Gavin Bazunu

SuperSAINT

7 hours ago, Chez said:

Probably a good thread for one of those XG or XS stats.

Just a quick disclaimer that a few people are going to moan about this post so if you're one of them, please just don't read it. Nobody cares if you think it's nonsense or you can't/don't want to understand it, it's not meant for you. It is just a further indication of quite how bad Bazunu has been this season. 

The best way to judge keepers statistically is post-shot expected goals, as it actually takes into account the level of the shot being taken. If a player scores from 40 yards from a shot of 0.01 xG, it doesn't reflect properly on the fact that a keeper has a far larger chance than 0.01 of saving it. Bazunu has a PSxG of -11.1, which means statistically he's conceded 41 goals where the expectation is just 25.9. The most interesting thing about that to me is the fact that 25.9 is actually the 6th lowest in the league, behind just Newcastle, City, Arsenal, Brighton and United. 5 times who are a million miles further up the league than we are. This indicates that we haven't been terrible defensively this season, we've just been drastically let down by a goalkeepers underperformance. For comparison to the rest of the league, the next worst is Leeds (Meslier) at -5.8. 

It's actually statistically the worst season by a goalkeeper in Premier League history. Bazunu has also made 54 saves in the league, with only Arsenal, Brighton and City's keepers making less. This has him at a 55% save rate, meaning he's now almost conceding a goal for any save he has to make. We have had 92 shots on target against us, which again is within the top 5 of the league. The argument here could be that our defenders are constantly leaving him in situations where he's not able to make the saves, but that's why the PSxG number above disproves that point. 

TLDR - statistically we are within the top 5 fewest chances and shots on target faced each game, but Bazunu's underperformance is both the worst in the league by almost double, and the worst the PL has seen.

Edited by Saint Matty 76
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Just a quick disclaimer that a few people are going to moan about this post so if you're one of them, please just don't read it. Nobody cares if you think it's nonsense or you can't/don't want to understand it, it's not meant for you. It is just a further indication of quite how bad Bazunu has been this season. 

The best way to judge keepers statistically is post-shot expected goals, as it actually takes into account the level of the shot being taken. If a player scores from 40 yards from a shot of 0.01 xG, it doesn't reflect properly on the fact that a keeper has a far larger chance than 0.01 of saving it. Bazunu has a PSxG of -11.1, which means statistically he's conceded 41 goals where the expectation is just 25.9. The most interesting thing about that to me is the fact that 25.9 is actually the 6th lowest in the league, behind just Newcastle, City, Arsenal, Brighton and United. 5 times who are a million miles further up the league than we are. This indicates that we haven't been terrible defensively this season, we've just been drastically let down by a goalkeepers underperformance. For comparison to the rest of the league, the next worst is Leeds (Meslier) at -5.8. 

It's actually statistically the worst season by a goalkeeper in Premier League history. Bazunu has also made 54 saves in the league, with only Arsenal, Brighton and City's keepers making less. This has him at a 55% save rate, meaning he's now almost conceding a goal for any save he has to make. We have had 92 shots on target against us, which again is within the top 5 of the league. The argument here could be that our defenders are constantly leaving him in situations where he's not able to make the saves, but that's why the PSxG number above disproves that point. 

TLDR - statistically we are within the top 5 in the league for the amount of chances and shots on target faced each game, but Bazunu's underperformance is both the worst in the league by almost double, and the worst the PL has seen.

Fucking embarrassing for the lad. Get him gone.

7 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

TLDR - statistically we are within the top 5 in the league for the amount of chances and shots on target faced each game, but Bazunu's underperformance is both the worst in the league by almost double, and the worst the PL has seen.

Been obvious for a long time.  

3 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Been obvious for a long time.  

Don't disagree re: Bazunu's level, but I definitely was a little surprised to see how little our defence gives up on a whole in terms of chances/shots on goal. We're surrounded by all the teams at the top of league, whilst sitting in 20th ourselves. Just really emphasises how bad it is, and like I believe @Saint_clark mentioned, shows how easily we could have been out of this mess even with somebody like Forster.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Could you forward this to Rasmus and Ruben ?

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

TLDR - statistically we are within the top 5 fewest chances and shots on target faced each game, but Bazunu's underperformance is both the worst in the league by almost double, and the worst the PL has seen.

That makes for a harrowing read, but sounds about right. As many have said, it's hard to think of many saves the lad has made, which considering how many we've conceded is quite the achievement. He'll be well aware... I can't believe for a second that it isn't affecting him.

