For those over 40, a trip back memory lane

Southamptonsi

This post will only apply to those over 40 who can remember the days before social media and 24 hour sky coverage.

At lunch time you might have tuned into  football focus or saint and greavsie.

Afterwards you prepared for the afternoon match day, where all games would kick off at 3pm.

During the saturday afternoon game you have ceefax and teletext to keep track of the scores and the only other way to stay updated was when radio solent could only bring you goal notifications, presented by grant coleman.

There use to be regular songs on radio solent during the game.  I can vaguely remember hearing 'jump' from van halen and a  song by john miles

But were there any other tracks you can remember always being played during the saturday afternoon radio solent coverage?

• Like 5

I was in a bar in Helsinki one evening and the teletext was on the TV above the bar, with that evening's Premier League scores on scrolling display. Alongside the Southampton score, highlighted in green, was something in Finnish with 'Niemi' in it, and similar for Jaaskalainen. I asked the barman what it said and he told me it was that it was showing that those players were playing.

42 minutes ago, Southamptonsi said:

This post will only apply to those over 40 who can remember the days before social media and 24 hour sky coverage.

At lunch time you might have tuned into  football focus or saint and greavsie.

Afterwards you prepared for the afternoon match day, where all games would kick off at 3pm.

During the saturday afternoon game you have ceefax and teletext to keep track of the scores and the only other way to stay updated was when radio solent could only bring you goal notifications, presented by grant coleman.

There use to be regular songs on radio solent during the game.  I can vaguely remember hearing 'jump' from van halen and a  song by john miles

But were there any other tracks you can remember always being played during the saturday afternoon radio solent coverage?

The John Miles Music track was played towards full time as the whistles went. Became very popular in the Bundesliga later on. Beatles early tracks always featured during the games. Later 1980s a cheer noise was introduced to signify a goal - which was always a let down when it was at say Wrexham v Bournemouth. You’d have updates from Eastleigh and Bashley if they were at home or a southern away game eg Sudbury away in the FA Vase. There were some live commentary games if Saints were playing Liverpool or Man U. There were midweek sports specials as well. Other posters mentioning Bruce Hornsby - that was normally played at full time? 

These memories are more for Saints away games as was frequently at them eg the exciting Man Utd Dell win in the snow with an orange ball. Although did listen at home to the Everton home game mid 80s when Kevin Sheedy scored a last minute winner for Everton - 3-2 IIRC.

Edited by saint1977
  • Like 1

The teleprinter was great when we played away from home and the last score update had shown that we had taken the lead. You were waiting for the home team's score to appear whilst praying that they hadn't scored.  It may have only taken seconds to type a name but sometimes that seemed like hours.

• Like 2

Possibly before your 40 years as this brings back memories of listening in the late 1970’s but recall they used to play the theme from Freewheelers, a 60’s children’s programme produced by Southern TV.

Fond memories. Living near Reading had to extend the aerial in the right direction to pick up a signal.

Recall Tony Husband, Ian Henderson presenting, and Tony Michener (usually at Bournemouth). Can’t remember who covered the skates (wonder why ).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

The teleprinter was great when we played away from home and the last score update had shown that we had taken the lead. You were waiting for the home team's score to appear whilst praying that they hadn't scored.  It may have only taken seconds to type a name but sometimes that seemed like hours.

Think they had this as the height of technology on both Grandstand and World of Sport. Possibly at the bottom of the screen whilst watching a tense last 10 minutes of wrestling (Kent Walton commentating ! Remember Les Kellet was always worth watching) whilst waiting for the final scores. 

Edited by Badger

8 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

My Ceefax memory was the Newcastle game when we were 1-0 down on 90 mins then refreshed to 1-1 , forced the refresh 2-1 ………… 3-1 ….. full time 

felt envious of those in the ground 

That game may come up when the Newcastle home game is confirmed. We were in the Archers, very memorable. Kitson overhead kicks, Bruce kept us in it, Simon Charlton fk hit the bar, Saints laid siege to Newcastle defending at the Archers End then 3 late goals including Flash Watson’s first. Their keeper had a difficult last few minutes - Srnicek - sadly died out jogging at just 47 later and a legend up there. Can actually see much younger myself celebrating with Flash in the Archers.

