Joe Aribo

Matthew Le God

Well I’m ruddy excited about this possible acquisition. 
I watch rangers when I can and I won’t deny I’m a keen admirer of Aribo. 
never shied away and always stood out in the Rangers,Celtic Derby.

this could be a great bit of business for the sums of money being mentioned. 

Just now, sibster said:

I'm not going to lie, I've not heard of the player before but it sounds like it could be a sweet deal (yes I'm aware this dad joke has probably been used already.....) 😁

He's a good player. He was a star at Charlton at a young age, he was linked to quite a few top flight clubs before he left there (I think we were linked at that point). He's gone and developed at Rangers during a really strong period of them, a key performer in Europe as well as the SPL.

Comes in at a good age, still has some development and growth in him, but has experience at decent levels to be able to make an impact straight away.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

He's a good player. He was a star at Charlton at a young age, he was linked to quite a few top flight clubs before he left there (I think we were linked at that point). He's gone and developed at Rangers during a really strong period of them, a key performer in Europe as well as the SPL.

Comes in at a good age, still has some development and growth in him, but has experience at decent levels to be able to make an impact straight away.

Thanks for that. Fingers crossed the deal happens then as he sounds like he could be a handy player!

Would imagine we intend to use him as a #10 in the 4-2-2-2 as he certainly isn't a sitting midfielder, but he would also work well in a 3 man midfield and has covered up front for them.

Left footed but reminds me a little of someone like Smith-Rowe in style.

Probably further indication that the likes of Walcott and Djenepo are on borrowed time and also Armstrong is so injury prone and I think thats the position that suits him best, playing inside from the right.

Edited by Dusic

6 minutes ago, eurosaint said:

I hesitate to say this but in the clips he reminds me of Djenepo 😃

Can draw some comparison. Aribo is prone to over hitting one of his skills and looking as though he’s not in total control, which he can get away with in Scotland, whether he can get away with it in the Premier League where space and time aren’t given is going to be the question. Whereas, Djenepo doesn’t know what he’s doing with his feet himself. Djenepo also misses large parts of seasons, whereas I believe Aribo played the most football of any professional footballer last season, so he’ll be as reliable as JWP.

But, as I said yesterday, £10m is a good price and worth taking the gamble. Have to watch out for that contract, though with him running down both his Charlton and Rangers contracts. 

• Like 1

Think this is an exciting potential signing - another example of strengthening of the spine of the team and one that can be deployed immediately. Djenepo and possibly Walcott will be surplus, but maybe part of a deeper squad. Hope we see this one done and dusted sooner rather than later.

Very highly rated at Charlton and we were interested in him at the time but he went to Rangers and seems to have impressed there and got better. Would be a good signing for the price in a position we need two players in. A good start to the attacking side of things if we get it over the line.

Another potentially great signing. 

So impressed with what we have achieved already in the window and no doubt more to come. We'll look like a completely different team next season with more speed, athleticism and energy. 

• Like 2

Good player, good signing. 

Probably the only player we’ll have, other than Armstrong, that will allow us to play a genuine 4222 with two genuine 10’s. 

£10m a bit of a steal in this market. 

Good business. 

13 minutes ago, Matty's Caddy said:

Andros townsend one trick ponyesque. 

Looked a bit Lallanaesque in the YouTube clip to me.

In a good way. No alice band.

Interesting to know what’s he like out of possession. Whoscored makes positive reading though:

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/342877/Show/Joe-Ayodele-Aribo

Other articles mention Fulham, Palace & Forest interest

• Like 1

my post copied from the Transfer thread:

Aribo is not pacey, he's a ball player, nice touch, good feet, lots of tricks and dribbles. 

I really liked him at Charlton and suggested we take him on a free three year ago on the annual summer transfer thread. As Turkish keeps reminding me, someone at SFC was listening, as we apparently made an offer to him at the time. 

If I'm honest, I'm not sure his game has progressed all that much since then. The first year at Rangers he was pretty poor, but since then he has played a lot more and started to do things he did at Charlton. I guess it's a higher level, so that perhaps does show progress. 

He's good to watch, will help us retain the ball, but I'm not sure there is the pace, power and end product you might be after. He is more than willing to try things, but he can be a little loose and the ball often is running away from him/not quite under control. I am not totally convinced he is the answer or will blossom into something more.

