Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

15 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I'd hope we have money available before we sell, after our new takeover I'd be disappointed if we didn't have a £30m ish figure available 'today' to improve the squad.

Add maybe £20m for Bednarek and you're not far from that £60m figure. (And the enormous wage bill savings from Forster leaving) There are players like Dael Fry who will be chepish, and even Tarkowski who'd be available on a freebie if we wanted to go down that route. Loan market is very viable as well.

I didn't think we'd do much last year, but we did bring in 6 players. I can see a similar influx this year in the other area's that need it.

Yeah, agree with much of that. If we can get circa £20m for JB - ought to be able to as a regular for a decent Poland side - and possibly £10-15m for some others whose game time has diminished eg Redmond might be at a stage of career where he wants to start every week we can strengthen a few positions with starting quality players with a good development ceiling, of which Dael Fry or the Forest CB Worrall are good examples. Forster going eases the wage bill further, don’t know what will happen with McCarthy as seems frozen out but Dan Sheldon indicated had signed a new deal. Could be offered on a low fee and go to another PL outfit as #2 or #3 as he only cost £2m in the first place. 

Ely will be interesting - one year to go, having a decent season but no talk of a new contract so may be sold. Would be comfortable if he signed on longer but equally if the club shake up the 10s with him and maybe Nathan going I’m comfortable as well. Theo’s second year is a frustration but not the end of the world.

Broja back to Chelsea probably and Long going/retiring means at least one new striker, possibly two if club assess AA won’t cut it. Plenty of Champ clubs especially those relegated this season would be interested. 

We’ve established Diallo is JWP partner/competition contingent on the system used so OR needs DM competition/cover/long term successor, more of the emerging type signing Diallo was but as an actual DM. Full backs are fine so the one area as is unless Livra is sold. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if Long got a new deal. Broja will return to Chelsea and we won't have funds to acquire two strikers. There isn't a youth team striker coming through. Adams and Armstrong won't be going anywhere. 

Not sure how much he'd cost but Albert Lafont from Nantes would be worth looking at as far as keepers go.

He looks like an absolute perfect signing for our style of play. Fast and agile, closes out 1 on 1's superbly. Also excellent with his feet which would I'm sure make everyone happy.

He's young at only 23 but has already played nearly 250 games.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Cat said:

Not sure how much he'd cost but Albert Lafont from Nantes would be worth looking at as far as keepers go.

He looks like an absolute perfect signing for our style of play. Fast and agile, closes out 1 on 1's superbly. Also excellent with his feet which would I'm sure make everyone happy.

You obviously watch Nantes a lot then.

4 hours ago, saint1977 said:

We’ve established Diallo is JWP partner/competition contingent on the system used so OR needs DM competition/cover/long term successor, more of the emerging type signing Diallo was but as an actual DM. Full backs are fine so the one area as is unless Livra is sold. 

Slight point of concern, I'd be surprised if Diallo is happy with his current involvement tbh. He's had very few minutes this season and you wouldn't blame him if is considering his options. Say he waits for JWP to be sold/injured etc, his contract will be running down by then and we'll be nearing the time when we should be selling him to maximise his value. Awkward one really.

3 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Slight point of concern, I'd be surprised if Diallo is happy with his current involvement tbh. He's had very few minutes this season and you wouldn't blame him if is considering his options. Say he waits for JWP to be sold/injured etc, his contract will be running down by then and we'll be nearing the time when we should be selling him to maximise his value. Awkward one really.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/20011041.midfielder-squashes-suggestion-southampton-exit-wants-fight-place/

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

You obviously watch Nantes a lot then.

Well obviously not, but I have seen a couple of games and there's also this thing called the internet that has a lot of information on it.

He's certainly better than any of our bang average keepers.

5 hours ago, The Cat said:

I'd prefer his brother Alban Lafont, also from Nantes.

July 4, 2022 - Saints make Font Swap.

Southampton FC are proud to annouce that their website will now be in times new roman font. Elsewhere, still no news about a new goalkeeper, after the departures of Forster, McCarthy, Cabellero, Lewis and Kelvin Davis refusing to go back onto the playing squad.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

July 4, 2022 - Saints make Font Swap.

Southampton FC are proud to annouce that their website will now be in times new roman font. Elsewhere, still no news about a new goalkeeper, after the departures of Forster, McCarthy, Cabellero, Lewis and Kelvin Davis refusing to go back onto the playing squad.

Surprised at the Font swap, though. Thought he was happy at Lille

56 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Spuds  think they are nailed on cert with tino move !! 
have to say if we sell to those cunts again Il be gutted ! Especially the wonder kid ! 

What was the pre arranged buy back clause for him? £45m? 

If tottenham want to offer us that for him, then they can have him. 

1 hour ago, Dman said:

What was the pre arranged buy back clause for him? £45m? 

If tottenham want to offer us that for him, then they can have him. 