Edited by saint1977
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, coalman said:

Don't forget that wrestling came after Saint and Greavsie. Watching Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks duke it out while you were waiting for the football to start...

On The Ball in the 1970’s , Saint & Greavsie was a later variation of it.

Bulk of the programme often taken up by horse racing. Yawn. 

Can’t clearly remember who presented  On The Ball, possibly Brian Moore and Jimmy Hill (before he switched to BBC). 

Just now, Badger said:

On The Ball in the 1970’s , Saint & Greavsie was a later variation of it.

Bulk of the programme often taken up by horse racing. Yawn. 

Can’t clearly remember who presented  On The Ball, possibly Brian Moore and Jimmy Hill (before he switched to BBC). 

Good memory. It all gets blurry back there

People being crowded round the front windows of Dixon’s and Curry’s in town as the final scores came in. 

listening to radio Solent and “there’s been a goal at Dell…..” after a while they brought in crowd cheering to proceed the goal announcement. 

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

That game may come up when the Newcastle home game is confirmed. We were in the Archers, very memorable. Kitson overhead kicks, Bruce kept us in it, Simon Charlton fk hit the bar, Saints laid siege to Newcastle defending at the Archers End then 3 late goals including Flash Watson’s first. Their keeper had a difficult last few minutes - Srnicek - sadly died out jogging at just 47 later and a legend up there. Can actually see much younger myself celebrating with Flash in the Archers.

Remember this really well. A young Roger Johnson commentated on Solent that night. 

13 minutes ago, Turkish said:

People being crowded round the front windows of Dixon’s and Curry’s in town as the final scores came in. 

listening to radio Solent and “there’s been a goal at Dell…..” after a while they brought in crowd cheering to proceed the goal announcement. 

Ah 4:45 in the precinct- thanks that’s something I had forgotten.

• Like 2

The Way It Is followed by LIghtning Seeds 'Life of Riley' on Fulltime scores. I used to write down the scores so my Mum could check the pools. She won over two grand on it back in '84, good sum back then. We'd just got back from holiday and I used to open the post. I shouted out that we'd won the pools and she didn't believe me, think it would've been the Aussie results as it was in the summer.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I was working in retail in the mid 90s and I distinctly remember asking my boss who was a Utd fan if I could take a late tea break on a certain Saturday afternoon in 1996 to pop up to Curry's and check the scores. It was still 5-2 when I arrived.

My boss flat out refused to believe me when I told him what the final score was. 

Edited by Sheaf Saint
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Ah 4:45 in the precinct- thanks that’s something I had forgotten.

And then there would be a gathering outside the newsagents at 6pm for the Sports Echo when blokes would review the results (that they could remember from Final Score) before the papers arrived.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

This was me in Southampton centre with my cousins for Saints 4 Liverpool 1, there was loads of us!

Also, +1 for Bruce Hornsby and the Range

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

Remember this really well. A young Roger Johnson commentated on Solent that night. 

@saint1977 that’s the commentary overlay to find ~ I have searched hard for it @SuperSAINT especially as South Today showed it the next night and the Solent Commentator sounded like he needed hosing down at full time to stop him spontaneously combusting 😁

How has Clubcall not been mentioned on this thread yet?! I remember phoning up to hear the latest gossip from the dell after reading a teaser on teletext and then having to try to explain to my parents why the phone bill was so high. The worst part of it was that there was never any ACTUAL news on it, just suggestions and insinuations! 

• Like 1

Ceefax was like some weird addiction for me. When I was young, I'd pull up a chair, and sit staring at the 8bit screen waiting for Le Tissiers name to flash up. To be fair to my memory, his name was about 80% likely when it came to our goal scorers! 

