Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

3 hours ago, adriansfc said:

Do we really have to bring in a prospect to sell on later in every position? Seems crazy, surely there's a balance to be had. We need Romeu in midfield each week and we've been crying out for similar experience at the back for ages.

All our best CBs came in and played with Fonte which really helped them. If we keep Salisu the aim should be someone with decent experience to come in and help him. Just as we should hve signed Cahill a few years ago. 

I think that's our model though, on the understanding that we wouldn't be able to attract some of those 'prospects' should we not give them a route out of the club before they sign. It's not great I agree, it doesn't scream ambition but we just have to accept where we are as a club. I'm not expecting the new ownership to bankroll us to the Top 6, far from it, but the biggest change I'm looking forward to will be the ability to add to the squad without having to generate the money first.

It'll certainly be much more satisfying when we achieve success doing it our way, as opposed to spending £500m and being in a relegation battle.

On 14/03/2022 at 14:40, VectisSaint said:

Standard buy back clause implementation. No one is going to sign up to a buy back after one year. FIFA have rules about these things. 

Have you got a link to these standard rules?

Given we have KWP I would assume the club would bite Chelsea's hands off if they offered a nice fee in the Summer.

The terms of the buy back clause are irrelevant if we actually WANT to sell him back to Chelsea.  Livermento was bought with the idea that he would initially be the backup for KWP but proved to be better than that.  If the club could get £40m for him the Summer, given we already have a VERY good RB in the squad I think it would be great business to sell him.

Edited by once_bitterne

A CB and a decent striker (not a championship gamble) are a must this summer if we want to progress. 

Id love us to sign Broja, but I think it’s looking unlikely given the situation at Chelsea. But even so, we also need another to complement him him. 

on top of that, a number 10 would be nice. 

Get rid, if possible, of Stephens, Theo, long,  smallbone and the rest of the deadwood. 

• Like 1

It’s not beyond us to find a centre back better than Jan/Stephens for c £10-15m, our strategy and scouting has improved. A striker better than the championship quality we currently have however is a huge ask - especially with the budget we have. We can’t afford to write AA off - I’d give him the next 8 games to see what he can do alongside Adams, Broja is clearly off. I have my doubts, but we can’t go into next season with Adams and a totally inexperienced Armstrong. If we can get him to anything like the player smashing them in for Blackburn that’ll be enough - and we can look for a young prospect / youth for a genuinely Prem Quality striker and give them a year or two.

2 hours ago, Dman said:

A CB and a decent striker (not a championship gamble) are a must this summer if we want to progress. 

Id love us to sign Broja, but I think it’s looking unlikely given the situation at Chelsea. But even so, we also need another to complement him him. 

Get rid, if possible, of Stephens, Theo, long,  smallbone and the rest of the deadwood. 

I would honestly prioritise a goalkeeper over both of those positions. If we continue to have to rely on Foster and/or McCarthy on a regular basis then we will continue to see the same mistakes, poor distribution etc. They're capable of a few solid games, but mistakes are always round the corner. Happy to keep one as backup but we need a new no.1 

I think Bednarek not being in the “right frame of mind” or whatever Ralph said pretty much confirms what will happen come summer, not good enough to be a starter, competent back up but no more. 
We need players mentally strong as well as physically and Jan just isn’t either.

A new GK, a new CB and a “number 10” who isn’t afraid to run at defenders is a must.

Dream outgoings would be Bednarek, Stephens, McCarthy, Valery and Djenepo as well as other deadwood (Lewis) who quite simply will never make it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dman said:

Harsh on Smallbone - he's a youngster coming back from a bad injury, and by most accounts before that injury he was playing some good football. Just because he had a bad game last week playing out of position doesn't mean we should be looking to cull him from the team. Stephens has, I believe, signed a new contract, and poor though he was yesterday, he is a capable 4th choice centre back. The problem is with Lyanco injured and Bednarek not in the right frame of mind, we pretty much have to play him. CB is a must sign in the summer - a first choice to partner Salisu (yes that means keeping Salisu - he has more to learn and should be doing that with us). Long is OOC so he's gone anyway, and I can see Theo running his contract down next season.

