Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Long got another year. AA seems to be totally out of the picture now. 

Very much doubt AA is out the picture, has been called a long term project. Che played a similar number of minutes in his first season.

Will be interesting to see who plays Chelsea as I think Long makes more sense as a late sub but I think AA is the better starter

• Like 1

Come the start of the summer window we'll likely be left with AA and Adams as our only striking options. Cant see us moving AA on and recent comments from Ralph seem to suggest that also. I have no issue with us giving him more time to try to adapt to the PL

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Come the start of the summer window we'll likely be left with AA and Adams as our only striking options. Cant see us moving AA on and recent comments from Ralph seem to suggest that also. I have no issue with us giving him more time to try to adapt to the PL

I think Tella is seen as a striker.

31 minutes ago, TWar said:

They can have him if they want. Their second choice goalie is only there on loan, so picking up an English player to be their squad player makes sense in terms of their quota. He won't play much.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

They can have him if they want. Their second choice goalie is only there on loan, so picking up an English player to be their squad player makes sense in terms of their quota. He won't play much.

Yeah I don't want him that much anymore, has had a dire season. Henderson should be our focus imo.

1 hour ago, TWar said:

Yeah I don't want him that much anymore, has had a dire season. Henderson should be our focus imo.

He’s not been great by all accounts from what I’ve heard from west brom fans, but I haven’t seen much myself so can’t comment. Also, seems like he’s not happy there and wants the move, which naturally leads to decrease in performance, so I’d be reluctant to judge him on this season alone. 

Agree Henderson should be focus, because he’s just better. I can’t see him being achievable, if I’m honest. 

18 hours ago, TWar said:

Very much doubt AA is out the picture, has been called a long term project.

Agreed. Not sure why fans are writing him off completely. OK, so it hasn't gone as well as everyone hoped, but get his confidence back in the summer and maybe things click into place again.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Chez said:

Agreed. Not sure why fans are writing him off completely. OK, so it hasn't gone as well as everyone hoped, but get his confidence back in the summer and maybe things click into place again.

I wonder what it says about a player who cannot command a regular starting slot at his club that he doesn't want away to try his luck at a different club. If football is his priority and he is not getting game time here then why would he want to stay? Is it just the money as contracts can be set aside easily these days?

2 hours ago, TWar said:

If that rumour is true, then i am surprised he wants to be back up to a golden glove winner with many more years ahead of him. We need a keeper with the ability, ambition, and mentality to become a good premier league no.1. We don't want another backup level keeper - and Johnstone would be kissing his england hopes good bye with that kind of role.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

Fabio Carvalho would’ve been a good signing, fits in with our young, upcoming player ethos. Can’t see him flourishing being sixth choice at Liverpool, seems more a money move than a career opportunity. Also turned into a beast on my FIFA22 career mode 🤣

Then again based on that we should be making a play for Justin Kluivert (Roma), Jordan Tezé (PSV) and Benjamin Sesko (RB Salzburg). 😅

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I wonder what it says about a player who cannot command a regular starting slot at his club that he doesn't want away to try his luck at a different club. If football is his priority and he is not getting game time here then why would he want to stay? Is it just the money as contracts can be set aside easily these days?

Seriously. Do you expect every player that is dropped to make an immediate transfer request?

Players work damn hard to get to the top flight. You don't quit that dream just because things don't go well straight away.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, vectraman said:

If Burnley go down, which is very possible, i’d like us to go for Nick Pope as our keeper. Better than what we have in every way, experienced, and I’d hope affordable for us 🤞🤞

No, can we stop it with over rated english keepers? There are so many gems in Europe available for half the price it would costs to bring in an english one

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, vectraman said:

If Burnley go down, which is very possible, i’d like us to go for Nick Pope as our keeper. Better than what we have in every way, experienced, and I’d hope affordable for us 🤞🤞

No way. We will be looking for a keeper comfortable playing the ball out with his feet, neither of our current ones are and Pope is worse.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

Shop window?

I think playing matches is the shop window. Photos of them training are more like the sales bin with a hand written "99p" sign on a luminous piece of card.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Katalinic said:

No way. We will be looking for a keeper comfortable playing the ball out with his feet, neither of our current ones are and Pope is worse.

I understand he’s not an Ederson, but I think we’d need two new centrebacks as well to comfortably play out from the back.
Whenever we play out or as I call it “piss around at the back” we look like we are going to concede as we are closed down and start playing  increasingly desperate and suicidal passes. 
it gives me kittens watching it because we aren’t good enough to do it reliably. Obviously the cool and hip way to play, but I bet we concede more from errors doing it, than we ever create in goals at the opposition end.

