Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

7 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

Depends if a big club comes in with a huge offer for JWP

You have to think he's on the list of some big boys shopping lists. He's now almost a regular pick for England, scores goals and is a set piece expert, versatile and fit as a butcher's dog and reliable, and entering his peak. I still think what we would want for him and what other teams would be prepared to pay may stump clubs but someone like Newcastle may want a marquee signing whilst weakening a rival.

I want him to stay and the fact he signed a long term contract keeping him until he's nearly 32 shows he's happy here but I wonder if his head could be turned.

Yes it would fund a squad overhaul, I reckon we'd get 60/70 million for him if someone wanted him enough, but I can't see anyone going that high.

Our other jewels are KWP and probably Salisu based on his earlier season form, we need to be keeping them though and hope that the new owners can open the purse strings a bit.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

After the season he's had we should be demanding £100million for JWP, it's what Rice is worth.

Agreed. If the benchmark for a midfielder this season is Rice and Philips, JWP for me as got to be close to that. Scores far more than those two, even if they are both stronger players than he his. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Agreed. If the benchmark for a midfielder this season is Rice and Philips, JWP for me as got to be close to that. Scores far more than those two, even if they are both stronger players than he his. 

But also because they both played together in the Euros for England they are a shoe-in,and regardless of whether  or not they score they play as apair,so JWP would /will have to have another fantastic set piece season next year to even be considered above the likes of a coming back from injury (but now at a finnancially rich super club in the making Sandcastle Arabia) Trippier, to even make a dent into the fortunate few that will represent the country in the up coming World cup.

14 hours ago, SNSUN said:

You have to think he's on the list of some big boys shopping lists. He's now almost a regular pick for England, scores goals and is a set piece expert, versatile and fit as a butcher's dog and reliable, and entering his peak. I still think what we would want for him and what other teams would be prepared to pay may stump clubs but someone like Newcastle may want a marquee signing whilst weakening a rival.

I want him to stay and the fact he signed a long term contract keeping him until he's nearly 32 shows he's happy here but I wonder if his head could be turned.

Yes it would fund a squad overhaul, I reckon we'd get 60/70 million for him if someone wanted him enough, but I can't see anyone going that high.

Our other jewels are KWP and probably Salisu based on his earlier season form, we need to be keeping them though and hope that the new owners can open the purse strings a bit.

Don't see him going to Newcastle, he's 27, if he's going to leave us he is going to want to leave for basically a trophy hunting team now, not one in 3-4-5 years. Newcastle can splash all the cash they like but they saw in the Jan window a lot of targets will turn them down, so it'll take a while for them to be a challenging team and by the time they were he'd be in the latter end of his career. 

I think unless Pep or Klopp come calling then he'll be here next year and I think those clubs will have other priorities. 

14 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Basic rule number 1 :Sell when stock is high

• Like 1

My United supporting friend said yesterday to say that he'd quite happily pay £100 Million plus Lingard and Wan-Bissaka for JWP. He did specify that won't happen because Lingard is out of contract soon so wouldn't be involved in a transfer like that but that just shows how highly other clubs' fans rate him! Tbf I'd be tempted by that offer.

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

Don't see him going to Newcastle, he's 27, if he's going to leave us he is going to want to leave for basically a trophy hunting team now, not one in 3-4-5 years. Newcastle can splash all the cash they like but they saw in the Jan window a lot of targets will turn them down, so it'll take a while for them to be a challenging team and by the time they were he'd be in the latter end of his career. 

I think unless Pep or Klopp come calling then he'll be here next year and I think those clubs will have other priorities. 

1.  Signing anyone in January is a tough ask; particularly if you're in or around the relegation zone.

2. I'd very surprised and delighted if JWP is with us next season.  I believe there is a wider set of clubs than just Liverpool and City that could tempt him away and afford him.

On 21/03/2022 at 07:49, saintrich said:

Staying with championship but moving forward to attacking midfield - Keane Lewis-Potter has been linked and just been called up to England under 21's, could he a be a good option to take Djenepo's place in the squad? If we wanted to push the boat out then Brennan Johnson seems like someone who could pinch Moi's place in the starting eleven - Brentford had £18m turned down in January, but his contract expires summer 2023. 

