signings were widely known about in the media long before they were announced?

Not many of our signings are widely known in the media long beforehand. That's my entire point. It's got nothing to do with clauses about dealing in secret and special Southampton Way methods of completing transfers. 

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

Exactly. We have a certain budget and have bid accordingly. Unlike teams like Chelsea and United, we can't keep upping the bid until we get out man. There is a limit. If that doesn't coincide with the valuation of the selling club you have to admit defeat and try again. Some Prem clubs are getting absolutely rinced in these deals, which is fine is you have a gazzilionare bankrolling you.  

Chelsea and Utd are panic buying and the people they are buying from know it. I like Antony but I don't think he is going to make a dramatic difference to that team, is he massively better than a Sancho? no I don't think so. 

A lot of these clubs seem to have no real plan at the moment. We seemingly do, so whilst I would love us to break our record transfer today and sign an attacker, if the right player is not there for the right price then it's more sensible to hold fire. Like you say we can't just spend £40 million on a player willy nilly, we have to be very sure the player is right for us. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

No easy to have two or three £30m deals just ready to rock and roll. Not sure how accurate this is but the media pointed to us starting at Broja, then Delap, then Ramos, then Gakpo, so we haven't put our eggs in one basket, we've gone for several options, but not managed to pin any one down yet. It happens. You only have to look at the difficulty United have had in recent years to get the right player in to know how hard it must be for clubs like us. 

I'm sorry but if the club have high standards then to fail to bring an attacker in when they've had the entire summer isn't good enough. Yes it happens but it doesn't mean it should be considered acceptable. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Spot on Chez. I’m sure some think we can just Rick up at strikers are us and go straight to the 30m shelf.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I guess we’ll never know, but almost certainly. Why would Saints agree to a £34m player about to be signed playing for the club he’s departing? Doesn’t make sense.

Thats a very good point. And why would they put a £34m sale at risk by playing him? Are they selling Sangere to Chelsea now which is why they don't need the money? Very strange.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I notice he was at Salzburg at the same time Ralph was at Leipzig. Given her interlinked Red Bull like their club network to be, I wonder if Ralph has had contact or connections with him in the past. Or am I clutching at straws?

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

We've got Mara.

Yeah, we have - but if we look at purely in numbers.....we lost Long, Broja and Tella from the attacking third who all played a decent amount last season. Mara is the only addition, and hopefully Samuel Edozie will be the other - but we still need our Broja type. Ralph has come out so many times saying that we need a game changing attacker, we played our best football when we had that sort of player etc.

So it's been a great window for sure, but if we don't strengthen up that attack then it's a bit of a nightmare given that was everyone's priority at the start and it would leave us clearly short.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Not many of our signings are widely known in the media long beforehand. That's my entire point. It's got nothing to do with clauses about dealing in secret and special Southampton Way methods of completing transfers. 

I said nothing about clauses or a ‘special’ SFC way…I’m sure if a buying club shows genuine interest their request for quiet polite negotiations will be honoured if the selling club is indeed honourable and genuine. You agree that not many of our signings are widely known, so that suggests there is some planning behind that.