Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

Are we still in for Tino Anjorin? All seems to have gone quiet, was reported we were going to sign him in the summer and also we’re confident on Tete. Maybe if we’re getting both it explains why we’re happy to let Djenepo, Redmond and Walcott go

29 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Are we still in for Tino Anjorin? All seems to have gone quiet, was reported we were going to sign him in the summer and also we’re confident on Tete. Maybe if we’re getting both it explains why we’re happy to let Djenepo, Redmond and Walcott go

As I understand it, yes we are (pre-sanctions anyway)

Edited by Katalinic
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Chez said:

a fair bit of `noise' (today agent created no doubt) about Chelsea's Levi Colwill, on loan at Huddersfield.  

We sign a 19 year old (20 now) Chelsea CB and he goes on loan to a terrible league 2 side, while here is a 19 year CB from Chelsea who's playing well at a Championship side. Did we sign the wrong player or are both gonna be good? 

I’ll be seeing Simeu live in a couple of weeks time so will give a full report. Mind you the opposition he’ll be up against are in terrible form and the striker starting for them looks like a pub player so perhaps won’t be the best game to judge him.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I’ll be seeing Simeu live in a couple of weeks time so will give a full report. Mind you the opposition he’ll be up against are in terrible form and the striker starting for them looks like a pub player so perhaps won’t be the best game to judge him.

Worth noting Broja, Anjorin, Colwill, Simeu all with the same agency. 

Good relationship with Saints/Huddersfield and vice versa. Wouldn't mind taking Colwill and loaning Simeu to Huddersfield. Obvious next steps for their development.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

What's the situation with Dwight McNeil? Thought he looked excellent and got linked with big clubs, then a very poor season. 

A bright, left footed creative player would really help our side if we had any chance of getting him when they're down. 

Has Cornet taken his place or is he played more as a striker? Can't say I've watched them enough to know how they set up week in week out.

Would imagine there will be loads of interest in Cornet if they go down. 

23 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Has Cornet taken his place or is he played more as a striker? Can't say I've watched them enough to know how they set up week in week out.

Would imagine there will be loads of interest in Cornet if they go down. 

He missed an open goal opportunity yesterday.

2 hours ago, adriansfc said:

What's the situation with Dwight McNeil? Thought he looked excellent and got linked with big clubs, then a very poor season. 

A bright, left footed creative player would really help our side if we had any chance of getting him when they're down. 

I like him and think he'd be a good acquisition for us. Transfermarkt reckon c.£20m. Has a deal until 2024 with an option for another year, so even if they go down it'll be top dollar, as other sides would certainly be interested.

2 hours ago, adriansfc said:

He played well for them yesterday when he came on. Burnley looked poor then he made an immediate impact. Cornet missed an absolute sitter at 1-0, reckon Burnley would have gone on and won if he'd put that away. Looks like they're down now though, I'd definitely take McNeil and Tarkowski or Mee, the sort of centre back we need.

22 hours ago, saint1977 said:

Yesterday really underlined the scale of the rebuild needed with the squad. Although not as many players actually out of contract as Palace had - Forster and Long will make a dent - plenty eg Redmond, Romeu, Moussa and Ely with only one year left. Salisu down to two. Will City or Liverpool come in for JWP?

Have to be aiming for what they did last summer. Freshen up with better value, more energy and players with decent pedigree and potential to go on to CL clubs. 

Likely outs - Bednarek (City game bottled off) for £15-20m, Ely £15m, Redmond £12-15m, hope not Romeu but possible. AA could be out on loan. Broja going back to Chelsea. Compromise agreement with Theo on last 12 months and do his coaching badges? Moussa loan fee-perm somewhere £5-9m. Forster definitely out on free and Shane ought to be.

Diallo hasn’t had much of a look in this year and doesn’t fit manager’s system, could get the £12m back. Tella ditto, might get £5m from the Champ?

Positions needed accordingly 

1x Gk

1x CB

2xCMs

2x10s

At least 1x CF

Heck, hope Crocker wasn’t planning a holiday…

Totally agree but fuck me we need wholesale changes then.But most of who you mentioned arnt anything but squad players in other teams ,yet we find most in our starting 11.

22 hours ago, Turkish said:

Anjorin seems a bit of a sicknote, not even on the bench tonight for Huddersfield.

6 hours ago, Turkish said:

He played well for them yesterday when he came on. Burnley looked poor then he made an immediate impact. Cornet missed an absolute sitter at 1-0, reckon Burnley would have gone on and won if he'd put that away. Looks like they're down now though, I'd definitely take McNeil and Tarkowski or Mee, the sort of centre back we need.

genuine question. What are those two CBs like on the ball? If we are going to ask them to play out from the back, which they don't do as much at Burnley, can they do that?

