Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

On 22/02/2022 at 16:06, adriansfc said:

Surely McCarthy signing a contract doesn't mean we can't sell him? I mean surely there's not one fan left who wants him as no1 next season? But I'd imagine he wants to be playing regularly. I don't think other clubs generally get just how bad he is. I can see there being a market at £5m or so. 

The club have made it far more difficult than it needed to be, but given how much better Forster has been we can't now go back. Forster is available to us for free. His wages aren't going to be as much as his last contract. Do we think we're signing a top keeper to come in alongside McCarthy for lower wages than Forster? Just give him a new 1 year deal. If he keeps playing like he has been, he stays our number 1. If he doesn't, we have more time to find the next keeper. 

I suspect Forster already has other plans for next season, as do Saints. McCarthy will be our #2.

21 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Who makes way first team wise? 

We need competition/cover for Romeu so it makes sense to bring someone in.  Luckily OR hasn't had any significant injuries this season, but playing the second half of last season without a proper anchor in midfield really cost us.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

🤝 Transfer Talk

Manchester United are lining up a bid for Tino Livramento, according to The Express.

Ralf Rangnick wants to strengthen his right back position, despite already having Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Diogo Dalot.

#saintsfc https://t.co/vPwAlcuURT

Don’t Chelsea have first dibs anyway? Aside from the obvious points that - we can say no and why would he go somewhere he won’t play when he’s “as good as” first choice with us...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Don’t Chelsea have first dibs anyway? Aside from the obvious points that - 1) we can say no and why would he go 2) somewhere he won’t play when he’s “as good as” first choice with us...

1) Buy back clauses don't allow the new club to turn an offer down from the first club. The player can of course turn down any move if they want.

2) He wouldn't currently start instead of Reece James, but he is better than every Man Utd right back.

18 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

1) Buy back clauses don't allow the new club to turn an offer down from the first club. The player can of course turn down any move if they want.

2) He wouldn't currently start instead of Reece James, but he is better than every Man Utd right back.

Hmm I disagree. I just think we have the better coach/manager who has us playing with a system which is allowing our fullbacks to flourish, almost opposite to Man U.
Having said that, they’re still 14 pts ahead of us but with the sorts of money they spend it should obviously be more.

Too early to say Tino is better than AWB/Dalot but certainly in the future I think he can surpass them both.

6 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

I suspect Forster already has other plans for next season, as do Saints. McCarthy will be our #2.

One bad injury to a new keeper and McCarthy is back as first choice for a significant period of time. We should not be keeping him ffs.

5 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

🤝 Transfer Talk

Manchester United are lining up a bid for Tino Livramento, according to The Express.

Ralf Rangnick wants to strengthen his right back position, despite already having Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Diogo Dalot.

#saintsfc https://t.co/vPwAlcuURT

I might get slammed for saying this but if this is true it could be the best thing for us. If we can get £40million plus for him a year after spending £5million that enables us to ensure we keep KWP - a much better player - and gives us a really good amount of money to invest, possibly even funding a deal for Broja.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

One bad injury to a new keeper and McCarthy is back as first choice for a significant period of time. We should not be keeping him ffs.

I might get slammed for saying this but if this is true it could be the best thing for us. If we can get £40million plus for him a year after spending £5million that enables us to ensure we keep KWP - a much better player - and gives us a really good amount of money to invest, possibly even funding a deal for Broja.

Lets see what happens, we've got a lot of exciting talent and the backroom staff and recruitment has been very good the past few windows. If we sell a key player then i look forward to a couple of class new editions.

Only players i'd be gutted to see us sell are JWP and Romeu as I think they are effectively perfect for our playstyle and it would be difficult to get like for like replacements (might get lynched for saying that). But reality is, that as good as Perraud, KWP, livramento, Salisu are etc, we can always go out and find more of them. There aren't many battling CDMs like Rom with his control, and JWP is turning into the perfect all round CM for us. Stu as well would be hard to replace, we've signed so many CAMs over the years, and none have had the impact he has.

• Like 1

Very few players from overseas leagues hit the ground running, whatever the price bracket. The only league aside from ours where most players appear to be at least competitive from the start appears to be Scotland. So should we be looking there for relative bargains. I like Mitrovic at Fulham but i'm guessing he's out of price range with the season he's having. The youngsters from other clubs is a decent route but you can't populate the first team like that, you need experience. The main priority needs to be a keeper, followed by a striker.