Update on two of my suggestions - According to The Athletic this morning West Ham are set to open talks with Hull City for Keane Lewis-Potter who they say is rated at £18m.

Also, Brennan Johnson was named championship young player of the year last night. 

So doubt we have a chance with either unfortunately! 

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

My United supporting friend said yesterday to say that he'd quite happily pay £100 Million plus Lingard and Wan-Bissaka for JWP. He did specify that won't happen because Lingard is out of contract soon so wouldn't be involved in a transfer like that but that just shows how highly other clubs' fans rate him! Tbf I'd be tempted by that offer.

I wouldn't take Wan-Bissaka if United offered us cash to take him off their hands, he is a truly dreadful player

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

I wouldn't take Wan-Bissaka if United offered us cash to take him off their hands, he is a truly dreadful player

I disagree. He's not CL quality for sure but he's certainly not dreadful either. If Tino is going to be out for a long time then I'd take AWB for a sensible fee.

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

I disagree. He's not CL quality for sure but he's certainly not dreadful either. If Tino is going to be out for a long time then I'd take AWB for a sensible fee.

In that scenario (Tino being out for a long time), a loan might be a good solution. The problem with loaning Manure players is their wages are huge and perhaps prohibitive for a player that would merely `compete' for a place with KWP.

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

But we now have KWP back in his natural position, we don't need a replacement starter at RB.

2 hours ago, saintrich said:

Update on two of my suggestions - According to The Athletic this morning West Ham are set to open talks with Hull City for Keane Lewis-Potter who they say is rated at £18m.

Also, Brennan Johnson was named championship young player of the year last night. 

So doubt we have a chance with either unfortunately! 

Forrest turned down £10m bid from Brentford for Johnson. Their owner seems very happy to spend money rather, so they have been able to fend off sizeable offers. £20m from the right side and he may go, assuming they dont get promoted of course.

Lewis Potter (21) has scored 10 goals this season and is rated at £18m. Broja (20) has 9 goals. Puts into perspective the kind of monies being spent and might need to be spent to bring someone in during the summer. Shane Long for another season it is then...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

But we now have KWP back in his natural position, we don't need a replacement starter at RB.

We need a backup though. If KWP were injured or suspended I’m not sure who our replacement RB is. I’d guess either Valery or Jack Stephens, or move JWP there, so not ideal. At LB it’s similar, Thierry Small is the only other genuine left back in the squad, and he hasn’t played a single minute of senior league football with us, but I doubt Small gets the nod so we could end up with something like Valery or even Salisu there.

Edited by The Kraken

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We still need cover/competition and signing average shouldn't be an option. Another youngster perhaps? KWP is also cover for left back, so unless Small makes strides, fullback will need attention. Fingers crossed Tino's injury ain't too bad, but it looked like it might be a long term one.

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

We need a backup though. Thierry Small is the backup left back and he hasn’t played a single minute of senior league football with us. If KWP were injured or suspended I’m not sure who our replacement RB is. I’d guess either Jack Stephens, or move JWP there, so neither is ideal.

We've got Valery, plus Ramsay coming back too. If we are going to bring in someone in as cover id assume it would be a young player on loan or a unproven potential(thierry small) type of deal.

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

We still need cover/competition and signing average shouldn't be an option. Another youngster perhaps? KWP is also cover for left back, so unless Small makes strides, fullback will need attention. Fingers crossed Tino's injury ain't too bad, but it looked like it might be a long term one.

How is Vokins performing on his loan at Ross County? He looked a good prospect in his few appearances for us, he could come back and be backup on the left for us.

3 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

We need a backup though. Thierry Small is the only other genuine left back in the squad, and he hasn’t played a single minute of senior league football with us. If KWP were injured or suspended I’m not sure who our replacement RB is. I’d guess either Jack Stephens, or move JWP there, so neither is ideal. t LB it’s similar, I doubt Small gets the nod so we could end up with something like Valery or even Salisu there.

