Jump to content

Summer 2022 Transfer Window


mcbendy
 Share

Recommended Posts

With so much talk of maintaining "the pathway" this week, it's got me wondering who we might lose this summer. Prime candidate in the media would seem to be JWP. Personally can't see it unless Newcastle stump up huge money.

I'm thinking KWP maybe more likely. He would easily fit into any of the top teams, and will have had two seasons of top level performances behind him.

Salisu is maybe another one, although I reckon he needs one more season here.

Btw, don't mean this to be a downer after a great week. I've accepted the pathway situation and trust that we have the ability to bring in decent replacements. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, CWD said:

Salisu is maybe another one, although I reckon he needs one more season here.

He has to be sold this summer if we want full value for him. He's only got two years left on his contract.

If there's no news of him signing an extension in the next handful of months, I'd assume he's going. Because there's no point in signing him cheap, training him up, and then selling him cheap because his contract was winding down. That's the antithesis of our model.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

He has to be sold this summer if we want full value for him. He's only got two years left on his contract.

If there's no news of him signing an extension in the next handful of months, I'd assume he's going. Because there's no point in signing him cheap, training him up, and then selling him cheap because his contract was winding down. That's the antithesis of our model.

I'm hoping he'll sign an extension, even if it means we only have him for 1 more year.

He seems a pretty down to earth and honourable type, given some of his past actions and comments.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CWD said:

With so much talk of maintaining "the pathway" this week, it's got me wondering who we might lose this summer. Prime candidate in the media would seem to be JWP. Personally can't see it unless Newcastle stump up huge money.

I'm thinking KWP maybe more likely. He would easily fit into any of the top teams, and will have had two seasons of top level performances behind him.

Salisu is maybe another one, although I reckon he needs one more season here.

Btw, don't mean this to be a downer after a great week. I've accepted the pathway situation and trust that we have the ability to bring in decent replacements. 

It’s a really good topic to discuss because this summer there’s going to be even more teams awash with cash and a very good chunk of them will be looking to bounce back after underperforming…

Agree that JWP & Sali will be the most wanted. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Considering the clubs with the money who might want him, £60m doesn't sound crazy to me.

Yeah I think £60m is reasonable, not sure why I said £40m. He is left footed too. Although for the record I also do think Ben White is pretty good.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, qwertyell said:

He has to be sold this summer if we want full value for him. He's only got two years left on his contract.

If there's no news of him signing an extension in the next handful of months, I'd assume he's going. Because there's no point in signing him cheap, training him up, and then selling him cheap because his contract was winding down. That's the antithesis of our model.

Didn't realise he only had 2 years left, thought it was 3. In that case you're bang on, the club have to make a decision as to what is more valuable - another season of him or a potential extra £30m

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder if we would negotiate a release clause with Salisu to extend his deal, seeing as we negotiated a buy back clause for the first time to secure Livramento. I don't think we'd get Salisu's true value this summer and then the next he goes into his final year. Of course you'd also have to make the release clause enticing for the player, so he's not going to accept a release clause of say £60m-£75m. But, then of course, his agent could just be in his ear now telling him that he'd net at least £20m as a signing on fee if he sees out his contract here, which comes with its own risks (injuries, etc.) I guess we could work a gentlemen's agreement like we apparently did with Van Dijk without the circus of then rejecting a deal following, and Kane's situation last season also might dissuade players from that route.

Arghhh, too many scenarios! I don't envy the decision makers, but will be delighted if that announcement of a new contract comes up. (It's like his signing all over again).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TWar said:

I think if we don't get Sali to sign a contract by the summer then we should consider bids around the £40m mark. His value will drop after that due to contract.

I sometimes wounder why we only sign hot prospects to only 4 year contracts

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, stevy777_x said:

I sometimes wounder why we only sign hot prospects to only 4 year contracts

Yeah me too. I think at the time we had a couple of longer unsuccessful contracts but given how cheap his wages were a 5 year contract feels low risk and high reward.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

I sometimes wounder why we only sign hot prospects to only 4 year contracts

Livramento was signed on a 5 year contract

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2021-08-02/announcement-tino-livramento-southampton-chelsea-transfer

For players those who do sign 4 year deals,  that doesn't mean the club didn't want them to sign a 5 year deal. It could be the case that the players and/or their agent prefer the deals to be shorter because it make a future transfer easier for them to arrange. Plus even if they stay at Saints it potentially makes the time their next contract offer is made sooner and the wage increase comes maybe a year earlier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

I sometimes wounder why we only sign hot prospects to only 4 year contracts

You never know how they develop. The fear is having another Lamina, Hoedt, Boufal, Osvaldo, The Donkey, and all the other crap that we couldn't get rid of, except at a great loss.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, CWD said:

With so much talk of maintaining "the pathway" this week, it's got me wondering who we might lose this summer. Prime candidate in the media would seem to be JWP. Personally can't see it unless Newcastle stump up huge money.