I agree Forster and McCarthy don’t do it well, and a more comfortable with ball at his feet type might, but I’d rather we got a keeper who makes saves, dominates his area, and isn’t the team’s weak link. 
Saying there are loads in European football who are cheap and better is all well and good, but you’ve got to pick the right one, based on zero PL experience. 
Who is to say you don’t pick another Gazziniga, rather than the new Ederson?

I really hope we're taking a look at Etienne Green. A future star goalkeeper in my opinion and he would fit the bill as a young, up and coming player with a large mark up. I'm pretty sure his name has been mentioned on here before.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I really hope we're taking a look at Etienne Green. A future star goalkeeper in my opinion and he would fit the bill as a young, up and coming player with a large mark up. I'm pretty sure his name has been mentioned on here before.

And English, well half English.

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

He s not even playing regurlarly for Saint Etienne

3 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

He s not even playing regurlarly for Saint Etienne

In his defense, he was a regular until he was put out over a month with an elbow injury mid December. They signed a new goalkeeper on a 6 month loan at the start of January before Green came back from injury. Maybe they thought he would be out for longer and perhaps the new on-loan goalkeeper has been undroppable.

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

I listen to the podcast and remembered his name being brought up on here a few weeks ago. I've seen a couple St Etienne games this season with Green in the team. He seemed very comfortable with the ball at his feet. Livramento had no senior experience at all before joining us but that didn't put the club or Hasenhuttl off. We're after talent before they become expensive.

Edited by Disco Stu

16 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I think positions like GK and CB we need experience, can’t rely on kids on lead and boss the team.

I’d rather we had someone who had been doing it year after year for a few seasons.

Perhaps, but I do think Green will undoubtably become a Premier League goalkeeper so I hope we're considering him. Salisu was about the same age when he signed. He had one season in La Liga and one season in the reserves playing in Spain's div 3. I would say he's been our best centre half since he stepped into the team.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, vectraman said:

I understand he’s not an Ederson, but I think we’d need two new centrebacks as well to comfortably play out from the back.
Whenever we play out or as I call it “piss around at the back” we look like we are going to concede as we are closed down and start playing  increasingly desperate and suicidal passes. it gives me kittens watching it because we aren’t good enough to do it reliably. Obviously the cool and hip way to play, but I bet we concede more from errors doing it, than we ever create in goals at the opposition end.

I don't see this at all. Our centre backs are pretty good ball players. They don't make me nervous at all when they are on the ball. Suicidal passes? Can you give a few examples. I can't recall a single occasion a CB has fucked us when passing out from the back this season. World class? No, but Salisu for example pings a decent ball with pace to full backs. I've never been a Bednarek fan, but he handles the ball OK and keeps it simple.

We don't "piss around" with it at the back*. You have to keep the ball at this level.

Tell me which top ten side doesn't play out from the back?

*kiss of death right there

15 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

I see PSG are offering Mbappe £150m signing on fee plus a net £21m a year for 2 years if he would stay ! What chance have the likes of Saints got !

I’m still not convinced we were ever really his first choice 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Chez said:

I don't see this at all. Our centre backs are pretty good ball players. They don't make me nervous at all when they are on the ball. Suicidal passes? Can you give a few examples. I can't recall a single occasion a CB has fucked us when passing out from the back this season. World class? No, but Salisu for example pings a decent ball with pace to full backs. I've never been a Bednarek fan, but he handles the ball OK and keeps it simple.

We don't "piss around" with it at the back*. You have to keep the ball at this level.

The first goal Watford scored recently was a bit of a passing around the back nightmare, but other than that it's more the crowd panicking about something which the players have under control.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Chez said:

Just a couple of weeks ago at home to Watford. Salisu set up Hernandez beautifully for their first goal….

1 hour ago, vectraman said:

Just a couple of weeks ago at home to Watford. Salisu set up Hernandez beautifully for their first goal….

you've got me there. Strangely, the following week I didn't feel nervous at all when he or Bednarek had the ball at their feet. I have a lot more confidence in them than say, Claus, or many other CBs that have played for us.

17 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

I see PSG are offering Mbappe £150m signing on fee plus a net £21m a year for 2 years if he would stay ! What chance have the likes of Saints got !

Well once Ralph has got hold of him to do his 'off the ball work' and defensive duties he'll be like Long mk2 

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

The first goal Watford scored recently was a bit of a passing around the back nightmare, but other than that it's more the crowd panicking about something which the players have under control.

"Get it fucking forward!"

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Perhaps, but I do think Green will undoubtably become a Premier League goalkeeper so I hope we're considering him. Salisu was about the same age when he signed. He had one season in La Liga and one season in the reserves playing in Spain's div 3. I would say he's been our best centre half since he stepped into the team.