Anyway for me, I see this situation as this: 

GK: Forster, Lewis and Caballero will go, leaving us with McCarthy so there is definite work to do there. A first choice please - maybe even a back up or talented youngster on loan.

FB: Full backs are fine if we can keep hold of Tino and KWP (I'm sure they'll have their admirers). Perraud seems to be a decent LB when required and we also have Small. Whilst Valery has played himself into contention to stay with his CB performances, I'd still be letting him go. Still with 4 FBs we should be OK bar the worst injury crisis.

CB: A first choice please to partner Salisu (who we must try to keep - it would be beneficial to both of us but I worry his head is being turned). If Salisu goes then we really need 2 first choice CBS - a tough ask but we don't know what is happening with Bednarek. Lyanco 3rd choice, Stephens 4th choice.

CM: JWP, Romeu, Diallo. Is that enough? Does Smallbone count as a 4th? I'd say so. As good a partnership as JWP and Rom are, I still think we miss a Wanyama-esque beast of a DM. Still, not important when our budget will be tight.

AM: SArmstrong, Redmond, Elyounoussi, Djenepo, Walcott - I've been crying out for ages for our AM slots to be addressed. Moi stepped up this year but is still probably a level under where we need to be. A first choice AM is a definite for me especially as the "squad AMs" (Djenepo/Walcott) aren't very good.

Str: Adams, AArmstrong, Tella - we need to replace Broja with a first choice (I guess AArmstrong was supposed to be our first choice this season but it hasn't happened for him. As a back up - fine, but we are lucky we got Broja). Long doesn't need replacing so long as Tella can stay fit but surgery needs to be done. First choice please.

So I'm looking at a FIRST CHOICE GK, CB (at least 1 , 2 if Salisu goes), AM and Striker. 4 positions (potentially 5) that we need to upgrade. I think CB will be our biggest concern followed by finding a goalscoring striker. With our budget that is going to be tough, plain and simple. IF one of those positions can be ignored, it is probably AM (as long as nobody leaves) but that means we're stuck with the same bunch as this season. Hopefully our scouting is as decent as it was last summer. Newcastle won't be down there next season and I think Bournemouth may do well when they come up, and the likes of Everton and Leeds (if they stay up) will make sure their escapades of this season will not be repeated by spending money. I hope we have a talented youngster or two up our sleeves...

• Like 3

I expect if Burnley go down could be plenty of interest in Nick Pope, Maxwell Cornet (both fairly expensive) and James Tarkowski (out of contract) 

I'm never quite sure about defenders who play in rigid defensive sides, but could Tarkowski be a good option on a free if Bednarek was moved on? Could be of benefit to Salisu (if he stays) and Lyanco playing alongside a solid pro who holds position well, or would he be exposed in a high line?

We have also been linked with Dael Fry who would cost a fairly big fee. 

Staying with championship but moving forward to attacking midfield - Keane Lewis-Potter has been linked and just been called up to England under 21's, could he a be a good option to take Djenepo's place in the squad? If we wanted to push the boat out then Brennan Johnson seems like someone who could pinch Moi's place in the starting eleven - Brentford had £18m turned down in January, but his contract expires summer 2023. 

Edited by saintrich

Southampton focused on centre-backs for summer

With Southampton out of the FA Cup, losing 4-1 at home to Manchester City in the quarter-final on Sunday, their attention will now turn to cementing a top-half spot in the Premier League table.

The higher Ralph Hasenhuttl’s side can finish, the more prize money they will receive — around £2 million per place. That would boost their finances ahead of the summer transfer window, with conversations already taking place about the business they want to do.

Signing a central defender is being viewed as an important position to strengthen when it comes to bolstering Hasenhuttl’s squad, reports Dan Sheldon.

Southampton currently have Mohammed Salisu, Jan Bednarek, Jack Stephens and Lyanco on their books, so one may have to depart if a new centre-back is signed.

Although he is on loan at Carlisle United, Dynel Simeu, who joined from Chelsea last summer, is another central defender at the club’s disposal.

