Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

41 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Luis Sinisterra from Feyenoord

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/03/29/report-arsenal-have-bid-for-10-goal-winger-12-5m-fee-needed-luis-sinisterra-feyenoord/

Cheap and linked with bigger teams from this ever reliable source 😉😅

1 hour ago, nta786 said:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/statistik/endendevertraege

I'd like us to just try and attack some names on this list. 

Some huge names this year.

Or if not, the 2023 expirees at least. Let's unsettle some clubs who are smaller than us to get heads turning (AKA do a Klopp style deal in Blackpool ;))

Would people be against Tarkowski on a free?

A question about our business model/transfers:

Do you think there is ever going to be situation (under the current owners/management) where we sign a player, perhaps on a free, that demands a wage similar to our top earners, say £100k a week or more? 

I'm wondering if Ings was signed along those lines, but I don't know what his wage was when he joined, but it was possibly on a par with our top earners like Long and Forster et al. Or does the current business/transfer model of buying low, develop and sell high also mean signing players on a lower (than our top earners) wages too - perhaps with room for wage increases as players progress?

Does our business allow for a Tarkowski free transfer on £100k a week type signing? I can Johnstone signing for us on free, but not sure we'd be offering £100k a week though.  

15 minutes ago, Chez said:

Does our business allow for a Tarkowski free transfer on £100k a week type signing?

These sort of signings reminds me of Big Sam getting JJ Okocha to Bolton, free signing but big wages. Worked for them for a while but the trouble was no resale value.

Edited by skintsaint

1 minute ago, skintsaint said:

These sort of signings reminds me of Big Sam getting JJ Okocha to Bolton, free signing but big wages. Worked for them for a while but the trouble was no resale value.

...eventually leading to £170m+ of debt and a winding up order.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Would people be against Tarkowski on a free?

He’s exactly what we need. Some will say he’s too slow to play the high line but when we’ve got 4 centre backs that can’t defend them there are bigger issues than that 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Apologies, of course.

No issue with Fraser leaving, but in the market for a number 2? My god.

Thanks. 

seems crazy, it’s all very well having a young number two but when you’re number one is crap it’s a bit pointless 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Apologies, of course.

We can only hope it's a number 2 that comes good and displaces the number 1 - Like Sanchez at Brighton replacing Ryan or similar. 

Harry Lewis is out of contract too so a third, experienced GK would be good - like Caballero. Someone who, like Boruc, could potentially save our season when McCarthy inevitably has his shit spell.

23 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

We can only hope it's a number 2 that comes good and displaces the number 1 - Like Sanchez at Brighton replacing Ryan or similar. 

Harry Lewis is out of contract too so a third, experienced GK would be good - like Caballero. Someone who, like Boruc, could potentially save our season when McCarthy inevitably has his shit spell.

I mentioned on another thread - Michael Cooper of Plymouth Argyle. Only 22 years old and narrowly missed out on getting into the team of the year. Regular clean sheets and shows experience he doesn't have. I'm biased because I live in Plymouth so I watch him fairly regularly but he really could be a decent back up/understudy to whoever is going to be our number one next season.

28 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Those shit spells of his usually last from around August to May. 

• Haha 7

56 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

This.

There is no way we can be happy with our goalkeepers performance over the last 4 yrs.

The no.2 is just a nice way to phrase it but whoever we buy better be between the sticks on day 1.

6 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

of the bottom 4 the following players would be welcome at Saints (by me).

Tarkowski, McNeill, Cornet, Mee, Dennis, Sarr, Joao Pedro, Pickford, Gordon, Calvert-Lewin, Gray, Doucoure

Though I would like all of them - cant see us getting any of them 😞 

These kind of relegated team signing lists get posted every year and every year we sign or go after none of them.

Its like some of you totally disregard everything Ralph, Semmens and Crocker say about our transfer policy and the type of players we target.

Surely by now you have worked it out?!

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Apologies, of course.

Not sure why this has come as a surprise. We gave McCarthy a massive new contract when he was first choice, to be first choice keeper.

The `to be signed' keeper was always going to be a younger and cheaper option, inevitably seen as a number 2, that we obviously hope will push him for the shirt and then go on to be the world's best keeper.

McCarthy may have `fallen out of favour since', but our budget hasn't increased, so the idea we are going to sign a Henderson (or such like) on £130k a week is a pipe dream.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

He cost Everton £50m and is a regular in the Brazil squad. I don't see us getting him.

no a chance he'd want to come here either. He sees himself (and there has been much paper talk too) as good enough for Barca etc. Good job too, the little winey cheating prick. I'd hate to have to cheer him on.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Dusic said:

These kind of relegated team signing lists get posted every year and every year we sign or go after none of them.

except Redmond and Austin, but obviously they were prior to the current management team.

3 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Such a pessimist bro, do you see us getting calvert-lewin and sarr. 

no chance. Well beyond our budget. That said, what has happed to Calvert Lewin. Is he still injured?

12 hours ago, Chez said:

Not sure why this has come as a surprise. We gave McCarthy a massive new contract when he was first choice, to be first choice keeper.

The `to be signed' keeper was always going to be a younger and cheaper option, inevitably seen as a number 2, that we obviously hope will push him for the shirt and then go on to be the world's best keeper.

McCarthy may have `fallen out of favour since', but our budget hasn't increased, so the idea we are going to sign a Henderson (or such like) on £130k a week is a pipe dream.

'Fallen out of favour' suggests it has nothing to do with his ability. Giving him that contract was mystifying, especially given his match-losing performances for years. Really think there's something long if we feel he is the bedrock behind which we build a strong spine. Already worried for relegation next season if so.

14 hours ago, Dusic said:

Its like some of you totally disregard everything Ralph, Semmens and Crocker say about our transfer policy and the type of players we target.

Surely by now you have worked it out?!

While I agree somewhat

Already Covered by @Chez but we signed Redmond and Austin and for all we know we may have been in for more from other relegated side (pretty sure we were in for Maguire and Vydra from Hull when they went down, and Norwich full backs Godffrey and Aarons + Buendia, did we also not look at Ake and Brooks when Bournemouth went down?).

TBH - I normally start the thread or update it as its a good discussion point

3 hours ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

If McCarthy is our No.1 next season that would be some shocking mismanagement by the club.

Im not sure the mismanagement ever stopped really.... I mean... I do like semmens I do think he is a good CEO but I remember some soundbites from him a while ago bemoaning the long contracts and poor contractual choices given to players that restricted our manoeuvrability in the transfer market

- Since then we've agree'd a deal with what looks like the wrong first choice GK

- Signed  Walcott to a high value contract

Im sure there was a poor decision Im missing as well

Overall these aren't horrific issues but they do somewhat lead to a bit of hypocrisy on Semmens part

Ultimately we are at a bit of a crossroads next year, we need some quite significant investment into this squad over the summer

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

I hope whoever we sign eclipses mccarthy's performances. However, McCarthy's been first choice for multiple year's and the sky hasn't fallen in so response seems hyperbolic. He's a serviceable prem keeper. 

He wouldn’t start for any other premier league team.