Every time I see McNeil with the ball he looks classy. I wonder what formation would get the best of him.

10 minutes ago, Chez said:

genuine question. What are those two CBs like on the ball? If we are going to ask them to play out from the back, which they don't do as much at Burnley, can they do that?

Every time I see McNeil with the ball he looks classy. I wonder what formation would get the best of him.

I wouldn’t say they are bad on the ball but both traditional stopper, solid centre halves rather than ball playing ones. But both are experienced leaders who can defend properly which is exactly what we need at the back. Bednarek isn’t great on the ball, Stephens is better but both pretty poor defenders. Both Tarkowski and Mee out of contract this summer too and would be an upgrade on what we’ve got alongside Salisu. Not much use being able to pass it around nicely if you can’t do the basics as a defender which is the problem we have.

I reckon the way we play would suit McNeil as well. 22 so fits the YHGTI criteria as well. Id expect he’ll go to a bigger club than us. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I wouldn’t say they are bad on the ball but both traditional stopper, solid centre halves rather than ball playing ones. But both are experienced leaders who can defend properly which is exactly what we need at the back. Bednarek isn’t great on the ball, Stephens is better but both pretty poor defenders. Both Tarkowski and Mee out of contract this summer too and would be an upgrade on what we’ve got alongside Salisu. Not much use being able to pass it around nicely if you can’t do the basics as a defender which is the problem we have.

I reckon the way we play would suit McNeil as well. 22 so fits the YHGTI criteria as well. Id expect he’ll go to a bigger club than us. 

McNeil gets my vote. Not seen a lot of him though. Just looks a good footballer whenever I have seen him play. That long contract makes him too expensive for us.

37 minutes ago, Chez said:

McNeil gets my vote. Not seen a lot of him though. Just looks a good footballer whenever I have seen him play. That long contract makes him too expensive for us.

Man United, Arsenal and Villa all linked who would pay far more than we can sadly 

On 10/04/2022 at 09:39, Chez said:

a fair bit of `noise' (today agent created no doubt) about Chelsea's Levi Colwill, on loan at Huddersfield.  

We sign a 19 year old (20 now) Chelsea CB and he goes on loan to a terrible league 2 side, while here is a 19 year CB from Chelsea who's playing well at a Championship side. Did we sign the wrong player or are both gonna be good? 

Have you ever wondered why  clubs like Chelsea fight so hard to keep some and let others go almost in a whimper ? 
Both Lamptey and Livermento were behind James in the pecking order and without doubt would have been playing back up to James who seems to be the complete modern player

We hear time after time that clubs didn’t want to let players go but they do.

I personally think that there is a limit to how many promising 19-20 year olds you can have, but also the sort of financial arrangements made when Saints bought Livermento its pretty obvious that Chelsea have dangled a little bit of financial benefit which then enables them to retain if you like a get out of jail card because they arent 100% in terms of the decision but need at that point in time  to produce space to see if they maybe have another cab of the rank who needs room to grow. 

I made a point of watching Colwill last night, very assured, at  6 foot 2  a good size ,good speed and it’s obvious that he has been very well coached not sure he is quite ready to be a starter at a PL club with ambitions above just mid table but he almost certainly will be at a PL club next season.

Edited by terraloon

8 hours ago, HKsaint said:

Swansea City has a young player who scored 8 goals in the last 12 games. But I don’t think he will come cheap.

Meh, we signed someone who had 28 in that same division last season.

I'm not saying we should never buy from the Championship again, but like all signings it comes with risks.

Before the season the debate was who would fare better out of Toney and Armstrong, right now the answer is obvious. 

24 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Meh, we signed someone who had 28 in that same division last season.

I'm not saying we should never buy from the Championship again, but like all signings it comes with risks.

Before the season the debate was who would fare better out of Toney and Armstrong, right now the answer is obvious. 

And even then, Toney has been beefed up by 5 penalties. 7 goals without penalties, same return as Che Adams after bagging 31 in the Championship last season. The same will happen to Mitrovic again next season, also.

23 minutes ago, benali-shorts said:

Intriguing to consider if he was available for 15-20m. 

Doubt he would considering they paid £30 million for him with on year left. Plus he's probably on more wages than we can offer.

It is a 'grass is not always greener' moment though, aside he's likely getting paid a little more. They are basically no better off in the league than us, he's struggled to get games and find form, and now it looks like they are off loading him. He had a good thing here, a coach who played to his strengths, could have been our highest paid player, was in good form, fans loved him. I wonder how valuable the extra £20k a week or extra is to him. 

