Joe Aribo

Matthew Le God

16 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

It’s quite funny reading this, I know we can unearth some nuggets, I also know we aren’t Newcastle’esk money no object. But seeing £10m on the table is getting some folks moist. After some of the transactions made by our peers in the league recently, by comparison we do seem to be shopping at B&M Bargains, or Home Bargain at a pinch.

Just got to hope that if we acquire some of these “tuppence ha’penny” players the new coaching set up can add the required polish to add the required lustre.

With Lavia and Aribo that would take our spending to around 45m only a month into the window and with no sales. I’d say that is pretty positive. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Reminds me a bit of Olise 

decent shout.

He's got that  modern `baller' style to him, with a willingness to take the football even with player up his arse, offering nice flicks and drag backs, and lots of dribbling, but sometimes he tries things that are just beyond him, the ball isn't quite under his control and then he looks more like Djenepo.

I'm nervous. I bigged him up when in league 1, when expectation would have been low. I just don't think he has excelled in the Scottish Prem and it will be a damn sight harder in the Prem. I am excited though. Maybe he can do it. We really need some players that want to dribble, get on the ball and stay on the ball to allow others time to move into space. For far too long we have not had any flair, just pass pass pass. We need someone other than Redmond willing and able to beat a man with skills.

Edited by Chez

18 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

It’s quite funny reading this, I know we can unearth some nuggets, I also know we aren’t Newcastle’esk money no object. But seeing £10m on the table is getting some folks moist. After some of the transactions made by our peers in the league recently, by comparison we do seem to be shopping at B&M Bargains, or Home Bargain at a pinch.

Just got to hope that if we acquire some of these “tuppence ha’penny” players the new coaching set up can add the required polish to add the required lustre.

I think it's clear we finally have some money, but we needed/need to do so much work on the squad as a whole that we cannot really splurge most of our budget on a 'name' signing in this window, plus I don't really think that's our strategy. This is what I've been crying out for years to be honest. I never wanted or expected us to become Newcastle or Villa, throwing £40m at players, I just wanted a club that could be flexible in the market and attempt to build a competitive/progressive team without having to work out mathematical equations of who to sell before they could do that.

I accept our place and that we will sell players in the future, but having that bit of flexibility to do stuff in advance of sales is a breath of fresh air really.

• Like 5

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

Is he an attacking midfielder then? I had thought he was a box to box type.

Attacking number 10 type. Lavia is the 'DM' type midfielder. 

I do like how we're working down the team!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Almost like the club know what they're doing.

I've just commented on a post on Facebook sarcastically calling for Ralph out, board out because they're afraid to spend etc. You know the type of satire.

Had at least 4 people take me seriously lol. At first I thought that were silly for not spotting the sarcasm but now I'm thinking maybe that's just the norm for our fans to be like!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Almost like the club know what they're doing.

I've just commented on a post on Facebook sarcastically calling for Ralph out, board out because they're afraid to spend etc. You know the type of satire.

Had at least 4 people take me seriously lol. At first I thought that were silly for not spotting the sarcasm but now I'm thinking maybe that's just the norm for our fans to be like!

To be fair it's probably the norm! It's a strange situation to be in though, progressively improving the team with no sign of sales. (Let's hope we haven't agreed to sell JWP and Salisu 😃as that would throw my argument into the sea!)

Hey guys, Rangers fan here, just wanted to jump on to the forum to tell you what kind of player you’ll be getting.

First of all, sounds as if the race is between you and Palace but that you guys are going to win it. To which I say, congratulations, because you’re getting a hell of a player.

First of all, one of the things to understand about Joe is that his intangibles are off-the-charts good. He’s reliable (played 70 games last year), consistent and versatile (he played every outfield position bar two (RB and CB) for us). Above all, he’s a really likeable guy and there’s not a Rangers fan who has a bad word to say about him. Easy to root for. Never complains. His best position is as a No.10 but you can play him as a No.8 too.

On to the pitch, and the first thing that stands out is his control and dribbling. He has the best first touch of any player I’ve ever seen - there are numerous clips of him just instantly controlling a ball falling from the moon with one touch. He also has the ability to beat a man 1v1, and often multiple men (check his goal in the 3-2 win vs Braga to see what I mean - he scored it while playing left back FWIW).