I'm thinking KWP maybe more likely. He would easily fit into any of the top teams, and will have had two seasons of top level performances behind him.

Salisu is maybe another one, although I reckon he needs one more season here.

Btw, don't mean this to be a downer after a great week. I've accepted the pathway situation and trust that we have the ability to bring in decent replacements. 

Not saying we won't sell anyone, but the tactic of the pathway doesnt necessarily mean someone needs to be sold. For example signings could be made at CB (upgrade on Bednarek, possible replacement for Stephens whose contract extension was never officially confirmed), AM (upgrade on Djenepo, Walcott, Redmond) and striker (replacement for Broja and Long whose contract is up). Plus goalkeeper of course. 

Summer after we'd need to be looking to shift people on though. 

Having said that, if we were to sell anyone I think the most likely this summer would be Salisu and KWP - but I'd honestly rather keep KWP and sell Livramento. I think Tino will be off in a couple seasons anyway whereas KWP I could see being happy here for quite some time ala Bertrand.

Edited by Saint_clark
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

One benefit of being "safe" now, is we can give players like Lyanco and A Armstrong a bit more gametime to see if they can step up.  Would be nice to have one revelation between now and the summer.

Lyanco is injured mate 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

But not the whole season?

With a high grade hamstring tear - as opposed to strain or pull - probably yes. Like with groin injuries, as we saw with Stu, the return if there is any before the end of the season will be 10-15 minute cameos to build up before the summer. Lyanco would need to be making very good progress between now and then to be an option and most managers would not risk him needlessly especially as relegation risk is verging on non-existent this season. I could only see him being risked as a starter if we had to win the last couple of games to get into Europe and multiple other CBS were ruled out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wonder how much of the £70m loan we have spent during the COIVD period on operating costs (or is there any left in our bank account as available cash), and thus how much money we will need to find over the next X years in terms of income/profit and the effect that has on our decision making/available transfer funds?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Chez said:

Wonder how much of the £70m loan we have spent during the COIVD period on operating costs (or is there any left in our bank account as available cash), and thus how much money we will need to find over the next X years in terms of income/profit and the effect that has on our decision making/available transfer funds?

Ask Dan Sheldon to find out ask the club - he’s just joined and is over on the Norwich build up thread 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Ask Dan Sheldon to find out ask the club - he’s just joined and is over on the Norwich build up thread 

It will probably require access to the company accounts to know the answer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, adriansfc said:

Surely McCarthy signing a contract doesn't mean we can't sell him? I mean surely there's not one fan left who wants him as no1 next season? But I'd imagine he wants to be playing regularly. I don't think other clubs generally get just how bad he is. I can see there being a market at £5m or so. 

The club have made it far more difficult than it needed to be, but given how much better Forster has been we can't now go back. Forster is available to us for free. His wages aren't going to be as much as his last contract. Do we think we're signing a top keeper to come in alongside McCarthy for lower wages than Forster? Just give him a new 1 year deal. If he keeps playing like he has been, he stays our number 1. If he doesn't, we have more time to find the next keeper. 

Forster wouldn't accept a one year deal.

I'd keep McCarthy as back up and sign a new number 1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Chez said:

It will probably require access to the company accounts to know the answer.

I think he answered this in an episode of TSP. He hinted at the loan being seen as affordable debt and refinanced rather than getting repayed quickly after the takeover. But he also said that he had no concrete evidence that they would take this approach.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/02/2022 at 20:50, HarvSFC said:

I wonder if we would negotiate a release clause with Salisu to extend his deal, seeing as we negotiated a buy back clause for the first time to secure Livramento. I don't think we'd get Salisu's true value this summer and then the next he goes into his final year. Of course you'd also have to make the release clause enticing for the player, so he's not going to accept a release clause of say £60m-£75m. But, then of course, his agent could just be in his ear now telling him that he'd net at least £20m as a signing on fee if he sees out his contract here, which comes with its own risks (injuries, etc.) I guess we could work a gentlemen's agreement like we apparently did with Van Dijk without the circus of then rejecting a deal following, and Kane's situation last season also might dissuade players from that route.