In the cup game, Small looked slow, Kayne Ramsey-esque to me. He has time on his side of course, but currently a long way short of Premiership quality. Unless he improves, we have a slight problem. Valery has another year, but he has not impressed. Its a body with some experience at least.

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

We've got Valery, plus Ramsay coming back too. If we are going to bring in someone in as cover id assume it would be a young player on loan or a unproven potential(thierry small) type of deal.

Yeah I edited my post, I missed Valery out. Though I consider him a liability so I think I’d be worried if we’re to be a starting choice for us.

I don’t see much money being spent in this area, it would be daft unless Tino’s injury is extremely lengthy. But a bit of a worry.

Just now, Saint_clark said:

How is Vokins performing on his loan at Ross County? He looked a good prospect in his few appearances for us, he could come back and be backup on the left for us.

He was injured at the start of the season and didn't play until January. Looking at transfermarkt, he seemed to be first choice, but then was dropped. Back in the first eleven now for last two games.

I thought he looked out of his depth when he played for us, and the Small signing might suggest he has no future here.

3 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Yeah I edited my post, I missed Valery out. Though I consider him a liability so I think I’d be worried if we’re to be a starting choice for us.

I don’t see much money being spent in this area, it would be daft unless Tino’s injury is extremely lengthy. But a bit of a worry.

we got badly burned when we left ourselves short of fullbacks before. We have got away with three this season nicely, but to go into the season with two, plus Small/Valery seems a risk. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chez said:

we got badly burned when we left ourselves short of fullbacks before. We have got away with three this season nicely, but to go into the season with two, plus Small/Valery seems a risk. 

Never rated Valery at all until he was converted to CB. I'm much more comfortable having him as CB cover than RB cover.

I really hope we're in for Brennan Johnson if he's after a move this Summer. I've just read that Everton have been talking to him but it depends on if they stay up obviously. Feels like another Olise/Bowen opportunity. 

15g 10a in the Championship from the wing at 20. YPOTY.

Contract expires in 12 months.

Edited by Saint Matty 76

4 hours ago, notnowcato said:

1.  Signing anyone in January is a tough ask; particularly if you're in or around the relegation zone.

2. I'd very surprised and delighted if JWP is with us next season.  I believe there is a wider set of clubs than just Liverpool and City that could tempt him away and afford him.

Their level of target might shift now they are out of a relegation battle but its still very hard to suddenly get champions league level players as a mid table premier league club, they are not going to start just picking off the best players from the likes of Dortmund, Milan, Valencia, Atletico, etc. just because they waft some cash as these players to push them to the next level will be wanted by clubs already at that level. 

Plenty of clubs can afford him, but he'll like be £70-80 million, especially as West Ham are talking about keeping Rice for one more season and then selling him for £100 million plus with 2 years left on his deal, so clubs can pay that money but they have to want him, need him (as in don't need to spend that sort of money elsewhere) and he has to want to go. Like I said JWP strikes me as someone quite happy where he is, seems to love the club, is captain, enjoys playing for the manager and gets better year on year. I think he has said he wants to finish his career here so I think it would have to be a special opportunity for him to move, so somewhere with a top manager likely to win trophies in the next 2-3 years. 

Really doesn't leave many clubs IMO, like City, Liverpool, maybe PSG, maybe Bayern, maybe Chelsea, he's not 'galactico' enough for Real and Barcas finances are a mess. Then you have to wonder what priorities those clubs have. City look to be landing Haaland (whose wage is likely to be massive), Liverpool have issues with contracts and keeping their best players, Chelsea look like they are going to lose 3 of their best defenders for nothing and we don't know how much financial backing they will have. 

I just can't see an Arsenal or Spurs level sort of club paying what we want for him and him being that bothered about leaving. Maybe Utd could be a worry, Ten Haag could maybe sell him the project but I get a feeling he'll have his own targets in mind. 