Some years later I had a job in retail where we'd sell videos. On Saturdays I'd turn it on to ceefax much to the annoyance of everyone who worked with me, or shopped in the shop. Fortunately I was too good at the job to get canned. Must have been close though! lol

Page 302.......prem football hell yeah baby!!!!!

WGS after we beat Spurs to go 4th  "I'm going to go home and have a Coca Cola and a packet of crisps and stare at the table on Teletext for three hours," the Southampton boss quipped, hardly able to believe things were going so well.

8 minutes ago, 31cc said:

WGS after we beat Spurs to go 4th  "I'm going to go home and have a Coca Cola and a packet of crisps and stare at the table on Teletext for three hours," the Southampton boss quipped, hardly able to believe things were going so well.

Hopefully he got to that yogurt before it went off.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, paulwantsapint said:

I drove all night is that alright , goal cheer, comes to memory

remember

mum - saints were goal down at Norwich

then putting radio on for full time to hear

radio - Monkou scores

me - needed to win but a draws not bad

radio - & saints lead 5-4

That was a bit like me last Wednesday, I was at pub quiz and can’t have phones out during the rounds, and last I checked saints were 2-1 with about 10 minutes to go. Checked about 10 minutes lates to see spurs had just equalised to make it 3-3..! Put phone away with very mixed feelings, minute or so later looked and saw spurs had had a goal chalked off, one I thought would have made it it 4-3 spurs. Only on checking sky sports about 5 minutes later did I realise it was actually 2-3 Southampton……😁😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sibster said:

How has Clubcall not been mentioned on this thread yet?! I remember phoning up to hear the latest gossip from the dell after reading a teaser on teletext and then having to try to explain to my parents why the phone bill was so high. The worst part of it was that there was never any ACTUAL news on it, just suggestions and insinuations! 

Matt Jansen is taking a heck of a long time getting here to play.

Flashbacks of all those tense last minutes waiting for Grandstand's vidiprinter, or making sure I was near a shop window, if I was out, so I could catch the scores. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lampwick said:

The way it is -   Bruce Hornsby and the Range

‘Papa was a rollin’ stone’ for a few minutes before that to build the tension while the last few minutes of all the local games played out

and then the Bruce Hornsby piano riff would kick in to signify it was all over and we’d clung on for a point at Highfield Road. 

Great days 

Edited by Midfield_General

4 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

I will never, ever not be happy when remembering Teletext/Ceefax

2 random memories I have of Ceefax:

1. Trying to make a deal with God along the lines of "if saints score by the next refresh, I will do (random good thing)

2. I once "watched" a whole day's Ashes test from Australia through the night by watching the score refresh on Ceefax..Didn't want to disturb the mrs by having the radio on

2 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

2 random memories I have of Ceefax:

1. Trying to make a deal with God along the lines of "if saints score by the next refresh, I will do (random good thing)

2. I once "watched" a whole day's Ashes test from Australia through the night by watching the score refresh on Ceefax..Didn't want to disturb the mrs by having the radio on

Incredible 😂😂😂😂

These stories from everyone have been great to read.  

1 hour ago, sibster said:

Ha ha, clubcall. It was all utter crap. I remember they said we’d signed Alun Armstrong from Stockport when Dave Jones was manager, he was quite an exciting prospect at the time, the next day he signed for Middlesbrough. They always made you wait right until the end for the latest big transfer news, which like you say was pure speculation. 

1 hour ago, John Boy Saint said:

@saint1977 that’s the commentary overlay to find ~ I have searched hard for it @SuperSAINT especially as South Today showed it the next night and the Solent Commentator sounded like he needed hosing down at full time to stop him spontaneously combusting 😁

I remember it vividly!

“NEIL SHIPPERLEY TURNS IT HOOOOOMME!!!”