Arghhh, too many scenarios! I don't envy the decision makers, but will be delighted if that announcement of a new contract comes up. (It's like his signing all over again).

There's no way he would get a 20m signing on fee. Van dijk only got 5m when he signed for Liverpool. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Streaky said:

There's no way he would get a 20m signing on fee. Van dijk only got 5m when he signed for Liverpool. 

Van Dijk only got £5m because he also cost Liverpool £75m in transfer fees. Clubs are now paying millions to players in signing on fees once their contract has expired, replacing the transfer fees and that's why so many players are now seeing out their deals. Juventus paid £14m to Emre Can back in 2018.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I guess it depends what other options Forster has and the terms we offering on one year deal. 

Macca shouldn’t be anywhere near the squad now.

it’s no coincidence of where we are in the league and cup compared to wen Macca had the gloves.

we’ve made enough mistakes with new contracts for the wrong personnel.

Fraser has surpassed Macca and our defence is more solid because of it.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Macca shouldn’t be anywhere near the squad now.

it’s no coincidence of where we are in the league and cup compared to wen Macca had the gloves.

we’ve made enough mistakes with new contracts for the wrong personnel.

Fraser has surpassed Macca and our defence is more solid because of it.

According to Dan we've already given Macca a new contract so probably made the mistake already, especially if its a 3 year one.

I can only hope the club gave him a contract on par with that of a 2nd choice, and not anything stupid like 75k or more.

Otherwise we're going to have to loan him out for a few years to get rid, I doubt anyone else would match wages higher than £75k unless we hope someone like City/Chelsea/Utd stupidly opt to pay that to have him as a 3rd choice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Macca shouldn’t be anywhere near the squad now.

it’s no coincidence of where we are in the league and cup compared to wen Macca had the gloves.

we’ve made enough mistakes with new contracts for the wrong personnel.

Fraser has surpassed Macca and our defence is more solid because of it.

 

Based on the last 8 games? Great short term thinking.

Forster cannot command his box for toffee.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, nta786 said:

According to Dan we've already given Macca a new contract so probably made the mistake already, especially if its a 3 year one.

I can only hope the club gave him a contract on par with that of a 2nd choice, and not anything stupid like 75k or more.

Otherwise we're going to have to loan him out for a few years to get rid, I doubt anyone else would match wages higher than £75k unless we hope someone like City/Chelsea/Utd stupidly opt to pay that to have him as a 3rd choice.

Been announced today but no info on wot his wages will be .. disappointed really ! I’m hoping we are in for a new keeper in the summer like Johnstone from wba ..ff is should be no 2 but if he also is offered a new contract soon we will be in the same boat if he dips in form .. new gk is high on our list for me .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Based on the last 8 games? Great short term thinking.

Forster cannot command his box for toffee.

He has improved massively and is head and shoulders above Macca .. I’d want Fraser as no 2 and a new goal keeper is priority .. I’m no stato but the calmness and quality now in our back 5 (inc gk) is clear for everyone to see .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

He has improved massively and is head and shoulders above Macca .. I’d want Fraser as no 2 and a new goal keeper is priority .. I’m no stato but the calmness and quality now in our back 5 (inc gk) is clear for everyone to see .

You cannot judge a keeper over 8 games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

 

Wouldn’t surprise me if we’ve looked at Harvey Vale, too.

I got confused when I saw that, as there is also a Xavi Simons at PSG who is a ridiculous talent, I thought it was him to start with!

I don't know a great deal about Xavier though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I got confused when I saw that, as there is also a Xavi Simons at PSG who is a ridiculous talent, I thought it was him to start with!

I don't know a great deal about Xavier though.

Yeah he’s another player, Dutch youngster. Also frustrated with a lack of opportunities at PSG despite signing for them at three months old and currently being aged seven 😂

Think his agent is peddling a lot of this.

 

As for the Chelsea youngster, I’ve never heard of him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})