56 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Rumours that Villa are looking to offload Ings, story in the Mirror that he might be offered to Brighton in a swap deal. 

He is exactly what Brighton need, well the Danny Ings that was at Saints was. If they can get him back into that form they've got a very good side there.

5 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

And even then, Toney has been beefed up by 5 penalties. 7 goals without penalties, same return as Che Adams after bagging 31 in the Championship last season. The same will happen to Mitrovic again next season, also.

Yeh 7 non-pen goals from 27 games, and of those 7, 4 were against Villa, Newcastle (when they were really bad), Norwich and Burnley, so basically most of his open play goals have come against some of the worst defences in the league. 

Quite a lot of strikers that are in that too good for the Championship but not good enough for the PL sort of level, but to be fair suppose as well they go from teams dominating the league and creating chances to usually teams bottom half and often struggling against relegation. 

I don't know if Ings would work for Brighton. Imo the three reasons why he failed at Villa are:

• He has played all his best football for us and Burnley in a front 2, I don't know if Brighton will want to change their formation to include a support striker to provide for him
  • He is still quite injury prone, he gets dropped sporadically from the villa squad all together (5 games not in the squad, always followed by a cameo appearance off the bench to get his fitness back) and it completely breaks up his rhythm.
  • He is not a player who wants to receive the ball in the air. All pressure should come from passing through the middle and cutbacks into the box. Fullbacks who want to hit the byline and cross it are less useful to him. Brighton and Villa are 4th and 6th for crosses per 90 in the league. Only City, Liverpool, and West Ham make more crosses than Brighton.

IMO Brighton would do better with a strong targetman centerforward who can stay fit. I guess they could get a big guy with Ings and adopt a Crouch and Defoe style dynamic but that is pretty different to how they normally set up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TWar said:

I don't know if Ings would work for Brighton. Imo the three reasons why he failed at Villa are:

• He has played all his best football for us and Burnley in a front 2, I don't know if Brighton will want to change their formation to include a support striker to provide for him
  • He is still quite injury prone, he gets dropped sporadically from the villa squad all together (5 games not in the squad, always followed by a cameo appearance off the bench to get his fitness back) and it completely breaks up his rhythm.
  • He is not a player who wants to receive the ball in the air. All pressure should come from passing through the middle and cutbacks into the box. Fullbacks who want to hit the byline and cross it are less useful to him. Brighton and Villa are 4th and 6th for crosses per 90 in the league. Only City, Liverpool, and West Ham make more crosses than Brighton.

IMO Brighton would do better with a strong targetman centerforward who can stay fit. I guess they could get a big guy with Ings and adopt a Crouch and Defoe style dynamic but that is pretty different to how they normally set up.

Agree with the injury risk, but then again any CF signing sub £20m comes with its own risks. I think Potter would be capable of evolving Brighton to accommodate the abilities in his side rather than rigidly sticking to this season’s format, especially in light of their form in the last 2/3 of the season. I think Ings would work well there, they create plenty of chances and if Ings had been on the end of them rather than Maupay this season, they’d have a decent points tally. 

32 minutes ago, benali-shorts said:

Agree with the injury risk, but then again any CF signing sub £20m comes with its own risks. I think Potter would be capable of evolving Brighton to accommodate the abilities in his side rather than rigidly sticking to this season’s format, especially in light of their form in the last 2/3 of the season. I think Ings would work well there, they create plenty of chances and if Ings had been on the end of them rather than Maupay this season, they’d have a decent points tally. 

I think there is a world where Brighton could evolve around Ings. Shove Maupay up top with him, play less crosses through Cucerella and Lampety and use Lallana and Bissouma more to play through the middle etc.

I just don't see why they would. In my opinion Brightons three best players are Bissouma, Lampety and Cucerella and Bissouma is probably off in the summer. These fullbacks want to beat their man and whip in a cross. In my opinion Brighton would be so much better off picking up a 6ft+ targetman who can head those chances in and win battles for crosses.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Not really, if you're comparing like for like.... Che scored 4 goals in his first season for us.

4 hours ago, tajjuk said:

Rumours that Villa are looking to offload Ings, story in the Mirror that he might be offered to Brighton in a swap deal. 

We'll take him on loan for the next two years (zero loan fee) so long as they pay his inflated wage every time he's injured.

5 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Outstanding prospect.  Read the other day Chelsea were looking to include him in their first team group next season.  Should be all over it if they don’t.

Hope this is true. Although i still believe we need an experienced leader at the back as we've currently got 3 very young inexperienced players as our current first choice back 4, whilst the other options at centre back aren't good enough.