Hes also surprisingly good at winning the ball back, and he’s extremely athletic. He has other strings to his bow, but these are his main selling points.

Downsides are he doesn’t get great numbers, but if you have plenty of that in your team then I wouldn’t worry about it.

Overall, he’s just a brilliant player to watch and definitely one to get excited about. Rangers fans love him but understand that three years is a long time at any club, and that for the London boys the PL is a big draw. I’ve no doubt he’ll be a success for you - he’s done it against some top teams in Europe in recent years, which are a higher standard than all bar two EPL teams. Enjoy him you lucky bastards!

• Like 50

10 minutes ago, Rangers72 said:

Hey guys, Rangers fan here, just wanted to jump on to the forum to tell you what kind of player you’ll be getting.

First of all, sounds as if the race is between you and Palace but that you guys are going to win it. To which I say, congratulations, because you’re getting a hell of a player.

First of all, one of the things to understand about Joe is that his intangibles are off-the-charts good. He’s reliable (played 70 games last year), consistent and versatile (he played every outfield position bar two (RB and CB) for us). Above all, he’s a really likeable guy and there’s not a Rangers fan who has a bad word to say about him. Easy to root for. Never complains. His best position is as a No.10 but you can play him as a No.8 too.

On to the pitch, and the first thing that stands out is his control and dribbling. He has the best first touch of any player I’ve ever seen - there are numerous clips of him just instantly controlling a ball falling from the moon with one touch. He also has the ability to beat a man 1v1, and often multiple men (check his goal in the 3-2 win vs Braga to see what I mean - he scored it while playing left back FWIW).

Hes also surprisingly good at winning the ball back, and he’s extremely athletic. He has other strings to his bow, but these are his main selling points.

Downsides are he doesn’t get great numbers, but if you have plenty of that in your team then I wouldn’t worry about it.

Overall, he’s just a brilliant player to watch and definitely one to get excited about. Rangers fans love him but understand that three years is a long time at any club, and that for the London boys the PL is a big draw. I’ve no doubt he’ll be a success for you - he’s done it against some top teams in Europe in recent years, which are a higher standard than all bar two EPL teams. Enjoy him you lucky bastards!

Thank you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Said in the other thread and the Rangers guy probably confirms that is his best position but he spent most of last season playing centre-mid or DM according whoscored.  

And actually played a lot of different positions. 

I'm presuming we are signing him for our no.10 positions, but he also gives a lot more flexibility if we want to change systems, even during game as he seems to be able to play almost anywhere so if we switched to a back 5 with 3 in the middle he could drop into the 3 in the middle or give us something different up top or play as a more traditional no.10 rather than our 'wide' no.10s. 

42 minutes ago, alehouseboys said:

Looks like they're saying we've got him for £6m + add-ons, if he lives up to expectations then that's clearly a steal. Even if he doesn't quite hit the levels suggested, it's still a relatively small outlay. What's not to like?

Quite frankly all he needs to be is better than Moi to improve our team so chances are it’s £6m well spent, a pittance by modern standards.

This looks like a bargain at £6m, if we end up paying £10m he’s been a success.

Sounds like his numbers are a little low but if he’s played the majority of games at CM/DM then what can you expect. Prowsey had great numbers from there and we value him at £75m!

On the surface it’s a good value transfer with welcome flexibility. 

8 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

To be fair it's probably the norm! It's a strange situation to be in though, progressively improving the team with no sign of sales. (Let's hope we haven't agreed to sell JWP and Salisu 😃as that would throw my argument into the sea!)

Though I don't want to sell JWP, every player has their price and there's certain amounts that we'd be silly to turn down however I am much more confident that any fees from his sale will be reinvested sensibly.

6 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Ross Wilson doesn’t get the quoted price shocker, looks like we’re paying just over half initially of the £10m they wanted. (His release clause).

wonder if he'll take the credit for the deal. Remember the transfer gurus biggest achievement in football to date is selling Scott Arfield to Huddersfield

1 hour ago, Rangers72 said:

Thanks for your views, looking forward to seeing him play. If he's half as good as the last player we signed from you guys (Davis) then we'll be sorted.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

Said in the other thread and the Rangers guy probably confirms that is his best position but he spent most of last season playing centre-mid or DM according whoscored.  

And actually played a lot of different positions. 