I have a funny feeling McCarthy might be off. Granted he signed a new contract allegedly but it feels like his hamstring injury has lasted forever which is a bit suspicious given how he was publicly thrown under the bus (deservedly I'd argue) following his last game. Feels like we are freezing him out.

Anyway, for me we need a new keeper (keep one of Macca, Willy, and Forster, don't care which whoever is on lowest wages so we can spend big on first choice)

A new CB, someone who can be second choice not like Lyanco last summer which is still a baffling decision. Ship Bednarek, he's way overrated, not suited to Ralph's style, and clearly doesn't give a shit about the team. This seasons Vestergaard, sell to some poor unsuspecting club and then revel in them telling us how we robbed them all next season.

A cheap young back up CM who can be 4th choice and learn behind JWP Romeu and Diallo, maybe another big club academy raid. Think this was supposed to be Smallbone but he seems to be playing further up the pitch now.

A clear out at 10, get rid of Walcott, Djenepo, and one of Redmond/Moi (preferably Redmond imo but Moi if we can't get him to sign a modest contract). Bring in atleast one to replace them who is class. First choice please. Next season New AM, Stu, Moi, Tella would be a good four, or Redmond in for Moi if needed.

A new striker or Broja. Preferably get Broja on a perm as he has shown he can fit our system. However, as I have said elsewhere, Broja is a 6 goal prem forward with little passing and hold up ability so if we can get him in for under £25m then great but if an Arsenal or West Ham or Villa wants to offer silly money like £30m+ then walk away and buy someone else. The less we spend on a forward the more we can spend on high quality GK, 2nd CB, and a number 10, all of which are just as important with our lack of chance creation (see Villa, Watford, Newcastle) and error prone defence (See Villa, Watford, City).

Edited by TWar

1 hour ago, saintrich said:

I expect if Burnley go down could be plenty of interest in Nick Pope, Maxwell Cornet (both fairly expensive) and James Tarkowski (out of contract) 

I'm never quite sure about defenders who play in rigid defensive sides, but could Tarkowski be a good option on a free if Bednarek was moved on? Could be of benefit to Salisu (if he stays) and Lyanco playing alongside a solid pro who holds position well, or would he be exposed in a high line?

We have also been linked with Dael Fry who would cost a fairly big fee. 

Staying with championship but moving forward to attacking midfield - Keane Lewis-Potter has been linked and just been called up to England under 21's, could he a be a good option to take Djenepo's place in the squad? If we wanted to push the boat out then Brennan Johnson seems like someone who could pinch Moi's place in the starting eleven - Brentford had £18m turned down in January, but his contract expires summer 2023. 

I'd take Pope or Cornet, not sure I'd want Tarkowski as he is quite slow and suited to Burnleys lower block more than our high line. Fry from what I've seen could be good. Not really aware of the other two enough to comment. Johnson has put up good numbers but seemingly has better clubs after him than us so doubt we get him.

4 minutes ago, TWar said:

The less we spend on a forward the more we can spend on high quality GK, 2nd CB, and a number 10, all of which are just as important with our lack of chance creation (see Villa, Watford, Newcastle) and error prone defence (See Villa, Watford, City).

Disagree, which I guess will Come as no surprise. 

Yesterday we created plenty to win the game, just had no one to stick the ball away. 

There’s a reason why Forwards often demand a higher fee, that’s because they win you games. As shown by Broja when he’s fit and firing or Ings in 2020. 

Pay cheap, pay twice. As we’ve seen by Armstrong and to a degree Che (if we want a goal scorer and not a ‘second striker’). 

I know it was done to death and I don’t want to get into that again, but a decent finisher / striker on the end of those chances yesterday and were in the semi final of the cup. They’re your match winners. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dman said:

Disagree, which I guess will Come as no surprise. 

Yesterday we created plenty to win the game, just had no one to stick the ball away. 

There’s a reason why Forwards often demand a higher fee, that’s because they win you games. As shown by Broja when he’s fit and firing or Ings in 2020. 