14 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I didn't say that I thought it was a good idea, merely pointing out what (I believe) has happened, really doesn't matter what we think, its a done deal. But this is what a #2 Keeper is for, isn't it? Cover for when your first choice is unavailable, long term injuries to keepers are fortunately fairly rare. McCarthy isn't completely useless, indeed the beginning of this season right up until the game he was injured he was far better than last season (as stated by many on here). What I do wonder is why it is taking him so long to get back to fitness, a hammy for a keeper does not usually take this long to recover, perhaps Ralph lost it with him after his last game and told him he was no longer wanted, he was certainly fairly pissed off at the time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

I didn't say that I thought it was a good idea, merely pointing out what (I believe) has happened, really doesn't matter what we think, its a done deal. But this is what a #2 Keeper is for, isn't it? Cover for when your first choice is unavailable, long term injuries to keepers are fortunately fairly rare. McCarthy isn't completely useless, indeed the beginning of this season right up until the game he was injured he was far better than last season (as stated by many on here). What I do wonder is why it is taking him so long to get back to fitness, a hammy for a keeper does not usually take this long to recover, perhaps Ralph lost it with him after his last game and told him he was no longer wanted, he was certainly fairly pissed off at the time.

I thought McCarthy was at his worst for us this season truth be told. Consistently at fault for goals conceded and we've been much better in that department since Forster came in.

• Like 1

On 22/02/2022 at 14:52, Toadhall Saint said:

I thought Semmens had said that the loan did not impact our transfer dealings - I could be wrong tho 

I take comments like that with a pinch of salt. A £70m debt that will grow to over £100m by the time the first contractual payment is required will have a bearing on transfer funds. We either start paying this debt down now or later. Whatever decision is made, the budget is smaller. By how much though.

22 hours ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

If Burnley go down I'd like to see us go after Dwight McNeil.

he is a quality footballer.  Slightly surprised no one big has trued to sign him. Maybe they have and failed. Maybe its that lack of outstanding pace, which you perhaps want of a player who plays wide left midfield.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

On 23/02/2022 at 11:40, nta786 said:

According to Dan we've already given Macca a new contract so probably made the mistake already, especially if its a 3 year one.

I can only hope the club gave him a contract on par with that of a 2nd choice, and not anything stupid like 75k or more.

Otherwise we're going to have to loan him out for a few years to get rid, I doubt anyone else would match wages higher than £75k unless we hope someone like City/Chelsea/Utd stupidly opt to pay that to have him as a 3rd choice.

Yep, it's too late by the sounds of things and I think you have described his likely contract perfectly. Three years at £75k a week. 

He was first choice at the time he was given a new contract. He wasn't given a new contract to be second choice keeper. The wage will reflect that. So £75k would be a fair guess.

3 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Depends on the extent of the injury. Speaking from experience, tear a muscle and it can be months.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

I take comments like that with a pinch of salt. A £70m debt that will grow to over £100m by the time the first contractual payment is required will have a bearing on transfer funds. We either start paying this debt down now or later. Whatever decision is made, the budget is smaller. By how much though.

Ok but has he lied so far? I’m with you in so far as it must have an impact but…..

1 hour ago, Chez said:

by my maths 3x0=0

😉

Oh, that was harsh. 😀

From what I picked up in Ralph's recent praise of Forster, was that he was a solid traditional sort of keepr. Reading behind that, is that he's keen to upgrade to a super, modern agile sweeper-keeper. I hope our scouting dept can deliver all of that for him. It will be a heck of a 'keeper, whoever he is, for our price range.

I'd be perfectly happy seeing Forster in the team for the forseeable. But he'll certaily want to weigh up his options after some difficlut times here. By that time, we may well have moved on.

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson
tippo..darn..typo...
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

A keeper that caught my eye a while back while watching a Ligue 1 game was Alban Lafont, just looked him up more in depth and he's a good age at 23, plays for Nantes so would be available at a reasonable price you'd expect. 

Obligatory highlights video; https://youtu.be/ubnvJO0E3lE

He had a great game against PSG last weekend. Nantes beat them in a surprise 3-1 win. Couldn't do anything for the goal, which took a deflection. He also saved a Neymar penalty. If we got him it would be one of those "insane" signings. But, sadly, I think he's a level above our market.

1 hour ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Oh, that was harsh. 😀

From what I picked up in Ralph's recent praise of Forster, was that he was a solid traditional sort of keepr. Reading behind that, is that he's keen to upgrade to a super, modern agile sweeper-keeper. I hope our scouting dept can deliver all of that for him. It will be a heck of a 'keeper, whoever he is, for our price range.

I'd be perfectly happy seeing Forster in the team for the forseeable. But he'll certaily want to weigh up his options after some difficlut times here. By that time, we may well have moved on.

DT's value of McCathy is 0, not mine.

I'd agree with you except McCarthy was given a contract, so that is the `style' of keeper Ralph wanted. I don't buy this idea that McCarthy has been signed as a #2. He's been signed as a #1 on a number 1 contract. Hopefully the `new' keeper in will be brilliant.

More than happy to see Forster in goal for the rest of the season. After that he is gone. He didn't sign a new deal and he will walk IMO. Never say never though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

This to me is generally the most important stat, then maybe with things like % of crosses claimed etc.