I'm presuming we are signing him for our no.10 positions, but he also gives a lot more flexibility if we want to change systems, even during game as he seems to be able to play almost anywhere so if we switched to a back 5 with 3 in the middle he could drop into the 3 in the middle or give us something different up top or play as a more traditional no.10 rather than our 'wide' no.10s. 

Gerrard had him playing as part of a flat midfield three or as a narrow 10 - he can play either but when Gio came in he played further forward a lot more.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rangers72 said:

Interesting - are Southampton fans not keen on Wilson? We have mixed feelings on him too but would be curious to know your thoughts on him

He signed Hoedt, Carillo, Lemina and Boufal for a combined £70m. We had to pay them all to leave. Make of that what you will.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Just now, Rangers72 said:

Interesting - are Southampton fans not keen on Wilson? We have mixed feelings on him too but would be curious to know your thoughts on him

Ah, that's a funny topic! He will always be held in upmost distain by most supporters here. He pretty much single handily destroyed our upward trajectory by splurging over £130m on players we had to give away for free and in some cases, pay off. Carillo, Hoedt, Lemina, Boufal to name just a few. Those signings in both wages and transfer fee's haunted us for years and only now are we beginning to recover. How this didn't end up relegating us is more by luck than anything else.

We had a mini fortune from the VVD sale and we wasted every single penny on his recommendations. (Ings is prob the only exception)

And let's not go down the road of Forster signing two contracts within 2 years....

• Sad 1

£6m seems an absolute steal and a no brainier for a player with European experience. 

Especially when you consider he had a low buy out clause and we’ve just paid £12m for a young lad who’s not played a first team game. 

Well done all involved. 

2 hours ago, Rangers72 said:

Appreciate you taking the time to give us that insight. I really liked him at Charlton, he seemed to stagnate in his first season at your place, but sounds like he has shown what he can do over the last couple of years. I had always thought if we went for a Rangers player it would be Ryan Kent as he impressed me greatly a couple of years ago. Is he still a shining light?

12 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Dont we have a saints fan living in Glasgow who could surely give us some local insights?

No need, we have Wikipedia for that 😃

Glasgow (/ˈɡlɑːzɡ, ˈɡlæzɡ/ GLAHZ-goh, GLAZ-goh; Scots: Glesca or Glesga; Scottish Gaelic: Glaschu) is the most populous city in Scotland and the fourth-most populous city in the United Kingdom, as well as being the 27th largest city by population in Europe.[7] In 2020, it had an estimated population of 635,640. Straddling the border between historic Lanarkshire and Renfrewshire, the city now forms the Glasgow City Council area, one of the 32 council areas of Scotland, and is governed by Glasgow City Council. It is situated on the River Clyde in the country's West Central Lowlands.

35 minutes ago, Dman said:

£6m seems an absolute steal and a no brainier for a player with European experience. 

Especially when you consider he had a low buy out clause and we’ve just paid £12m for a young lad who’s not played a first team game. 

Well done all involved. 

I agree with your sentiments but how long do you think it will take for them to make an impact in the PL which is a more intense environment than what they have been experienced before.

I would be great if they started to influence games immediately but it will take time as has happened with Adam Armstrong but of course not with Tino

A good player but not entirely sure how he will fit in. Definitely better as a #10, goes through periods of ups and downs out wide and, contrary to a couple of mentions, I don’t recall him ever playing a defensive centre midfield role. Big and strong, good on the ball but zero pace. Strength is getting on the ball and creating rather than providing much supply from the wing. Also did a turn up front in the latter part of the season when there were no strikers available, used his physique well up there. The Rangers fan above mentioned about the goal he scored whilst covering left back - this was in a European tie where he came off the bench at left back due to an injury crisis, he never played there again.

Main concern would be that he has played an awful lot of football over the last couple of seasons and his performance - understandably - dropped off quite badly for a couple of months after Christmas this year as he was almost certainly knackered. Seemed to largely stay clear of injuries despite this though which is good - hopefully that continues and he comes in refreshed for this season.

I expect his success will be dependent on how we look to utilise him for the price you can’t complain too much.

10 minutes ago, Matty's Caddy said:

This bloke looks dogshit. There ya go, I’ve said it. Dunno what the rest of you lot are liking the look of…..