£40m I believe and I agree - they could have him for that. He has impressed a little less as the season has gone on, although I have no doubt he is going to be a very good player. £35m profit is not to be sniffed at. I'm much more concerned about holding on to what we have (Tino excepted) this summer, in particular JWP, KWP, Salisu, Broja I think we need to accept is going. That could leave us running to stand still, as per usual.

53 minutes ago, Mattster said:

£40m I believe and I agree - they could have him for that. He has impressed a little less as the season has gone on, although I have no doubt he is going to be a very good player. £35m profit is not to be sniffed at. I'm much more concerned about holding on to what we have (Tino excepted) this summer, in particular JWP, KWP, Salisu, Broja I think we need to accept is going. That could leave us running to stand still, as per usual.

we are always going to be running to stand still I guess. As always, it will be about who and when they leave. You hope it is kind of on our terms, although it never really is. 

Ideally someone like Bednerak leaves for £20m, and no one else, enabling us to possibly strengthen as a squad. The possibility is, Salisu and KWP go and we have serious work to do to even stand still. Fingers crossed.

Edited by Chez

Yeah, we could see bids for Salisu, KWP, JWP, Tino, Bednerek or even Stu.

If it's any of all of those, it's not guaranteed that the club will look to reinvest in that postion. If KWP goes, they may feel that Tino/Peraud/Small is enough. Or if it's Bednerek, that Salisu, Lyanco, Stephens and Valery are sufficient. 

They may choose to strengthen in goals or up front with Broja replacement with any funds they get. Any others could be up and coming talent (actually the Forster/ Broja replacements could also be that)

Lots of possibilities.

I think the three positions we need to strengthen are

1 striker to replace broja, would love to get him but unlikely. Whoever it is let’s hope it’s someone who can strike a football with a bit of finesse as at the moment we only have 3 scuffy finishers in AA che and long.. from the kind of players we have been going for delap from city could be a realistic shout 

2 a number 10. Whilst it’s good that elyounoussi has finally managed to get redmond out of the team we could still do with someone with a ton of creativity . Could you imigine the difference in our attacking play if we had a prime lallana now.. stuey is great but we could still do with another that could really make a huge difference 

3 cb.. need to upgrade on Stephen’s and Bednarek.a good partner for salisu would help a lot 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal

On 02/02/2022 at 21:12, Chez said:

It tends to be a one in, one out type deal these days. So, four keepers, a centre back and two strikers to replace:

Willy Caballero, Alex McCarthy, Fraser Forster, Harry Lewis

Jack Stephens

Shane Long, Armando Broja

...unless we somehow sell a player we don't want or lose someone we do.

I return to this post showing the out of contract players this summer. If McCarthy and Stephens deals are done as suggested, then the priority is to find two keepers (maybe one if Caballero gets another year) and two strikers (possibly one if Long gets another year).

I'm not good at knowing who should come in, but my view on our priorities are as follows.

1.  Goalkeeping no doubt.  Personally I'd change them all out and go fresh with a starter and a back up.  I'm hoping it's not true AM has signed a new contract; if he has then he's the back up.  Fraser is having a good spell, but our first choice keeper needs to be younger, more agile and better with his feet.  

2.  Strikers.  2 possibly, assuming Broja goes.  Much as I love Shane, he's not the future and needs to go.  I'd like AA to have a run to determine if he is good enough to start next year or continue as 3rd choice.  If he is then an exciting youngster I've never heard of.  If he's not then a more established striker (again probably that I've never heard of).

3.  Number 10s.  We need to make decisions on Moussa and Moi, and possibly Redmond (and I'd like to see Theo gone if that's possible).  We have plenty of bodies in this position but not sure if we have enough quality.  So I'd be swapping out 1, 2 or 3 of our current crop in an attempt to upgrade.

Defensively I think we are covered at FB.  

Central defence is one where I'd actually settle for what we have or do a Vestergaard sale for Bednarek and bring in a maturer figure.  I'm hoping Lyanco and Simeu come through. Obviously if Salisu goes this summer there is a rather large hole to fill.

The only person we don't have like for like cover for is Oriol.  It's not an easy hole to fill.  I think JWP could play there, and might end up there in a couple of years.  So perhaps a youngster pinched from somewhere would be good?

The conundrum for me is Nathan Tella.  I really like him, I guess as a 10, but Ralph can't seem to decide where to play him (and so doesn't)

5 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Shame it’s from Crook

Yeah, that's ruined it.

There will be some interesting options from Ukraine and Russia due to the crappy situation out there, but players like Tete will have much higher clubs than us after them - he is a proper player, champions league level.

6 hours ago, Master Bates said:

Like the idea of having an Attila in the defence, should strike fear into the opposition.

This bloke was heavily linked with Chelsea before the January window, I think £25m was bandied about in the press. 

32 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah, that's ruined it.

There will be some interesting options from Ukraine and Russia due to the crappy situation out there, but players like Tete will have much higher clubs than us after them - he is a proper player, champions league level.