Distribution is a bonus but I want my GKs to be largely focussed on shot stopping.

No surprise to me that Gunn is at the bottom, I also feel when I watch Norwich highlights it seems that way too. Also, Foster's priority these days seem to be Youtube so no shock he is down there too. Although ofc both teams don't have the best back 4.

47 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

When do we starting going through the teams going down, what players we could buy HCDAJFU, then argue about they must be shit as in a team getting relegated?

This is a great shout and a true, time-honoured tradition.

I’ll start with ex-Saints linkee Emmanuel Dennis*

—————————-

*MLG Notes — I’m aware Watford haven’t been relegated.

12 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Hopefully we stop being linked to Johnstone. Goals at 1:27 and 1:50:

Think he was unsighted for the first one and just couldn't react in time, but the second one was very poor. No semi-competent keeper should be letting that in.

We can definitely find better.

What should Saints do if they get a big offer for Tino in the summer?  Say £60mish, which I know is high but Man U paid £50m for AWB so possible imo.  If he keeps progressing as he has it’d likely be a no brainier for Chelski to buy him back in 18 months, even if just as a squad played behind James.  Is having him for another season worth potentially losing £20m in sales that could be reinvested? Esp given with have KWP already?  

Of course he may refuse to go back to Chelski or pick another club, but I would wager he’d want to go back and prove himself there over most other teams that may buy him.

15 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

What should Saints do if they get a big offer for Tino in the summer?  Say £60mish, which I know is high but Man U paid £50m for AWB so possible imo.  If he keeps progressing as he has it’d likely be a no brainier for Chelski to buy him back in 18 months, even if just as a squad played behind James.  Is having him for another season worth potentially losing £20m in sales that could be reinvested? Esp given with have KWP already?  

Of course he may refuse to go back to Chelski or pick another club, but I would wager he’d want to go back and prove himself there over most other teams that may buy him.

We should bite their hand off, £60m for our second best right back would be "insane"

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

£60m for a RB that cost £5m 9 months ago?  Sell

Edited by AlexLaw76

40 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Bye Tino, buy Broja 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

I'd sell for anything significantly over £40m. His value is capped at that so its makes financial sense.  Our best team has him in it (and KWP at LB) but KWP Perraud isn't much of a step down at all. Sell and reinvest if the offer comes in.

35 minutes ago, Turkish said:

We should bite their hand off, £60m for our second best right back would be "insane"

£55m profit for one year investment, would be one of the best deals we've ever done. Doubt he is worth £60m though.

It's one of those scenarios where the profit margin is ridiculously high, so it would be odd not to take it. Like what if we were offered £200m for Salisu, and he doesn't want to renew his contract and wants to go. Assuming Tino wanted to go, then fine. Ideally it would be to a much "bigger" club, so we could show off our pathway to the stars, or whatever, to future signings. 

I initially went with JWP instead of Salisu, but I'd really rather JWP never left. I'd rather Salisu didn't either, but there's that contract expiry date...

4 hours ago, Barsiem said:

What should Saints do if they get a big offer for Tino in the summer?  Say £60mish, which I know is high but Man U paid £50m for AWB so possible imo.  

I can't see anyone paying £60m for Tino this summer...even if we reach the FA Cup final where he has a blinder. But we can live in hope.

2 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-fc-how-roman-abramovich-decision-affect-summer-transfer-plans-b985271.html

Lots of speculation that Chelski may be looking to offload players, including two of our targets.

If they want cover for Reese James, I wonder if there'll be a deal to be done swapping Livramento for Broja, Anjorin + a bit of cash.

1 hour ago, verlaine1979 said:

If they want cover for Reese James, I wonder if there'll be a deal to be done swapping Livramento for Broja, Anjorin + a bit of cash.

I assume you mean Livramento + cash for Broja and Anjorin as there's no way they give us two young top prospects for one right back with half a season of good football under his belt.

That's forgetting that swap deals almost never happen anyway, let alone involving three players.

5 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

I was wondering if there is a deal to be done where we can cancel the buy back clause with Livramento, sell him to Man United for £70m, buy Broja, Anjorin and Connor Gallagher for £30m and then get Livramento back on loan for two seasons. With the other £40m maybe a cheeky big for Jorginho as long term replacement for Romeu?

• Haha 5

Just now, Turkish said:

I was wondering if there is a deal to be done where we can cancel the buy back clause with Livramento, sell him to Man United for £70m, buy Broja, Anjorin and Connor Gallagher for £30m and then get Livramento back on loan for two seasons. With the other £40m maybe a cheeky big for Jorginho as long term replacement for Romeu?

Sounds plausible Del. Maybe they could throw in Kepa on a loan and cover his wages?