Considering Rasmus is a data freak, you'd think he'd be all over this.

1 hour ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Bazunu has a PSxG of -11.1, which means statistically he's conceded 41 goals where the expectation is just 25.9.

not sure I understand the math of those three figures -11.1, 41 and 25.9. Should that not be 29.9?

Seems like we don’t want to drop him to dent his confidence or something ..

you know players like edozie might not be ready either but he’s shown a lot more then bazunu and we are happy to drop him.

it’s quite bizzare to me especially in our situation that we keep persisting with him when he’s been a liability nearly all season and hardly had a great game .

this really isn’t time to mess about developing players that are not ready especially with a keeper . Is cabellero really that bad that no one can even consider it ?

5 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Don't disagree re: Bazunu's level, but I definitely was a little surprised to see how little our defence gives up on a whole in terms of chances/shots on goal. We're surrounded by all the teams at the top of league, whilst sitting in 20th ourselves. Just really emphasises how bad it is, and like I believe @Saint_clark mentioned, shows how easily we could have been out of this mess even with somebody like Forster.

Honestly, even I am surprised it's that bad. I didn't realise our defence was actually doing a relatively decent job, but if you think back there have been so many times where the match thread is filled with people saying "ffs they've scored with their first attack/shot on target". 

10 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

The best way to judge keepers statistically is post-shot expected goals, as it actually takes into account the level of the shot being taken.

Does it still take into account the subjective consideration of the tagger?

That’s pretty damning. The Leeds game is a case in point where we looked ok defensively but still ended losing to a scuffed shot that he didn’t get down to. I agree that with a decent keeper ( I include Forster in this) we would be 4 or 5 points better off. Seems nuts that we are set up defensively to the detriment of attacking play but we continue to play a keeper who just doesn’t make enough saves. Playing him all season is just below the appointment of jones in the list of self inflicted reasons why we are going down.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Honestly, even I am surprised it's that bad. I didn't realise our defence was actually doing a relatively decent job, but if you think back there have been so many times where the match thread is filled with people saying "ffs they've scored with their first attack/shot on target". 

I think it shows that our negative tactics are set up to protect our keeper, we've lost SO MANY games by a single goal, we're too scared to attack as we don't want to leave gaps at the back and risk the opponents having an opportunity as good chance they'll score from it. 

2 minutes ago, Galway saint said:

That’s pretty damning. The Leeds game is a case in point where we looked ok defensively but still ended losing to a scuffed shot that he didn’t get down to. I agree that with a decent keeper ( I include Forster in this) we would be 4 or 5 points better off. Seems nuts that we are set up defensively to the detriment of attacking play but we continue to play a keeper who just doesn’t make enough saves. Playing him all season is just below the appointment of jones in the list of self inflicted reasons why we are going down.

Completely agree, I work for a chap who follows Republic of Ireland home and away, his opinion is Gav isn't ready and should have had another season or two at league one / championship level, all feels a bit rushed for a player who still has a lot of developing to do. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Very interesting, thanks for posting that.

Didnt Selles come in to mainly work on the defence initially - if so, then this would back up that by and large it has been effective, apart from some utter brain farts from some defenders, and a shockingly consistent poor performance in goal.

I think AM will be in goal for Grimsby, and hopefully will stay in after that.

In a team where goals are few and far between, where a goal margin difference in most cases is making the difference between points on the table the stats just show that Bazunu is not the one. Especially in a season where you are in a bottom of the table relegation scrap, you cannot afford to take the gamble of a young in-experienced goal keeper in the hope that he becomes established and decent. 

Of course I am not going to come out and say he is the reason this year for why we are where we are, because the whole squad has been dreadful.  But it is highly apparent that these areas are highlighted because of the thin margins and because other areas of the field especially in attack are putting high pressure on the defence by lacking so much. 

I keep hearing from commentators that Bazunu has great distribution, talk of him as a great young goalkeeper and how he’s been one of our shining players this season- is this all because he’s a Man City graduate? Is it this that’s blinding the quite evident problem that fans that watch Saints week in week out see? 

What is then truly apparent is just how awful are goalkeeping situation really is. Who do we trust in that position going forward? 

You have to wonder who is in charge of the goalkeeping situation at the club. Watson has gone and he used to get al the blame.

