Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

I'm sure with at least two keepers leaving - Forster & Caballero and probably 3 if Lewis goes, then we will need to get in two replacements, one to start and one as a number 3.  I would think the number 3 will be a youngster based on the clubs philosophy, unless there is another Caballero out there who is a very cost effective signing.

I don't think we will see much if any movement in or out in terms of first team squad defenders.  Some fringe yongsters might leave or go on loan.

Same for central midfielders, hopefully a contract renewal for Romeu.

I'd be amazed if Walcott left this summer.  He's doing his job as a squad player, putting pressure on other attacking midfielders to stake a claim in the matchday squad and providing experienced cover when needed.  I think it will be the same next season.  Wouldn't be surprised to see Moi or Djnepo leave for small fees, and perhaps a youngster come in to replace them

Striker is the big unknown.  Best case is signing Broja either permanently or for another year's loan.  If that's not possible we will need a replacement.  I'm sure we are already working on a number of scenarios.  I don't think we need to replace Long in the squad.

1 minute ago, Charlie Wayman said:

One window closes and we be do b*gg*r all business so why not start a speculative thread on the next window instead when the chances are we'll do b*gg*r all business again. Fans eh?

I think whatever the topic or whatever the thread, you can be relied upon to write some absolute drivel about it.

• Like 8
  • Haha 8

23 hours ago, Alanh said:

I'd be amazed if Walcott left this summer.  He's doing his job as a squad player, putting pressure on other attacking midfielders to stake a claim in the matchday squad and providing experienced cover when needed.  I think it will be the same next season.  Wouldn't be surprised to see Moi or Djnepo leave for small fees, and perhaps a youngster come in to replace them

So would I unless he's open to a massive wage cut to make attractive to someone else, I'm not even sure that would do it TBH.

Edited by Toussaint

23 hours ago, Alanh said:

I'm sure with at least two keepers leaving - Forster & Caballero and probably 3 if Lewis goes, then we will need to get in two replacements, one to start and one as a number 3.  I would think the number 3 will be a youngster based on the clubs philosophy, unless there is another Caballero out there who is a very cost effective signing.

I don't think we will see much if any movement in or out in terms of first team squad defenders.  Some fringe yongsters might leave or go on loan.

Same for central midfielders, hopefully a contract renewal for Romeu.

Striker is the big unknown.  Best case is signing Broja either permanently or for another year's loan.  If that's not possible we will need a replacement.  I'm sure we are already working on a number of scenarios.  I don't think we need to replace Long in the squad.

I don't know why you say you'd be amazed if Walcott left as he provides competition and cover, but then suggest we sell Djenepo and Elyounoussi for small fees.

4 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I don't know why you say you'd be amazed if Walcott left as he provides competition and cover, but then suggest we sell Djenepo and Elyounoussi for small fees.

Just their relative ages and career aspirations.  It's all assumption but I'm guessing that Theo accepts that he is on his last top level contract and will either retire or move down the football pyramid after his contract with us expires.  Moi and Djenepo are 27 amd 23 respectively so must have the ambition to extend their careers beyong the end of their current Saints contracts.  I reckon we can use that to sell them for small fees this summer.

I've read of Etienne Green previously in an earlier window. Sounds a promising keeper but I'd be hopeful that whoever we sign as GK is ready for the first team not a 'prospect' or 'one for the future'. We tried that with Gunn and ended up with McCarthy and FF retaining the position.

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

I've read of Etienne Green previously in an earlier window. Sounds a promising keeper but I'd be hopeful that whoever we sign as GK is ready for the first team not a 'prospect' or 'one for the future'. We tried that with Gunn and ended up with McCarthy and FF retaining the position.

Don't think he'd be one for the future, he'd be one for now.

He was a regular for Saint Ettiene from what I can see, got an injury and that has kept him out for a bit.

4 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Don't think he'd be one for the future, he'd be one for now.

He was a regular for Saint Ettiene from what I can see, got an injury and that has kept him out for a bit.

He was also not very good prior to his injury this season. 
Had a breakout season last season but he is very young and just shows that he is inconsistent. I would stay sway

• Like 1

As Palmeiras and Oeste finished their warm-ups on 19 January, scouts from Barcelona, Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester City, Southampton, Ajax and Benfica all took their seats ready for the quarter-finals of the Copa Sao Paulo, Brazil's premier youth competition.

We look a bit odd in that list, but good to see us scouting South America, IIRC under the old lot they said we only focused on Europe. 

13 hours ago, tajjuk said:

We look a bit odd in that list, but good to see us scouting South America, IIRC under the old lot they said we only focused on Europe. 

I'm sure I read somewhere with the new work permit rules its easier to get players from South America than Scandinavia these days, especially if they have been playing in the Copa Sudamericana/Libertadores.

In fact, watching the young lad scoring that goal - not sure why comparing him to the new Ronaldo, surely he is the new Rory Delap scoring overheads like that 😅

Edited by skintsaint
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Michael Craig from Spurs, does anyone know anything about him ?

Linked to us and is supposedly leaving Spuds.

He’s on trial. Played for the B team the other night. Might play Friday.

Think we’ve had 4 on trial. 

Edited by SuperSAINT