I think he'll be here next season, I can't see the clubs that will tempt away will have him as a priority signing or wanting to stump up the cash. Like I said Rice is a pretty good comparison, he's been touted to leave pretty much every season, but no one has come in the money West Ham have been asking, they recognise now they might have to sell end of next season because he won't sign a new deal and will only have 2 years left on his deal. Something we don't have to worry about with JWP, he has 4 years left on his contract.  I reckon a similar thing could happen, we'll have him till 2024, and then probably entertain offers and relax our asking price a little then if we can't get him to sign a new contract. 

2 hours ago, Chez said:

Forrest turned down £10m bid from Brentford for Johnson. Their owner seems very happy to spend money rather, so they have been able to fend off sizeable offers. £20m from the right side and he may go, assuming they dont get promoted of course.

Johnson's contract runs out next summer, it was one of the decisions Forest were reportedly making in January in that whether to sell him and get a good price, but risk their play-off push, or keep him for the play-off push, but lose him for a smaller fee in the future.

2 hours ago, Chez said:

Yeah I totally agree, but I think someone like Wan-Bisakka would come in as a starter and we don't need that. 

I remember we had links to Spence (the guy on loan at Forest) back in January, that could be a good shout to offer some depth?

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah I totally agree, but I think someone like Wan-Bisakka would come in as a starter and we don't need that. 

I remember we had links to Spence (the guy on loan at Forest) back in January, that could be a good shout to offer some depth?

What about a loan

Having 4 FBs is a luxury when we need to spend mega on some striker or another

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

Their level of target might shift now they are out of a relegation battle but its still very hard to suddenly get champions league level players as a mid table premier league club, they are not going to start just picking off the best players from the likes of Dortmund, Milan, Valencia, Atletico, etc. just because they waft some cash as these players to push them to the next level will be wanted by clubs already at that level. 

All depends what kind of silly money they offer in wages.

There are a surprising number of players out there (and I know this from my Sis-in-law's discussions with my nephew's agent) who really don't give a shiny shit where they play or whether or not they will win trophies and/or play in the CL, and are just out for as much money as they can possibly get.

If Toon start offering wages that nobody else can match, they will undoubtedly attract some very good players.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chez said:

Lewis Potter (21) has scored 10 goals this season and is rated at £18m. Broja (20) has 9 goals. Puts into perspective the kind of monies being spent and might need to be spent to bring someone in during the summer. Shane Long for another season it is then...

Would like to keep Broja, but if we can't i wouldn't mind going for Viktor Gyökeres(23) has scores 15 in the championship. Looked Good when we played Coventry in the cup aswell. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, kjurwi said:

Would like to keep Broja, but if we can't i wouldn't mind going for Viktor Gyökeres(23) has scores 15 in the championship. Looked Good when we played Coventry in the cup aswell. 

15 goals for a Championship striker isn't particularly impressive.  Adam Armstrong scored 29 Championship goals last season and so far looks out of his depth for Saints. 

14 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

15 goals for a Championship striker isn't particularly impressive.  Adam Armstrong scored 29 Championship goals last season and so far looks out of his depth for Saints. 

I know and you are correct. Just think he'll be good for us. Pretty big and fast. Am biased just because he's Swedish. 

Edited by kjurwi
Spelled wrong

Is our striker problem driven by the ability of our other players to give them decent chances.

We could have Mpabbe in this team and I bet he would struggle to get over 10 goals.

I havent watched enough Red Bull team games but how do they create chances for their strikers, I think the lack of chances from our CMs or Moi/Armstrong player roles as the weakness, not really the strikers as they are constantly feeding on scraps.

Edited by Convict Colony

8 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

He was very good for Palace. Unfortunately just another example of a player who couldnt make the massive step up to Man Utd, exacerbated by the fact they've been terrible and going through managers quite quickly. Same could be said for the likes of Schneiderlin, Van de Beek, Sancho etc. Quality players before they ran out at OT

46 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Is our striker problem driven by the ability of our other players to give them decent chances.

We could have Mpabbe in this team and I bet he would struggle to get over 10 goals.