Maybe I'm just having a case of buyers nerves. I hope he is the guy we need. Our flair players lack flair.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

Not saying either of you are right, but a contrast opinion from the Rangers forum just now -

"£10m for Joe Aribo should see the fraud squad phoned in because that is day light robbery.

We got him as raw potential for a steal. Looks like someones getting him as a fully developed top European footballer for a steal."

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/joe-aribo-has-not-turned-down-a-new-rangers-contract.212134/page-6

2 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Not saying either of you are right, but a contrast opinion from the Rangers forum just now -

"£10m for Joe Aribo should see the fraud squad phoned in because that is day light robbery.

We got him as raw potential for a steal. Looks like someones getting him as a fully developed top European footballer for a steal."

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/joe-aribo-has-not-turned-down-a-new-rangers-contract.212134/page-6

does their forum go back to he McCant days? I'd be interested to know how much they rated him. My memory ain't great, but I seem to recall them thinking he was  great too...and he was, well, shite. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Mixed reviews, and some questioning how he’ll cope in our league, but mostly favourable.

Apparently hasn’t done it in high pressure old firm matches, but not sure without researching it whether not selected or not ‘turned up’

32 minutes ago, Chez said:

my post copied from the Transfer thread:

Aribo is not pacey, he's a ball player, nice touch, good feet, lots of tricks and dribbles. 

I really liked him at Charlton and suggested we take him on a free three year ago on the annual summer transfer thread. As Turkish keeps reminding me, someone at SFC was listening, as we apparently made an offer to him at the time. 

If I'm honest, I'm not sure his game has progressed all that much since then. The first year at Rangers he was pretty poor, but since then he has played a lot more and started to do things he did at Charlton. I guess it's a higher level, so that perhaps does show progress. 

He's good to watch, will help us retain the ball, but I'm not sure there is the pace, power and end product you might be after. He is more than willing to try things, but he can be a little loose and the ball often is running away from him/not quite under control. I am not totally convinced he is the answer or will blossom into something more.

Maybe I'm just having a case of buyers nerves. I hope he is the guy we need. Our flair players lack flair.

Chez as someone who has watched him a lot if you could compare him to another player? Who is he most like ?

Can’t say I know much about him, and I don’t believe you can look at too much in the scottish league is such a poor standard, but £10m in a position we clearly need some signings, he looks an upgrade for sure. 

Reminds me a bit of Olise 

Edited by Saint Garrett

1 minute ago, Saint Garrett said:

Can’t say I know much about him, and I don’t believe you can look at too much in the scottish league is such a poor standard, but £10m in a position we clearly need some signings, he looks an upgrade for sure. 

Reminds me a bit of Olise 

Have we ever bought a duffer from the SPL? I can’t think of any tbh.

It’s quite funny reading this, I know we can unearth some nuggets, I also know we aren’t Newcastle’esk money no object. But seeing £10m on the table is getting some folks moist. After some of the transactions made by our peers in the league recently, by comparison we do seem to be shopping at B&M Bargains, or Home Bargain at a pinch.

Just got to hope that if we acquire some of these “tuppence ha’penny” players the new coaching set up can add the required polish to add the required lustre.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

It’s quite funny reading this, I know we can unearth some nuggets, I also know we aren’t Newcastle’esk money no object. But seeing £10m on the table is getting some folks moist. After some of the transactions made by our peers in the league recently, by comparison we do seem to be shopping at B&M Bargains, or Home Bargain at a pinch.

Just got to hope that if we acquire some of these “tuppence ha’penny” players the new coaching set up can add the required polish to add the required lustre.

Almost all the big money signings we have signed in the past have been flops so I'm happy if this is our tactic. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Almost all the big money signings we have signed in the past have been flops so I'm happy if this is our tactic. 

It's hard to disagree with that. For all our 15m plus signings...

- Osvaldo - not a terrible player, but mentally shot.

- Lemina - dross

- Hoedt - Dross

- Vestergaard - dross

- Boufal - dross

- Carillo dross

- Elyounoussi - dross

- Armstrong - jury out, but signs aren't great.

- Ings - success

- Mane - success (that one was an up to £20m deal)

75-80% fail rate with our big money signings.  Over £100m down the shitter on Ross Wilsons watch.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2