I ve seen nothing from him to suggest that he is ready to become a prem goalkeeper. We can do much better abroad. If he wasn t english we wouldn t even be having this conversation

19 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

I think all the reports around that are massively exaggerated, they were talking in the summer window about Madrid offering £170 plus million for a player with 1 year on his contract, which seems absurd Real would offer that much for a player they could get on a free and absurd PSG would reject that much. Now all this talk about wages, a lot I think is done to drive prices up and get him a higher wage.

More worryingly I see Newcastle linked with Jarod Bowen, now I don't think they will get him but it shows Newcastle will be a complete pain for pretty much every PL bar the like top 2-3, Europe challenging West Ham and Newcastle still going to be flashing their cash at them. 

a fair bit of `noise' (today agent created no doubt) about Chelsea's Levi Colwill, on loan at Huddersfield.  

We sign a 19 year old (20 now) Chelsea CB and he goes on loan to a terrible league 2 side, while here is a 19 year CB from Chelsea who's playing well at a Championship side. Did we sign the wrong player or are both gonna be good? 

2 hours ago, Chez said:

a fair bit of `noise' (today agent created no doubt) about Chelsea's Levi Colwill, on loan at Huddersfield.  

We sign a 19 year old (20 now) Chelsea CB and he goes on loan to a terrible league 2 side, while here is a 19 year CB from Chelsea who's playing well at a Championship side. Did we sign the wrong player or are both gonna be good? 

Another similarity is that Colwill's from Southampton too.

3 hours ago, Chez said:

Part of the pathway I guess. Simeu has been doing really well in league 2 and will likely himself be in the Championship next season on loan. With any luck he steps up again after that.

We need to bench Bednarek, and definitely for next season. Ideally I’d like to flog him for £15m to a foreign club or £20m to a PL club.

He didn’t want to play against City in the FA Cup in case he gets injured, now imagine what he will be like next season when the World Cup starts in November? He won’t turn up for our first 10 games. 

Salisu needs some experienced head next to him - I think he would have flourished an Evans/Coady/Dier/Dawson/Dunk next to him.

Let’s be real even I’d pull my hair out if Bednarek was my starting partner.

• Like 7

Yesterday really underlined the scale of the rebuild needed with the squad. Although not as many players actually out of contract as Palace had - Forster and Long will make a dent - plenty eg Redmond, Romeu, Moussa and Ely with only one year left. Salisu down to two. Will City or Liverpool come in for JWP?

Have to be aiming for what they did last summer. Freshen up with better value, more energy and players with decent pedigree and potential to go on to CL clubs. 

Likely outs - Bednarek (City game bottled off) for £15-20m, Ely £15m, Redmond £12-15m, hope not Romeu but possible. AA could be out on loan. Broja going back to Chelsea. Compromise agreement with Theo on last 12 months and do his coaching badges? Moussa loan fee-perm somewhere £5-9m. Forster definitely out on free and Shane ought to be.

Diallo hasn’t had much of a look in this year and doesn’t fit manager’s system, could get the £12m back. Tella ditto, might get £5m from the Champ?

Positions needed accordingly 

1x Gk

1x CB

2xCMs

2x10s

At least 1x CF

Heck, hope Crocker wasn’t planning a holiday…

1 hour ago, saint1977 said:

Yesterday really underlined the scale of the rebuild needed with the squad. Although not as many players actually out of contract as Palace had - Forster and Long will make a dent - plenty eg Redmond, Romeu, Moussa and Ely with only one year left. Salisu down to two. Will City or Liverpool come in for JWP?

Have to be aiming for what they did last summer. Freshen up with better value, more energy and players with decent pedigree and potential to go on to CL clubs. 

Likely outs - Bednarek (City game bottled off) for £15-20m, Ely £15m, Redmond £12-15m, hope not Romeu but possible. AA could be out on loan. Broja going back to Chelsea. Compromise agreement with Theo on last 12 months and do his coaching badges? Moussa loan fee-perm somewhere £5-9m. Forster definitely out on free and Shane ought to be.

Diallo hasn’t had much of a look in this year and doesn’t fit manager’s system, could get the £12m back. Tella ditto, might get £5m from the Champ?

Positions needed accordingly 

1x Gk

1x CB

2xCMs

2x10s

At least 1x CF

Heck, hope Crocker wasn’t planning a holiday…

Agree on the scale of rebuild required but not a chance are we bringing in 30 million on Ely and Redmond!

Feel like we definitely need a new number 1 GK pity we renewed Macca rather than Fraser. Ideally we need a decent attacking midfielder in the Tadic mold. Need someone who continually creates chances as our strikers need about 3:1 goals.