I havent watched enough Red Bull team games but how do they create chances for their strikers, I think the lack of chances from our CMs or Moi/Armstrong player roles as the weakness, not really the strikers as they are constantly feeding on scraps.

absolutely. If you don't create plenty of chances you need a striker that is absolutely on fire, as Ings was, to take every single half chance, or someone that can create something out of nothing for himself (and that's extremely tough even of you are Mbappe). We don't create many chances, don't have an on fire striker and despite his best efforts even Broja couldn't tuck away the chances he created for himself. We need better quality attacking midfielders, but they are hard ti find and don't come cheap.

52 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

He was very good for Palace. Unfortunately just another example of a player who couldnt make the massive step up to Man Utd, exacerbated by the fact they've been terrible and going through managers quite quickly. Same could be said for the likes of Schneiderlin, Van de Beek, Sancho etc. Quality players before they ran out at OT

He was great at Palace defensively, but never offered a great deal going forward.  United then maybe expected him to be some sort of attacking full back. Not sure why they signed him of thats what they wanted. With fullbacks being our best/most important attacking players these days, I'm not sure he is what we are looking for (despite his qualities). If we did sign him, we'd need a much better attacking player in front of him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Wouldn’t be at all surprised if wan bissaka followed the zaha path back to palace. 

Good call. Not sure United will allow him to leave this summer though and Palace probably don't have the funds for a £25m??? fullback on £150k??? a week.

10 hours ago, Chez said:

He was great at Palace defensively, but never offered a great deal going forward.  United then maybe expected him to be some sort of attacking full back. Not sure why they signed him of thats what they wanted. With fullbacks being our best/most important attacking players these days, I'm not sure he is what we are looking for (despite his qualities). If we did sign him, we'd need a much better attacking player in front of him.

Yeh he's the sort of fullback you need for a specific role, like maybe he backs up a very quality attacker who is a defensive liability, like a Messi type player for example, someone who would never track back. In most modern formations the fullbacks provide most of the width and are important attacking wise, but he just isn't that.  Though I think had he gone to a more stable club with a decent manager they probably would have developed his game on that side more, players going to Utd seem to go backwards in their development and play. 

If Tino's injury was really bad I'd presume we'd get someone on loan rather than a permanent transfer. Providing he is not out for ages fullback is probably where we are strongest. 

13 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Goals don t really matter. Its the attributes that matter

11 hours ago, Chez said:

absolutely. If you don't create plenty of chances you need a striker that is absolutely on fire, as Ings was, to take every single half chance, or someone that can create something out of nothing for himself (and that's extremely tough even of you are Mbappe). We don't create many chances, don't have an on fire striker and despite his best efforts even Broja couldn't tuck away the chances he created for himself. We need better quality attacking midfielders, but they are hard ti find and don't come cheap.

Its annoying but we know as a team we have struggled with creating good chances for strikers for probably since Koeman.

An old friend mentioned from last year Joey Veerman - went to PSV in Jan and has already had 4 goals and 4 assists in 9 games or maybe someone like Noni Madueke from PSV as well, done well the last few years and only 20 and english.

Given I watch a fair bit of eredevisie I'd also shout out Luis Sinisterra from Feyenoord, 15 goals and 5 assists this season - watch the game v Marseille on Thurs for a look.

Edited by Convict Colony

Just now, Convict Colony said:

Its annoying but we know as a team we have struggled with creating good chances for strikers for probably since Koeman.

An old friend mentioned from last year Joey Veerman - went to PSV in Jan and has already had 4 goals and 4 assists in 9 games or maybe someone like Noni Madueke from PSV as well, done well the last few years and only 20 and english.

Leicester looking at Madueke, apparently.  Think I read for £30m+

5 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Leicester looking at Madueke, apparently.  Think I read for £30m+

Check out Sinisterra on thurs - Feyenoord v Marseille - all my Feynoord mates rave about him

Also if we are looking at an assist machine - cody gakpo from PSV has behind Tadic this year - has 13 assists

Edited by Convict Colony