Pay cheap, pay twice. As we’ve seen by Armstrong and to a degree Che (if we want a goal scorer and not a ‘second striker’). 

I know it was done to death and I don’t want to get into that again, but a decent finisher / striker on the end of those chances yesterday and were in the semi final of the cup. They’re your match winners. 

Yesterday we created plenty, against a big team we could catch on the break, but those aren't the important ones for us to win. We need to create plenty against the teams around us and in the three previous games we dominated possession (in all three we were over 60%) but barely made anything.

5 minutes ago, TWar said:

Yesterday we created plenty, against a big team we could catch on the break, but those aren't the important ones for us to win. We need to create plenty against the teams around us and in the three previous games we dominated possession (in all three we were over 60%) but barely made anything.

Or perhaps we just need to find a new way to break these teams down. This squad was perfectly fine at that since Christmas until 4 games ago…

But the point still stands that regardless of how much you create, if your strikers can’t put them away, you won’t win games.

In an ideal world, we’d have the funds to improve both areas. I suspect that won’t be the case though. 

Edited by Dman

5 minutes ago, Dman said:

Or perhaps we just need to find a new way to break these teams down. This squad was perfectly fine at that since Christmas until 4 games ago…

If "Finding a new way" was that easy everyone would do it. We did well in that spell as Moi and Stu were on red hot form, the former has fallen away and the latter famously struggles with fixture congestion. Interestingly Broja in that period only scored 2 league goals in 9 games so it's not like having a top forward was carrying us over that period. Our attacking mids were looking class and now they aren't. Broja has been off it for months yet we continued to win and our form only drops when the AMs form drops. For me that tells me we need to put our money into AMs.

Edited by TWar

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

If "Finding a new way" was that easy everyone would do it. We did well in that spell as Moi and Stu were on red hot form, the former has fallen away and the latter famously struggles with fixture congestion. Interestingly Broja in that period only scored 2 league goals in 9 games so it's not like having a top forward was carrying us over that period. Our attacking mids were looking class and now they aren't. Broja has been off it for months yet we continued to win and our form only drops when the AMs form drops. For me that tells me we need to put our money into AMs.

Here you go again, twisting snd making things up.

Broja has been off form for the last 4 games , not months.

Now your saying it’s Moi and Stu Armstrongs fault ? Armstrong has been one of our better players.

You really do come up with weird stuff.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Sarisbury Saint said:

Here you go again, twisting snd making things up.

Broja has been off form for the last 4 games , not months.

Now your saying it’s Moi and Stu Armstrongs fault ? Armstrong has been one of our better players.

You really do come up with weird stuff.

Broja has now scored 2 goals since the 15th of December in the league. He has been on a 6 game goal drought. Saying he has been off form for the last 4 games is objectively untrue. And yeah, we didn't create enough.

I do think Stu has done well, Moi not so much, but between the two of them we don't create enough. Stu should be starting next season, no doubt, but he can't do it alone, especially since he cannot play too many games in a row. I wasn't criticising Stu at all, just saying he can't be our only good AM next season when he only really wants to be playing once a week.

1 minute ago, TWar said:

Broja has now scored 2 goals since the 15th of December in the league. He has been on a 6 game goal drought. Saying he has been off form for the last 4 games is objectively untrue. And yeah, we didn't create enough.

Are we just ignoring his goal against West Ham, which was 5 games ago? 

And besides that, he was arguably MOTM against United, which was 2 games before that and scored against totenham which was the game before United. 

So yes, it’s fair to say he’s been ‘off form’ for 4 games and not ‘Months’… he’s been inconsistent, which is to be expected of a 20 year old playing his first season the the premier league for a lower mid table team. 

12 minutes ago, Dman said:

And besides that, he was arguably MOTM against United, which was 2 games before that and scored against totenham which was the game before United. 

So yes, it’s fair to say he’s been ‘off form’ for 4 games and not ‘Months’… he’s been inconsistent, which is to be expected of a 20 year old playing his first season the the premier league for a lower mid table team. 