We've gone from having Forster, McCarthy and Gunn all on big money with no clear number one to getting shot of Gunn, extending McCarthys contract and letting Forster go on a free then bringing in a player as number one who isn't any better than any of them. Now our best bet is a 41 year old who hasn't played regular football since 2014. It's an absolute shambles. 

• Like 1

Was just looking at saves of the week. First save is Pickford, second save is Areola, third save is Sa, fourth save is Martinez. All teams that are in/were in the relegation mix up. This is just the weekend! Let alone how many saves of these quality they have produced across the season. Has Bazunu produced a save that even gets close to any of these?

47 minutes ago, sydney_saint said:

Was just looking at saves of the week. First save is Pickford, second save is Areola, third save is Sa, fourth save is Martinez. All teams that are in/were in the relegation mix up. This is just the weekend! Let alone how many saves of these quality they have produced across the season. Has Bazunu produced a save that even gets close to any of these?

https://www.premierleague.com/video/single/3015793

He did receive a save of the month award recently! 

13 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

you know players like edozie might not be ready either but he’s shown a lot more then bazunu and we are happy to drop him.

First of all, for context, I like Edozie. I love players that dribble and try and take players on.

However, I have to question whether Edozie has shown `a lot more' than Bazunu. To compare the two, Bazunu would in general have to come on with five minutes left in a game and make a flashy save that ultimately goes in. That's pretty much all that Edozie has done. Made a couple of nice dribbles, but then failed to get a cross in or pick a man out for them to shoot/score. Keeper errors and underperformance is for all to see. The underperformance of left wingers is harder to judge. Overall though, Edozie hasn't really set the world on fire. If he can't get a regular place in a side that can't create or score goals how well has he done. 

That's not to say Bazunu has been good, he hasn't, and I'd of picked McCarthy over him all season, but shouldn't those failing to even make this side actually face more criticism than those in it doing badly? For some stupid reason the song "How shit must you be, if you can't get in this side" comes into my head.

13 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Yeah, this in particular isn't some crazy damning stat as ones such as Forest he didn't really have a hope in preventing -

1-2 vs Wolves, 2 shots on target faced
0-1 vs Forest, 1 shot on target faced
1-2 vs Fulham, 2 shots on target faced
1-4 vs Newcastle, 4 shots on target faced

I just can't help but feel like that is not normal though. 

5 hours ago, Chez said:

First of all, for context, I like Edozie. I love players that dribble and try and take players on.

However, I have to question whether Edozie has shown `a lot more' than Bazunu. To compare the two, Bazunu would in general have to come on with five minutes left in a game and make a flashy save that ultimately goes in. That's pretty much all that Edozie has done. Made a couple of nice dribbles, but then failed to get a cross in or pick a man out for them to shoot/score. Keeper errors and underperformance is for all to see. The underperformance of left wingers is harder to judge. Overall though, Edozie hasn't really set the world on fire. If he can't get a regular place in a side that can't create or score goals how well has he done. 

That's not to say Bazunu has been good, he hasn't, and I'd of picked McCarthy over him all season, but shouldn't those failing to even make this side actually face more criticism than those in it doing badly? For some stupid reason the song "How shit must you be, if you can't get in this side" comes into my head.

Guess you could argue edozie looks more promising at this stage, at least he has been very good with his one on one dribbling, whilst I’m not sure I’ve been impressed with anything from bazunus game. He’s more just come here with hype the same as Angus Gunn and been quite a big let down and also a liability currently.. wouldn’t really say edozie has been any worse then any of our other tens I’d prefer him over moi.

main point I was trying to make with this though is it just seems like bazunu  gets continuously played no matter how bad he performs at the moment it’s been pretty obvious for a good couple of months at least he’s costing us 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal

4 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Yeah, this in particular isn't some crazy damning stat as ones such as Forest he didn't really have a hope in preventing -

1-2 vs Wolves, 2 shots on target faced
0-1 vs Forest, 1 shot on target faced
1-2 vs Fulham, 2 shots on target faced
1-4 vs Newcastle, 4 shots on target faced

I just can't help but feel like that is not normal though. 

That is certainly not normal. That is harrowing.