I'll bow to your greater knowledge of him then as he looked a bit of a show pony on the youtube clip I saw.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Like the idea of having an Attila in the defence, should strike fear into the opposition.

This bloke was heavily linked with Chelsea before the January window, I think £25m was bandied about in the press. 

I'll bow to your greater knowledge of him then as he looked a bit of a show pony on the youtube clip I saw.

I've always thought he was pretty decent tbh, certainly when I've seen him in the European games. Always seems to have been at Shakhtar and is the one they always point out as a threat.

But if we are looking over there, from that Shakhtar side I prefer Solomon - the little Israelian winger they've got, quality.

Definitely some interesting players in those leagues who could add in positions we lack.

13 hours ago, Badger said:

Apparently we are in advanced talks with him .. source is our very own “the ugly inside”

he looks fantastic.. fast..dynamic and skillfull! 
Milan and benfica .. Leicester and Brentford also sniffing around but according to the above we are in the box seat ! #tete

14 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Yes, would be happy with that. He was quality for Hungary in the Euro's from what I remember. 

If that's the calibre of centre backs we're looking at them I'm happy.

Yes he ticks a lot of boxes at 24 he's young for a centre back, he's definitely Hungary in more ways than one and therefore guarenteed to massively improve

22 hours ago, The Left Back said:

I'm not good at knowing who should come in, but my view on our priorities are as follows.

1.  Goalkeeping no doubt.  Personally I'd change them all out and go fresh with a starter and a back up.  I'm hoping it's not true AM has signed a new contract; if he has then he's the back up.  Fraser is having a good spell, but our first choice keeper needs to be younger, more agile and better with his feet.  

2.  Strikers.  2 possibly, assuming Broja goes.  Much as I love Shane, he's not the future and needs to go.  I'd like AA to have a run to determine if he is good enough to start next year or continue as 3rd choice.  If he is then an exciting youngster I've never heard of.  If he's not then a more established striker (again probably that I've never heard of).

3.  Number 10s.  We need to make decisions on Moussa and Moi, and possibly Redmond (and I'd like to see Theo gone if that's possible).  We have plenty of bodies in this position but not sure if we have enough quality.  So I'd be swapping out 1, 2 or 3 of our current crop in an attempt to upgrade.

Defensively I think we are covered at FB.  

Central defence is one where I'd actually settle for what we have or do a Vestergaard sale for Bednarek and bring in a maturer figure.  I'm hoping Lyanco and Simeu come through. Obviously if Salisu goes this summer there is a rather large hole to fill.

The only person we don't have like for like cover for is Oriol.  It's not an easy hole to fill.  I think JWP could play there, and might end up there in a couple of years.  So perhaps a youngster pinched from somewhere would be good?

The conundrum for me is Nathan Tella.  I really like him, I guess as a 10, but Ralph can't seem to decide where to play him (and so doesn't)

The names you've listed highlights the issue. None of those players are 'number 10s'. They're all wingers who at times have been shoe horned into a more central number 10 role to limited effect. We need a Tadic-type player who plays between the lines and is used as a link man between the midfield and the striker(s). Our interest in Carvalho shows that this is a position we're looking to fill. In creating the necessary squad space I would certainly look to move Moussa and Walcott on, while keeping Moi and Redmond.

41 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Being linked with Harry Winks again with us Palace supposedly registered an interest. 

Hope not, he's rubbish and can only pass sideways and backwards !! They're desperate to get rid so let's not it be to us :(

4 minutes ago, greenwood said:

Hope not, he's rubbish and can only pass sideways and backwards !! They're desperate to get rid so let's not it be to us :(

Was decent when he broke through but seems to have lost his way. Don’t see where he fits in though, not better than Ward Prowse or Romeu

On 22/03/2022 at 08:34, Chez said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Long got a new deal. Broja will return to Chelsea and we won't have funds to acquire two strikers. There isn't a youth team striker coming through. Adams and Armstrong won't be going anywhere. 

Luke Pearce seems to be highly rated as an up-and-coming prospect

53 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

What happened to Dom Ballard?

Nothing happened to him. He was on the bench for England U17's yesterday.

Olaigbe has been playing for U23's consistently and is probably our stand out player. He was just in the Belgian U19 squad and came on as sub in their 2 games.

Southampton & Crystal Palace have both expressed an interest in Tottenham midfielder Harry Winks, the 26-year-old will be allowed to leave this summer should a ‘sensible offer’ arrive #saintsfc [

@AJ_Wood15

, star]

Christ almighty. Really hope not. He's absolute gash

44 minutes ago, DT said:

Southampton & Crystal Palace have both expressed an interest in Tottenham midfielder Harry Winks, the 26-year-old will be allowed to leave this summer should a ‘sensible offer’ arrive #saintsfc [

@AJ_Wood15

, star]

Christ almighty. Really hope not. He's absolute gash

A sensible offer……ok 2 pints of Perridge and bag of chilli nuts