Well I was saying league goals. If you count the cup it is 3 goals in his last 16 games (3 in 12 for the period you mentioned before 4 games ago) which isn't that much better, including a poor displays against championship level coventry and swansea.

Anyway, I'm not interested in having the Broja argument again. He is a 6 goal prem forward who is 20 and should be treated as such when signing. Decent money but lets not blow the bank when we need good quality in three other positions. 

Edited by TWar

16 minutes ago, Dman said:

Unfortunately some people only judge players by stat sheets and don’t really have an understanding of the overall game.

5 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Unfortunately some people only judge players by stat sheets and don’t really have an understanding of the overall game.

Understanding of the overall game does not favour Broja. He is his goals, outside scoring goals he does little else, his passing and link up is pretty poor. He has scored 3 goals in his last 16 games.

Anyway, as I said, not interested in having the Broja argument again. He is decent, not worth breaking the bank for when we have other places of need. Lets move on.

1 minute ago, TWar said:

Understanding of the overall game does not favour Broja. He is his goals, outside scoring goals he does little else, his passing and link up is pretty poor. He has scored 3 goals in his last 16 games.

Anyway, as I said, not interested in having the Broja argument again. He is decent, not worth breaking the bank for when we have other places of need. Lets move on.

😂

19 minutes ago, TWar said:

What utter nonsense.

12 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

What utter nonsense.

I mean, think what you want, but his key passes per 90 is 19th in our team, lower than Jack Stephens, Valery, and Lyanco, and almost 1/3 of what Adams and Armstrong both put up. His expected assists per 90 is 14th in our team, behind Valery again, and under 1/3 of Adams and Armstrong again.

He pretty objectively doesn't do much other than score and with 3 goals in his last 16 games, he aint doing much scoring.

Edited by TWar

53 minutes ago, TWar said:

I mean, think what you want, but his key passes per 90 is 19th in our team, lower than Jack Stephens, Valery, and Lyanco, and almost 1/3 of what Adams and Armstrong both put up. His expected assists per 90 is 14th in our team, behind Valery again, and under 1/3 of Adams and Armstrong again.

He pretty objectively doesn't do much other than score and with 3 goals in his last 16 games, he aint doing much scoring.

Strange way of judging him really, it's not really what he's there for, his job is to get the ball, run at goal and have a dig, as well as causing panic in the oppositions  defence, I'm not sure which Armstrong you are talking about but if you are talking A and Che, you could argue they should be shooting more on sight than passing off responsibility. 

I didn't see this as being a possibility, so I'm pleased the club are actively looking at improving this position.

Salisu's development will be much more rapid with a capable CB alongside him. The 3 we have (Bednarek, Stephens and Lyanco) are all backup quality CB's, none should be a starting CB for any team serious about progressing. Glad the club agree.

Feels like Bednarek is being shown the door in a round about way.

8 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Joe worrell at forest would be a good long term cb partner for mo Salisu if he’s not sold in the summer !

I'd personally look at Dael Fry instead if we're looking at champ CBs. Decent age, English, ticks a lot of our boxes.

A year left on his contract in the summer, could be a decent deal to be had come the summer if Boro don't go up.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Strange way of judging him really, it's not really what he's there for, his job is to get the ball, run at goal and have a dig, as well as causing panic in the oppositions  defence, I'm not sure which Armstrong you are talking about but if you are talking A and Che, you could argue they should be shooting more on sight than passing off responsibility. 

The issue is, in our system scoring isnt the only thing a striker is expected to do, you need to also help your strike partner score and help the others in the attack. This was easy to ignore when he was scoring freely but with 3 in 16 it's harder to ignore.

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I'd personally look at Dael Fry instead if we're looking at champ CBs. Decent age, English, ticks a lot of our boxes.

A year left on his contract in the summer, could be a decent deal to be had come the summer if Boro don't go up.

Yep agree with that another option and a very good cb .. didn’t know he  had a year left maybe good time to strike 👍🏻

3 hours ago, TWar said:

🎣 😂😂😂

3 hours ago, TWar said:

Well I was saying league goals. If you count the cup it is 3 goals in his last 16 games (3 in 12 for the period you mentioned before 4 games ago) which isn't that much better, including a poor displays against championship level coventry and swansea.