• Like 3

I think because Bazanu was schooled at Man City, I think he's struggling with the setup at Southampton. Defenders need to be more forward with space in behind. I think he'll go on to be a good keeper with the right team, unless Southampton can adapt, which is unlikely this season. I would cash in on him and just get someone else in the summer

11 minutes ago, James G said:

I think because Bazanu was schooled at Man City, I think he's struggling with the setup at Southampton. Defenders need to be more forward with space in behind. I think he'll go on to be a good keeper with the right team, unless Southampton can adapt, which is unlikely this season. I would cash in on him and just get someone else in the summer

I agree. I think that’s part of his problems. He gets crowded by his own defenders. Doesn’t excuse his limp wrists though.

Does he always wear that dark strip? Perhaps if he wore dayglo orange he would look bigger. A Michelin Man suit too might block the odd extra shot.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I agree. I think that’s part of his problems. He gets crowded by his own defenders. Doesn’t excuse his limp wrists though.

Does he always wear that dark strip? Perhaps if he wore dayglo orange he would look bigger. A Michelin Man suit too might block the odd extra shot.

He needs to grow into Fraser Forster fast.

17 hours ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

That is certainly not normal. That is harrowing.

No normal person has his superpower to dodge shots that look certain to hit him. He's like Keanu Reeves in the Matrix.

0b4381b3313e3e2f9740a71a13439a08.jpg

Edited by Nordic Saint

17 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

main point I was trying to make with this though is it just seems like bazunu  gets continuously played no matter how bad he performs at the moment it’s been pretty obvious for a good couple of months at least he’s costing us 

Pretty sure that if McCarthy had been fit, Jones would have played him. Not sure how Selles will play it. And perhaps there lies our real problem. Not that Bazunu has not been ready to be first choice Prem keeper, but that our senior keeper is not good enough.

• Like 1

Bazunu has struggled for sure.

But it feels like we do concede alot of shots/chances from deep into the penalty area/just outside the 6 yard box. It feels like with alot of goals our defenders really don't give him a chance. (Brentford away springs to mind). It feels like we're quite easy to create cear cut chances again.

When our defence has been at its best/most resilient (United at home springs to mind) he seems like he's able to set up (at times).

At the end of it, we should never have had an inexperienced GK with an inexperienced defence. It hsa to one or the other.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, James G said:

But the stats show he also struggled at Man City. Saints B team put 6 goals past him in his last season there before he went on loan to Rochdale, where he also struggled:

Gavin Bazunu - Stats 19/20 | Transfermarkt

Gavin Bazunu - Stats 20/21 | Transfermarkt

3 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

We have a slim, slim chance of staying up this season. 

But it hinges on dropping Bazunu. We will not stay up with him as our number one all season long.

Neither McC nor Willy are better. Neither is Forster for that matter, before someone mentions that one again. For better or worse, I’d stick with him and try to build a settled defence. Five games in a row of KWP, ABK, Sali and Perraud in front of him and we might look a bit more cohesive.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Just now, Lighthouse said:

Neither McC nor Willy are better. Neither is Forster for that matter, before someone mentions that one again. For better or worse, I’d stick with him and try to build a settled defence. Five games in a row of KWP, ABK, Sali and Perraud in front of him and we might look a bit more cohesive.

They clearly are....

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Lighthouse said:

All three are better, there is not a single shred of evidence that Bazunu is better than any of them. They're not great but they have on many occasions put in performances that earned their sides points - Bazunu has not. We haven't kept a single clean sheet this season that we wouldn't have also got if we had Sammy the saint in goal, because the only clean sheets we've kept are when there are zero shots on target. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

They clearly are....

Willy has conceded 15 goals in his last 8 PL apps, which are spread across four seasons. Only two of those were playing for Saints and he conceded five, so I have no idea where you are getting that opinion from. You can trawl some of last season’s McC threads if you want but it’s a bit scary before bed time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

We stayed up in the Mark Hugues season vecause we dropped Forster for McCarthy. McCarthy was very good during the run in.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

There has never been worse take on this forum. Ever.

if we go down this year it will largely be Baz’s inability to make a save that takes us down.

Forster was a massive reason we stayed up last year

Just now, MAY-Z said:

There has never been worse take on this forum. Ever.

if we go down this year it will largely be Baz’s inability to make a save that takes us down.

Forster was a massive reason we stayed up last year

Nonsense. You can’t pin our performances on just the one player.

3 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Did nothing wrong today. Go find a different punchbag.

Was absolutely fantastic coming for that ball in the last minute and leaving an open goal wasn’t he. 

and his pass to the Leicester player was also fantastic 

You have just overtaken lighthouse for worse take on this forum

I don’t understand how anyone can say he has done a good (or even competent) job this season

Edited by MAY-Z