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Hope this is true. Although i still believe we need an experienced leader at the back as we've currently got 3 very young inexperienced players as our current first choice back 4, whilst the other options at centre back aren't good enough.

Apparently Chelsea will review it in pre-season. Would imagine it would be a loan.  Think he’s a local lad.

Just now, SuperSAINT said:

Apparently Chelsea will review it in pre-season. Would imagine it would be a loan.  Think he’s a local lad.

From Southampton. Simeu is as well isn't he, and Anjorin from Poole way, add in Mason Mount from down there and they seem to be creaming off a lot of the top talent in this area.

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

From Southampton. Simeu is as well isn't he, and Anjorin from Poole way, add in Mason Mount from down there and they seem to be creaming off a lot of the top talent in this area.

And the keeper, Brad Collins, who’s now at Barnsley is a Southampton lad. 

Having been involved in high level grassroots youth football in the area, you see more Chelsea scouts than you do saints, or at least did 2 or 3 years back. A very wide net and I know saints lost out to them on 1 or 2 players (that I know of, definitely will have been more). 

Edited by Dman

2 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Yep. Nephew to a few of the lads (Masons) who play for for Sholing, for anyone that’s interested in non league football. 

1 hour ago, Dman said:

And the keeper, Brad Collins, who’s now at Barnsley is a Southampton lad. 

Having been involved in high level grassroots youth football in the area, you see more Chelsea scouts than you do saints, or at least did 2 or 3 years back. A very wide net and I know saints lost out to them on 1 or 2 players (that I know of, definitely will have been more). 

Chelsea are relentless around here, but then they have a slightly scattergun approach.

A few of my son's old Sholing team got taken to Cobham at U13/14 but Chelsea weirdly weren't interested in their best player who Saints picked up and is now their U16 captain.

They have so many resources and the capacity to take loads of kids on trial, whereas Saints seem a bit more selective in their approach.

Chelsea once offered a trial to a kid I know who was kicking a ball around at the side of a pitch age 7 or 8. The scout was at the game to watch his older brother.

7 hours ago, Turkish said:

they have been doing it for years. We were lucky Shaw didn't go there too - it was an option for him. Their scouting system is top notch, they get all the best talent and they attract them and keep them with massive contracts for nippers. They have blown us out the water.

25 minutes ago, Dman said:

wouldn’t it just be fantastic if we signed Pompey’s best player this season. 

by all account, supposed to be a top top keeper. More likely City will loan him again than sell. 

Maybe if we got rid of both Forster and McCarthy and he was back up. League 1 to the prem is a huge step up, I wouldn't want our first choice keeper to be someone who is only proven at league one level. Remember Gunn looked good a level above what this guy is performing at.

13 hours ago, The Cat said:

Chelsea are relentless around here, but then they have a slightly scattergun approach.

A few of my son's old Sholing team got taken to Cobham at U13/14 but Chelsea weirdly weren't interested in their best player who Saints picked up and is now their U16 captain.

They have so many resources and the capacity to take loads of kids on trial, whereas Saints seem a bit more selective in their approach.

Chelsea once offered a trial to a kid I know who was kicking a ball around at the side of a pitch age 7 or 8. The scout was at the game to watch his older brother.

My nephew had a couple of games for Chelsea years ago before he chose Saints.  Their squad was massive and was rotated so most kids only played a quarter each.  This was one of the reasons he chose Saints, other than being a big Saints fan of course.  A massive squad, full of kids from all over Europe.  If you think they have Hampshire all sewn up for scouting, its pretty much the same all over Europe!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Cat said:

Wunderkids: Building football’s most exciting young XI - week nine: Jamal Musiala, midfielder - BBC Sport

didn't know this lad was with us once. Chelsea nicked him too.

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, sambosa75 said:

My nephew had a couple of games for Chelsea years ago before he chose Saints.  Their squad was massive and was rotated so most kids only played a quarter each.  This was one of the reasons he chose Saints, other than being a big Saints fan of course.  A massive squad, full of kids from all over Europe.  If you think they have Hampshire all sewn up for scouting, its pretty much the same all over Europe!

Indeed.  They have some incredible talent in their academy but that’s the result of (as you’ve pointed out) basically being like a whale eating krill in how they hoover up talent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

Been such a long time since we had a keeper that makes you stare in disbelief as they tip another one around the post.

Neimi is the only keeper I’ve loved playing for Saints. The rest have been average IMHO.

Harsh on Boruc. He had another 3-4 years in him when we replaced him with Forster. 

• Like 1