Anyway, I'm not interested in having the Broja argument again. He is a 6 goal prem forward who is 20 and should be treated as such when signing. Decent money but lets not blow the bank when we need good quality in three other positions. 

So poor even though we were flying up the table at that time ???? 

Back then you wanted to drop Broja and Stuart Armstrong 😂😂😂😂

Are there any other sports you might like ?

Just now, Sarisbury Saint said:

So poor even though we were flying up the table at that time ???? 

Back then you wanted to drop Broja and Stuart Armstrong 😂😂😂😂

Are there any other sports you might like ?

This was literally my point. Attacking mid is a more important spot to invest in as Broja has been mediocre since mid december but we were fine regardless but as soon as our creative players stop producing at the same rate we stop winning.

5 hours ago, TWar said:

I have a funny feeling McCarthy might be off. Granted he signed a new contract allegedly but it feels like his hamstring injury has lasted forever which is a bit suspicious given how he was publicly thrown under the bus (deservedly I'd argue) following his last game. Feels like we are freezing him out.

Anyway, for me we need a new keeper (keep one of Macca, Willy, and Forster, don't care which whoever is on lowest wages so we can spend big on first choice)

A new CB, someone who can be second choice not like Lyanco last summer which is still a baffling decision. Ship Bednarek, he's way overrated, not suited to Ralph's style, and clearly doesn't give a shit about the team. This seasons Vestergaard, sell to some poor unsuspecting club and then revel in them telling us how we robbed them all next season.

A cheap young back up CM who can be 4th choice and learn behind JWP Romeu and Diallo, maybe another big club academy raid. Think this was supposed to be Smallbone but he seems to be playing further up the pitch now.

A clear out at 10, get rid of Walcott, Djenepo, and one of Redmond/Moi (preferably Redmond imo but Moi if we can't get him to sign a modest contract). Bring in atleast one to replace them who is class. First choice please. Next season New AM, Stu, Moi, Tella would be a good four, or Redmond in for Moi if needed.

A new striker or Broja. Preferably get Broja on a perm as he has shown he can fit our system. However, as I have said elsewhere, Broja is a 6 goal prem forward with little passing and hold up ability so if we can get him in for under £25m then great but if an Arsenal or West Ham or Villa wants to offer silly money like £30m+ then walk away and buy someone else. The less we spend on a forward the more we can spend on high quality GK, 2nd CB, and a number 10, all of which are just as important with our lack of chance creation (see Villa, Watford, Newcastle) and error prone defence (See Villa, Watford, City).

I think Tella is a bit of an unknown quantity because he's never shown enough on a regular basis. Flashes of promise yes but he leaves me feeling uncertain as to whether he's got that extra quality needed at this level. Hope he proves he has but he does need to kick on now.

5 minutes ago, TWar said:

This was literally my point. Attacking mid is a more important spot to invest in as Broja has been mediocre since mid december but we were fine regardless but as soon as our creative players stop producing at the same rate we stop winning.

What about kite surfing ?? 
You produce enough wind.

20 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

I think Tella is a bit of an unknown quantity because he's never shown enough on a regular basis. Flashes of promise yes but he leaves me feeling uncertain as to whether he's got that extra quality needed at this level. Hope he proves he has but he does need to kick on now.

I like Tella well enough, I think he has something about him. Definitely not a prem starter but I'd far rather a younger player like him with promise come off the bench than someone like Walcott. Developing players is core to our club imo.