You sound dogshite

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Matty's Caddy said:

This bloke looks dogshit. There ya go, I’ve said it. Dunno what the rest of you lot are liking the look of…..

He played more football than any other player in world football,so yea,must be dogshit

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SFC Chris said:

A good player but not entirely sure how he will fit in. Definitely better as a #10, goes through periods of ups and downs out wide and, contrary to a couple of mentions, I don’t recall him ever playing a defensive centre midfield role. Big and strong, good on the ball but zero pace. Strength is getting on the ball and creating rather than providing much supply from the wing. Also did a turn up front in the latter part of the season when there were no strikers available, used his physique well up there. The Rangers fan above mentioned about the goal he scored whilst covering left back - this was in a European tie where he came off the bench at left back due to an injury crisis, he never played there again.

Main concern would be that he has played an awful lot of football over the last couple of seasons and his performance - understandably - dropped off quite badly for a couple of months after Christmas this year as he was almost certainly knackered. Seemed to largely stay clear of injuries despite this though which is good - hopefully that continues and he comes in refreshed for this season.

I expect his success will be dependent on how we look to utilise him for the price you can’t complain too much.

We aren't in Europe and Nigeria aren't at the World Cup so I think he'll get plenty of rest. He played 54 games in all comps last year, he won't get near that for us next season. 

Anyone not going to World Cup this year essentially gets a long winter break, which will be most of our team I reckon. 

23 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

We aren't in Europe and Nigeria aren't at the World Cup so I think he'll get plenty of rest. He played 54 games in all comps last year, he won't get near that for us next season. 

Anyone not going to World Cup this year essentially gets a long winter break, which will be most of our team I reckon. 

All i've read here is that we won't suffer from a tiring squad, bad injuries, and a losing streak over the second half of the season - so we're on for Europe 🙈 😋

Happy Chris Pratt GIF by Parks and Recreation

Edited by Saint86

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Dont we have a saints fan living in Glasgow who could surely give us some local insights?

Was probably playing a lot of golf last season. That or made a ton from ‘insurance’ betting. 

11 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

It’s bloody obvious JWP and Salisu aren’t being sold they are both in all the new leaflets and in the new shirt promotions.

4 hours ago, Rangers72 said:

I’m a saints fan but also Rangers fan , my dad’s allegiance. I’ve watched a lot of games this season. Aribo is quality. From what I’ve heard Joe said he wanted a move to the Premier, the board respected that and of course his sale will help new signings.

I see the Gers are getting Paok striker Cole’s for £1.2m sounds like a bargain. Ignore what the moaners say Ross Wilson a good guy. 
reckon he’s trying to replicate our system. Give him time it’s not an overnight job

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tajjuk said:

A sad, but realistic, comment - and to think it wasn't that long ago when every Saint on the pitch was an international.

• Like 1

I've watched a fair bit of Rangers this season, and not overly impressed with him. He's a big physical presence, but you need lots more than that to succeed in the Premier League. Can occasionally land one in the top corner, but that's after he's knocked out all the fans behind the goal. Decision making also seems slow, which is fine when you are Rangers with the opposition camped out on the goaline, but not here. Also a bit unsure about attitude. The second half of the season he was going through the motions and contributed to Rangers losing the title. How will that attitude work with our press? On a positive, definitely some decent raw ingredients. Power and some technical skills. 

Edited by sydney_saint

1 hour ago, sydney_saint said:

I've watched a fair bit of Rangers this season, and not overly impressed with him. He's a big physical presence, but you need lots more than that to succeed in the Premier League. Can occasionally land one in the top corner, but that's after he's knocked out all the fans behind the goal. Decision making also seems slow, which is fine when you are Rangers with the opposition camped out on the goaline, but not here. Also a bit unsure about attitude. The second half of the season he was going through the motions and contributed to Rangers losing the title. How will that attitude work with our press? On a positive, definitely some decent raw ingredients. Power and some technical skills. 

Agreed, he's never looked anything more than 'ok' when I've watched Rangers, I'm not convinced he's much better than what we have and seems to lack pace which we are crying out for. On the plus side it's nice that we're signing someone who hasn't just got out of nappies and the Rangers fans who see him every week seem to rate him highly but then Moi also looked good in the SPL.

A fee of £6-10m means it's a relatively low risk gamble so I'm not opposed to the signing, just not too excited by it either.