It’s arguably another huge window for us, and not just because we will get an insight about the ambitions of our new owners, effectively we have a small enforced rebuild on our hands;

Priority

- GKs - All four are out of contract (going by public record) so its a given we need 1 minimum incoming 

- CB - Concerns over Salisu contract, Stephens out of contract, this new issue with JB. * I actually had CB down as a January priority and was a little dissapointed we didn’t make moves, behind Salisu we look fragile and I think its harsh to lump all of our hope on a young CB too*

- ST - Uncertainty over Broja, AA out of form * I do think potentially there is a player in AA but Im not convinced his lack of form can be overcome into next season. Broja is unlikely to be here either, Chelseas predicament leaves me to believe they’ll favour a highest bidder permanent fee and Im not sure we can/will want to match others

Areas of Concern

- Wide players/No.10 - Past S Armstrong there is a significant drop off in quality and despite ME’s emergence as a gebuine starter this year I think we need a player with the ability to unlock a low block. Generally Id say this was a priority position but our hands are forced as above

- CM/DM - Romeu has been a revaluation since the departure of Hojbjerg but I worry about his longevity and behind OR/JWP we lack a DM capable of stepping in with the sane dominance. I actually like Diallo a lot but he is more JWP than OR in playstyle

Thats where we are really, hard to see other than anything but a 60m ball park to cover the priority list minimum, which is a big uptick in where we are traditionally. Im not sure outward sales help us achieve much above  20m without selling significant assets.

2 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

It’s arguably another huge window for us, and not just because we will get an insight about the ambitions of our new owners, effectively we have a small enforced rebuild on our hands;

Priority

- GKs - All four are out of contract (going by public record) so its a given we need 1 minimum incoming 

- CB - Concerns over Salisu contract, Stephens out of contract, this new issue with JB. * I actually had CB down as a January priority and was a little dissapointed we didn’t make moves, behind Salisu we look fragile and I think its harsh to lump all of our hope on a young CB too*

- ST - Uncertainty over Broja, AA out of form * I do think potentially there is a player in AA but Im not convinced his lack of form can be overcome into next season. Broja is unlikely to be here either, Chelseas predicament leaves me to believe they’ll favour a highest bidder permanent fee and Im not sure we can/will want to match others

Areas of Concern

- Wide players/No.10 - Past S Armstrong there is a significant drop off in quality and despite ME’s emergence as a gebuine starter this year I think we need a player with the ability to unlock a low block. Generally Id say this was a priority position but our hands are forced as above

- CM/DM - Romeu has been a revaluation since the departure of Hojbjerg but I worry about his longevity and behind OR/JWP we lack a DM capable of stepping in with the sane dominance. I actually like Diallo a lot but he is more JWP than OR in playstyle

Thats where we are really, hard to see other than anything but a 60m ball park to cover the priority list minimum, which is a big uptick in where we are traditionally. Im not sure outward sales help us achieve much above  20m without selling significant assets.

I'd hope we have money available before we sell, after our new takeover I'd be disappointed if we didn't have a £30m ish figure available 'today' to improve the squad.

Add maybe £20m for Bednarek and you're not far from that £60m figure. (And the enormous wage bill savings from Forster leaving) There are players like Dael Fry who will be chepish, and even Tarkowski who'd be available on a freebie if we wanted to go down that route. Loan market is very viable as well.

I didn't think we'd do much last year, but we did bring in 6 players. I can see a similar influx this year in the other area's that need it.

• Like 3

There are plenty of players in the Championship that could improve us and give us something new. That said I would feel more comfortable with us having more experience at the back.

I feel like Jan Bednarek is subtly being shown the door.

Alex McCarthy I personally think has just been totally frozen out, since when has a minor hamstring strain taken over three months (and counting).

I am extremely confident that none of our major players will leave. Mo Salisu won’t leave. JWP won’t leave. KWP won’t leave.

Only players that leave will be fringe or deadwood.

An experienced GK, an experienced CB, an AM/Winger and a ST are going to be priority, I think we’ll make no more than a handball of signings, and will spend around £40m - not the most stupid spending spree, but enough to make a difference. 
(Look at Crystal Palace’s business last summer).

10 hours ago, TWar said:

Broja has now scored 2 goals since the 15th of December in the league. He has been on a 6 game goal drought. Saying he has been off form for the last 4 games is objectively untrue. 

You are not objective. Broja didn't score at United, but he had a terrific game. I thought he played well against Everton too. He did everything but score. He's struggled in the last few games, especially against the teams that sat deep, but this the idea that his form goes back ages is complete and utter drivel. No one is buying it. 

• Like 2